AT&T asks court to pull Verizon's 'misleading' iPhone ads

Comments

• Reply 61 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surebet07 View Post

Here in the midwest, service is fine. In my home, I actually get 4-5 bars now....AT&T must have opened up a new frequency or installed a new tower.

I am in the Midwest as well, and service is pretty good, generally speaking. The reason you're seeing an increase in signal, however, is because the deal between AT&T and Centennial is finally official, so I imagine AT&T is now in the process of switching all the Centennial stuff over to them, and a Centennial tower by your house might be one of them.
  • Reply 62 of 133
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RoboNerd View Post

Even Verizon doesn't make this claim. Source please.

I'm looking at Verizon's own maps and they don't claim Rev A in all places they claim 3G. Remember -- anything CDMA is technically 3G; that doesn't make it faster than EDGE. That is why those ads are misleading.

My point is that Verizon does have better high-speed coverage; but that doesn't mean they should exaggerate it.

Verizon completely upgraded their entire ev-do rev 0 network to ev-do rev A technology in 2007.

http://www2.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/s...4618056&EDATE=

EVERY single square mile of that red area on the Verizon 3G map is ev-do rev A --- 3.1 mbps peak max download speed, average 600kbps-1400kbps download speed.

http://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/do...comparison.pdf

For your information, Prince McLean is a hack --- ev-do rev 0 has a 2.1 mbps peak theoretical download speed and average 400-700kbps. EDGE has a 384 kbps peak theoretical download speed and averages 150 kbps. The average ev-do rev 0 speed is about 3.7x faster than EDGE. Only idiots would believe Prince's spiel that ev-do rev 0 is about the same speed as EDGE.
  • Reply 63 of 133
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

@YodaMac,

Care, I Do Not

(and I'd wager, neither does Verizon)

That's a wager you would lose. If Verizon doesn't care that a significant amount of iPhone customers are switchers to iPhone and AT&T then why go with an attack add campaign against AT&T? .... not to mention the veiled reference to iPhone.
  • Reply 64 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

That's a wager you would lose. If Verizon doesn't care that a significant amount of iPhone customers are switchers to iPhone and AT&T then why go with an attack add campaign against AT&T? .... not to mention the veiled reference to iPhone.

"Veiled" reference? I'd hardly say it's veiled, from the "DroidDoes" campaign to an iPhone being used in EVERY single AT&T attack ad, to the most blatant one, the misfit toys ad (which, even being an iPhone lover and being satisfied with AT&T, I still found amusing).
  • Reply 65 of 133
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

yep 3 a month for VVM, 7 a month for insurance, I think VZ navigator is another 10, and they also have a video service that can be an extra 20 a month.

I mean, it's not so much weirder than AT&T charging 20 a month for unlimited text messaging on the iphone when it's included on plans for other phones...

$350 to determine if you'll be with verizon for 2 years is a bit steep. Maybe that's for a 1 year contract?

Well...

At least they offer an insurance policy on ALL of their smartphones.
  • Reply 66 of 133
    Quote:

What significant amount?

AT&T managed to beat Verizon last quarter by a tiny 200K in retail net subscriber additions --- on a iphone launch full quarter. This is it --- that's as good as it gets.
  • Reply 67 of 133
    Quote:

Well...

Apple doesn't allow an insurance policy through carriers for the iPhone, they make sure everything is taken care of through AppleCare, so it wasn't really AT&T's choice not to offer it.
  • Reply 68 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I really don't care how much red is on that map if I can't use to to connect to my iPhone, it really appears Verizon is a little scared here. And I'd like to point out that most Verizon phones are useless once you leave the country, AT&T should publish a map of the entire planet to show you where their phones work.

