Foxconn reportedly tapped to manufacture next-gen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    jroyjroy Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

RFID is evil

If next iPhone has RFID I'm not buying unless there is a software option to disable it and can be proven to do so.

I believe that the proposed RFID support is for the iPhone to add the ability to read RFID chips that are embedded in other objects - not to embed and RFID chip in the phone so that others can obtain its data. That way the iPhone can easily be used as a portable terminal used by merchants to process purchases from customers who have RFID chips in their credit cards, as one example. Does that sound correct?
  • Reply 22 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamoore View Post

I'm not nearly as tech-oriented as a lot of you guys here, so I simply don't understand this. I mean, I know what RFID is, but can someone explain how this would be useful for most users out there?

RFID can be used for Near Field Communications, particularly in a contactless setting (i.e., no touching a germy keypad).

Japan has been using a NFC contactless mobile phone payment system for about five years. The Japanese refer to these RFID-enabled phones as "Osaifu-keitai" (literally "wallet phone"). It originated from a RFID-enabled smart card, which then migrated over to cellphones.

They are using it for contactless payment (you wave your cellphone over a sensor): debit/credit card (to buy stuff like groceries), event tickets, public transit passes, loyalty/club cards, airline boarding passes, etc.

The United States is woefully behind the times in terms of using your cellphone as electronic money. Even in Europe, you can pay the parking meter with your cellphone.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

RFID is evil

If next iPhone has RFID I'm not buying unless there is a software option to disable it and can be proven to do so.

Unless you know something I don't, there would only be an issue if the iPhone itself had an embedded RFID chip; the ability to read another RFID has no negative impact that I can think of.

But I'm not sure I see the practical use. RFIDs don't identify a SKU (like the EAN barcode on a book or a UPC on other products), they identify that particular copy of the SKU. So if you want to know where a particular size 6 blue shirt is in the warehouse, it's useful. Beyond that, I'm not sure of practical applications.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Swappable battery? What is this, 2004? The iPhone's battery will outlast the length of time the individual will own the device.

I'm not so sure that's accurate. In both my late 2008 MBP and in my 3G phone, I can already see battery life declining. Not everyone replaces all their equipment every two years. I kept a Mac tower for 7 years (although obviously, it didn't use a battery for power.) On the other hand, I did buy one of those accessory external batteries for the iPhone and I've only had to use it on a few occassions, but I don't currently use the phone much for activities that drain the battery rapidly.

I would feel a lot more comfortable if the battery was user removable. A seam in the case to support this or a battery that ejects from the phone like a SIM card would have more benefits than negatives. I think Apple is being unduly stubborn on this issue, although I can understand that in the case of the MBP, the "permanent" battery is much larger than the old removable battery. If this is the approach that Apple wants to take, then I think they need to have special stations in the retail stores where one can bring the machine and obtain immediate battery replacements without appointments. But even that only helps people who have close access to an Apple retail store. Luckily, I have the last MBP that has a removable battery.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

RFID can be used for Near Field Communications, particularly in a contactless setting (i.e., no touching a germy keypad).

Japan has been using a NFC contactless mobile phone payment system for about five years. The Japanese refer to these RFID-enabled phones as "Osaifu-keitai" (literally "wallet phone"). It originated from a RFID-enabled smart card, which then migrated over to cellphones.

They are using it for contactless payment (you wave your cellphone over a sensor): debit/credit card (to buy stuff like groceries), event tickets, public transit passes, loyalty/club cards, airline boarding passes, etc.

The United States is woefully behind the times in terms of using your cellphone as electronic money. Even in Europe, you can pay the parking meter with your cellphone.

Finally! Sanity.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

in NYC i can pay for a lot of parking meters with my credit card which i trust a lot more than paying with my cell phone since they already cracked the new RFID enabled passports

i prefer the old style coin meters because a lot of times someone will leave and there is time left. with the new high tech meters everyone has to pay.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-f...identification

Radio-frequency identification (RFID) is the use of an object (typically referred to as an RFID tag) applied to or incorporated into a product, animal, or person for the purpose of identification and tracking using radio waves. Some tags can be read from several meters away and beyond the line of sight of the reader.

He did say he knew what it was, his question was what's going to be the use of it? I have the same question and will add that it is fraught with security/financial implications if the intention is to be used like a payment vehicle. It's too easy for someone to capture your information from a distance with that type of device.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

4- slide out keyboard!!

A virtual keyboard is a game-changer. Its incredible that you don't get that.

