Tablet rumors: February production start, 10-inch LCD screen

Comments

• Reply 41 of 113
    Why no mention of TuneKit? I'm sure they'll have a similar version for books. (BooKit?)
  • Reply 42 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The fan base is not a market. The fan base is not a market. The fan base is not a market.

The only reason for Apple's break out success with the iPhone, as an Apple product, is that its a PHONE. One of the most popular types of devices, and one of the largest retail markets in the world. Larger than the PC which they've already struggled to make headway in.

They designed an excellent phone, and have sold a LOT. They will continue to. However. Apple did not create Mobile Phone Buyers, or the market they buy in. They were already there, desperately waiting for a great product to come along.

2 problems with your argument.

I would guesstimate that 95% of iPhone buyers never owned a smartphone before.

I would also guesstimate that 80% of iPhone buyers have never paid more than $99 for a phone.

There was little to no market for expensive phones with data plans prior to the iPhone.

By your same argument you assert that there is no market of tablet computer users for Apple to sell into. I would define the iPod touch as a tablet computer and there are over 40 million users out there. I would even define the iPhone as a tablet computer that also happens to make phone calls. So Apple has over 100,000,000 tablet computer users out there already.
  • Reply 43 of 113
    Quote:

The Apple tablet stands to do nothing. The "plenty of people" you refer to are the tech geeks and Apple fanbois. About 5 million people who live in the U.S. That's nothing. Its a drop in the bucket. That's exactly what Apple could count on if was an Apple Logo Turntable being released instead.

The fan base is not a market. The fan base is not a market. The fan base is not a market.

The only reason for Apple's break out success with the iPhone, as an Apple product, is that its a PHONE. One of the most popular types of devices, and one of the largest retail markets in the world. Larger than the PC which they've already struggled to make headway in.

They designed an excellent phone, and have sold a LOT. They will continue to. However. Apple did not create Mobile Phone Buyers, or the market they buy in. They were already there, desperately waiting for a great product to come along.

Where is the market for this device thats waiting for greatness to come? It's not there, And a $1000, its nothing more than a fantasy.

Apple created the music player market. And now they will create the multi-purpose reader device market.

Ray
  • Reply 44 of 113
    I'd like to find out what it does before I decide how much I'd spend to own one.

But that's just me and my silly criteria.
  • Reply 45 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

2 problems with your argument.

I would guesstimate that 95% of iPhone buyers never owned a smartphone before.

I would also guesstimate that 80% of iPhone buyers have never paid more than $99 for a phone.

There was little to no market for expensive phones with data plans prior to the iPhone.

By your same argument you assert that there is no market of tablet computer users for Apple to sell into. I would define the iPod touch as a tablet computer and there are over 40 million users out there. I would even define the iPhone as a tablet computer that also happens to make phone calls. So Apple has over 100,000,000 tablet computer users out there already.

you automatically lose for using the word "guestimate"
  • Reply 46 of 113
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Just another analyst talking. I believe it when I see it.

Yeah me too. I don't believe there's a market for 1 to 1.5 million units to be sold by Apple. That is larger the all the ebook reader manufacturers combined.
  • Reply 47 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'd like to find out what it does before I decide how much I'd spend to own one.

and the actual price
  • Reply 48 of 113
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

As psyched as I am about this long-rumored tablet, I'm certainly not looking forward to another potential monthly expense. Unless, of course, they let you add it to your existing iPhone data plan for another $10-$15/month.

That's one reason I'm tempted by the MiFi devices that are available now. A single device, with a single contract, that can share the 3G connection with any wi-fi device I chose to carry with me that day...iPod touch, laptop, Apple tablet, a friend's devices, etc. I don't have to pay a seperate fee for every device I own and may only occassionaly use on the road. And if I choose, I can leave it all at home if all I want to carry is my tiny, non-smart flip-phone (sometimes even the iPhone is too big to carry around).

If only Verizon's data plans were more reasonable. But it would be a way to get simultaneous voice and data on Verizon's network!
  • Reply 49 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

you automatically lose for using the word "guestimate"

You FAIL for spelling it wrong.
  • Reply 50 of 113
    Quote:

You FAIL for spelling it wrong.

• Reply 51 of 113
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

$1000? Really. That's much to high. It had better play flash and record at that price and not just be a book reader.

Peace.

At that price, I'd want it to cook me dinner and do my laundry, too.
  • Reply 52 of 113
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    NO WAY it will be priced at $1,000.

Just too high. Can't see many (other than the early in line campers) going for that price unless it is more than what the rumours claim it is. At 10 inches I don't see many adopting it as a "laptop" replacement. I see it more as an entertainment/educational tool. Newspapers, magazines, books, school textbooks, movies/videos, limited internet, etc… Perfect for that kind of stuff.

I say it will be closer to the $199-$399 range, depending on the subscription pricing.

The real question is how will the 3G access work? Will it be included in a subscription package? Will it be a separate service provided by mobile carriers in which case, count me out. Or will it be in line with the iPod Touch and have Wifi and sync through iTunes?

Very exciting times.
  • Reply 53 of 113
    neilmneilm Posts: 988member
    It's pointless to make pronouncements on how much we would or wouldn't pay — assuming the Apple tablet turns out to exist, which admittedly does seem likely — since none of us knows what this rumored device will do. After all, if it shits 24K gold bricks into my lap I'll happily pay $1000, no $2000, wait...

