Steve Jobs e-mails terse response to upset Apple developer

Comments

• Reply 41 of 219
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I'm guessing that you see the intense irony of your remarks here and are making a joke?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Steve Jobs has really devolved into an asshole -- a fuckhead to the highest degree. ... Apple and Steve Jobs have become arrogant little pricks. ... A preemptive fuck you to anyone that disagrees with me. Yes, that means *YOU*.

Quote:

No but I'm thinking about pissing in your cheerios tomorrow morning and make you eat them.

In the first place, what Steve said was so brief and so factual, that any "asshole-ishness" you detect is most likely projection. Secondly, you prove the point by indicating where the anger and bad behaviour is really sourced, i.e. - yourself.
  • Reply 42 of 219
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Quote:

Steve Jobs has really devolved into an asshole -- a fuckhead to the highest degree.

I really can't wait until there's a real competitor to Apple. Apple and Steve Jobs have become arrogant little pricks.

A preemptive fuck you to anyone that disagrees with me. Yes, that means *YOU*.

Oh, now I know why you were rude to me in a post the other day. Somehow I had missed the type of poster you are. Sorry I wasted the time when replied ... obviously pointless.
  • Reply 43 of 219
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

In the first place, what Steve said was so brief and so factual, that any "asshole-ishness" you detect is most likely projection. Secondly, you prove the point by indicating where the anger and bad behaviour is really sourced, i.e. - yourself.

Matched only by your delusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee

Personally, I would never, ever, send an email to Steve Jobs that wasn't perfectly formed at the very least

• Reply 44 of 219
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Steve Jobs has really devolved into an asshole -- a fuckhead to the highest degree.

I really can't wait until there's a real competitor to Apple. Apple and Steve Jobs have become arrogant little pricks.

Hello? Anyone home?

He has ALWAYS been like that. If anything, it seems as if he has mellowed a slight bit over the years.

He could have just said STFU.

And I thought it was "steve" with a lowercase "s".

Thats how his signature is "steve jobs".
  • Reply 45 of 219
    Yet I would really like that snippet to be my signature.
  • Reply 46 of 219
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Duh? And lawyer's usually work for and represent who?

Answer: Clients- and in this case Apple.

Hello?

Indeed, as I said, you pointed out the o-b-v-i-o-u-s.

How slow can you be. Can't you read more than 3 words in a row?
  • Reply 47 of 219
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

"devolved?" "have become?"

While I won't go as far as to say Jobs is "a fuckhead to the highest degree," I will say that Jobs has always been an "asshole" and "an arrogant little prick." Go to folklore.org and read the stories written by people who worked on the original Macintosh project and you'll see what I mean.

Except reports more recent than the 1980's, describe him as a "fun guy to be around" that's "always joking."

I'm getting so tired of this "Steve is an asshole" meme. It hasn't had much evidence to support it for more than 20 years now. He's demanding at times, he says what he thinks. So what.

I've been known to swear at Bus drivers occasionally, that doesn't make me evil incarnate either. Sometimes people need dressing down. It's good for them. If the developer had been corrected a few times as a child instead of "encouraged" to the point of idiocy, he wouldn't have found himself writing a weepy letter to one of the century's strongest personalities hoping to get a commiserative response.
  • Reply 48 of 219
    These guys probably crapped themselves a bit when they got the letter, and not knowing what to do and probably not able to afford a lawyer to ask, they just sent Steve an email trying to ingratiate themselves. Fact is, Apple can come under serious legal constraints if they don't protect their trademarks as fiercely as possible. It may seem like a minor issue, but imagine if any company that wanted to could use the term iPod because it became genericized?
  • Reply 49 of 219
    Being a multi-billionaire, you'd think he could buy an apostrophe.
  • Reply 50 of 219
    Quote:

I think someone is feeling like they need some attention...
  • Reply 51 of 219
    So I haven't read one post questioning the validity of this story... what's up with that?
  • Reply 52 of 219
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Very Nice Steve. I like. This is how more business should be conducted.

