Verizon responds to AT&T in court: 'The truth hurts'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

As long as the iPhone is locked to AT&T, the "truth" doesn't really matter.

Right, as usual, Quadra!

Verizon had become complacent and arrogant declining on the iPhone when they had the chance.

How can share holders have any confidence in the CEO who made the 'decision' to 'pass' on the biggest technological advancement of the decade! Sheez!
  • Reply 62 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

AT&T could just counter those ads with a chart comparing iPhone coverage between the two... "Here's our iPhone coverage: map with lots of red, Here's Verizon's iPhone coverage: white map."

Brilliant!

Why can't I think of things like this?
  • Reply 63 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Also lets be real here, you can do voice/data at the same time on 3G but that is nil for iphone users seeing as how you cant multitask (see what i did there?)

Yes, you blatantly lied.
  • Reply 64 of 131
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Its impossible for Apple to make one universal phone for all US carriers. Their networks are all too different.

The carriers really want to get out of subsidizing phones. Its not really a good business model for them. That is why Apple and AT&T experimented with revenue sharing.

Verizon already has phones from other manufacturers that work on both CDMA and GSM. Are you saying Apple is too incompetent to be able to do the same?

As far as carriers not wanting to subsidize...I'm not sure I believe that. They practically beg you to get a new phone every two years so they can lock you into a new two-year contract by offering subsidized phones. And if I bring a compatible phone to their network, or keep using my existing phone after the two-year contract, they don't give me a discount on my service (a credit for them not still recouping the subsidy).

I would love it if carriers would, like a previous poster said T-mobile does, show on my bill what portion of my cost is a repayment of the subsidy. But if they did that, or if they stopped subsidizing phones, they'd have to lower their services fees appropriately.
  • Reply 65 of 131
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Verizon already has phones from other manufacturers that work on both CDMA and GSM. Are you saying Apple is too incompetent to be able to do the same?

Incompetent, no. But to put GSM+CDMA radios into the same space as the current GSM radios for a phone that is the same size, with the same power consumption and same profit is likely impossible with the iPhone 3GS just out a few months now.

If you suggest Apple should would a device extra thick like the world-mode Blackberries, which likely also need a larger battery just to have the same duration do to power overhead and to raise the cost to still maintain profits or simply reduce profits altogether to the high extra feee from Qualcomm, then I?d say it?s improbably due to Apple?s stringent business model.
  • Reply 66 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

"My phone fell into a pool with 21 days left on my two year contract. I took the opportunity to cancel my account and get an iPhone. Verizon refused to let me pay for my last month on my agreement ($59) and made me pay the full cancellation fee of $175. I will NEVER go back to Verizon even if they get the iPhone. I?ve been very happy with AT&T anyway plus their employees are actually friendly. - Phil"

This kind of thinking drives me insane. I work for a cell phone company and regularly deal with this kind of broken mentality. The fact is that you signed a contract and agreed to a series of conditions that you are bound to. When something comes along that makes you want to get out of it, you cannot just modify the agreement as you see fit. The rage that is generated by those who fabricated some twisted logic is nothing short of unreal; the "I have been a customer for a billion years" crowd or "I only owe 25 dollars on my final bill but you want to charge me a term fee because I am canceling a week early" people have no clue how stupid they sound, much less how much it enrages people to have to stand there and listen to it.
  • Reply 67 of 131
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

I love it when two whores bitch!

LOL that just made my day! LOL
  • Reply 68 of 131
    Ever think when Apple said they were 5 years ahead of the competition that they would be 5 years ahead of the network also? It's crazy how much the iPhone has changed the game so fast. All these other companies are coming out with "comparable" products, but the networks are so greedy and impatient, they haven't built a foundation for their devices to survive on. It's like at AT&T/Apple you get the whole meal (iPhone, app store, itunes) , but at Verizon/Google you only get the burger (droid). When and if Verizon ever gets the iPhone, I can't wait for half of y'all to defect. AT&T's network will untangle, and Verizon's will slow on down.
  • Reply 69 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by keoeul View Post

This kind of thinking drives me insane. I work for a cell phone company and regularly deal with this kind of broken mentality. The fact is that you signed a contract and agreed to a series of conditions that you are bound to. When something comes along that makes you want to get out of it, you cannot just modify the agreement as you see fit. The rage that is generated by those who fabricated some twisted logic is nothing short of unreal; the "I have been a customer for a billion years" crowd or "I only owe 25 dollars on my final bill but you want to charge me a term fee because I am canceling a week early" people have no clue how stupid they sound, much less how much it enrages people to have to stand there and listen to it.

