Microsoft alters settlement with EU over browser exclusivity

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It?s funny. This idea was mentioned long before the suit, including making it randomized.

Randomized would make most sense. Randomized order that they are displayed to the user I mean.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Randomized order that they are displayed to the user I mean.

But how will they determine the order randomly? By that I mean, what pseudorandom number generator will they use for this? People seem to have an idea that computers are naturally great at this sort of things because they’re good with numbers. It couldn’t be farthest from the truth.
    We’re talking about a stupid ruling and MS likely just complying to the bare minimum requirement so I would NOT be surprised if independent testing shows IE coming up more often than other browsers. At least, it’s what I’d do. Why spend all that extra time licensing the best algorithm or coding for it and having it take my install take longer when you don’t have to (rhetorical)?
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Quote:

"I don’t need Firefox because I only use the Internet, that’s why I use Internet Explorer."

Ha, I love the quote I hear so many people say regarding the iPhone...

"I don't need an iPhone, I only use my phone for making calls..."

Well duh! Thats cos your old nokia 6110 (or equivalent) can't do anything else even if you wanted it to.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:

But how will they determine the order randomly? By that I mean, what pseudorandom number generator will they use for this? People seem to have an idea that computers are naturally great at this sort of things because they’re good with numbers. It couldn’t be farthest from the truth.

A pseudo random number would be fine for the job. It's just about giving each browser equal (or near as) exposure. And pseudo random would average out fine eventually. Just seed it (the algorithm) with the time.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It isn't BS. Unlike in the US, in Europe the governments actually tend to be less influenced by lobbyists.

I told you guys the EU was out of touch.... They can't even get something as simple as corruption and abuse of power right!
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree with you. At this point, if someone can't get their act together enough to figure out "I want Firefox (or insert favorite browser here) so I am going to log on IE, download, install Firefox and set it as my default browser" they deserve whatever MSFT is giving them.

These regulators should move along already......

PS: I am not a fan on MSFT, by any stretch.

It always amazes me that people on this board assume people without a technical background should have to suffer because they don't understand how to do something the same as you do. Should a senior citizen just be stuck with the crap Microsoft serve up because they don't know any better?

I think this is an example of regulation working properly - Microsoft massively abused their position to push IE, and I like that someone is pushing back.

Quote:

But how will they determine the order randomly? By that I mean, what pseudorandom number generator will they use for this? People seem to have an idea that computers are naturally great at this sort of things because they?re good with numbers. It couldn?t be farthest from the truth.
    We?re talking about a stupid ruling and MS likely just complying to the bare minimum requirement so I would NOT be surprised if independent testing shows IE coming up more often than other browsers. At least, it?s what I?d do. Why spend all that extra time licensing the best algorithm or coding for it and having it take my install take longer when you don?t have to (rhetorical)?

You are absolutely right, in theory, there is no such thing as a computer program that can be truly random though in practice, anyone who wanted to be difficult would have a hard time demonstrating MS are being unfair, assuming they put some effort into it.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

I told you guys the EU was out of touch.... They can't even get something as simple as corruption and abuse of power right!

Oh please trust me, they can. Any democratic organisation that gains a president and new powers without a vote knows how to do corruption and abuse of power. Of course, a few people did get a vote. And if they voted wrong, they even got another go for free!
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You are absolutely right, in theory, there is no such thing as a computer program that can be truly random

Honestly that really wouldn't pose a problem for this application. I use random numbers all the time.It would be quite simple to create an algorithm that was suitably fair.

Infact here ya go without the use of pseudo random at all...

int numberOfBrowsers;

\tint seconds = [[NSDate date]timeIntervalSince1970];

\trandomBrowser = seconds % numberOfBrowsers;

Perfectly adequate IMO
  • Reply 29 of 64
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

This law suit is total BS, cause europe always had more people using firefox or opera then the US for example. Some countries (Germany I think) Had something like 50% Firefox users, so this law suit against MS is BS. At any rate at this point microsoft is becoming an underdog in just about everything except their OS and MS Office. I would say google should be the target of the next antitrust hearings, especially since they are buying up more and more ad services and dominating the market.

Quote:

"I don?t need Firefox because I only use the Internet, that?s why I use Internet Explorer."

how f..ing true

i have dozens of friends clients still on I E

some even pay twice with AOL service

The fear by millions of hitting the wrong button and losing all rheir data >> ties them to do exactly what they know . NOT one tiny extra thing

is fire fox so much better than safari ??
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:

Ha, I love the quote I hear so many people say regarding the iPhone...

