Apple said to be looking into reported iTunes 9 iPod sync issues

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
After various claims of iTunes 9 sync causing crashes and other issues with some iPods, Apple is reportedly looking into the matter for a potential fix.

AppleInsider first reported sync issues between the iPod classic and iTunes 9 in September, soon after the software's release. At the time, users experienced a number of issues, including the iPod crashing when a sync is attempted.

In addition, some readers said their iPod classic was ejecting itself, or not being recognized by iTunes altogether. Numerous threads on the Apple Support forums (1, 2, 3, 4) have grown since the issues first arose. Various potential fixes were reported among some users, but none seemed to resolve the problems for all who experienced them.

Now, according to Electricpic.co.uk, Apple has confirmed that they are "aware of the issue and are investigating." Previously, Apple had offered no comment.

The report claims that issues have extended beyond the iPod classic and also affect the iPod nano. Previous-generation iPod nanos were said to sync slowly, or crash and return an error message.

iTunes 9 was released alongside an iPod refresh in early September. The update to the media suite added improved home sharing, a redesigned iTunes Store with cleaner layout, and automatically created Genius Mixes.

The new iPod lineup introduced in September included a 160GB iPod classic for $249. The higher-capacity hard drive-based model carries the same thin profile as its 120GB predecessor. The fifth-generation iPod nano also added the ability to record video and squeezed an FM receiver into its tiny frame.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    I just got a iPod classic 160 gig and occasionally while connecting to multiple libraries, I get a message saying the iPod is corrupted. Usually I just eject and try again and it works. Perhaps this will be addressed in the new update.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I've synched my 160GB iPod classic and my 5th gen Nano numerous times with iTunes 9 and have had no problems whatsoever.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    My 2G shuffle has been having a hard time updating- I keep having to restore from zero. I just thought it was Apple trying to get me to buy the new one.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Both I, and friends of mine, have had syncing issues with the 2G shuffle.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has confirmed that they are "aware of the issue and are investigating." Previously, Apple had offered no comment.

Of course they are aware of it, they did on purpose to kill of iPod Classic sales.

The iPod Classis is the red-headed stepchild of the iPod family.

Its days are numbered.
  • Reply 6 of 44
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    my 30gb 5g iPod has been flakey lately during sync...i even brought it in to Apple, but their diagnostics tool coudn't load/read it to see if it had any issues and they didn't know what to do about the sync issues i've had.... all they offered was 10% recycle. So it's iTunes 9....hrrrmph!!

• Reply 7 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

My 2G shuffle has been having a hard time updating- I keep having to restore from zero. I just thought it was Apple trying to get me to buy the new one.

I highly doubt that its a conspiracy plot, and just poorly written un-checked code. (This is also @ Mozzarella) I've never liked iTunes because it felt too bloated. There are alternatives out there that will still sync with iPods.

Second: Add the shuffle to the list of Apple products you own. Judging by how many you do own, I figure you would likely run out and buy a new shuffle anyway (then come here and complain about it.) I'm glad it didn't get to that point. I suggest you find a different media player next time you need one.
  • Reply 8 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I highly doubt that its a conspiracy plot, and just poorly written un-checked code.

Right because Apple would never deliberately abandon its customers (Power PC users), they want you to buy an iTouch.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    I've been having issues syncing my 1G touch. The sync takes forever, long enough that it appears to have hung. Eventually it does seem finish, if I haven't already lost my patience and cancelled the sync. This process used to be fast. I'm not sure whether to attribute this to iTunes 9.0 or the 3.x touch upgrade, I only know it's changed for the worse.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I just got a iPod classic 160 gig and occasionally while connecting to multiple libraries, I get a message saying the iPod is corrupted. Usually I just eject and try again and it works. Perhaps this will be addressed in the new update.

Sometimes I get a message that my iPhone can't be synced, I unplug and connect again and it works. It's an unfortunate workaround, but at least it's quick and simple.

One thing I've heard more complaints about is iTunes not properly syncing smart playlists with podcasts in them. It loses my chosen sorting and as a result, syncs the wrong items. All this worked fine with iTunes 8 series.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Second: Add the shuffle to the list of Apple products you own. Judging by how many you do own, I figure you would likely run out and buy a new shuffle anyway (then come here and complain about it.) I'm glad it didn't get to that point. I suggest you find a different media player next time you need one.

Wrong- I would never buy that piece of crap-ever. One of the worse designed products ever released in the history of Apple. So you loose -I suggest you take your suggestions somewhere else.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    iTunes- the bloatware which needs an update every month.
  • Reply 13 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Of course they are aware of it, they did on purpose to kill of iPod Classic sales.

The iPod Classis is the red-headed stepchild of the iPod family.

Its days are numbered.

Proof? Sources? The iPod Classic fills a niche for Apple and destroying that on purpose or otherwise is completely baseless. Seeing as how they just updated the line says your theory is way off.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Right because Apple would never deliberately abandon its customers (Power PC users), they want you to buy an iTouch.

If you own an iTouch then you are having issues because that is not an Apple product. Apple sells the iPod Touch and people who call it an iTouch either do not know anything about Apple or bought it because they thought the commercial was cute.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    I've had nonstop issues with my 2nd gen nano. I have to quit iTunes and restart it.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

I've had nonstop issues with my 2nd gen nano. I have to quit iTunes and restart it.

Planned obsolescence?
  • Reply 16 of 44
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I'm really happy to still be using iTunes 8.2. I tried iTunes 9 for about a week, then went back (it can be hard to go back once the iTunes Library file has been updated, unless you have a copy of the old Library file).

I still get the old iTunes Store format, with a shopping cart and everything. I can buy things without getting cookies added to Safari (or the process failing because I have cookies turned off). It works for me because I don't use the App store or buy or rent videos, some of which you need iTunes 9 for.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    What sync issues?
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

What sync issues?

The whole kitchen.
  • Reply 19 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Planned obsolescence?

The Gospel according to Judas.
  • Reply 20 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

They definitely did abandon their PPC users! They want every one to buy the new Intels. Mac lifetime till obsolete is now at the standard PC 3 years instead of the old Apple 5. (Those that bought the Core Duo 32bit machines are now at risk)

Anyhow, the day apple abandons the iPod Classic or other older iPods, is the day they remove it from their code. They may not actively be updating that portion of code, but they haven't removed it yet.

As for the iTouch... I won't be as harsh as others. If people want to be really picky, then no one should use MBP, PPC, C2D, MB, OS X (with out the version number or Mac in front), Mac instead of Macintosh, etc... I know what you meant.