Publisher Hearst releases plans for digital magazine, newspaper service

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hearst Corp. plans to launch a service sometime in 2010 to sell digital subscriptions of magazines and newspapers intended to be viewed on e-readers, cell phones, and tablets.

Dubbed Skiff, Hearst Corp.'s planned digital periodical distribution portal is poised to rival Amazon's Kindle store at providing virtual newspapers and magazines to a variety of electronic devices. Hearst wants to create a full service system with a digital storefront along with a distribution back-end to allow publishers to easily deliver content.

The Wall Street Journal reports that Skiff has been in development for more than two years. Several other companies have signed on to be part of the service alongside Hearst's newspapers and magazines, but have not yet been named.

"The platforms and devices that other people are building are not really appropriate for newspapers and magazines," Kenneth A. Bronfin, president of Hearst Interactive Media reportedly said. "We are going to create an entity by publishers for publishers."

Skiff is also reportedly developing its own digital media device using Sprint Nextel Corp's wireless network to deliver content. Hearst said that it will offer subscriptions on some other e-readers as well as netbooks and smartphones - including Apple's iPhone.

Hearst competitor Time Inc. recently demoed an example of its digital magazine format that may compete with Skiff as a platform. It was reported several weeks ago that rumors had surfaced over the creation of plans for a multi-publisher iTunes-like digital store for selling magazines which seems would also be a competitor to this service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I imagine Apple was pitching an iTunes for magazines and newspapers idea; from the recent news it looks like Time and Hearst, at least, are interested in going it on their own. Understandable, if Apple's pitch included the kind of device/vendor lock-in that iTunes has managed for music, but it's also that lock-in that helped push legal downloads past their infancy.

But now these publishers need to be careful. If each one of them comes up with a different format and distribution model, they'll needlessly hamper widespread adoption of digital periodicals, just like they were doing with music before Apple came along.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    No more "Read all about it!" heard on a street corner ...

oops showing my age with that joke!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

But now these publishers need to be careful. If each one of them comes up with a different format and distribution model, they'll needlessly hamper widespread adoption of digital periodicals, just like they were doing with music before Apple came along.

So true on the rival formats - we have seen that fail so often. Maybe some will try both Apple and their own in parallel unless SJ says it's iTunes only or nothing. My money is on Apple pulling out ahead fast though, they have been planning this a long time and not rushed to market by any stretch of the imagination. Apple could have come up with a Kindle killer a while back. They have something totally new up their sleeves IMHO.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Heh.

Apple has talked to the publishers just like they talked to the cell phone companies.

And they are scared shitless.

Good luck Hearst. :loll:

Because I for one know that I will not be purchasing an electronic device from a magazine publisher.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I imagine Apple was pitching an iTunes for magazines and newspapers idea; from the recent news it looks like Time and Hearst, at least, are interested in going it on their own. Understandable, if Apple's pitch included the kind of device/vendor lock-in that iTunes has managed for music, but it's also that lock-in that helped push legal downloads past their infancy.

It sure seems like Apple may have been pitching to publishers as the rumours stated, but if they haven?t it wouldn?t be the first time technologic symmetry has occurred. Is there a name for that phenomenon?

Now in the digital age the instant exchange of ideas both in text and imagery makes can potentially make this even more common to the point of being synergistic (if I can use that term here).

I admit that I didn?t see how a tablet computer would be a viable device for a couple years of Ireland posting mockups. I conceive of the newspapers and magazines offering subscriptions or textbook publishers offering digital books with an OS with integrated mark up to mimic the benefits of a physical book. I only saw the Mac OS X UI that was pasted on it and kept thinking about how much Windows on a tablet is simply wrong and wouldn?t work.

Is the iTunes LP and Extras formats the format that Apple will be pushing with HTML5, CSS and JS at the core? This does allow for each publisher to make their own pages as they see fit, so long as they are using open standards, yet allows for Apple (or other vendors) to DRM the content either as a package like iPhone apps or just the media content within. The iTunes LP and Extras submission process is said be going full automated early next year. Is this just in time for the tablet to start shipping? (obviously these questions are rhetorical)
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Because I for one know that I will not be purchasing an electronic device from a magazine publisher.

I think Apple has(had) a pretty easy sell here. They have proven themselves capable of making HW people want and legitimizing online distribution. They have the tools and services in place. But most importantly, print is dying and websites don?t much money from ads or get many subscribers so the publishers are in dire straights right now. I can see Apple coming in looking like a saviour. If may be a deal with the devil but I can?t see them saying no and losing a potential long term revenue stream. Who else can offer what Apple can offer and has the proof to back up their ability to make a product and service work? I can?t think of any.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think Apple has(had) a pretty easy sell here. They have proven themselves capable of making HW people want and legitimizing online distribution. They have the tools and services in place. But most importantly, print is dying and websites don’t much money from ads or get many subscribers so the publishers are in dire straights right now. I can see Apple coming in looking like a saviour. If may be a deal with the devil but I can’t see them saying no and losing a potential long term revenue stream. Who else can offer what Apple can offer and has the proof to back up their ability to make a product and service work? I can’t think of any.

