Apple unveils browser-based iTunes Preview

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

A tad pointless, who doesn't have iTunes? Seriously, those that don't would never buy from the service so whats the point?

well, if I want to look at something on my work PC for example I couldn't do that before, now I can.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Looks like Cupertino got some photocopiers in action. Looks like the Zune website but without the Zune Pass.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Actually I did read the article, I can see no benefit in this at all. To purchase/listen or interact with the content in anyway you need to launch iTunes.

I am sorry, but apart from the fact that you could potentially follow an iTunes link without opening the application (and once again cannot even listen or "preview" the track or moive etc containted within said link) I stick by my comment, I do not see the point of this.

No one who does not already have iTunes on their PC/Mac would have any need of this.

If you feel I am wrong then highlight some reasons that I am.

See my response to "sheff" on the same topic.

It's not worth arguing about.

You are making a negative knee-jerk reaction to something without really thinking about it, and I'm just dumping on you for being foolish.

No one wants to read stuff like that.
  • Reply 24 of 60
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Sounds good- Anything to free up the bloatware know as iTunes. Hopefully they remove them from iTunes itself.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

Apple needs to make iTunes store browser based.

This preview hybrid is annoying. Also easier to just go into Amazon and buy a song than open up iTunes just for shopping media.

Not to mention the dreaded beach ball of death.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:

A tad pointless, who doesn't have iTunes? Seriously, those that don't would never buy from the service so whats the point?

I don't have iTunes installed on my PC at work, only on my iMac at home. I suspect many people are in the same situation (with their work PCs).

This is an excellent idea for being able to follow iTunes links when you're at the office or otherwise away from home or using a computer that doesn't have iTunes installed.

In addition, as Roc Ingersol already mentioned, loading iTunes up takes so long that I frequently ignore iTunes links, even at home where I have iTunes installed. That point was also made in the original article: "and makes for a less intrusive option for those who do not have iTunes installed, or do not want to launch the application."

So that's a couple of "points" for you already, and it doesn't take much imagination to think of more.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Not to mention the dreaded beach ball of death.

I thought this new version of iTunes was supposed to fix that. Mine's still just as slow. And that's not even talking about when I plug my iPod in.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

I thought this new version of iTunes was supposed to fix that. Mine's still just as slow. And that's not even talking about when I plug my iPod in.

That plus when I play a song the preview box in the lower left corner shows a different album than what's playing. Go figure. I wish the store was ripped out of iTunes and you could purchase like at Amazon with direct download to it. It's an elephant now.
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:

This is good. Sometimes you want to check to see if a new movie is available, or the latest episode of a tv show is out yet, but you don't need to launch itunes. Its not a big deal, but its nice to have.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mgrad92 View Post

So, it's new site called iTunes Preview that specifically does not offer song previews? Hmmm ...

Nicely said! Hard not to think that previews and purchasing (even without itunes) are coming soon to everyone's browser.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphonedeveloperthailand View Post

Wonder if you can download media from the web version. If so how are

they going to block Palm from their site?

The article answers your question.

No, you'll have to go to iTunes to listen or purchase.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:

I'm not sure what problem that solves.

If you're going to use iTunes to manage your library, listen to tracks, etc., what's the benefit of buying the tracks from your browser?
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:

Apple needs to make iTunes store browser based....

iTunes is already essentially a web browser. All the pages you see in the iTunes store are web pages and all the underlying technology is web-based. They *could* just put it all up in a regular browser but they don't because they don't think it's a good idea. So it's not like they haven't thought of it.

I would think that this latest development is related to the world-wide expansion. If you are not in the right country (and usually that means the USA), a posted link to an itunes track or an app is a complete fail. Addressing that problem is probably at least a part of the reason behind this move.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Actually I did read the article, I can see no benefit in this at all. To purchase/listen or interact with the content in anyway you need to launch iTunes.

I am sorry, but apart from the fact that you could potentially follow an iTunes link without opening the application (and once again cannot even listen or "preview" the track or moive etc containted within said link) I stick by my comment, I do not see the point of this.

No one who does not already have iTunes on their PC/Mac would have any need of this.

If you feel I am wrong then highlight some reasons that I am.

Perhaps the "whole point" is to encourage those without iTunes installed to "get on board".
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DKWalsh4 View Post

Slowness in iTunes (assuming nothing is broken on your computer), is usually because every time it starts it has to go through your media library.

The base factors are usually the size of your library in Gigabytes, the speed of your hard disk, the cache size on your hard disk and/or corrupt media in the library.

Even recent Mac Pros have shipped with hard drives with only 8MB of cache. If you are really into collecting a lot of media, you have to get some fast HD's with a big cache or even move to a striped RAID. This is just the way things are when it comes to huge media file sizes and the limitations of hard disks.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Perhaps the "whole point" is to encourage those without iTunes installed to "get on board".

Another good "point," is that it's possible that in being on the web instead of in the browser that it won't be long that the iTunes preview for a title is the first hit in a google search me thinks.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sounds good- Anything to free up the bloatware know as iTunes. Hopefully they remove them from iTunes itself.

TechDud ... Let's see now, you don't like iTunes ... you don't like iPhone's carrier ... you don't like iMac's glossy screen ... you don't like iMac's lack of blue ray .... but yet your tagline reads : once you go Mac, you never go back.

Sounds to me you're either a liar or just confused .... which is it?
  • Reply 38 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

TechDud ... Let's see now, you don't like iTunes ... you don't like iPhone's carrier ... you don't like iMac's glossy screen ... you don't like iMac's lack of blue ray .... but yet your tagline reads : once you go Mac, you never go back.

Sounds to me you're either a liar or just confused .... which is it?

Neither - try perfectionist.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:

This preview hybrid is annoying. Also easier to just go into Amazon and buy a song than open up iTunes just for shopping media.

Maybe, if you insist on closing iTunes every time you don't listen to music. But who does?
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Another good "point," is that it's possible that in being on the web instead of in the browser that it won't be long that the iTunes preview for a title is the first hit in a google search me thinks.

This is probably the biggest reason they decided to enable the content to be viewed on a browser. If you look at how the pages' HTML tags are structured (title, H1, keyword density in <p>), the anchor text used for artists, contextual categories, and URL structure, it's very apparent Apple wants to surface well in search engine results pages. Their competition here is emusic.com, zune.net, last.fm, etc.