It's also a mistake to think that nobody will buy a tablet if its price is too close to that of a MacBook. There's a natural tendency to think of Apple's products in terms of price points along a straight line. But really that line looks more like branches on a tree. For instance a MacBook Air has lower performance than a MacBook, much less storage and worse battery runtime. Oh, and it costs more. So it's ridiculous to consider the Air, right? Well no, because the Air is on a light weight/compact size branch of the Apple tree. It's not for everybody, but it serves a certain need. Similarly at around $2400 total cost of ownership over a 2-year contract period my iPhone is substantially more expensive than a MacBook, many of whose capabilities it offers, albeit in much reduced measure. But they're not direct competitors in most people's minds, even though each handles email, can surf the web and so on.

If Apple does its tablet right, and I think they're smart enough to, then it won't so much be a potential MacBook competitor as a device that offers its own unique attributes. I don't know what those will be.

I do think that it will be light in weight and ultra-slim, and so there will be an uneasy balance between its abilities and the resulting battery life. It's not going to have a power-miser e-ink screen like the Kindle and Nook, so the user is probably going to have to play an active part in power management, as with the iPhone. And as it has been for the iPhone, Apple will be much criticized for this! But by having a real screen the tablet would be a usable web and multimedia device, as well as supporting the emerging electronic versions of magazines and newspapers. I imagine there will be a virtual keyboard, like the iPhone, but I hope that a wireless keyboard might be supported via Bluetooth.
  • Reply 54 of 113
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Sit down Apple Fanboys and let logic sit in.

What the hell are you going to with this device? Ebooks are the obvious but you must be smoking crack if you dont think these features will be on iphone/macs.

Ebooks, Web Surfing, Media Playback are already on devices that exist currently. Most users dont find touchscreens to be practical for true computing applications unless your an artist/graphical designer or have to be extremely mobile (car dealerships use these kinds of UMPCs in repair centers)

It most likely ISNT going to have a drive so you can cut movies out from that (sync via itunes) due to battery life.

Before you even reply to this, think about 10 reasons why you would buy this product at 1000 dollars because it will do something that hasnt been done before.

BTW, i still think this thing isnt going to be 1000 cause it will fail and miserably at that, but on a contract with a 45 dollar data package at a 499 price, it could work.
  • Reply 55 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Sit down Apple Fanboys and let logic sit in.

What the hell are you going to with this device? Ebooks are the obvious but you must be smoking crack if you dont think these features will be on iphone/macs.

Ebooks, Web Surfing, Media Playback are already on devices that exist currently. Most users dont find touchscreens to be practical for true computing applications unless your an artist/graphical designer or have to be extremely mobile (car dealerships use these kinds of UMPCs in repair centers)

It most likely ISNT going to have a drive so you can cut movies out from that (sync via itunes) due to battery life.

Before you even reply to this, think about 10 reasons why you would buy this product at 1000 dollars because it will do something that hasnt been done before.

BTW, i still think this thing isnt going to be 1000 cause it will fail and miserably at that, but on a contract with a 45 dollar data package at a 499 price, it could work.

So a rumored tablet is pointless and useless at a rumored price, which is why fan boys need to calm down, but actually not half bad at a different, speculative price?

You fixed the iTablet and schooled the fanboys in one incoherent swoop!
  • Reply 56 of 113
    rrr. I think you'd better check again. It's out, but not from Arrington.
  • Reply 57 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Myself, I prefer to become agitated and belittle Apple and its users for having the balls to possibly sell a possible device at a possible price.

Maybe we could just save time and have a thread where everybody gets to ascribe to Apple whatever boneheaded scheme they like, then rant about it.

Apple's going to make a device that does nothing whatsoever, requires a $200 a month subscription plan, is already made pointless by much cheaper Windows based devices that do even less, is smarmy, will be bought by smarmy lemmings, smarmy sheep, smarmy fan boys and smarmy posers, which is so typical of them, even though it costs $2500, which is much like being personally raped by Steve Jobs, which of course they are grateful for.

Oh, and of course the hopelessly weak-minded people who post here will be all up in arms over my self evident truths, which simply confirms everything I say.
  • Reply 58 of 113
    chanochano Posts: 51member
    One thing seems clear. The only thing Apple has been seen to do in connection with a tablet is trademarking a tablet name and, importantly, previewing a tablet device to selected major publishers. Otherwise, as far as Apple is concerned, a tablet device does not exist. All this tells me is that the 'Killer App' on this future device will be a reader app. The rest is about speculating whether it will be running Mac OSX or iPhone OSX, with all that that implies.
  • Reply 59 of 113
    Quote:

Apple did not create Mobile Phone Buyers, or the market they buy in. They were already there, desperately waiting for a great product to come along.

Where is the market for this device thats waiting for greatness to come? It's not there, And a $1000, its nothing more than a fantasy.

All the people who read books and magazines on paper are the market. But I agree a price like $1000 won't make things easy for Apple, so I expect it to be much cheaper.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davidT View Post

not many people feel they are lacking a tablet in their daily lives. most i've talked to ask me "i have a laptop and an iphone already, why would i want a third device to carry around, a computer without a keyboard but too big to put in my pocket?"

Do they ever read while they are on the go?

Quote:

3 words: multitouch, multitask, multiuse

This. If the tablet is really about those three words, I'll be buying it the moment it is released.
  • Reply 60 of 113
    chanochano Posts: 51member
    ....and another thing. It's about the form factor stupid! What does a form factor of 10" screen tell you? An in-between device spanning the 3.5" to 13" gap. A device you carry like a book or mag. More screen than a phone and optimised for e-books/mags. Possible plug in handset. Usable anywhere from bedroom to boardroom, from bus to toilet (His Steveness mentioned that) and portable enough for most, if not pocketable. In short...perfect for casual info accessing rather than computing.