Tablet rumors: February production start, 10-inch LCD screen

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don't see the problem. Isn't being "with hope" and using "hopefully" the equivalent of using the 1st-person "I hope"?

Though I suppose it's not strictly incorrect, it's certainly awkward to use the adverbial form to begin a sentence. We've recently carved out an exception for the adverbial form of "hope" which we don't do for other adverbial forms. For example, it would sound strange to say "expectantly, I will see the doctor," when we mean "I expect to see the doctor." But we've become comfortable with "hopefully, I will see the doctor," when we mean "I hope to see the doctor."
  • Reply 82 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Though I suppose it's not strictly incorrect, it's certainly awkward to use the adverbial form to begin a sentence. We've recently carved out an exception for the adverbial form of "hope" which we don't do for other adverbial forms. For example, it would sound strange to say "expectantly, I will see the doctor," when we mean "I expect to see the doctor." But we've become comfortable with "hopefully, I will see the doctor," when we mean "I hope to see the doctor."

I don?t often get upset by new word uses, so long as the meaning is understood. Language, especially English, is brilliantly beautiful because of how quickly and cleverly it evolves. But there is one word that I have not gotten used to yet; using the term ?random? when one really means ?coincidental?. I suppose it?s the other end of the same spectrum when ones uses ?ironic? when one means ?coincidence?.
  • Reply 83 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t often get upset by new word uses, so long as the meaning is understood. Language, especially English, is brilliantly beautiful because of how quickly and cleverly it evolves. But there is one word that I have not gotten used to yet; using the term ?random? when one really means ?coincidental?. I suppose it?s the other end of the same spectrum when ones uses ?ironic? when one means ?coincidence?.

I try not to get into the habit of correcting usage, but some word uses are grating if only because they are lazy. I just try not to fall into these traps myself. Another one to add to your list is "cynic" to mean "realist" or "skeptic." I've debated the differences between these concepts to no good end.
  • Reply 84 of 113
    Quote:

I try not to get into the habit of correcting usage, but some word uses are grating if only because they are lazy. I just try not to fall into these traps myself. Another one to add to your list is "cynic" to mean "realist" or "skeptic." I've debated the differences between these concepts to no good end.

I love the study of language , especially etymology and neurolinguistics. They are the only forums I have spent more at than AI over the years, but I never get into any debates on language on this forums unless the topic is already brought up. Usually by someone saying this or that is wrong, when it’s actually correct.

I’d argue that those the terms ‘cynic' and ‘skeptic' are based on perspective of an individual’s opinion and therefore can exist simultaneously.

PS: This thread is pretty dead, but I think we’ve jacked it enough.
  • Reply 85 of 113
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You can never jack a thread too much. For instance:

The "hopefully" train has left the station, but there's a blight that we can band together to stop: using "bias" as an adjective, as in "That's a bias opinion."

Absolutely makes my teeth hurt every time I encounter it. I assume it's a case of people who don't read a lot not hearing the final "ed" of "biased", which is a common sort of writing error made endemic by the internet.

For the love of God, if you're reading this and think that "bias" is acceptable as an adjective, stop. You might as well go around saying things like "It's a complicate situation" or "I am a poorly educate half-wit."
  • Reply 86 of 113
    Makes my hair hurt, and my teeth itch. But that's just me.

So what about them 10-inch displays?
  • Reply 87 of 113
    I can’t help but want to say “adjectivize" the word bias.
  • Reply 88 of 113
    Anybody notice the story on El Reg
    Quote:

The French website Nowhereelse.fr has obtained what it suggests may be a video of the long-rumored Apple table

Looks awkward to hold, but interesting demo.
  • Reply 89 of 113
    Quote:

Which was 'what' to do with this thread? 'Brilliantly' irrelevant naval gazing.

I'm disappearing up my own where the sun doesn't shine.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 90 of 113
    Quote:

This word does sound like fingernails on a blackboard whenever I hear it used, but the word is not really incorrect, it's just not a widely accepted usage in written English. Annoying as it is, a great deal more clearly grammatically incorrect usage has crept into both spoken and written English than this. One of my pet peeves is the use of "hopefully" to mean "I hope" when it actually means "with hope." This word is used more often incorrectly than correctly anymore, to the point where editors don't seem to catch it a lot of the time.

That post sounds like 'fingernails on a blackboard.'