Yes thats what people should say....Once you leave the country ...because its almost a must if you travel or plan to travel outside our shrinking world to the rest of the wide world community where the rest of the world phones work just fine ha most of the U.S. (ver) phones would just be junk as I have one here in manila that I brought with me when i came over and it just sat in the drawer because in asia its junk ....but all of the other phones that you buy here whaaa will sure work when you come to the states....come on people I dont care who says they are best but the United States needs to come up to speed with the rest of the world with data networks its time we all are on the same networks world wide .....as well as bringing more open line devices to the public so people have a choice its all about choice as well....like in a few asian countries where apple cant sell the iphone locked ... yes think about it...some other countries have more smartphone freedom than we do..."Amazing" will say when I do eventually move back to the states that one thing I will miss and thats being about to purchase any sim card for less than a buck and be able to use any service I want purchase prepaid time that cheap and be able to surf, email, ect...with it...and never be tied down to no one....yes I had a data plan but found it better to buy pre pay minutes as It just gives you that freedom....shoot here I even have a prepaid sim card remade with the same number with no problem at all...Im just frankly wowed buy the freedom with cell service here ....yes the call lines may not always be one hundred percent clear when talking but people the freedom is there....
  • Reply 69 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sincere View Post

Yes thats what people should say....Once you leave the country ...because its almost a must if you travel or plan to travel outside our shrinking world to the rest of the wide world community where the rest of the world phones work just fine ha most of the U.S. (ver) phones would just be junk as I have one here in manila that I brought with me when i came over and it just sat in the drawer because in asia its junk ....but all of the other phones that you buy here whaaa will sure work when you come to the states....come on people I dont care who says they are best but the United States needs to come up to speed with the rest of the world with data networks its time we all are on the same networks world wide .....as well as bringing more open line devices to the public so people have a choice its all about choice as well....like in a few asian countries where apple cant sell the iphone locked ... yes think about it...some other countries have more smartphone freedom than we do..."Amazing" will say when I do eventually move back to the states that one thing I will miss and thats being about to purchase any sim card for less than a buck and be able to use any service I want purchase prepaid time that cheap and be able to surf, email, ect...with it...and never be tied down to no one....yes I had a data plan but found it better to buy pre pay minutes as It just gives you that freedom....shoot here I even have a prepaid sim card remade with the same number with no problem at all...Im just frankly wowed buy the freedom with cell service here ....yes the call lines may not always be one hundred percent clear when talking but people the freedom is there....

Go and take a look at the wired.com survey results and the G7 industrial world iphone plan prices.

The US has the largest iphone data allowance per month, the second cheapest iphone data plan in the G7 and the third fastest 3G iphone data speed in the world.
  • Reply 70 of 133
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surebet07 View Post

Wow. If adding a record number of customers, achieving the lowest industry churn, and returning the highest profit margins (Wireless) is your definition of "blown it", what would you define as a success? Was Verizon a success by saying "no" to Apple?

As far as the snickering at that one Apple event, it was located in San Fran where there are a LARGE number of iPhone users. Yes, AT&T does have a performance issue there. That doesn't mean that this situation exists everywhere. Here in the midwest, service is fine. In my home, I actually get 4-5 bars now....AT&T must have opened up a new frequency or installed a new tower.

The stats you quote are courtesy of Apple, not anything AT&T has done. My defintion of "blown it" is when Apple hands you these numbers via the iPhone and you can't build a network to reliably keep up with it. Certainly all these years of record profits thanks to iPhone subscribers should have helped cure the network "growing pains" that everyone seems to blame AT&T's service quality on. Or at least enough to (God forbid) actually support both MMS <and> tethering on the iPhone (gasp!).

To your second point, considering the large number of iPhone users, I would expect San Fran to have to have adequate 3G service to support its users, considering that it is a metro area with AT&T's vastly superior 3G technology. Obviously your personal experience with service is not a situation that exists everywhere either, otherwise AT&T would not have the reputation that it has.
  • Reply 71 of 133
    If i'm in Last Standing Farmhouse, North Dakota, and I have Verizon, I'm still getting megabit downloads. If I'm in the same place with AT&T, I'm getting EDGE -- if lucky and close to a major highway. There's nothing whatsoever dishonest about the advertising.

Almost all the US mobile companies are the ossified descendents of Ma Bell, but none more so than AT&T. They should be embarrassed that Bell Atlantic-GTE-parts-of-Ameritech Mobile-PacBell-26-separate-billing-systems-string-and-tin-can-billed-as-"smartphone"-megamutt-Corp® -- sorry, Verizon -- is so easily showing them up like this.
  • Reply 72 of 133
    "The map attributed to AT&T shows large swaths of white or blank space, as if these are areas in which AT&T has no coverage whatsoever," the suit stated. "By depicting AT&T's non-3G coverage as white or blank space in the map used in Verizon's print advertisement, consumers are being misled into believing that AT&T's customers have no coverage whatsoever and thus cannot use their wireless devices when they are outside of AT&T's depicted coverage area."