But then, some phone makers still don't get it either.

I'am waiting on a pre-paid version of the iPhone with an (iChat) camera on the front and an HD movie/photo camera on the back. This (the front camera) will be the next game-changer.

J.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Personally, I'm a bit worried that we have rumours of manufacturing and testing without any more rumours of PA Semi chips.

It's starting to seem like the next iPhone will be just another 3Gs, or 3Gs plus or something rather than the revolutionary redesign many have hoped for.

well what is there to need a redesign. the form factor can't really change much unless Apple recants and goes sidekick with a physical keyboard. LTE won't really be widespread enough to be of any use yet. so really more storage, faster processor and better batteries are the only major points they could do anything with.

I suspect that this is NOT the year for super phone changes. I think it will be the 3 tweaks and unlocking service for all GSM happy carriers. I suspect that nothing is going to be new and huge will be released in Feb/Mar despite rumors, but around then will be the announcement. of what? the tablet. ipod, ereader, netbook rolled into one. with a front facing camera for chatting, ability to use all those iphone/touch apps in new scaled up versions (no need to rebuy). wifi connections. built in unlocked dual cell chip so you can add the optional service to your current cell phone whether it is att, t-mobile or even the dreaded verizon. announce early spring, release with the mildly upgraded phone in june/july.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    Quote:

i agree, many of us are hoping for

1- 5+ megapixel camera - HD video capability to record

2- flash for camera

3- swappable battery

4- slide out keyboard!!

--------

and non-ATT service those of us in usa.

also, as for manufacturing in Taiwan, its a great idea. at least it is democratic there and the workers are better labor with more income and rights.

Why wait, buy a Droid.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Quote:

Not that i don't love the products, but they make baby steps

the history of technology is filled with companies that tried to fly before they learned to crawl and they crashed and burned. either the prices were too high or the product was too buggy and took ages to fix anything much less all of it.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRoy View Post

I believe that the proposed RFID support is for the iPhone to add the ability to read RFID chips that are embedded in other objects - not to embed and RFID chip in the phone so that others can obtain its data. That way the iPhone can easily be used as a portable terminal used by merchants to process purchases from customers who have RFID chips in their credit cards, as one example. Does that sound correct?

in Japan it is common for cell phones to have RFID chips built in. Such chips are then used by credit card companies to identify a user at a check out counter.

As to why RFIDS are considered bad that is another issue all together. I suspect it is safe to say the problem is paranoid behaviour. Let's face it you can and are tracked by your cell phone now. Maybe somebody from the other side of the fence can offer up a better explanation, but right now I don't see a problem.

Dave
  • Reply 32 of 79
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Beyond that, I'm not sure of practical applications.

The practical applications are essentially anyplace you currently use your credit card. And there are already a ton of examples of similar payment systems in use all over the US. Do you have a swipe key fob to pay for your gas at the pump? Or to pay for your fast food? Maybe you have a device mounted on your car's windshield to pay your tolls without stopping (although admittedly not a good candidate for an iPhone-based chip).

Everyone wanted device convergence, and this is just another "device", your credit card, being merged into your cell phone.

Security is another matter. Not sure how they handle that in places (Japan, Europe) where they already have this capability.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

He did say he knew what it was, his question was what's going to be the use of it? I have the same question and will add that it is fraught with security/financial implications if the intention is to be used like a payment vehicle. It's too easy for someone to capture your information from a distance with that type of device.

As opposed to what? Credit cards, debit cards or cash. It isn't any harder than capuring somebodies PAiN and debit card numbers off of a compromised ATM. The reality is crooks will always find a way. What you seem to mis though is that this most likely won't be a simple RFID chip that sends back a serial number in the clear. First near field communications is used, which right there limits the ability to pick up data. Second it is likely that techniques would be used to validate the transaction.

The other problem here is that you will not get banks in the USA to buy in without significant security. Here the banks are on the hook for fraud so the will want security that is as good or better than current systems. It would be foolish to assume that the RFID would be sending back a identifier in the clear.

Dave
  • Reply 34 of 79
    I currently have the an iPhone 3G that is eligible for upgrade June 2010.

I do not want a removable battery or slide out keyboard. Yuck. I would like to see a better battery. An improved camera and I really want more storage. At least 64gb. I want to be able to put my entire music collection on my phone and retire my ipod.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    I'm hopeful the 3.1 model number indicates that this is a major rev to the iPhone. Hopefully not a compact model but a bigger smarter smart phone. I'm actually holding tight with the 3G I have in the hopes that this is a major rev.

