Apple predicted to offer 300,000 iPhone apps, tablet in 2010

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Research firm IDC believes the iPhone App Store will reach the 300,000 landmark in 2010, and more than 1 billion total mobile devices will access the Internet. The company has also offered its predictions on the Apple tablet.



Just one year ago, the App Store had roughly 10,000 applications. In November, Apple announced that it had reached the 100,000 milestone less than a year and a half after its debut.



"That's an annual growth rate of 900%," IDC said. "As a point of comparison, there are on the order of 10,000 Windows PC applications listed on Microsoft's Windows 7 compatibility Web site. We predict at least 300,000 iPhone applications by the end of 2010, many of the new apps coming from well-known Global 2000 business and consumer brands -- and attracting more consumers and businesspeople to these platforms as their most commonly and heavily used clients."



IDC also believes mobile devices connected to the Internet will nearly eclipse that of total worldwide PCs in 2010. There are currently 1.3 billion PCs accessing the Internet, but smartphones are growing at a rate 2.5 times faster than PCs.



"It will be a watershed year for the ascension of mobile devices: For the first time, over 1 billion such devices will access the Internet," IDC Chief Analyst Frank Gens said in a video that accompanied the report. "Smartphones will become strategic platforms for commercial and enterprise developers, with the number of iPhone apps tripling, and Android apps quintupling. And we expect to finally see Apple introduce the 'iPad.'"



Last year, IDC predicted that the Apple tablet would not appear in 2009. But now the firm believes that 2010 will be the year of the tablet, with a 8- to 10-inch touchscreen device released by Apple before year's end that will be more iPod touch than Mac.



The device will be used for watching movies, playing games, surfing the Web, and reading newspapers, magazines and books. Because of the multifunction capabilities of the device, Gens told The New York Times that the still-unseen Apple tablet "could deliver a real kick in Kindle's butt."



The firm also suggested Apple could handle data plans for the device through the iTunes store.



"One big question for 2010 is which way Apple will go with 3G connectivity for the iPad -- private labeling a wireless carrier's network as 'AppleNet' or simply merchandising carriers' wireless subscriptions through the iTunes store," the report said.



IDC also expects Apple's rival to the north, Microsoft, to formally introduce its own touchscreen device, code-named "Courier." Extensive pictures and details of the likely still-in-development hardware were leaked in September, though the company has not confirmed their authenticity.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    "That's an annual growth rate of 900%," IDC said. "As a point of comparison, there are on the order of 10,000 Windows PC applications listed on Microsoft's Windows 7 compatibility Web site. We predict at least 300,000 iPhone applications by the end of 2010...



    *needle scratching vinyl disc*



    Not if it takes TWO FUCKING MONTHS to approve a simple app!
  • Reply 2 of 89
    Well, I'm disappointed. I don't want a 10-inch iPod touch. I already have an iPhone for that crap. I wonder what effect an "iPad" would have on future iPhone sales. For example, if I can stay with Verizon and keep a "simple" BlackBerry that's functional for work and personal life AND buy an "iPad" for all the other functions an iPhone offers - what's stopping me? In other words, will Apple risk losing a segment of the market that wants to switch to an iPhone but hates AT&T?



    But what the hell am I saying... I'll probably be a first adopter of this "iPad."
  • Reply 3 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post


    *needle scratching vinyl disc*



    Not if it takes TWO FUCKING MONTHS to approve a simple app!



    Daily app submissions often touch 1000 with the highest being 1400 apps approved on a single day!.



    So doesnt seem too high a target to me. Am happy to be an iPhone Developer ... :
  • Reply 4 of 89
    3 plainly obvious "predictions".
  • Reply 5 of 89
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    The Apple iTablet must also run Mac applications. It must be a touch Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 89
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    ... IDC also expects ... Microsoft, to formally introduce its own touchscreen device, code-named "Courier." Extensive pictures and details of the likely still-in-development hardware were leaked in September, ...



    This is a complete misrepresentation of the facts.



