Time Inc. demos tablet-friendly magazine concept

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If by not hurting, you mean possibly losing a significant chunk of their sales to Napster, but raping people other ways, you probably are correct.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Speaking of ?green?, the music industry wasn?t hurting when Apple came along and wanted to sell music online, but the publishers are hurting.

• Reply 62 of 78
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    At least your screen name is appropriate.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brainless View Post

Eco-terrorists probably don't want to hear this opinion. So true.

• Reply 63 of 78
    The demo from SI also suggests other amazing possibilities: better electronic textbooks.

As I'm not a programmer, but am an educational materials developer, I hope Apple or somebody produces an app that will allow people to create content easily.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Think of all the trees that won't get cut down because of the Apple Tablet replacing all the paper publications.

At least books do not have to be plugged in to fossil powered wall sockets. Mostly trees are replanted, and cutting down and planting trees provides jobs.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I've had Zinio reader for magazines for almost 10 years now. Who cares?

Beside I prefer paper anyway- if I can't touch it, and throw it out or pass it on, I don't want it.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    I see they dropped a hint, in the guise is a Mac OS scrollbar

• Reply 67 of 78
    Textbooks...

With audio/video, weblinks, interactive quizzes, note taking and marking-up. Awesome learning tools, especially for language arts, history, science, art, well, every topic, I guess. Would beat the heck out of lugging paper versions around.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I've had Zinio reader for magazines for almost 10 years now. Who cares?

Beside I prefer paper anyway- if I can't touch it, and throw it out or pass it on, I don't want it.

Oh will you shut up. Do you ever have anything positive to say? If you ask me you use this website as an opportunity to give out.

"Search your feelings young Skywalker."
  • Reply 69 of 78
    Brian Garner is my new favorite AI writer. I like his straight forward approach to writing an article.
  • Reply 70 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Textbooks...

With audio/video, weblinks, interactive quizzes, note taking and marking-up. Awesome learning tools, especially for language arts, history, science, art, well, every topic, I guess. Would beat the heck out of lugging paper versions around.

If done right you probably are making a lot of sense right now.
  • Reply 71 of 78
    If I am going to be paying for these it would be nice to not have any advertisements...especially video intensive ones. Take the junk out and keep it clean.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Depends what you want to pay for it. Magazines already know they have advertisers who buy editorial, I mean adverts, every week. I'd imagine that's worth well more than newstand and subscription revenue.

So even though this is far cheaper to produce and distribute (ie costs far less), sales revenue would be down much more without ads.

Still, I think its very, very important that the magazines reflects better value if it costs them less to produce and they cut out a good number of the usual handlers (delivery, newsagents etc). We need to see them share the savings with us too.

It's micropayments that work best online and if the magazines get greedy (as I fear they might) they'll attempt to drop e-mags on for the usual newstand prices (ie $5, 10, 15, 20 for many mags). In my view that's just not going to cut it.

The price equation must be kept down and low if they want this market and this product to succeed.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    I think was an extremely impressive demo - Time obviously understands that the future of magazines is going to depend upon value add - not simply having a magazine in electronic form, which is all that book publishers have done so far. I have not purchased an e-Reader to date because aside from the advantages of storage, I see no value-add. This demo proves that there can be substantial value-add.

The combination of adding video and additional photos to traditional articles combined with real-time scores makes absolutely perfect sense and in spite the comments of some of the naysayers who have posted, overcomes the objections of emedia vs. print.

I can see taking it even further - when you have an article about the game, you click on an appropriate picture or icon and get all of the highlights from a game, perhaps actually eminating from a ESPN or ABC or the NFL itself or whatever.

Regardless of the hardware platform used in this particular demo, it's pretty obvious that the type and level of interaction was heavily influenced by Apple's established UI.

What's not completely clear is whether this was an improvised demo or an actual, fully interactive, fully working application.

What's also not clear is the level of editorial and technical resources necessary to bring each issue to fruition. Even if this type of publishing can eventually save the skins of magazine companies, they're all suffering financially and they're not going to make huge investments. As just a few small examples, if you buy 50 photographs exclusively from a photographer instead of 3, that's going to cost you a lot more money. If you include video, someone's got to edit it. Even with all the interaction and value-add, would someone be willing to pay $10 an issue for SI? It might not be financially viable if not.