"I don't need an iPhone, I only use my phone for making calls..."

Well duh! Thats cos your old nokia 6110 (or equivalent) can't do anything else even if you wanted it to.

i only want to make calls also

i don't need to pay 100 a month to shop amazon from my phone

i don't need to pay for the right to shop

i don't need to be tied down to 2 yr death contracts

countless millions never use or want to use all those confusing extra's anyway

funny how no one makes a simple powerful cell phone that never drops calls

and does only that for a cheap buy price and cheap minute price

no one yet

right now the teleco's only want to suck our money and give us little in return

for many an everything in the sun including kitchen sink swiss army knife phone is what they want or need . then buy an iphone ....
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:

Honestly that really wouldn't pose a problem for this application. I use random numbers all the time.It would be quite simple to create an algorithm that was suitably fair.

int numberOfBrowsers;

Perfectly adequate IMO

chaos demands random

the universe and all the hidden dark matter would revolt without it
  • Reply 32 of 64
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    I live in the UK and recently installed Win 7. I saw no browser ballot screen of any kind and found I had internet explorer installed. (this was a clean install)

I used it once to download Firefox and haven't touched it since. I have zero interest in being forced to see ads for Chrome, Safari, or any other minority browser.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

chaos demands random

the universe and all the hidden dark matter would revolt without it

Ah but the code has random, just not 'pseudo random'. Infact this algorithm feeds off the chaos of life itself
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i only want to make calls also

i don't need to pay 100 a month to shop amazon from my phone

i don't need to pay for the right to shop

i don't need to be tied down to 2 yr death contracts

countless millions never use or want to use all those confusing extra's anyway

funny how no one makes a simple powerful cell phone that never drops calls

and does only that for a cheap buy price and cheap minute price

no one yet

right now the teleco's only want to suck our money and give us little in return

for many an everything in the sun including kitchen sink swiss army knife phone is what they want or need . then buy an iphone ....

It may be suitable for the moment.. give it time the majority will realise they DO need the extra features. It happens every time with the introduction of new technology.

Prices reduce, culture changes.

People will find it very difficult to survive without a smartphone, more so day by day.

Though I'm sure there will be a minority of hippies who take a separate evolutionary path.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Some people still think there is no alternative to WIndows and Macs run it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Your argument falls apart at "I want Firefox". I don't think you realize how many people still don't know there is an alternative to internet explorer.

• Reply 36 of 64
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    LOL. I didn't say that. The EU does seem to be more subtle about it though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

• Reply 37 of 64
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I live in the UK and recently installed Win 7. I saw no browser ballot screen of any kind and found I had internet explorer installed. (this was a clean install).

Me too. At this rate, it won't make it into the OS until Windows 8.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:

int numberOfBrowsers;

Perfectly adequate IMO

You're right, for me (and it seems you, and no doubt most sensible people) that is more than adequate, but you can't account for morons with legal degrees.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Quote:

If that is the case then why take it to court a decade after the US did when the internet and choice was less well known among consumers than it is now. To me, this is like the RIAA trying to argue as late as 2008 that copying your CD to your computer for playing or backup, and/or changing the audio format are violations and not permitted by fair use. They are both about a decade late to the party, but at least the EU actually got somewhere.

Beats me. FWIW, we'd have gotten a lot more more competition protection out of U.S. v. Microsoft had it not been for the election of 2000.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The fundamental role of antitrust law is to prevent consumers from getting gouged by monopolies and collusive firms, not to legislate against ignorance and stupidity.

Antitrust laws are not intended to protect consumers, they are intended to protect competition. It can certainly be argued that protecting competition benefits consumers, but this is an indirect benefit, and not the purpose of the laws.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

int numberOfBrowsers;

Perfectly adequate IMO

That sounds reasonable, but as Johnson states, there are plenty of morons out there. This case in and of itself so longer it was really an issue is proof enough of that. Now IE is dangerously close to dropping below 50% compared to the other open-standards browsers, we have seen IE go from having no standards mode in IE7, to a standards mode as an option in IE8, to standards mode as the default in IE8, to MS announcing IE9 will be standards compliant with support for HTML5 and CSS (though still pooh-poohing Acid3).

The people didn?t need the EU on this one. They seem to have figured it out for themselves.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

You're right, for me (and it seems you, and no doubt most sensible people) that is more than adequate, but you can't account for morons with legal degrees.

PS: A PSA for anyone traveling this holiday season: If you use a notebook running Windows on battery power you are better off using IE if you are trying to get the most juice from your system. All the other browsers are worse, with Safari on Windows being very bad.