AT&T expressed urgency over the campaign, noting that the ads are airing during the "most vigorous and important marketing season for the wireless industry." Verizon responded by dropping some phrases in its ads that suggested users outside of AT&T's 3G coverage would be "out of touch," and added small print noting "voice & data services available outside 3G coverage areas."

In its expanded complaint, AT&T says "Verizon is running a series of advertisements which falsely communicate that AT&T does not have wireless data coverage throughout much of the United States. [?] Contrary to the image presented in the Verizon ads, our wireless network is pervasive. It covers over 300 million people, or 97 percent of the U.S. population. Our fastest, or 3G, network covers approximately 233 million people, or 75 percent of the U.S. population."

Seems AT&T has a case here. Verizon already made some minor adjustments which suggests they know they were overstepping.
  • Reply 73 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

If i'm in Last Standing Farmhouse, North Dakota, and I have Verizon, I'm still getting megabit downloads. If I'm in the same place with AT&T, I'm getting EDGE -- if lucky and close to a major highway. There's nothing whatsoever dishonest about the advertising.

The average consumer will think 3G coverage = ALL forms of coverage. That's the issue.
  • Reply 74 of 133
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The average consumer will think 3G coverage = ALL forms of coverage. That's the issue.

Well it's not Verizon's fault if the average consumer is a fool, is it?
  • Reply 75 of 133
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The ad only mentions 3G, I don't get the complaint even though I am an iPhone user and AT&T user (where I get coverage lol). I guess I get the inference that you can't use the iPhone outside of the red area ... Verizon are overstepping there. For our annual summer stay at our home in the mountains I had to use Edge the entire time but it worked ... sort of.

verizon used a apple blurb and tied that with a false map.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is so lame, how are these ads misleading in any way? It's an accurate map of 3G coverage with the description "map of 3G coverage." This is just a malicious lawsuit.

its 7 law suits in total . ATT is not stupid ,They tested the water last week at the USA jUSTICE dept .

AND todays multi class action suit is a very strong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

ATT coverage - even in "3G areas" - is often underbuilt and oversubscribed.

If this map reflected density of 3G customers per tower, ATT would look even worse.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Classic! In the complaint! for the record!!

Regardless of what the outcome, Verizon has produced some absolutely amazing ads lately.

Quote:

@YodaMac,

Care, I Do Not

(and I'd wager, neither does Verizon)

you will eat your words

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Sorry folks. IMHO, the iPhone walking through the snow, leads ME to believe the iPhone isn't as good a phone.

My attention is on the object, not the words being said. Don't forget, this is the Land of misfits, not misfit service. If they really want the service area / type to be the focus, they need to have the map go walking through the snow … IMHO.

I have several friends who DON'T have iPhones, who pretty much thought the same thing when they saw the commercial for the first time. As a matter of fact, a few of them called to rub it in, saying "Hey, I guess that damn phone from Apple isn't all that great after all."

Remember, it's what folks think that counts.

YES the ad's are great, and kudo's to the creator, but Im afraid they DO paint the iPhone in somewhat of a negative light.

Skip

great quote the perception of it all hurts ATT badly .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Verizon clearly states in dialogue and in text that they are comparing 3G and nothing else. I don’t think AT&T has a case.

PS: 3GPP and the ITU first efined EDGE as a 3G technology, though still part of the GSM family. However, AT&T has never defined it as such making clear that they are marketing their WCDMA network as 3G. They have no case as far I can see.

EVDO also include Rev. 0 which is much slower then Rev. A. I think Samab is correct that their map is all EVDO. What other CDMA2000 coverage would it be besides EVDO?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

The ads are misleading. But without concrete proof of actual lies or deception, AT&T isn't going to win this one.

I think it's time AT&T put the smack down with some ads of their own, showing their total coverage, and maybe speed comparisons. You only have a few seconds to show and convince consumers of what you have to say.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

< blank >

Here is a map of where you support the iPhone today.

BEST QUOTE THIS WEEK your prize is thus >><<

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3NV7 View Post

Don't be such a pussy.

keep your tongue in your mouth dude

Quote:
    Originally Posted by relaxrelaxxx View Post

I have an iPhone. So I use AT&T. I don't need 3G in Montana. Nobody does.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good Post!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

I am little concerned about Verizon's new $350 Termination Fee. I'd better be sure that I like that new phone.

