Verizon responds to AT&T in court: 'The truth hurts'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Or, come out with Verizon customer testimonial ads and use the complaints from these former Verizon users and there are plenty of complaints...

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...ou-charge-now/

Kind of like a version of the Laptop Hunter ads except AT&T can call it "The Customer Satisfaction" ads... and if Verizon goes to court, AT&T can counter with, "Hey, the truth hurts!"

Here are a couple of samples....

Verizon Customer: "Verizon is the king of the heap of greedy phone companies.

I?m part of a class action suit against their charging people through their billing date, when canceling at the end of their contract date.

This is stated verbally to customers who cancel. while clearly stated otherwise in their customer agreement. The amount overcharged unwitting users is in the millions of dollars.

Beware.

? Paul Stravinsky"

or

"Verizon is a money-grubbing organization, period. I bought my first iPhone just six weeks before the expiration of my then current contract with Verizon. I had been a Verizon customer for years, yet they insisted on charging me the full early termination fee even though they were prorating this fee for newer customers. When I objected, they referred my call to their ?Loyalty? department. In other words, if you?re not a loyal Verizon customer, screw you. Since Verizon refused to lower the fee, I refused to pay them a penny.

The irony is that I recently got an offer of settlement from Verizon for half the original fee. One has to wonder, wouldn?t it have been more cost-effective for them to have negotiated the fee in the first place? That?s what blind greed does to people. I wouldn?t trust Verizon as far as I can throw them.

? alansky"

AT&T Customer: "The same day I read your post regarding Verizon data charges, I noticed my AT&T bill had a data charge. I then recalled accidently hitting one of those mystery keys that triggers this charge (I terminated the charge immediately.) I?m not sure what key I hit, but I was cold, and was wearing mittens.

Anyhow, I was only charged 8 cents (so it seems at least AT&T prorates the charge), but I went ahead and called AT&T anyhow and had the charge removed.

I?ll stick with AT&T! - merrilee"

or

"My phone fell into a pool with 21 days left on my two year contract. I took the opportunity to cancel my account and get an iPhone. Verizon refused to let me pay for my last month on my agreement ($59) and made me pay the full cancellation fee of $175. I will NEVER go back to Verizon even if they get the iPhone. I?ve been very happy with AT&T anyway plus their employees are actually friendly. - Phil"
  • Reply 22 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonlivy View Post

Apple needs to step it up, not make excuses. I live in a rural part of the US that really struggles acquiring an AT&T signal (this extends over almost the entire state of Utah). Most people here use Verizon. The difference in how well a signal is received isn't even close. It's as though AT&T has written us completely off.

I can tell you if the iPhone was picked up by Verizon, I would switch immediately. The worst part of my iPhone is AT&T!

I also understand that Verizon was approached first by Apple, but refused due to the Visual Voicemail and Apple's general overbearing control they would need over their iPhone. Verizon, at the time, wasn't willing to concede to Apple's requests. Anyone else hear the same thing?

Good luck with that VZ service. Yes, you'll get better network coverage. You want text messaging? Oh, that'll cost you extra (just like the other guys). Want media messaging? Oh, that'll cost you extra. You want a WiFi enabled phone? No, no, we don't allow those phones because we want all data to run across our network so we can charge you more for it. You want Bluetooth? Oh, no, well, maybe we'll let you run a wireless headset, but we'll cripple any other function because we wouldn't want you to be able to get data over Bluetooth for the same reason as WiFi. You want music or media streaming on your phone? Oh, oops, sorry, you can't have that, but you can sign up for our proprietary VCast service for an outlandish fee, and we'll tell you what content you're allowed to have, where, when, and how much. You want web surfing? Well, you can now have this 'mobile web' thingy we made, but you need to sign up for our 'unlimited' data plan, for an extra fee, and you're limited to 5MB of 'unlimited' data per month - you can go over, but it'll cost ya. You want email? Okay, but you have to use our service... etc., etc., etc.

Some of these restrictions are starting to change, but only because of the iPhone & AT&T. Were it not for the iPhone, VZ would still be the most draconian cell service provider on the planet (well, they still are, but changing - because they have to).

