Time Inc. demos tablet-friendly magazine concept

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Adobe already runs on Google Android Mobile Platform. It doesn't run well on OSX (any version) and isn't compatible with the iPhone.

I seem to be missing where Apple comes into this picture? Other than they have a rumored device that is going to be betwen 200 & 2,000 dollars and will run an operation system still unknown.

Edit. Google's OS is going to be free. This could be why they created Google Chrome OS to run on a tablet.

Not sure if I understand what you mean. Adobe AIR, which was used to create this demo, runs fine on my Mac (using Snow Leopard). I use the New York Times Reader (built with Adobe AIR) and it works like a dream.

I work in publishing and this tech, along with the rumored Apple Tablet, has me very excited. Some publishing friends and I are putting together ideas for a dual language publication using this tech. Publishing, and the advertising it features, will soon be turned on its head.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacMad View Post

Not sure if I understand what you mean. Adobe AIR, which was used to create this demo, runs fine on my Mac (using Snow Leopard). I use the New York Times Reader (built with Adobe AIR) and it works like a dream.

I work in publishing and this tech, along with the rumored Apple Tablet, has me very excited. Some publishing friends and I are putting together ideas for a dual language publication using this tech. Publishing, and the advertising it features, will soon be turned on its head.

I congratulate you.

You are the only Apple user I've ever heard say this. Anytime Adobe Flash is mentioned in a tech room Apple users always say it runs terrible.

You must be one of the lucky ones.

I just logged into this site because it was in my tech section of my Google home page.

Then am I also wrong that it doesn't run on the iPhone?
  • Reply 23 of 78
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    OK, leaving aside which, if any, publishers might create Apple Tablet specific content, the Time demo was the sort of thing I was thinking of in the thread I started, "Tablet as Chameleon."

I think the demo is a good example of the difference between running an app full screen, and an app basically taking over the device. Central to the whole concept of the demo is the idea that the tablet is the magazine, and, in so far as is possible, the UI and hardware "go away" in favor of intuitive touch gestures and real world behaviors. The content is all there is-- which is why I thought that a device actually designed around that paradigm might be appealing to publishers, since you get back some of the mojo of a single issue of a paper magazine.

But music publishers might like it too, since you could do the same thing with albums, ala iTunes LP. Give the customer the sense of physical ownership of a specific thing, by letting the content dictate every aspect of the device experience.

Or now it's a virtual game console, with soft controls and no distracting anything else. Or musical instrument. When you take away the keyboard and various bits of hardware, as in the manner of the iPhone, it's much more possible to create this experience of the device becoming the software, with the screen being the only thing you interact with.

My guess is that Apple is going to go to great lengths to "make the hardware disappear", even if it means emphasizing thinness and lightness over other possible choices-- which of course will drive some people crazy. But if I'm right, Apple is banking on the idea of moving past the "computer" paradigm and more towards the iPhone appliance model, except that much more powerful.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    Flash on the iPhone is a fail :-) But, yes, Adobe AIR on the Mac works just fine (at least my Times Reader works just fine).
  • Reply 25 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

OK, leaving aside which, if any, publishers might create Apple Tablet specific content, the Time demo was the sort of thing I was thinking of in the thread I started, "Tablet as Chameleon."

I don't want to harp on about Adobe AIR, but this can work on any device. NYT Reader runs on a Mac and a PC. (Though I must say, the interface is very Mac-esque).
  • Reply 26 of 78
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

Those were Safari symbols in the demo! The open book for bookmarks, etc...

Not only that, but the tablet looks like the screen of a macbook pro..the aluminum edge, the black band around the screen, the glossy display, etc.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    Quote:

My guess is that Apple is going to go to great lengths to "make the hardware disappear", even if it means emphasizing thinness and lightness over other possible choices-- which of course will drive some people crazy. But if I'm right, Apple is banking on the idea of moving past the "computer" paradigm and more towards the iPhone appliance model, except that much more powerful.

How can Apple go to great lengths to "make the hardware disappear" when there is no hardware to make disappear. It's was demo'd on an HP.

Why would anybody buy a Tablet if Apple comes out with one that will run on any machine that has Adobe Air or HTML 5 on it?