What Apple will bring to the party if they follow the iPhone model is development tools and a store. Regardless of the positives or negatives of Apple's tools for the iPhone, 100,000 apps have been developed in a relatively short time period. In the past, Apple also brought their UI expertise and their UI was always a few years ahead of everyone else, but I think this demo proves that the gap is closing fast. The question is whether the demo was animated or tool-based.

But a brilliant first attempt at demonstrating the possibilities. Now we'll have to wait and see what Apple brings to the table. At the very least, my bet is that it also has many of the iPhone capabilities: email, web browsing, movie viewing, etc.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I think was an extremely impressive demo - Time obviously understands that the future of magazines is going to depend upon value add - not simply having a magazine in electronic form, which is all that book publishers have done so far. I have not purchased an e-Reader to date because aside from the advantages of storage, I see no value-add. This demo proves that there can be substantial value-add.

I don't know if I agree it's substantial value-add, but definitely some added value, depending on magazine price of course. I definitely agree about e-readers though, they are simply far too expensive for what you get. Most of these books are available for free at the local library, and it get you out of the house.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

OK. Just pause the video at position 2:17. Then take a close look at the scroll bar on the pop-up view. Any Mac user can tell you that it is a standard Mac OS X scroll bar.

It does not matter what it was demoed on. The magazine publishing authoring tool will likely run on Windows and Mac. In preview mode, the screen will look exactly like the target device. Similar to the iPhone software development tools that run only on the Mac.

Also, Time Inc. and Apple Inc. have very good relations. Time was probably one of the first publishing companies that Apple contacted and I am sure they would not say no to something like this. Once the product is released, the authoring tools will probably be made available to the general public. Who knows perhaps the authoring tools will be free for Apple Publishing partners.

Why does it bother you so much that this is an Apple product?

ciao

Wow. I just can't believe some people

This is not a "demo". It is a "mock-up". It is a fabricated animated illustration. Do you get it yet?

No? Let me try again: The video is just animated simulation of what the product will (presumably) do. It is not a video of someone actually using an actual existing device.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I see they dropped a hint, in the guise of a Mac OS scrollbar

And the diagonal light reflection on the black margin of the screen is very Apple marketing too. Perhaps that means that Time have grabbed an Apple image and used it to create their own rumormongering buzz around their own demo, because that screen border is a perfect copy of the unibody Macbook screen that I'm reading this on.

Not that this means much, but it's fun to pick these things out.

BTW - given that so many people have problems with the reflective screens, it seems odd that Apple highlight the problem by having a diagonal light reflection across all their monitor images.
  • Reply 77 of 78
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Just as the desktop computer made the "paperless office"!

Environmentalists always crack me up... Did ya hear about the Global Warming hoax pulled by Al Gore and company??? "He betrayed this world! He played on our fears!" Love it when their own words come back to bite them on the a$$.

http://www.grist.org/article/2009-11...ts-emails-CRU/

Sorry I couldn't publish a link of a similar story from the New York Times newspaper, but NYT on Hacked Global Warming Emails, "We Won't Publish Statements That Were Never Intended for the Public Eye".

Unless of course they are The Pentagon Papers!!!

Good to know the New York Times is Fair and Balance and is objective journalism at its best and is staffed by the most ethical reporters and journalists and editors of all time! Wait for it....

Wait for it...

Wait for it....

You actually don't know what you are saying. Of the millions of of data points and thousands of conflicts and collaborations that go in ALL scientific research, let alone global warming, many are questionable and up for debate and interpretation.

Whether there is global warming trends and whether it is human caused has nothing to do with emails, it has to do with data and trends and well designed computer models.

Everything else is only useful for People magazine and right-wing radio dolts.

So your LOL's, mini-Nixon are stupid.

And the Pentagon Papers were actually important.
  • Reply 78 of 78
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Just as the desktop computer made the "paperless office"!

Environmentalists always crack me up... Did ya hear about the Global Warming hoax pulled by Al Gore and company??? "He betrayed this world! He played on our fears!" Love it when their own words come back to bite them on the a$$.

http://www.grist.org/article/2009-11...ts-emails-CRU/

:

How about this from the same website.

http://www.grist.org/article/2009-11-28-on-climategate/