Yeesh, have they ever thought of using you two to liven up parties? Commercials on paint drying products?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 91 of 113
    Quote:

The French website Nowhereelse.fr has obtained what it suggests may be a video of the long-rumored Apple table

I can see the Apple tablet working just like that. Seems fairly slick in use. But I expect the design to be sharper and more iconic for yet another landmark Apple product.

January is now a few weeks away and Apple tend to deliver landmark products at the start of a new year. A 10 inch screen sounds about right. Most documents are about a4 in size...and I would be a comfortable size for viewing most media be they games or movies in an 'intimate' way. It would make a nice 'netbook' that you can dock and use as a desktop with Apple's wireless truncated keyboard.

If casual computing is going to take off...this is the product to kickstart it.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 92 of 113
    If the tablet is what the Newton tried to be and then some, I definitely see potential for it, and it shouldn't hurt MacBook sales. The Newton was a concept clearly ahead of its time: handwriting recognition was in its infancy, there was no multitouch, no wireless capabilities, no GPS, etc. Hopefully this will be a "New Newton" or perhaps a "True Newton", rather than a "big iPhone or iPod", which would be a huge waste of time, money and resources for Apple. Apple essentially created new markets with the iPod and iPhone. If they do it right, they could do the same with the tablet: more than just an e-reader, more than just a movie player, more than just a game console, etc. I know that I don't want to surf the web with an iPhone or iPod touch. I did that with my Palm LifeDrive, and it's just not so nice. The screens are just too tiny. They're fine for grabbing bits of info when needed, or shooting off a quick message, or, in the case of the iPhone, talking.

A MacBook needs to be opened in order to work with (unless you have an external monitor/mouse/keyboard, which defeats the purpose of its portability). And a MacBook needs an a surface to sit on (lap, desk, table, floor, etc.). A tablet you could hold in your hand and operate on a bus, train, plane, etc. And because it would have no moving parts (no hinged screen), it would be much more durable.

I like the idea of an e-reader that would let me "turn" pages by swiping my fingers across the screen; much closer to a real book than clicking on an arrow or a dog-ear.

I like the idea of using a stylus to create drawings, sketches & artwork directly to the screen instead of the indirect method of a mouse or wacom tablet.

I like the idea of writing directly to the screen, in my own handwriting, and have the tablet "learn" and recognize my handwriting as opposed to someone else's. I'm constantly finding myself in situations where I need to jot down information, where all I have is a slip of paper that could easily get lost. And it's just too risky to carry my MacBook around with me everywhere I go, and while I don't have an iPhone or iPod touch, I can imagine that their on-screen keyboards are not as quick as my own handwriting on a piece of paper. An on-screen keyboard would be an alternative form of input, and an external keyboard would be an option as well.

Hmmm... And in terms of the handwriting recognition thing, it would be cool to have an option where it could do real-time recognition?converting handwriting to text as you write, or it would store the actual stylus strokes as "line art" to be "translated" at a later time. Perhaps even create a new kind of document format that saves the handwritten "line art" as well as the translated text file.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a new Newton, rather than a "big" iPhone/iPod touch or a "small" netbook-flavoured MacBook.
  • Reply 93 of 113
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I believe the iPad will sit next to the Apple TV as Apple's niche/hobby type product...

TV is probably 10,000 more of market than books and magazines, and yet the Apple TV is still just a hobby (let's face it, the only reason why the Apple TV is around still is because Apple has plenty of $$ available to keep a flopped product afloat).

The Kindle is a niche product because the content for the device is at a premium.. Kindle content is about convenience, not price point. Apple's iPad will be the same way. I believe the majority of consumers will not be interested in such convenience.

When the iTunes store debut, the cost of content was the same if not cheaper than the traditional CD especially when you weigh in the fact that the iTMS allowed consumers to buy most of their content individually rather than a collection (i.e., CD).

I believe the reason why the Apple TV never took off is because of the cost of the content. I often can buy entire seasons of TV shows on DVD for significantly less than what I can buy them on iTunes for. Plus I have the added benefit of sharing that content with friends and family.

If textbooks, books, and magazine aren't cheaper than their paper equivalent, the device will have a very hard time taking off...
  • Reply 94 of 113
    The new Newton? A niche product that hardly anyone will want?

All I can say is, it's a good thing some of the posters on this board are not running Apple.
  • Reply 95 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

(let's face it, the only reason why the Apple TV is around still is because Apple has plenty of $$ available to keep a flopped product afloat).

