Inside Google's Android and Apple's iPhone OS as software markets

Comments

• Reply 81 of 118
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

As I recall, you have no knowledge about iPhone development. And you trying to judge Android/iPhone application development process based on your absent of knowledge?

Then you don't recall correctly.
  • Reply 82 of 118
    Is the article one large joke? It's not fanboyizm, it's much worse. You shouldn't write the article, waste your time. The whole article can be replaced by 2 phases: "We trust in Apple! Amen!"
  • Reply 83 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Then you don't recall correctly.

No, I recall right . On Friday you didn't even know that it's impossible to run your own application on your own iPhone/iPod without paying $99 per year
  • Reply 84 of 118
    Quote:

No, I recall right . On Friday you didn't even know that it's impossible to run your own application on your own iPhone/iPod without paying $99 per year

I guess it will your little secret that all those apps on unofficial app stores are paying Apple $99 a year to run their apps on jailbroken devices.
  • Reply 85 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

at least with firefox i can install extensions, not so with Chrome.

You CAN install extensions with Chrome browser
  • Reply 86 of 118
    Quote:

I guess it will your little secret that all those apps on unofficial app stores are paying Apple $99 a year to run their apps on jailbroken devices.

Are we talking about breaking warranty terms? If you don't know, I'll inform you - jailbreaking void your iPod/iPhone warranty.
  • Reply 87 of 118
    Quote:

Are we talking about breaking warranty terms? If you don't know, I'll inform you - jailbreaking void your iPod/iPhone warranty.

If one is going to be so petty as to bitch about $99 a year so they run an that want for themselves and only for themselves without using the store and SDK as intended, then you might have to think out of the box a little bit. The iPhone doesn?t inform Apple that you?ve jailbroken it. If you can code in C then you can surely run the simple jailbreaking software, you can surely unlock your app and you can restore it to an authorized iPhone OS version even easier if you have some sort of warranty claim. It?s not that hard. Stop bitching about Apple not giving you the exact scenario you want. Either find a solution or endure what you cannot prevent. There is no other viable option for an adult.
  • Reply 88 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

andriod is clunky un wielding crap waiting for A 2nd/3rd android version/s white knights to somehow write SW games .apps for all the limimations of 70 diff platforms all using android

Guys, what are you talking about???? There thousands different configurations of hardware running the SAME operating system (different versions of Windows, Linux, Unix, etc.). You can even get 10-year old hardware and run modern Ubuntu 9.10 without any difficulties. And I can run 99.9% application written for Windows 2000 on modern Windows 7 without any issue. Guys, wake up and look around, it's modern world around you.
  • Reply 89 of 118
    Quote:

If one is going to be so petty as to bitch about $99 a year...

No, it's about your lack of knowledge
  • Reply 90 of 118
    Quote:

No, it's about your lack of knowledge

Says the ?knowledgeable" guy that didn?t know about unofficial app development for iPhone OS that now wants to argue that MS? business model of supports legacy code and HW somehow equates to Android being the modern world while Apple is somehow dooooomed. Which App Store model is making money? Which App Store model has the most apps despite just getting into the game? Which new mobile vendor quickly became the device all other others are compared to, so much so that you felt you had to make an account to say how much you think it sucks?
  • Reply 91 of 118
    Quote:

Says the “knowledgeable" guy...

Calm down and relax

May be you want to discuss Microsoft/Apple business model on desktop OS market? Before you start writing a new post, look at the market share of Windows (92.52%) and MacOS (5.27%).
  • Reply 92 of 118
    Quote:

Calm down and relax

May be you want to discuss Microsoft/Apple business model on desktop OS market? Before you start writing a new post, look at the market share of Windows (92.52%) and MacOS (5.27%).

Of course you?d compare Apple HW sales which is the only way to officially get their OS to a company that sells no PC hardware at all. It?s your inability to understand their different business models that makes you see as failure here. Would you mind explaining to use why Apple hasn?t licensed their OS if market share is the only metric by which a company should concern itself? Personally, I think a for profit company should be concern with profit, but I?m silly like that.
  • Reply 93 of 118
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Calm down and relax

Anyone who posts "It's about your lack of knowledge" with a smug little smilie, then follows up with "Calm down and relax" with another smug little smilie when someone takes umbrage, is an asshole pure and simple, bone stock internet division.
  • Reply 94 of 118
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

I don?t think Apple can stop Google. They are giving away two OSes. It won?t be easy to stop marketshare growth if ease-of-use is even a basic concern of developers.

if ease-of-use ??? the article states clear as rain that google whole system is fragmented disjointed and each upgrade wipes off all the old app from the new board

making for 3 or 4 app stores for each phone

not too mention each phone will demand its own version of that fart app google is a non starter

google will await the nano phone and piggy back bandwidth and stuff

and of course sell ads.

you lose
  • Reply 95 of 118
    Quote:

if ease-of-use ??? the article states clear as rain that google whole system is fragmented disjointed and each upgrade wipes off all the old app from the new board

not too mention each phone will demand its own version of that fart app google is a non starter

and of course sell ads.

you lose

1) You miss the ?if? condition. If developers can make these platforms easy to use then they will be a runaway success at the low, low cost of free. If.