"Thanks for stealing our coined-term for your name. Now, can you please grow up and change it, so we can both avoid the legal hassle and we don't end up giving you a ton of undeserved publicity? Thanx"
  • Reply 53 of 219
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    the app name exactly decribes the service provided

and so ipodrip should be allowed to exist as long as the writers >> heart felt plea states he has apple running in his blood thru and thru and has only done good by apple

steve was wrong

steve blew a great chance to show some mercy to the tiny little people who exist only to please his holiness

i guess we all some how mistake apple for a caring entity

they don't care

no buisness ever did

this topic has 100 percent agreed with steve

except me and that kim bim bap dude

• Reply 54 of 219
    Quote:

First of all, AI doesn't have a language filter. Would you mind fixing your post?

Second, Steve Jobs has always been that way. And it suits the industry just fine. It suits customers just fine. Developers keep flocking to the iPhone. As long as Apple rolls out incredible products and acts within the bounds of the law, he can ride a goat around the office in the nude for all I care and make barn animal sounds while on conference calls. So long as such things are permitted.

Steve was acting according to Apple's rights re Trademark law. There is no negotiation. The solution is simple and Jobs advised them accordingly.
  • Reply 55 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lunga View Post

So I haven't read one post questioning the validity of this story... what's up with that?

Apple sues left and right over their "names"- why would anyone question it?
  • Reply 56 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lunga View Post

This story is just barely fit for wrapping fish anyway. Who cares what one whiny crybaby developer wrote to Apple? Revolting.
  • Reply 57 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

First of all, AI doesn't have a language filter. Would you mind fixing your post?

Second, Steve Jobs has always been that way.

So you're agreeing with Kip Kap's names and descriptives?
  • Reply 58 of 219
    if the terse reply was atypical I suppose the guy could get a tad peeved. but it was not. Terse = Job's replies to emails. Has been for quite some time. Johnson, Schiller etc are the ones that send more than two sentences, when they bother to send anything.

also, no way was Steve going to give the okay for a company that didn't ask to use the iPod trademark to keep using it. To do so opens up a huge can of legal worms. His reply really should have been "This is a matter for the legal department." But he pointed out to them that (thanks to this day of DRMfree etc) the issue is just the name. so change it. issue over.

These guys would have gotten that letter a lot sooner than the legal department not been dealing with patent suits, Psystar etc. Because they were using the mark, the letter wouldn't have been sent if they had permission and Apple can't allow that precedent to be set because 'protecting your mark' is a key factor in keeping it.
  • Reply 59 of 219
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

the app name exactly decribes the service provided

and sp ipodrip should be allowed to exist as long as as the qwriters heart felt plea states he has apple running in his blood thru and thru and has only do ne good by apple

steve was wrong

steve blew a great chance to show some mercy to the tiny little people who exist only to please his holiness

i guess we all some how mistake apple for a caring entity

they don't care

no buisness ever did

this topic has 100 percent agreed with steve

except me and that kim bim bap dude

Wow.

Steve was nice to respond at all. I probably wouldn't have. He certainly didn't have to.

It really is no big deal. The Web page can say "formerly called iPodRip" and there will be no confusion.

Frankly, they are lucky the lawyers didn't come done on them years ago for the functionality of the software. It's a feature that Apple could have easily included, but specifically didn't (presumably to make it harder to use iPods to steal music--to not make it easy for me to lend you my iPod and suck off all the music). It's an odd situation because it's actually good for Apple that this app exists, but they can't be seen to be endorsing it.

Anyway, Steve handled it fine. Like someone else pointed out, any "assholeness" you detect in the message is coming from the reader.
  • Reply 60 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonathanC View Post

Being a multi-billionaire, you'd think he could buy an apostrophe.

If you're a multi-billionaire, youre allowed to dispense with it.