Publisher's made it VERY clear that they would not let Apple control the situation. They are working together for a media that is platform independent and they will control the distribution just like they have for the last 100 years.

It may be a new era but pulishers learned a lot from Apple and will make sure it is platform independent media that can be accessed from both touch e-readers as well as generic browsers on every platform.

iDon't think the Apple Tablet is going to have a chance unless it's $300 and not tied to any carrier.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

I think Apple has(had) a pretty easy sell here. They have proven themselves capable of making HW people want and legitimizing online distribution. They have the tools and services in place. But most importantly, print is dying and websites don?t much money from ads or get many subscribers so the publishers are in dire straights right now. I can see Apple coming in looking like a saviour. If may be a deal with the devil but I can?t see them saying no and losing a potential long term revenue stream. Who else can offer what Apple can offer and has the proof to back up their ability to make a product and service work? I can?t think of any.

And yet the entrenched media industries seem to be dead set on shooting themselves in the foot. They don't want to be "content providers" for somebody else's system, they want to be end to end proprietary vertical integrators. And, I suspect, they are particularly wary of Apple, because they don't want to be in the position of the record labels two or three years down the line.

Why the hell would a publishing company imagine that they were qualified to make a tablet? Because they've mastered printing presses? Why would they imagine that consumers want to have to download and install a bunch of different software, just for the privilege of accessing their stuff?

I dunno, I don't think we can underestimate the hubris of these guys. They may have told Apple to take a walk, that they had it all under control.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Publisher's made it VERY clear that they would not let Apple control the situation. They are working together for a media that is platform independent and they will control the distribution just like they have for the last 100 years.

Since when have most publishers controlled the entire distribution? Newspapers, sure, when they used to be delivered to your doorstep, but most periodicals are simply sold to stores that sell them. Why would this change now when many are at death’s door.

Can you post a source for this news that they are working together on a format or platform? I hope it’s true but I am very skeptical that can come together and make something that they have direct or indirect experience doing.

Quote:

It may be a new era but pulishers learned a lot from Apple and will make sure it is platform independent media that can't be accessed from both touch e-readers as well as generic browsers on every platform.

They want it to be platform independent while also not being platform independent. I could understand if you said, like I stated, that they wanted to use open standards but then protect it from being copied by packaging secure versions for different devices.

Quote:

iDon't think the Apple Tablet is going to have a chance unless it's $300 and not tied to any carrier.

“iDon’t”? … Oi vey! I think the Tablet has a chance so long as it’s a real device and not some cheap piece of crap that sells for $300 free and clear. How much are the Nook and Kindle and you see what you get for that price. I honestly can’t think of a single tablet that is even close to $300 with a 10” display and the power to play videos in full screen. If you have an example of one please post it.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Why the hell would a publishing company imagine that they were qualified to make a tablet? Because they've mastered printing presses? Why would they imagine that consumers want to have to download and install a bunch of different software, just for the privilege of accessing their stuff?

Time Inc and Hearst are Billion dollar corporations. Do you honestly believe that with 50 magazines at least between the two of them and who knows else is in on the game that they haven't planned this out.

Neither company is going to go it with their own media player. With a tablet coming out every other day they don't have to. Apple may have a tablet but they will have to stands in line to get distribution rights just like ever other vendor.

Any device that has a Google OS platform has an advantage. No/Low OS cost and it's already compatible with every publishers plans.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Since when have most publishers controlled the distribution? Newspapers, sure, when they used to be delivered to your doorstep, but most periodicals are simply sold to stores that sell them. Why would this change now when many are at death’s door.

By you extremely uneducated, ignorant posting you don't know that the publisher has always controlled the print/bind and distribution. They actually have people on staff at the printers that have a stop watch from last form in to first truck out for delivery. Normally in under an hour.

They mean billions of dollars to printers and printers do what ever they say. One missed truck can mean losing an entire contract if it was a big issue like Tiger Woods this week.

Stick to your 40 paragraph replies that have no content and sit this one out. You are not even remotely experienced enough in publishing or printing to make any comment that is worth reading.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

Any device that has a Google OS platform has an advantage. No/Low OS cost and it's already compatible with every publishers plans.

So this epiphany these publishers have is to continue to use a failing business model of selling ad space on websites and being unable to get enough paid subscribers to make their business viable again. Um, Houston we have a problem.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Quote:

So this epiphany these publishers have is to continue to use a failing business model of selling ad space on websites and being unable to get enough paid subscribers to make their business viable again. Um, Houston we have a problem.

I said sit this one out otherwise you are going to look even more foolish than you do in your normal postings.

The publisher's have spent billions of dollars and the last 5 years at least planning this out.

PDF was the first execution in rudemetary forms and then partnerships in building the demo that was Flash driven not a true demo. The hands were Adobe Illustrator drawings morphed using CS5 PhotoShop.