They can?t get rid of the AppleTV. It?s the last frontier of home computing. If Apple wants to maintain their dominance with digital streaming content they?ll have to fight for the living room even if it?s Pyrrhic in and of itself.

Quote:

I believe the reason why the Apple TV never took off is because of the cost of the content. I often can buy entire seasons of TV shows on DVD for significantly less than what I can buy them on iTunes for. Plus I have the added benefit of sharing that content with friends and family.

That certainly didn?t help. It did have the bonus of being convenient, like the original iTunes Music Store for songs and you could by a single show instead of the whole season, like the original iTunes Music Store for songs. The habits of people for these kinds of entertainment are completely different and buying or renting a DVR is a much better option for most people.

Movies were a completely different issue. They had so little contents, some HD and SD, some SD, some for purchase only, some for renting, some both. It was consistent even if you could find your title and that isn?t convenient for people so it looses a huge benefit of that service. Then there is the cost and lack of extras. The latter is being corrected with iTunes Extras but the former doesn?t seem likely to change.

I think Apple?s reasoning for demoing the AppleTV 6 months before it was set to launch wasn?t for our benefit so much as it was for the studios they were trying to secure. They got Disney on board, of course, but then they waited a long time for the other studios and I would wager that Apple actually had to give in to get them on board. A little too late and not the pricing they wanted. Now it?s been a couple years and TiVo, PS3, XBox 360, and a whole line of media appliances are on the market doing what Apple tried to do? and doing it better in many areas.

I think CES 2010 in january will have a lot of media appliances doing some really cool things. For instance, having your cable/sat/dvr HDMI output coming into your media appliance before going into your HDTV so that you can get cool semi-transparant overlays onscreen of weather, stocks, who is calling your Google voice number, social media, as well as typical intra- and internet streaming once expects.

I fully expect that Apple will come out with a new AppleTV next year. Likely running ARM or Atom this time, with a GPU that can push 1080p. For iTunes content it?s really the best solution.

Quote:

If textbooks, books, and magazine aren't cheaper than their paper equivalent, the device will have a very hard time taking off...

Perhaps. We?ve seen it work both ways with digital content. I think it depends how convenient the experience is. If I have to spend as much or even more for digital text books that I can?t resell but don?t have to carry around, while also having a proficient annotation app to make all the same highlights, underlines, notes on the page itself, etc. that I?d do with a physical textbook I?m sure I?d go for it.
  • Reply 96 of 113
    Quote:

If the tablet is what the Newton

No. I don't think so. 'The scribbly thing' is a footnote consigned to history.

Expect 'bigger' iPhone with some modular 'X' elements added and a bigger gesture library. Add that to a dock and a wireless Mac keyboard...and you'll have all the 'netbook' (Mac) come 'newton' you'll ever need. And I expect it to be priced 'to go.'

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 97 of 113
    Heh. It may even take off as an e-reader too...

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 98 of 113
    Quote:

They can’t get rid of the AppleTV. It’s the last frontier of home computing. If Apple wants to maintain their dominance with digital streaming content they’ll have to fight for the living room even if it’s Pyrrhic in and of itself.

I'd agree with that. The full force of the Apple TV is yet to be. They've sold a surprising amount of them. Once Apple ties Apple TV to sub' Tv content and the iPhone app store... TV ala Party Susan. And all the media you need care of the App store. Hmmm. Wonder what Apple are waiting for...

...maybe an 'iSlate' to control your Apple TV...to control your Hi-Def tv...hmm...and a data centre...that helps with streaming said content... Hmm. Looks at pieces of the puzzle. Smiles.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 99 of 113
    Quote:

The new Newton? A niche product that hardly anyone will want?

All I can say is, it's a good thing some of the posters on this board are not running Apple.

Touché, Doc. But do you disagree with the assertion that the Newton was a good idea, just a decade or so ahead of its time? Just wondering.
  • Reply 100 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

No. I don't think so. 'The scribbly thing' is a footnote consigned to history.

Hmmm... You may be right. I did a quick check, and the "Ink" feature that was available in Tiger is gone from Leopard. Granted, I didn't use the handwriting recognition feature very often, but I'd hoped that it was something they were gonna stick with and develop further. I didn't use "Ink" very often simply because I type faster than I write. But, I still think that mature handwriting recognition technology would be very well suited to a tablet. And Tiger's "Ink" feature led me to believe that Apple was moving in that direction. But its absence in Leopard (I'm still behind the times?no Snow Leopard yet), suggests they're moving in a different direction.