2) The platform isn?t as disjointed as you state. There is the official Google Marketplace and there is the alternative method. It?s possible that carriers, vendors and other will make their own stores. The iPhone has Apple?s official method and several stores for jailbroken phones.

3) The simpler the app the more likely it will run on more devices with varying firmware. Farts apps will likely fall into this category.

4) Google nor I lose here. The only ones that seem to be losing are developers investing a lot of time into apps that aren?t making much money. That is sad since Apple?s App Store needs more competition to keep the platform fresh.
  • Reply 96 of 118
    I strongly disagree with some of the points raised regarding the Android security model. I highly suggest you take a look at the various Android development tutorials, and/or spend a bit of time *really* using an Android phone, and you'll see that the open-ended Windows-like, everything-runs-as-root security nightmare you describe does not exist.

For starters, if you've ever installed an app on an Android phone, you'll see what permissions it has on the device. For example, a weather application might require the following permissions:

- Location (Coarse)

- Internet Access

The weather app needs to read your general location, and download the appropriate weather data. It doesn't need to know your precise GPS coordinates, or read your address book. This is a step up in security compared to the iPhone. Each app then runs in its own user account, and is not able to manipulate data of other applications or break out of its user-approved sandbox.

Additionally Google appears to have done their homework on application lifecycle. Yes, apps can run in the background, but no it's not like Windows Mobile of old. There's nothing technologically unfeasible about making a good multitasking mobile operating system, even with the requirement that the user not be burdened with management of active/open applications. In my opinion, Apple took the easy way out here, and their device suffers as a result.

As far as the idea that the Android only attracts "hobbyists", you might want to try using an Android phone for a week (about the time I've had my Droid). The only applications I miss from the iPhone are:

- XPlane .

- Solebon Solitaire.

- Apple's really nice Timer/Stopwatch, but not the Alarm Clock bit, which didn't always fire.

So far, I've found quite a few attractive applications that more than make up for it, and are far from "hobbyist" items:

- SIPdroid, which allows full transparent VOIP, and will result in saving $60/month by quitting Vonage.

- Droid48, an HP48 emulator that enables me to always have my favorite calculator of all time in my pocket.

- My Tracks, an app that lets me record mountain bike ride tracks, without worrying about accidentally not having the app in the foreground.

- The old game emulators.

- Google Voice.
  • Reply 97 of 118
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

1) You miss the ?if? condition. If developers can make these platforms easy to use then they will be a runaway success at the low, low cost of free. If.

2) The platform isn?t as disjointed as you state. There is the official Google Marketplace and there is the alternative method. It?s possible that carriers, vendors and other will make their own stores. The iPhone has Apple?s official method and several stores for jailbroken phones.

3) The simpler the app the more likely it will run on more devices with varying firmware. Farts apps will likely fall into this category.

4) Google nor I lose here. The only ones that seem to be losing are developers investing a lot of time into apps that aren?t making much money. That is sad since Apple?s App Store needs more competition to keep the platform fresh.

again great sane points

thanks dude

i fear apple's 50 million user installed base will make all other app stores non starters .

and the nano phone will cut the legs out from the bottom feeders and the race to the bottom crew

just like banana rep took the high end gap took the middle and old navy killed off the low end junk ware guy's with cheap fine cotton clothes

apple is so great and hyper speed now that they are killing off markets before they even form

peace

• Reply 98 of 118
    Quote:

and of course sell ads.

you lose

Exactly! Google just wants you to help search better. Just because they created an OS, doesn't make them a rival of Apple. The fight for marketshare will be between the handset makers and Apple. And who said there is any ease-of-use.

What about the latest HTC Hero from sprint that downgraded the OS from a 2.0 to 1.5. Thats one sure shot 'Androidal Hiccup'

Now who do you think is at fault? Who will suffer?
  • Reply 99 of 118
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkhosa View Post

What about the latest HTC Hero from sprint that downgraded the OS from a 2.0 to 1.5. Thats one sure shot 'Androidal Hiccup'

Which Hero has 2.0? All the HTC Hero's have 1.5
  • Reply 100 of 118
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Which Hero has 2.0? All the HTC Hero's have 1.5

The recent firmware update was rumored to have an upgrade, but it runs on the same 1.0 version.