Microsoft shareholders grill CEO about Apple, iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow it is him! This now begs the question, "who was Ballmer's Frankenstein?

It was Brucie from House of Frightenstein.

• Reply 42 of 78
    smcsmc Posts: 5member
    Ballmer said: "96 times out of 100 worldwide, people choose a PC with Windows"

Most people don't choose Windows -- rather, they buy the lowest-cost machine they can find, and they get Windows with it. It's kind of like saying someone chooses a religion. Most people just accept whatever crap their culture hands them, without expecting something better.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Wow it is him! This now begs the question, "who was Ballmer's Frankenstein?

Vista
  • Reply 44 of 78
    The article spells the name "Balmer" one "l", all of the posters are using "Ballmer" two "l"s. Who is right?

As to the article. IMHO, Microsoft is an "Enterprise" company. They sell Exchange, Sharepoint, the Office Suite, and provide an OS to OEMs. Their profitable market is governments and corporations with large roll-outs of top to bottom homogeny, with massive support contracts. As someone pointed out, of those 95 out of 100 Windows choices, I suspect a smaller percentage of individuals chose Windows vs having it chosen for them.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

The article spells the name "Balmer" one "l", all of the posters are using "Ballmer" two "l"s. Who is right?

Ballmer.

Balmer is a city in Murland.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

It's "Ballmer," but I've started calling him Steve Blamer.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

If is a very big word.

In order to get to that market share, a few things would have to happen. But the major end point would be that Apple would have to become affordable for a large part of the population.

It could happen by a cheaper computer, or people earning more money.

It ain't in Apples business model to make lower priced computers and the population in general havent gained much in terms of income for many years.

Apple could also become more affordable if government took fewer taxes or if Wall Street and the bankers were less of a drain on people's resources.

It could happen by people learning the difference between price and value.

I have more faith in the latter.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Why with all their millions can't they come up with products that are cutting edge?

Sure, this is msft we are talking about, but it is possible and with all their cash, it's truly unthinkable that they can't hire the right people to make this happen along with a competition to iLife. It just blows my mind that they can't get it done.

Why can't they?

Because they are addicted to their Windows/Office monopoly and are too scared of losing their existing customer base if they switch to a lean, modern cutting edge OS that junks the bloat-inducing legacy support.

Why don't they have the 'right' people? Because those people, the more creative and imaginative software engineers, left out of frustration long ago when Microsoft went into this defensive stop-innovating-and-just-protect-the-Windows/Office-monopoly mode right about the time MSFT share price stagnated.

Microsoft needs to have the courage to win their customers all over again. Be honest and tell them it's time to junk all those legacy apps. Running obsolete software is hurting not just Microsoft but their companies as well. Then offer a solution, and a subsidized path to that solution. Instead of throwing billions of dollars away to develop the overly complex super bloated Vista, they should have used those billions to help their customers transition to a modern OS.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

No longer is Apple tve so called Creative computer. . . The second thing is Apple basically dumped the Creatuves imgage and is becoming a consumer brand

Seeing as the 'creatives' vastly outnumber the run-of-the-mill 'consumer' maybe a million to one at least, I think you're on to something here. If Apple can run pro software like Logic, Final Cut and Adobe Creative Suite and stop offering iLife and other consumer level crapps then omigod their market share will just go through the roof! I think you should replace Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Because they are addicted to their Windows/Office monopoly and are too scared of losing their existing customer base if they switch to a lean, modern cutting edge OS that junks the bloat-inducing legacy support.

It's partly technical I suppose, but this issue goes back much further than the last few years, IMO. Microsoft has never been interested in pushing the envelope because their success in the past has never been predicated on innovation. Go ahead, try to name any product in their entire history that was really innovative. It's quite starting, when you think about it, that a company which has been seen as a technology leader for so many decades has so little in the "we thought of it first" column.

The entire company culture is bred on being behind the curve, but still making tons of money. So now, they are really challenged, because "just good enough" isn't good enough anymore. It's not just about legacy code, it's about fundamentally altering their approach to the market. Personally I don't see them being up the the challenge so long as Steve Blamer is running the company. He's too much about trying to relive past glories and not enough about the future.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I'm telling you, he looks like Peter Boyle from Young Frankenstein.

I'd pay good money to see Balmer (try to) do "Putting on the Ritz" in a top hat and tails from the same movie.

Imagine the sweat!

• Reply 53 of 78
    One lesson that Apple and its community needs to learn from Microsoft is to not fall into the trap of arrogance. This is a lesson that needs to keep being taught, and has been since the ancients (Oedipus Rex) because it's so easy to forget. Enjoy your victory but never forget how fleeting it is. It's fine to take a few shots at Microsoft, god knows they've earned their comeuppance. Just avoid piling on, and be gracious at some point. Apple's victories will keep on coming if they keep focused on tomorrow by creating great new products that do things better. Stay lean, stay hungry. Having a minority share of the market is what got us here. We need to keep behaving as though we are outsiders fighting for a place in the sun. Otherwise we become the next bloated and complacent beast to be dethroned by some new upstart.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

If is a very big word.

In order to get to that market share, a few things would have to happen. But the major end point would be that Apple would have to become affordable for a large part of the population.

It could happen by a cheaper computer, or people earning more money.

It ain't in Apples business model to make lower priced computers and the population in general havent gained much in terms of income for many years.

When people take the time to calculate the entire cost of ownership over the lifetime of the product, including resale value, Mac will come out on top most every time. While it may be cheaper to "buy" a PC (and that's debatable if you match item for item), it is more affordable to "own" a Mac. The "new" generation gets this and is why the future looks bright for Apple and why for M$ ... not so much. It's seldom the cheapest price that offers the greatest value.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Notice how there is no mention of Mac share in the enterprise market which has remained virtually non-existent.

We left it for you, TechDud. What took you so long?
  • Reply 56 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'd pay good money to see Balmer (try to) do "Putting on the Ritz" in a top hat and tails from the same movie.

Imagine the sweat!

If M$ profits continue in the same direction for a few more years ... you may get that opportunity!
  • Reply 57 of 78
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6rqXHX3O48
  • Reply 58 of 78
    Quote:

In theory, less all the registry problems, win mobile 6.5 doesn't have registry and looks nicers than windiws 7.

Sorry, WinMob has a registry, and yes, it sucks. Talk to anyone having to hard reset their phone to fix stupid issues like call notifications not working or the phone not charging.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6rqXHX3O48

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
  • Reply 60 of 78
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    http://www.crn.com/software/21240056...RSKHWATMY32JVN

http://www.redherring.com/Home/26217

I know that the desktop folks are constantly chatting about Mac's at my place of work. We're also opening our shop to Mac destops/laptops, and we already have with the iPhone. It seems a lot of enterprise shops are doing the same.

After a certain point, it stops being a 'rounding error' or something that can be dismissed with a wave of the hand (or whatever those spams are that Ballmer has).

RIM should teach that if anything. You may think your the safest company in the world, until someone pulls the rug out from under you.. I think Apple is currently trying to teach the same thing to Microsoft, and Microsoft blindly dismisses them just as they do Linux. If you haven't checked out a stock linux desktop in the last few years, you should. It's pretty amazing what they've managed considering they offer it for free.

I'm just glad I'm in this while Apple is still going up in business circles. All of this competition is nothing but good for Apple. It keeps them at the top of their game, which is just where I like them.