It has grown to far more than the demo showed and will be driven by the publisher.

Put it this way. If the publisher's are wrong then Apple has no chance at a Tablet.

If they are right then Apple will ride along with every other vendor and take what ever percentage the publishers are willing to give the vendors as the music industry has. Given the model of the iTunes store not making money (or very little) it doesn't look compelling for Apple in either event.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung;

It may be a new era but pulishers learned a lot from Apple and will make sure it is platform independent media that can be accessed from both touch e-readers as well as generic browsers on every platform.

I am not sure that Apple is looking to 'control' the situation in terms of a user 'lock in' system and publisher 'lock out' system. Apple has a real advantage here - a huge use base coupled with a mature distribution system. Apple needs content and the publishers will absolutely need Apple's ready-to-go distribution infrastructure. There is not neccessarily a conflict, on the contrary. Competing devices may well play into Apples hands in terms of marketing and exposure.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    Quote:

I said sit this one out otherwise you are going to look even more foolish than you do in your normal postings.

The publisher's have spent billions of dollars and the last 5 years at least planning this out.

PDF was the first execution in rudemetary forms and then partnerships in building the demo that was Flash driven not a true demo. The hands were Adobe Illustrator drawings morphed using CS5 PhotoShop.

It has grown to far more than the demo showed and will be driven by the publisher.

Put it this way. If the publisher's are wrong then Apple has no chance at a Tablet.

If they are right then Apple will ride along with every other vendor and take what ever percentage the publishers are willing to give the vendors as the music industry has. Given the model of the iTunes store not making money (or very little) it doesn't look compelling for Apple in either event.

You can try to get me riled up you will fail. Speaking of failing, how about this proof of over a half-decade of multi-publisher SW and services development that you are touting.

BTW, I (and moat of the posters here) can name a lot of billion dollar corporations that have spent excessive amounts of money of complete failures. Even ones that had experience in the business they were competing in so you might want to temper your posts a bit until you have some proof and a valid argument as to why you think they can't fail.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am not sure that Apple is looking to 'control' the situation in terms of a user 'lock in' system and publisher 'lock out' system. Apple has a real advantage here - a huge use base coupled with a mature distribution system. Apple needs content and the publishers will absolutely need Apple's ready-to-go distribution infrastructure. There is not neccessarily a conflict, on the contrary. Competing devices may well play into Apples hands in terms of marketing and exposure.

Apple doesn't make money from the iTunes and if they do very little given the financial exposure they have to keep it running (speaking in terms of music apps).

Publishers already know it's a mess. You search for a song and get 44 apps that happen to have the same word you were looking for.

Add Digital Print to the mess that iTunes already is. Publishers don't want somebody searching for Tom Brady and getting hits for the Brady Bunch music.

If publishers want people to search for magazine content they don't want Apps, Music or any other content to come up on their hit list.

It's very simple, it's going to happen, and will Apple make iTunes a worthy distribution Model that publishers will accept. Amazon, Google & Bing (Microsoft) will and know how big this is.

Apple can be arrogant but I would guess they will play the game along with the other players.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

You can try to get me riled up you will fail. Speaking of failing, how about this proof of over a half-decade of multi-publisher SW and services development that you are touting.

BTW, I (and moat of the posters here) can name a lot of billion dollar corporations that have spent excessive amounts of money of complete failures. Even ones that had experience in the business they were competing in so you might want to temper your posts a bit until you have some proof and a valid argument as to why you think they can't fail.

It's not worth my time.

And given your postings all it takes to get you "riled up" is to disagree with you. I don't spar with unworthy competitors.

For once, do your own research or have the ties in the industry to prove me false. You of all the posters in this forum are not worth my time.

Prove me wrong, otherwise don't reply. Crystal Clear I Hope.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

It's not worth my time.

And given your postings all it takes to get you "riled up" is to disagree with you. I don't spar with unworthy competitors.

For once, do your own research or have the ties in the industry to prove me false. You of all the posters in this forum are not worth my time.

Prove me wrong, otherwise don't reply. Crystal Clear I Hope.

I for one, haven't a clue how it will all shake out. But, given your tone I think your handle should be Anus Dung.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurtisEMayle View Post

I for one, haven't a clue how it will all shake out. But, given your tone I think your handle should be Anus Dung.

"I don't spar with unworthy competitors"? Comic book guy, is that you?
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Heh.

Apple has talked to the publishers just like they talked to the cell phone companies.

And they are scared shitless.

Good luck Hearst. :loll:

ANYWAYS GUYS, the tone of this thread has gone too juvenile/negative.

But yes, I can easily imagine publishers thinking, "Oh God, we can't be the record company that refused to sell songs online...or the wireless carriers that didn't give the iPhone a chance..." The situations/industries may not be exactly the same but Apple probably has more leverage/credibility than any other tech company.

Seeing as we haven't yet seen this mythical product, I'm still unsure whether it could be a successful product. But if anyone can do it, it's Apple.