So, yea, VZ missed their golden opportunity at the iPhone because they were too pig-headed to create support for visual voice mail... and music, and video, and WiFi, and maps data, and web browsing, and, and, and... and accept the idea that maybe the people who make the device want to control the features and future of their own device. I hope that sets the record straight on who is overbearing. \

But yea, AT&T's signal in Utah does suck pretty bad, I know, I travel there enough.
  • Reply 23 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Good luck with that VZ service. Yes, you'll get better network coverage. You want text messaging? Oh, that'll cost you extra (just like the other guys). Want media messaging? Oh, that'll cost you extra. You want a WiFi enabled phone? No, no, we don't allow those phones because we want all data to run across our network so we can charge you more for it. You want Bluetooth? Oh, no, well, maybe we'll let you run a wireless headset, but we'll cripple any other function because we wouldn't want you to be able to get data over Bluetooth for the same reason as WiFi. You want music or media streaming on your phone? Oh, oops, sorry, you can't have that, but you can sign up for our proprietary VCast service for an outlandish fee, and we'll tell you what content you're allowed to have, where, when, and how much. You want web surfing? Well, you can now have this 'mobile web' thingy we made, but you need to sign up for our 'unlimited' data plan, for an extra fee, and you're limited to 5MB of 'unlimited' data per month - you can go over, but it'll cost ya. You want email? Okay, but you have to use our service... etc., etc., etc.

Some of these restrictions are starting to change, but only because of the iPhone & AT&T. Were it not for the iPhone, VZ would still be the most draconian cell service provider on the planet (well, they still are, but changing - because they have to).

So, yea, VZ missed their golden opportunity at the iPhone because they were too pig-headed to create support for visual voice mail... and music, and video, and WiFi, and maps data, and web browsing, and, and, and... and accept the idea that maybe the people who make the device want to control the features and future of their own device. I hope that sets the record straight on who is overbearing. \

But yea, AT&T's signal in Utah does suck pretty bad, I know, I travel there enough.

This is truth right here. While Verizon may have arguably better coverage, they are know for having bad phones that are very locked down. They may have better 3G coverage, yet AT&T's 3G is actually faster at the moment in there areas where they have it. And even where they don't have 3G service, it's not like there's no phone service at all, the data is just slower. One other thing about Verizon is that right now they aren't based on the GMS standard and you don't get a SIM card which you can change between phones, which is unfortunate.

This isn't to say that AT&T is amazing, because they have their own host of issues, some of which ARE coverage, and they DO limit some programs on the iPhone from running over their network. BOTH have horrible prices for their services.

All I'm saying is that I think in the big picture the negatives to Verizon leave AT&T as the better choice.
  • Reply 24 of 131
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Verizons ads are factual, I don't think they can be faulted for simply being misleading. There wouldn't be many ads out there if we go by AT&T's standards for advertising. Bye bye every axe ad, most ads for chewing gum (they somehow suggest that gum has sex appeal) the mac vs pc ads, laptop hunters, etc.
  • Reply 25 of 131
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

You're going way overboard. The iPhone and the Droid plans are extremely similar (in fact the same). The only difference between them is the outlandish $350 that you have to pay to terminate your contract early. Both have wifi and I find it funny that you mention Verizon crippling Bluetooth because Apple already does unless they do offer file transfers over Bluetooth.

Having the iPhone on both networks also creates competition and drives down cost. Just because of the iPhone, Verizon allowed Google Voice. Both companies will go out of their ways to open up the network more than they ever have because of Apple.

While Verizon does have better coverage, if they were the only carrier with the iPhone, they would have the same troubles as AT&T.
  • Reply 26 of 131
    All I can say about those $1.99 charges on Att is (well, Cingular at the time), is that I never had a data plan aka MediaNet, and every time I accidently opened up the browser, I hit end, and never got charged.

In fact, when I got my Motorola Ming, I never could connect to Att and get an Edge connection unless I enabled MediaNet - it would always just stay at GPRS.

Just my experience.

I haven't seen T-Mobile promote the N900 phone yet, so I may just buy it unlocked at newegg for $559. While I do like the iphone, I'd rather have the high end screen and not be on Verizon with the Droid phone.

Besides, I can have a $30 voice plan and $25 for unlimited data, both cheaper than Att or Verizon. And in FL, I'm covered.
  • Reply 27 of 131
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    The truth: Verizon has been hurt by AT&T and the iPhone. The Druid and an aggressive marketing campaign aren't going to change that.

Maybe AT&T should advertise how many more terabytes per day their network dishes out to its discerning customers than Verizon's slow-poke network does. AT&T can also mention Exchange support for the iPhone doesn't cost anything extra, compared to the $15/month extra it costs for the Druid on Verizon.
  • Reply 28 of 131
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    An interesting aside - Orange UK have just started selling the iPhone and their marketing campaign centres around their superior 3G coverage.

