Apple's next-gen iPhone power amp; NASA chemical sensor app

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has reportedly selected a new power amplifier supplier for a new, forthcoming model of the iPhone; and a NASA scientist has used the iPhone to create a chemical sensor.

New iPhone power amplifier

Skyworks has reportedly been tapped by Apple to supply the power amplifier for a new model of Apple's iPhone. According to Taiwanese trade publication DigiTimes, the company orders its parts from Advanced Wireless Semiconductor Company.

AWSC expects its revenues to grow by 50 percent in 2010, when Skyworks reportedly becomes the power amplifier supplier for the next-generation iPhone. No further details on the new hardware were presented.

Recent reports have suggested a new hardware model of the iPhone compatible with the Verizon Wireless network in the U.S. could debut in the summer of 2010. The first three iPhone hardware iterations all saw an annual summer release.

NASA creates prototype chemical sensor

Jing Li, a physical scientist at the NASA Ames Research Center, has used the hardware connectivity made available in iPhone OS 3.0 to create a "compact, low-cost, low-power, high speed nanosensor-based chemical sensing" external attachment. The prototype device, which is said to be about the size of a postage stamp, connects to the iPhone through its 30-pin dock connector.

As first noted by Gizmodo, the device can detect chemicals such as ammonia, chlorine gas and methane. The accompanying application can automatically transfer data to other devices.

"The device senses chemicals in the air using a 'sample jet' and a multiple-channel silicon-based sensing chip, which consists of 16 nanosensors, and sends detection data to another phone or a computer via telephone communication network or Wi-Fi," NASA said.

At Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, Apple highlighted a number of third-party applications that take advantage of iPhone OS 3.0 to connect with external hardware. The new software allows applications on the handset to communicate with external third-party hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Sounds like a must have in case of a terrorist attack.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Sounds like a must have in case of a terrorist attack.

I wait for the first real decent comment
  • Reply 3 of 65
    What is a power amplifier?
  • Reply 4 of 65
    The iPhone and iTablet will eventually have a built-in pheromone sensor that will be location detectable and make dating apps more useful, along with all the other chemical / odor sensing that will be incorporated.

In fact these devices will soon take advantage of all 5 senses enhanced and will move into what is now called extrasensory perception but which soon will have a scientific understanding and be used in apps.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I'm little lost of why companies are not making all the things apple promised will be attached to iPhone. I remember when 3.0 came out Apple demoed so many plug ins and extensions like these and looks like companies are way behind that.

It was suppose to be the next big thing for iPhone. Maybe Apple got their hopes too high.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I'm little lost of why companies are not making all the things apple promised will be attached to iPhone. I remember when 3.0 came out Apple demoed so many plug ins and extensions like these and looks like companies are way behind that.

It was suppose to be the next big thing for iPhone. Maybe Apple got their hopes too high.

They only demonstrated a few. I have one that wasn't demonstrated, but has just come out. There are a bunch of things out now.

But remember that as hardware is part of this, there is a development time for that, which in the case of some things is more difficult than the software development. Then it has to have prototypes made and tested. Then it must have a production design. Then it must go to production, packaging, etc.

This can take a year or more, whereas a small program can be whipped up within a week. Since OS ver 3, which first allowed these hardware devices to become possible only came out in mid June of this year, the 10 or so devices that are out now are a pretty good indicator of what's to come.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    They could make some sweet apps for that!

“What’s That Smell?”

You feel like sushi, so you look it up in the Maps app and find the nearest. In the hallway by the kitchen is a horrific odor. What could it be? A backed-up toilet? Rotten fish recycled with extra wasabi? A waiter with a fungal infection? Did your own left leg die of gangrene? There’s an app for that!

Quote:

I agree—it’s really weird, when you look at all the zillions of bizarre hardware devices that iPods have always had (I have a laser pointer powered by my iPod Photo). You see plenty of charging and audio dock devices, but other, more creative things have taken a surprisingly long time.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Not only does the iPhone have fart apps, now it will have a fart detector too!
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

They could make some sweet apps for that!

?What?s That Smell??

You feel like sushi, so you look it up in the Maps app and find the nearest. In the hallway by the kitchen is a horrific odor. What could it be? A backed-up toilet? Rotten fish recycled with extra wasabi? A waiter with a fungal infection? Did your own left leg die of gangrene? There?s an app for that!

You may be saying that as a joke, but it's not, really. I've read articles in my journals, that they are working on just those very functions. There are specific molecules that indicate infections, and other serious problems. Sensors are being developed to detect that.

They are working on sensors to be placed in food packages which will show if the food is beyond its safe limits, or their smell and taste optimum. This is a very serious industry, and it's thought that it will revolutionize many areas of health and safety.

Quote:

I agree?it?s really weird, when you look at all the zillions of bizarre hardware devices that iPods have always had (I have a laser pointer powered by my iPod Photo). You see plenty of charging and audio dock devices, but other, more creative things have taken a surprisingly long time.

Development takes time. Especially with hardware.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    ALA startrek

The iphone morphs into a tricoder.

Maybe the tablet should be itricode, could have multiple levels of meaning.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Define decent.

It detects chemicals in the air and how exactly is my post not decent? \
  • Reply 12 of 65
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nytesky View Post

If I'm not mistaken it was something Dr. No was building in his hollowed out volcano lair.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Could AI please stop it with the pseudonyms? Maybe you think this is subtle hint to set your readers' expectations. Reader sees author's name, reader adjusts expectations. Cute. Ok, here's what I expect:

Daniel Eran Dilger - Full on, unabashed "Apple is right. Here's why" rant

Prince McClean - Supposed straight report, with only required digs and catcalls

Slash Lane - Quick, hard hitting rumors and nonsense

Everyone could make these associations, or maybe instead, AI could use a simple keyword right in the title. (Report, news, rumor)
  • Reply 14 of 65
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

I'm surprised companies like EA hasn't brought out a game controller. I would think that would help them to sell even more games.

--Dave
  • Reply 15 of 65
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I'm surprised companies like EA hasn't brought out a game controller. I would think that would help them to sell even more games.

--Dave

What's that you say???

• Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

What's that you say???

Huh! I've seen some others, but not that one.

I just went to the site. This is from the company that's been working on one for quite a while, but couldn't get it working properly. I suppose the new OS ver 3 finally has allowed this. I did like the older design better, as it's smaller, and slicker looking.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Power amplifiers.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Here you go. This sounds like a worthwhile app ... even for TechDud.

"Dogs can detect if someone has cancer just by sniffing the person's breath, a new study shows."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...og_cancer.html
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nytesky View Post

Generally speaking, it is a circuit that takes a wimpy analog signal (from a D/A converter circuit, for example), and makes a strong signal capable of driving headphones or speakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Apple need to rename the iPhone or just have 2 models; one for regular people and another for Science/Geeks.

What is going to do next? Light up a cigarette?

And then who knows what the CIA, NSA, KGB, MASSOB, and other intelligent agencies have cooked up with it. Plenty enough, I bet you.