If Time's concept will run on a PC what would ever make an Apple Tablet worth the price or give any PC user that already have tablets available to them buy one?

Apple is non existent in the tablet category and until anything of substance is released by Apple the Apple iTablet doesn't exist. This has been rumored for how many years now?
  • Reply 28 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacMad View Post

I don't want to harp on about Adobe AIR, but this can work on any device. NYT Reader runs on a Mac and a PC. (Though I must say, the interface is very Mac-esque).

Why woud the author go out of his/her way to point out it was demo'd on an HP?

Do all Apple rumor sites really live in a life of "I'll believe anything the article says"?

If it was running on a Mac then don't you think the article would have said.

"This demo was done on a MAC X compute".

Live with the facts as they have been posted and speculate all you want but it's an HP on a PC Platform.

If Time does go this route then I'll be able to subscribe on my PC. Why would I need another device? I have a smart phone that has Adobe Flash on it and a PC that has the same.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Another game-changing product in the off-ing. No doubt about it.

Congratulations, AI, for calling it early (perhaps, first?), and sticking to your guns on some of your basic predictions (e.g., no budging from your prediction of first quarter of CY 2010).

Agreed. Paper magazines are about to go the way of CDs.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:

How can Apple go to great lengths to "make the hardware disappear" when there is no hardware to make disappear. It's was demo'd on an HP.

Why would anybody buy a Tablet if Apple comes out with one that will run on any machine that has Adobe Air or HTML 5 on it?

If Time's concept will run on a PC what would ever make an Apple Tablet worth the price or give any PC user that already have tablets available to them buy one?

Apple is non existent in the tablet category and until anything of substance is released by Apple the Apple iTablet doesn't exist. This has been rumored for how many years now?

Ahem. First of all, as I said in the post, my thoughts were irrespective of publisher specific content. OTOH, it's been widely reported that Apple has been talking to publishers about a specific device and a specific format.

Finally, it's a given that any discussion of a possible Apple tablet is purely speculative. My thoughts on the matter are just that-- my speculation as to what an Apple device, should one be released, might look and act like.

Given all that, I notice you're willing to indulge in quite a bit of speculation yourself-- demanding to know what the ramifications of non-existent exclusive deals and imaginary software incompatibility would be on the fortunes of a rumored device......
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:

Why woud the author go out of his/her way to point out it was demo'd on an HP?

Do all Apple rumor sites really live in a life of "I'll believe anything the article says"?

If it was running on a Mac then don't you think the article would have said.

"This demo was done on a MAC X compute".

Live with the facts as they have been posted and speculate all you want but it's an HP on a PC Platform.

If Time does go this route then I'll be able to subscribe on my PC. Why would I need another device? I have a smart phone that has Adobe Flash on it and a PC that has the same.

I never said the demo was run on a Mac. You are right, it was said to run on an HP. Perhaps Apple will produce a Tablet that only runs its own digital magazine software... but... iTunes can be run on a Mac or a PC, and the music from Sony, etc, runs fine via iTunes whether you own a Mac or a PC.

It might not work that differently when we look at digital publishing.

If that is the case, you might ask 'why buy the Mac Tablet and not, say, a PC tablet?'

For me, it would be the same reason why I have an iPhone, an iMac and a MacBook. I like Apple's products, its OS, its UI and its support.

No one ever forces you to buy a Mac.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    Quote:

Ahem. First of all, as I said in the post, my thoughts were irrespective of publisher specific content. OTOH, it's been widely reported that Apple has been talking to publishers about a specific device and a specific format.

Finally, it's a given that any discussion of a possible Apple tablet is purely speculative. My thoughts on the matter are just that-- my speculation as to what an Apple device, should one be released, might look and act like.

Given all that, I notice you're willing to indulge in quite a bit of speculation yourself-- demanding to know what the ramifications of non-existent exclusive deals and imaginary software incompatibility would be on the fortunes of a rumored device......

OK. Then I'll speculate. Google owns the Book market and has likely partnered with major publishers for Google Chrome OS.

This is likely the reason they sank 3 billion into clearwire in 2008

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/...-internet.html

Google's dream for a free wireless Internet. Small test with Airports this holiday season to roll out bigger things for 2010.