It's the first time that I've seen a UK carrier compete on coverage in about 10 years. It's been such a non-issue for so long that competition has always centred around price or handset choice. It's a tactic that's likely to work though as O2 UK have under-invested in their 3G network for many years and it doesn't have enough capacity for all of its iPhone users.
  • Reply 29 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It is obvious that Verizon's commercials are not misleading. They do compare the products apples to apples (or Apples to Droids networks that is).

Still there must have been a reason for apple to go with ATT in the first place. How were the two networks comparing on the eve of iPhone launch? Did ATT always have a crappier network, and if not how long ago did Verison outdo ATT in 3G? Maybe the tables will turn again when iPhone 4G comes out.

If my memory serves me correctly, the ONE and only reason why Verizon LOST the iPhone from jump street to AT&T was that; they (Verizon) wanted the last and final say on the app store and wanted to get a bigger piece of the cake up front and they didn't want to subsidize the iPhone and Apple said NO WAY JOSE!!! so that's what i remember why they blew their chance with the first iPhone...

because of CONTROL issues and in a way 'we' the consumers win, because now when Apple makes the next iPhone in 2010 (next summer) for Verizon, then AT&T will LOSE ALL the customers (myself included) to Verizon... I have HAD IT with this crappy AT&T SHYT!!!

AT&T can you HEAR ME NOW????!?!!??
  • Reply 30 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I really don't like any of this. I have Verizon, but don't like the fact that their ads go for the jugular. Reminds me of political ad smear campaigns. Just like the "I'm a Mac / I'm a PC" ads that both Apple and M$ are producing.

So here's an idea: Make an ad campaign that shows what YOU can do, not showing what your COMPETITORS do not. I find ads that speak out against others failures as immature, and that the company making the ad is hiding something bad about themselves by showing how "horrible" the other guy is. Everyone should be able to pull themselves up above the rest, not stand on other people's faces to get ahead.

Now mind you, I prefer Verizon's coverage over AT&Ts, and T-Mobile. I don't however like the "There's a charge for that" mentality that Verizon has. If you do it right, you can avoid the little tiny charges here and there.

Personally, I'd like to see Apple use their iPhone/iPod ad style for their computers. I'm so sick of the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" characters. Same goes for the M$ ads when it was the "Laptop Hunters". I hated those too. Show me what the Apple can do SANS Microsoft. So far, their computer ads can't do that... which is sadly ironic (even more sad to me is how well they've worked)

So, just show me how well your products work STAND ALONE, not in comparison, and maybe I'll be more inclined to buy!

(Note: All cell phone companies in the US in my market have ads that bash each other... you loose no matter who you choose.)

you are either a frustrated ex-advertising executive or maybe a current one, I don't know- I worked at and ad agency for 10 years and its the nature of the game, but those I'm a Mac, I'm a PC are FUCKING GENIUS AD's on APPLE's part they should win awards for those ads... this is AMERICA and its called competition -

and for ALL the APPLE HATERS from the past, present and future APPLE IS KING and there is nothing anyone can do but fight to the finish to get their IPhone on to their networks.. we the consumers WIN.... whats your beef?? oh and as for your suggestion about 'US' creating our own ads?? that's what MICRO$HIT tried to pass off as "real people' buying a PC instead of a MAC when they were given $1500. to spend on a new laptop;

Turns out they were 'hired' actors... Ooops!!!! and what was that the Mr. Bill Gates said about Mr. Steve Jobs??

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ing_apple.html
  • Reply 31 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I really don't like any of this. I have Verizon, but don't like the fact that their ads go for the jugular. Reminds me of political ad smear campaigns. Just like the "I'm a Mac / I'm a PC" ads that both Apple and M$ are producing.

So here's an idea: Make an ad campaign that shows what YOU can do, not showing what your COMPETITORS do not. I find ads that speak out against others failures as immature, and that the company making the ad is hiding something bad about themselves by showing how "horrible" the other guy is. Everyone should be able to pull themselves up above the rest, not stand on other people's faces to get ahead.

Now mind you, I prefer Verizon's coverage over AT&Ts, and T-Mobile. I don't however like the "There's a charge for that" mentality that Verizon has. If you do it right, you can avoid the little tiny charges here and there.

Personally, I'd like to see Apple use their iPhone/iPod ad style for their computers. I'm so sick of the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" characters. Same goes for the M$ ads when it was the "Laptop Hunters". I hated those too. Show me what the Apple can do SANS Microsoft. So far, their computer ads can't do that... which is sadly ironic (even more sad to me is how well they've worked)

So, just show me how well your products work STAND ALONE, not in comparison, and maybe I'll be more inclined to buy!