    What we saw in September was a concept video, and a very clunky, very early pre-prototype of the concept. This is not a "likely ... in development" device. This is in the concept stage. In the design world, there is a big difference between those two things.
  • Reply 7 of 89
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post


    The Apple iTablet must also run Mac applications. It must be a touch Mac.



    So you say, ... on every single thread for months now.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    300,000 apps eh? The store is getting more and more congested and there must be a better way to organize and get exposure to the smaller developers.
  • Reply 9 of 89
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,741member
    It will be a watershed year for the ascension of mobile devices



    Take a bow, Apple!
  • Reply 10 of 89
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,741member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post


    The Apple iTablet must also run Mac applications. It must be a touch Mac.



    It'll be what it'll be. And it'll be amazing. You'll want one and so will everyone else. Rest assured.
  • Reply 11 of 89
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post


    ... Not if it takes TWO FUCKING MONTHS to approve a simple app!



    It may have taken months to approve one app or another, from time to time, but the average approval time is far far less. That's the only thing that counts.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Most of these are games and useless Widgets (fart, double fart).

    Next.



    Wake me up when we're discussing real apps.
  • Reply 13 of 89
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    It'll be what it'll be. And it'll be amazing. You'll want one and so will everyone else. Rest assured.



    Isn't that what we also heard about the MacBook Air and the AppleTV?

    I'll believe it when I see it. An $999 app tablet ain't gonna cut it.
  • Reply 14 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


    This is a complete misrepresentation of the facts.



    What we saw in September was a concept video, and a very clunky, very early pre-prototype of the concept. This is not a "likely ... in development" device. This is in the concept stage. In the design world, there is a big difference between those two things.



    Exactly. That "Courier" thing was a CGI rendering of a concept, and just more noise from Redmond designed to steal others' thunder. It's not even a prototype yet, and I doubt it'll ever see the light of day. You might as well call the Starship Enterprise "in development" based on the same logic.
  • Reply 15 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    Isn't that what we also heard about the MacBook Air and the AppleTV?



    No. Where did YOU hear that?
  • Reply 16 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post


    Well, I'm disappointed. I don't want a 10-inch iPod touch. I already have an iPhone for that crap. I wonder what effect an "iPad" would have on future iPhone sales. For example, if I can stay with Verizon and keep a "simple" BlackBerry that's functional for work and personal life AND buy an "iPad" for all the other functions an iPhone offers - what's stopping me? In other words, will Apple risk losing a segment of the market that wants to switch to an iPhone but hates AT&T?



    But what the hell am I saying... I'll probably be a first adopter of this "iPad."



    It will be interesting...to see how it fits. I have a 3GS and would consider the Tablet over getting a MBA. But like you, who knows, I probably end up with both!
  • Reply 17 of 89
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post


    Well, I'm disappointed. I don't want a 10-inch iPod touch.



    Nor do I. I don't have ten-inch pockets.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliphord View Post


    I already have an iPhone for that crap.



    So do I, but for me the solution isn't a 10" tablet running OS X. If you have to sit down, or if it requires both hands, it isn't mobile.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post


    The Apple iTablet must also run Mac applications. It must be a touch Mac.



    Right, because that's the paradigm that drove the iPhone/iPod Touch success. Full OS tablets are failures except in niches. Apple realized this and designed the best mobile OS yet. They will do the same for the iWhateverit'scalled.
  • Reply 18 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    It will be a watershed year for the ascension of mobile devices



    Take a bow, Apple!



    Well said, Quadra!



    Man oh Man, if a business doesn't have an iPhone App or at the very minimum a website configured for the iPhone they are truly missing the boat in big way!
  • Reply 19 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Extensive pictures and details of the likely still-in-development hardware were leaked in September, though the company has not confirmed their authenticity.



    Pictures are not made in photoshop.
  • Reply 20 of 89
    irelandireland Posts: 17,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post


    *needle scratching vinyl disc*



    Not if it takes TWO FUCKING MONTHS to approve a simple app!



Sign In or Register to comment.