If I can speculate then this is what I see for 2010. Why would I want to be tied to AT&T if I can have a free wireless Internet tablet that will run Time Inc magazines. Not mentioned in any of the articles are Hearst Publications doing the same thing but you can just Google it or Bing it since Apple doesn't do search either.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    I'm not sure what the big deal is Zinio has been doing this for years using a DRMed PDF format with embedded videos and slideshows and such. This looks to be pretty much the same thing with a newer UI treatment. Most of your favorite magazines are already available in the Zinio format.

http://www.zinio.com/
  • Reply 34 of 78
    Quote:

Do you think the tablet will only do this? You might want to look at what Apple did with the iPhone, app store, etc.

They have a great formula for a product that is well supported and widely capable.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calcanuck View Post

I'm not sure what the big deal is Zinio has been doing this for years using a DRMed PDF format with embedded videos and slideshows and such. This looks to be pretty much the same thing with a newer UI treatment. Most of your favorite magazines are already available in the Zinio format.

I was about to mention Zinio. It's pretty nice. But, again, the Apple Tablet or whatever they will name it will not simply be a reading device. It will have plenty of other uses. For some reason, everyone is caught up on the reading function. Not long ago, there was major debate over whether it would run OS X or iPhone OS...
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Do you think the tablet will only do this? You might want to look at what Apple did with the iPhone, app store, etc.

They have a great formula for a product that is well supported and widely capable.

Google sold more Droids than the first iPhone in the first week so I guess you can say the same applies for Google's chance since both Mobile and OS already support Flash and Apple will never allow Flash on the iPhone.

Edit. Sorry Verizon sold more Droids. The Google phone won't be out until 2010 kind of like the Apple iWanna Be a Tablet.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    If Droids are so good, go buy one.

I'm waiting for a tablet from Apple (to add to my collection of other Apples).
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Think of all the trees that won't get cut down because of the Apple Tablet replacing all the paper publications.

Just as the desktop computer made the "paperless office"!

Environmentalists always crack me up... Did ya hear about the Global Warming hoax pulled by Al Gore and company??? "He betrayed this world! He played on our fears!" Love it when their own words come back to bite them on the a$$.

http://www.grist.org/article/2009-11...ts-emails-CRU/

Sorry I couldn't publish a link of a similar story from the New York Times newspaper, but NYT on Hacked Global Warming Emails, "We Won't Publish Statements That Were Never Intended for the Public Eye".

Unless of course they are The Pentagon Papers!!!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DX%26um%3D1

Good to know the New York Times is Fair and Balance and is objective journalism at its best and is staffed by the most ethical reporters and journalists and editors of all time! Wait for it....

Wait for it...

Wait for it....

• Reply 39 of 78
    Quote:

OK. Then I'll speculate. Google owns the Book market and has likely partnered with major publishers for Google Chrome OS.

This is likely the reason they sank 3 billion into clearwire in 2008

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/...-internet.html

Google's dream for a free wireless Internet. Small test with Airports this holiday season to roll out bigger things for 2010.

If I can speculate then this is what I see for 2010. Why would I want to be tied to AT&T if I can have a free wireless Internet tablet that will run Time Inc magazines. Not mentioned in any of the articles are Hearst Publications doing the same thing but you can just Google it or Bing it since Apple doesn't do search either.

Yes, we're all free to speculate. What you've got there is mostly gibberish driven by what appears to be dead stock Apple animus, as demonstrated by the pissy little "Apple doesn't do search either", there at the end. Devastating, all the fan boys are in tears.

But, you know, if you have to invoke a free OS on a free tablet on a free internet to "prove" that any possible Apple branded tablet would be a poor value, then knock yourself out. I've actually had my limit of "emotionally damaged people who's loathing of Apple compels them to register at an Apple site and explain how everybody's an idiot" for the week.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by calcanuck View Post

Zinio is okay, but it is old hat. The problem with such page-turner devices is that they are essentially a magazine scanned to a PDF. Using them is clumsy and reading them is tough. For most page-turner software you have to zoom in and out and you quickly lose both where you are on the page, and your will to live.

It is an attempt to make print media more digital-friendly than simple web-pages, but users really hate using it. Time Inc's demo gives a great taste of how impressive this new digital format could be.