(Note: All cell phone companies in the US in my market have ads that bash each other... you loose no matter who you choose.)

It's funny, then, that your signature touts Linux by pointing out your perceived shortcomings of Apple. Can Linux not stand on its own merits?
  • Reply 32 of 131
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I like consulting webpages while I'm on a call, how you like them apples?
  • Reply 33 of 131
    Big guys are used to sell they reputation, too. They've never been suing over the truth since the age of King Solomon.
  • Reply 34 of 131
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    I thought Verizon's "Apples to apples" comparison wasn't.

Wasn't Verizon including it's slower service in its map and only AT&Ts fastest service on their map?

I don't care. Truth or not, false or not, AT&T is blowing it with the iPhone and Verizon wouldn't be any better. There's always some area where you're not covered and both networks would be overloaded by a popular iPhone.

It will be nice when Apple sheds its contract with AT&T and some real competition can begin.
  • Reply 35 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I agree and this is likely the primary strategy AT&T is pursuing, but its undermined by explosive iPhone sales and the popularity of its thousands of apps. I believe its the type of problem that the other US carriers would like to have.

I think its something more like do as little as possible to maximize profits. This is the dark side of the iPhone and why we need a little competition. No matter how bad the network is, people are still going to buy the iPhone. As such, they have no incentive to make more than the minimum amount of upgrades.
  • Reply 36 of 131
    Well sadly, if Verizon is stating FACT, there is little anyone can do about it. AT&T should try to IMPROVE its network and get over it already.

RT
  • Reply 37 of 131
    Quote:

Still there must have been a reason for apple to go with ATT in the first place.

An important factor must have been that, if they had gone with Verizon, Apple would have had to make a CDMA phone for the US and a GSM phone for the rest of the world. Alternatively they could have made a phone that supported both standards.

Both options have HUGE disadvantages compared to making a single GSM phone for the whole world.
  • Reply 38 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Verizons ads are factual, I don't think they can be faulted for simply being misleading. There wouldn't be many ads out there if we go by AT&T's standards for advertising. Bye bye every axe ad, most ads for chewing gum (they somehow suggest that gum has sex appeal) the mac vs pc ads, laptop hunters, etc.

If you look at at&t's 3G coverage map in the Verizon ads, you'll notice there is no 3G in the Traverse City area (Northwest of the lower peninsula). There is also only a small amount of 3G in the south central area of Michigan. In fact, there is 3G almost all the way along the I-94 corridor.

I have to wonder if there are other areas of the country that Verizon is not showing accurately. I think they are using an outdated map. If they are I think at&t has a point.
  • Reply 39 of 131
    that they don't have a leg to stand on.

They don't deny that their 3G coverage sucks, but essentially say that the blank spots shown in the Verizon ads are covered by their older glacially-slow technologies.

Quit wasting your money on lawsuits, AT&T, and put it into building a competitive network.
  • Reply 40 of 131
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    If ATT can advertise "fastest 3G network" without specifying that their 3G coverage does not include their entire network, why can't Verizon advertise more 3G coverage without specifying that ATT's 3G coverage does not include their entire network?

ATT is being extremely hypocritical in complaining that Verizon is not showing their non-3G coverage when their own ads don't state that much of their network is not 3G and therefore not disclosed in their "fastest 3G" advertising. ATT gives the misleading impression that their entire network is the fastest. You don't see Verizon suing about that.

Quote:

Still there must have been a reason for apple to go with ATT in the first place. How were the two networks comparing on the eve of iPhone launch? Did ATT always have a crappier network, and if not how long ago did Verison outdo ATT in 3G? Maybe the tables will turn again when iPhone 4G comes out.

ATT/Cingular's network has always been crappier. I paid the termination fee about a year before the iPhone came out for the exact same reasons people complain about now...dropped calls, failed text message delivery, late voice mail delivery, etc. And I live in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the US, not in a rural area. The iPhone may have increased the broadband load on their network, but the voice service issues people have now are not new.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Or, come out with Verizon customer testimonial ads and use the complaints from these former Verizon users and there are plenty of complaints...

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/...ou-charge-now/

Kind of like a version of the Laptop Hunter ads except AT&T can call it "The Customer Satisfaction" ads... and if Verizon goes to court, AT&T can counter with, "Hey, the truth hurts!"

That would bite ATT in the ass. If you read Consumer Reports, Verizon tops every customer service rating (1st or 2nd in every city CR covers) and ATT has consistently been at or neat the bottom in every city. It as been this way for many years. In the latest survey, ATT moved up to the middle tier, but Verizon is still the tops in customer service.