Exactly. If you only have a month left, just wait for the bill and pay it. Why in the hell would you terminate a contract for $X when the there is <$X left to pay monthly?
  • Reply 70 of 131
    zepzep Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Exactly. If you only have a month left, just wait for the bill and pay it. Why in the hell would you terminate a contract for $X when the there is <$X left to pay monthly?

if you port your number, it cancels your current account/contract. i used to work for a cell company and thats how it works. people all the time asked if they needed to cancel their account, and i would tell them no, they would just get a final bill. i did make sure they were out of contract and if they werent, i warned them there would be a termination fee.
  • Reply 71 of 131
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

My point was that Apple would not be able to provide a universal phone to ALL US carriers, the network difference goes beyond GSM/CDMA. They use different radio frequencies and network technology.

Quote:

As far as carriers not wanting to subsidize...I'm not sure I believe that. They practically beg you to get a new phone every two years so they can lock you into a new two-year contract by offering subsidized phones. And if I bring a compatible phone to their network, or keep using my existing phone after the two-year contract, they don't give me a discount on my service (a credit for them not still recouping the subsidy).

Now all the carriers are selling heavily subsidized smartphones. They hate this state of affairs ? and wish that American consumers would just pay full price for the phones, the way people do in Europe. T-Mobile recently introduced an option for customers to pay a lower monthly bill if they buy their own phones, and even offered to spread the handset cost over two years with no interest charges.

?They are trying to break the model and get away from the big subsidies that are going into these phones,? said John Hodulik, an analyst at UBS Securities. ?There is something to that, but I?m not sure it will work because people want their brand-new shiny phones.?

NY Times
  • Reply 72 of 131
    AT&T has slightly more coverage (3G and EDGE) than Verizon does.

AT&T has been and continues to invest millions in expanding their 3G coverage.

Verizon rejected the iPhone when Apple first came calling.

The maps in the ads only show 3G coverage.

AT&T coverage today is leagues better than when the iphone 3G first came out.

Why doesn't Verizon invest in updading it's network to a worldwide standard instead of a finicky proprietary one?
  • Reply 73 of 131
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Well, I had the same reaction before I went back and thought about the OP's situation. He had lost his phone due to an accident, and he needed a new one. Would Verizon have provided him a replacement at no (or at least a reasonable) cost without extending the contract that was soon to end? Sure, he could have just started a new contract with AT&T and an iPhone without canceling the Verizon contract until after the final month had been paid. However, that would have necessitated a number change, which for some people can be a pretty big deal.

I'm thinking that the OP was actually in a pretty bad situation because of that dunking of his previous phone.

Thompson
  • Reply 74 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Verizon's 'map for that' commercials ARE misleading but not false. They compare 3G coverage (not false) but do so in a way that gives the impression that all the other areas are not covered at all (misleading).

Why would a map that says it is a map of 3G coverage show non-3G coverage? It's like saying a map of McDonald's locations has to show everywhere else you can get a hamburger.
  • Reply 75 of 131
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yes, you blatantly lied.

Wait wait wait, so your telling me you can pull the iphone away from your face, send a SMS while talking, surf the web, and use GPS while on a phone call over speakerphone? Where is that at because id love to try it out on my girlfriends iphone right now.
  • Reply 76 of 131
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Why would a map that says it is a map of 3G coverage show non-3G coverage? It's like saying a map of McDonald's locations has to show everywhere else you can get a hamburger.

Well, perhaps it's because the very definition of what is - or is not - considered 3G is vague to begin with. The same argument that allows ANY PART of Verizon's network to be called 3G can be used to call AT&T's EDGE 3G as well. Once we are done splitting hairs over that, if we elect to speak in terms of a bandwidth threshold for comparison, there is the potential for turning the entire Verizon map to white (with appropriately chosen threshold). But if you want to stick to the technical definition of what is 3G, then you need to turn all of AT&T's network (including EDGE) into blue.

Thompson
  • Reply 77 of 131
    Happy ATT customer for many years.

If Verizon had roll over then i might even look at there web site.

With or without the iPhone I would still be on ATT.

Service in My area is great , And when I visit the UK I can still use my ATT Phone.
  • Reply 78 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zep View Post

if you port your number, it cancels your current account/contract. i used to work for a cell company and thats how it works. people all the time asked if they needed to cancel their account, and i would tell them no, they would just get a final bill. i did make sure they were out of contract and if they werent, i warned them there would be a termination fee.

I'm sure it's possible to call forward for a couple months until the number can be ported. My opinion, most people don't educate themselves, they want others to tell them.
  • Reply 79 of 131
    Hey , AT&T, spend the money on improving your 3G network rather than paying lawyers and court fees. Your EDGE network, which I have to use most of the time, doesn?t give me an edge on anything as I wait and wait and wait for pages to load and mail to download.
  • Reply 80 of 131
    Hey , AT&T, spend the money on improving your 3G network rather than paying lawyers and court fees. Your EDGE network, which I have to use most of the time, doesn?t give me an edge on anything as I wait and wait and wait for pages to load and mail to download.