To that end the following would be nice to see in the unit.
    1. A PA SEMI dual core processor. Dual core with respect to user programs.

2. 512MB of RAM.

3. Doubling of Flash storage across the models.

4. Newer higher performance GPU. Ideally doubling graphics performance.

5. That new GPU needs to support OpenCL.

6. OpenCL means support for GCD which would work nice with dual cores.

7. Actually enable "n" networking.

8. The unit will come with an additional MECHANICAL push button. What I'm looking at here is a shutter release switch which the camera program needs dearly. Of all the things that the iPhone does poorly via the Touch screen the Touch screen as shutter release is the worst.

9. Video support. As part of the camera it is important but first they need to work on stills quality. Especially low light.

10. AM/FM and weather radios. It is a feature that really needs to coverge on Apples Touch devices. I'd extend that to shortwave as an option.

11. TV reception. Not the mobile kind either but rather digital braodcast TV.

12. Antenna input. Some of the above would work much better with such a feature.

13. Multitasking for the user. More RAM and dual core ought to make that a snap.

14. Voice command / dictation as part of the OS.

15. Louder speakers / ring tones.

16. Temperature and pressure transducers. So that local weather conditions can be monitored.

• Reply 36 of 79
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Swappable battery? What is this, 2004? The iPhone's battery will outlast the length of time the individual will own the device. And there are already accessories to boost battery power should the person need it.

it might outlast that, but it cant even outlast a day of usage... you shouldnt have to buy an added peripheral to boost abysmal battery life, either improve it or make it swappable.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

it might outlast that, but it cant even outlast a day of usage... you shouldnt have to buy an added peripheral to boost abysmal battery life, either improve it or make it swappable.

No worse than any other phone that does what the iPhone does and is capable of. Deal with the iPhone on its own terms. Let's work with what we have *now*. Demand a better battery, yes, but leave the old swappable battery paradigm where it belongs: in the past.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:

No worse than any other phone that does what the iPhone does and is capable of. Deal with the iPhone on its own terms. Let's work with what we have *now*. Demand a better battery, yes, but leave the old swappable battery paradigm where it belongs: in the past.

Unless you know of some real breakthrough advancements in the battery industry that i dont know of, the only way currently is through better chips/programming and a beefier battery. The option should ALWAYS be there for a hotswappable battery, cell phones demand you to be mobile, if you need to be tethered with a power cord constantly then some serious improvements need to come out or just do the obvious, make them swappable.

Besides, swapping batteries is not that archaic like you would make it seem lol.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As opposed to what? Credit cards, debit cards or cash. It isn't any harder than capuring somebodies PAiN and debit card numbers off of a compromised ATM. The reality is crooks will always find a way. What you seem to mis though is that this most likely won't be a simple RFID chip that sends back a serial number in the clear. First near field communications is used, which right there limits the ability to pick up data. Second it is likely that techniques would be used to validate the transaction.

The other problem here is that you will not get banks in the USA to buy in without significant security. Here the banks are on the hook for fraud so the will want security that is as good or better than current systems. It would be foolish to assume that the RFID would be sending back a identifier in the clear.

Dave

A compromised ATM is much more difficult to attain than a snooper listen on the 2.5GHz RFID frequency at a gas station or some other area of frequent use. Besides that, it's not like there is support all over the place for this type of payment system. I still don't trust that type of payment system at this point.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I think people are still basing their expectations of cell phones on the old model of lots of style with little substance. Before the broader adoption of touch screen smart phone functionality that the iPhone ushered in, cell phone "innovation" was largely about case design, which goes stale quickly. Witness the rise and fall of the Razr.

But in the age of handset as small computer, does that make any sense? Why should we expect or want any kind of radical reworking of the iPhone? Consider the laptop-- what has changed in the decade plus that these devices have been broadly available? Smaller, lighter, cheaper, brighter screens, more powerful, gradually evolving connectivity, but the basic design remains unchanged.

The iPhone will get more powerful, have more memory, the screen tech will improve, connectivity will evolve, battery life will lengthen, the camera will improve. Who knows, Apple may add more colors.

But none of that "refreshes" the iPhone in the old sense of stimulating ADD gear hounds by sticking fins on the thing. It's a minimal slate that takes its character from the software it's running, and that's where the serious innovations are going to be. Anyone who is disappointed because the next iPhone looks pretty much like the current iPhone isn't grasping what the iPhone is.