Apple CEO Steve Jobs named finalist for Time Person of the Year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

What the hell those choices are awful! It must be quite bad for anyone to be alongside those choices...

Then again, not many heroes appeared in this first decade...

It's not about heros, as someone already mentioned. It's about having a big impact on the biggest news of the year. (Which why Adolph Hitler was Man of the Year...1935, I think. Certainly not because he did anything good.)

Overall, that is a pretty weak list of finalists. Almost as if they were stacking the deck so people wouldn't second guess their pick of Obama like everyone does about the Peace Prize.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Appleinsider didn't list all the candidates.

After reading the article, I'm betting 50/50 between Obama and Iranian Protesters. Still multicultural, and pro-Isreal to boot.

I didn't even stop to realize that wasn't the whole list. I was thinking myself that the Iranian president was a better candidate for the Man of the Year that most on that list. Not because he did anything good, but because of his impact on world events. But Time seems to shy away from selecting "bad" people as Man of the Year anymore, so selecting the Iranian Protesters would be the "good" side of their president's impact on events.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    n/m. I get to read more completely.
  • Reply 24 of 56
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    I like good'ol Stevie and all but the award surely goes to the Chinese worker, without whom the iPhone would cost $1299USD (post subsidy), the iMac $6000 USD, and the MacBook Pro 17" $9000 USD.

Three cheers for the Chinese labor-slaves:

Hip-Hip Hurrah

Hip-Hip Hurrah

Hip-Hip Hurrah

I mean, in all honestly, if they made the short list then they should win.

Sorry, I am stepping down from my rampant consumerism rant soapbox.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

It's not even going to be close, SJ has no chance. I bet $5 says the cover is already designed with Obama on the front...

I wouldn't rule him out just yet...he's got big Al in his corner. These things have become politically correct beauty contests anyway. They're purportedly about the most influential person of the past year. Which, in turn, depends on your preconceived notions of what's important in the first place. Here's one that'll make people here go ballistic: Sarah Palin. Seriously. Like her or not, the whole health debate did a 180 when she wrote two sentences on her blog no matter whether you agreed or not with what she wrote. Her book sold 2 million. She's the most hated and admired...talk about mirrors, influence and lightening rods. But...Time wouldn't give her the Time of day....okay...go ahead...fire away
  • Reply 26 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I would point out that Time's Man of the Year isn't "who's your hero," It is the person who epitomizes the biggest news of the year. Frankly, using that criteria none of those finalists if a good choice. The American Worker (i.e., the economy) was the biggest story by far. With Tiger's affairs a close second apparently

I would also point out that Time has no standard method for choosing the "Man of the Year". There aren't even required qualifications for those judging this "contest". Considering also Time's historically poor journalistic reputation, the "soup of the day" at your favorite restaurant is a more meaningful accomplishment.

Remember... real information doesn't come with color glossy photos.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasein View Post

I wouldn't rule him out just yet...he's got big Al in his corner. These things have become politically correct beauty contests anyway.

Hey now, beauty contests aren't easy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WALIARHHLII
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Some people are certainly suffering from a bad case of talk radio poisoning. Time's criteria for the selection:

Quote:

Each year, since 1927, TIME editors select the person, or persons, who most influenced our world?for better or worse?over the past year.

That's it. Obama was name Person of the Year in 2008. Only one other person in the history of the Time recognition has ever won it two years in a row (Richard Nixon, in 1971 and 1972), and he shared the second one with Henry Kissinger. So Person of the Year is hardly a lock for Obama in 2009, and it's certainly not about some weirdly imagined political correctness.
  • Reply 29 of 56
    politicians should never be on this goddamn list. they just cannot be anything of the year!
  • Reply 30 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1938. Mysteriously, I cannot find the Time article on Hitler winning Man Of The Year anywhere on the internet. If anyone knows of it, please post a link.

http://www.time.com/time/subscriber/...ries/1938.html
  • Reply 31 of 56
    He won't get it this year.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Quote:

1938. Mysteriously, I cannot find the Time article on Hitler winning Man Of The Year anywhere on the internet. If anyone knows of it, please post a link. Was it written negatively, positively, or neutral? Remember, this was before we were at war, and well before THE HOLOCAUST.

Anyways, "certainly not because he did anything good"? How about a complete turn-around of the German economy, restoration of Germany's pride and self-worth after an embarrassing defeat in WW1 with crippling reparations followed by a depression that made ours look like winning the lottery), a re-unification of German (people's) lands, an amazing Olympics in '36 (which the Germans decidedly won overall, despite the only caption you hear is how Jesse Owens won in track and Hitler didn't wave to him... which is a lie), the Autobahn, amazing advancements in science (where did Einstein come from anyways?), animal rights, the list can go on and on for the good things he did but they are always ignored due to THE HALLOCAUST! 1 small country; so great of power in so little time when they were properly led. He DID do some good things.

Wow. Are you a neo-nazi or do you just fail to read anyone else's posts?
  • Reply 33 of 56
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    It would be strange if Jobs is man of the year when Droid is gadget of the year.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,083member
    Quote:

Anyways, "certainly not because he did anything good"? How about a complete turn-around of the German economy, restoration of Germany's pride and self-worth after an embarrassing defeat in WW1 with crippling reparations followed by a depression that made ours look like winning the lottery), a re-unification of German (people's) lands, an amazing Olympics in '36 (which the Germans decidedly won overall, despite the only caption you hear is how Jesse Owens won in track and Hitler didn't wave to him... which is a lie), the Autobahn, amazing advancements in science (where did Einstein come from anyways?), animal rights, the list can go on and on for the good things he did but they are always ignored due to THE HALLOCAUST! 1 small country; so great of power in so little time when they were properly led. He DID do some good things.

1965, Star Trek Original Series, Season 2, Episode 22, - "Patteren of Force" was based on this very idea.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    I'm kinda surprised that Ballmer and his Tongue didn't make the list.

What with science finding the missing link earlier this year....
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Quote:

He DID do some good things.

The only GOOD thing that came out of Nazi Germany was the resolve to never allow anything like it to ever happen again.

That said, did Time ever retract their naming of Hitler as Man of the Year? If they haven't, their credibility still suffers, and if I were any of the finalists I'd decline the nomination.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    The list of Time Persons of the Year is well-worth exploring. Many are or were heroes - some villains - some unexpected - but all deemed to have significant influence on the world as it was in their day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Pe...ns_of_the_Year

A humility check - Bill and Melinda Gates got there first!
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Really doesn't matter who gets on the cover of a magazine. It's just a "wow" factor to get people to buy more magazines. The money spent on that magazine would be better spent being donated to a charity. Done.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Really doesn't matter who gets on the cover of a magazine. It's just a "wow" factor to get people to buy more magazines. The money spent on that magazine would be better spent being donated to a charity. Done.

It is all done to sell more magazines. Since this comes out the first week of January 2010 I have wonder if Jobs does make it to #1 that it does in fact mean that a tablet with a digital subscription service was designed by and setup by Apple. If he doesn?t get it is that also indicative?
  • Reply 40 of 56
    i wish it were jobs but probably obama or the iran protests

i love obama too