Someone also mentioned that Verizon charges $3 a month for Visual Voicemail?

be careful

verizon adds so many extra fee's you can't quite ever knop whats what

you plug 3 mistakes they made and 2 more show up

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

yep 3 a month for VVM, 7 a month for insurance, I think VZ navigator is another 10, and they also have a video service that can be an extra 20 a month.

I mean, it's not so much weirder than AT&T charging 20 a month for unlimited text messaging on the iphone when it's included on plans for other phones...

$350 to determine if you'll be with verizon for 2 years is a bit steep. Maybe that's for a 1 year contract?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnwhite1000 View Post

ROTFLMAO!!! Verizon is telling the 100% TRUTH!! Actual ATT 3G coverage is almost non-existant in ENTIRE states. The 3 G system is mostly a 1900 Mhz system. What does that mean? NO efficient wall penetration. Sure they are going to 850 Mhz in SOME populated areas but overall their system is absolute crap.

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

"Veiled" reference? I'd hardly say it's veiled, from the "DroidDoes" campaign to an iPhone being used in EVERY single AT&T attack ad, to the most blatant one, the misfit toys ad (which, even being an iPhone lover and being satisfied with AT&T, I still found amusing).

Quote:

Well...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

What significant amount?

AT&T managed to beat Verizon last quarter by a tiny 200K in retail net subscriber additions --- on a iphone launch full quarter. This is it --- that's as good as it gets.

AT&T funded a ton of4G networks building costs from the iphone profit
  • Reply 76 of 133
    I'd actually argue that some of Verizon's own recent moves are clear evidence that the customer knows very well what 3G is. For years, they kept droning on about EVDO as if the whole country and not just a slice of VZW and Sprint customers knew what it was (I think most average Americans were more familiar with the term "V-Cast"), when 3G had already made it into the lingua franca of American English as meaning "broadband on a cell phone." It was getting on for three years ago that the mainstream media was all of a doo-dah about the first release of the iPhone only having "2.5G" (i.e. EDGE) instead of 3G while underestimating the real breakthrough of the phone's software. And sure enough, Verizon's new phones now all have "3G" next to the reception bars instead of "EV." So obviously it's a widely understood term.

Widely enough to pass muster in a court on this point of law? I guess we'll let the judge be the judge of that. But I'd be stunned if AT&T get their way.

With how high the stakes are, I'm not surprised AT&T's putting up a stink. Like Verizon, they're in debt up to their eyeballs. Like Verizon, they need future revenues to finish paying for their network. But unlike Verizon, they also need future revenues to finish building their network.

And I'm also not surprised about Verizon's hardball advertising. After all, they're the one with the non-upgradeable 3G network, forcing them to pony up for jumping to 4G before the GSM networks do.
  • Reply 77 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

AT&T funded a ton of4G networks building costs from the iphone profit

There is no iphone profit.

Apple is spending the money that was supposed to be spent on network build-up --- on iphone subsidies.
  • Reply 78 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

ATT coverage - even in "3G areas" - is often underbuilt and oversubscribed.

If this map reflected density of 3G customers per tower, ATT would look even worse.

Verizon just doubled it's early cancellation fee to $350.

They've been caught skimming and falsifying charges on bandwidth usage [must be hidden deep in the fine print that says < 1kb == 1MB data transfer] and no matter how much they claim their 3G cover is that jack up on the rates is going to piss off large numbers of consumers, not to mention companies like Apple.
  • Reply 79 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

And I'm also not surprised about Verizon's hardball advertising. After all, they're the one with the non-upgradeable 3G network, forcing them to pony up for jumping to 4G before the GSM networks do.

There is an upgrade available through ev-do rev B. South Korea's LG Telecom is upgrading their ev-do rev A network to rev B.

http://www.telecomskorea.com/beyond-3g-7381.html

Verizon chose not to upgrade.
  • Reply 80 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

There is no iphone profit.

Apple is spending the money that was supposed to be spent on network build-up --- on iphone subsidies.

I believe you meant to claim the following:

AT&T is spending the money that was supposed to be spent on network build-up --- on iphone subsidies.