Apple CEO Steve Jobs named finalist for Time Person of the Year

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I wish I could take half the year off for sickness and still get named guy of the year. He's great and all that, but he shouldn't win in this year.

Wait, you need to take half a year off AND make sure your company still posts record profits and steadily increasing marketshare THEN you could be named Person of the Y.... oh wait. Neva mind!

• Reply 42 of 56
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Agreed. Anyone that can win the Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing can certainly win Time's Person of the Year award

and for doing it in only 10 days as President.

Nobel nominations end 30 January. Anything after that does not count.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    There's a few points to highlight about CEOs:

- The CEO's position is not a lifetime appointment, but a temporary assignment;

- The Board of directors gives the CEO a mission to accomplish stated goals after which the CEO is expected to resign, retire, or be fired, so that someone else is given the opportunity to bring a fresh perspective and new ideas to the position;

- Change is essential for the survival and development of any corporation. Any attempt to block change should be condemned.

The cult of Jobs is contrary to good management and wise policy. It only serves to reinforce a belief that, without Steve Jobs, Apple cannot survive. It portrays Steve Jobs, a high school graduate, as an expert in everything and the sole reason why Apple has survived so far.

The cult of Jobs would have you believe that Steve Jobs is the only person working at Apple, the only source of inspiration and the only person who deserves any merit.

The cult of Jobs is to be condemned for the good of Apple and the expansion of the Mac world market share.

For anyone who needs background info on Steve Jobs, see the 2008 Fortune Magazine Editorial "The trouble with Steve Jobs" @ http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/02/news...tune/index.htm

\\\
  • Reply 44 of 56
    The "cult of Jobs" lives in the minds of people who invent it, but not anywhere else of any importance. Some of us have followed Apple long enough and closely enough to know what has been accomplished, and how it was done. Nobody with any actual knowledge believes that Steve Jobs carried Apple entirely on his back, but we do know that before Steve Jobs returned, the company utterly lacked focus and the ability to release products that more than a tiny minority of the public cared about. The board wasn't the solution, they were part of the problem. A big part. In the real world, leadership makes a difference.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Broads... Were I SJ, I'd protest.

P.S. The quote from Time's review, posted as part of app description in AppStore, is enough for that an app is no more considered, whatever functionality.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent View Post

My choice is between Jobs and the "Chinese worker," since the two are inextricably linked.

I think the former owes much more to the latter, than the other way round
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

1938. Mysteriously, I cannot find the Time article on Hitler winning Man Of The Year anywhere on the internet. If anyone knows of it, please post a link. Was it written negatively, positively, or neutral? Remember, this was before we were at war, and well before THE HOLOCAUST.

Anyways, "certainly not because he did anything good"? How about a complete turn-around of the German economy, restoration of Germany's pride and self-worth after an embarrassing defeat in WW1 with crippling reparations followed by a depression that made ours look like winning the lottery), a re-unification of German (people's) lands, an amazing Olympics in '36 (which the Germans decidedly won overall, despite the only caption you hear is how Jesse Owens won in track and Hitler didn't wave to him... which is a lie), the Autobahn, amazing advancements in science (where did Einstein come from anyways?), animal rights, the list can go on and on for the good things he did but they are always ignored due to THE HALLOCAUST! 1 small country; so great of power in so little time when they were properly led. He DID do some good things.

1938 - that was after the Munich conference ... You are an idiot ... You did not need to justify Hitler in any way because Time Person Of The Year is about anyone who - for better or for worse - made the news that year.

As far as 2009 goes, Lloyd Blankfein or 'Sir' Fred The Shred may well have made the list. In fact, I would have elected both of them - they were equally guilty for the crisis, but one of them survived miraculously and even gained in megalomania as a result, while the other failed from grace so spectacularly ... Just shows how unfair, corrupt and ruthless life is. And Bernie Madoff is my third preferred candidate, by the way. There was nothing good about 2009 and the choice of the Person Of The Year must reflect that. But what can you expect from a society nurturing only its childish naivete and make-belief rather than a critical mind?

And Obama? I think it's time to stop talking about that PR artist. Let him do something first ...
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

This will only reinforce the cult of Jobs and comfort him in his delusional belief that he is the only person who deserves any credit for what has been accomplished by Apple.

Try to convince him to leave after that or tell him that he doesn't deserve illegal stock options to the extent of over a billion dollars for mismanaging Apple in the way he did, reflecting his high school degree qualifications for the jobs of CEO and President of Apple, inc. Try that, if you can.

uhh okay, what was the state of apple before his return? that's what i thought.

someone named bill gates dropped out of college as well.

exactly how is apple mismanaged? they are debt-free and their cash reserves continue to grow. when was the last quarter when apple lost money?

he co-founded the damn company, it doesn't matter if he doesn't have a degree, as far as i'm concerned he has every right to be a part of the company in some way until the day he dies.

a lot of times all a college degree means is that you are willing to spend $100,000 and sit through some classes. great salespeople, managers, and CEOs are often born that way, not trained.

if his stock options were illegal, the SEC's recent investigation into apple would have revealed that.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Nobel nominations end 30 January. Anything after that does not count.

Nominations were 10 days after he became president, but the decision came after that, and I don't see any reason they can't continue to consider those facts in their decision. It seems like it would have been pure prudence to get his nomination in early.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Nobel nominations end 30 January.

Fortunately, it only took him one day to take a clear stand against both torture and illegal wiretapping, direct government agencies to comply with freedom of information requests, and announce a timetable for closing Gitmo. He's made some excellent decisions since then, too.

But he won this award last year, so I'm voting for Jobs.

As for new competition from Palm and Google, I'd say that only shows how important the iPhone has been in leading the way toward new opportunities.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    It's Ben.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

It's Ben.

Franklin? A little late, don't you think?
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Funny how the "popular" vote ranked him 1st and now? Not even a PEEP. Those flaks ranked Jon and Kate Gosselin over him. Shows how "indepth" the magazine really is. If it isn't infotainment, it doesn't sell.....

sigh.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

There's a few points to highlight about CEOs:

- The CEO's position is not a lifetime appointment, but a temporary assignment;

- The Board of directors gives the CEO a mission to accomplish stated goals after which the CEO is expected to resign, retire, or be fired, so that someone else is given the opportunity to bring a fresh perspective and new ideas to the position;

- Change is essential for the survival and development of any corporation. Any attempt to block change should be condemned.

The cult of Jobs is contrary to good management and wise policy. It only serves to reinforce a belief that, without Steve Jobs, Apple cannot survive. It portrays Steve Jobs, a high school graduate, as an expert in everything and the sole reason why Apple has survived so far.

The cult of Jobs would have you believe that Steve Jobs is the only person working at Apple, the only source of inspiration and the only person who deserves any merit.

The cult of Jobs is to be condemned for the good of Apple and the expansion of the Mac world market share.

For anyone who needs background info on Steve Jobs, see the 2008 Fortune Magazine Editorial "The trouble with Steve Jobs" @ http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/02/news...tune/index.htm

\\\

I have not been commenting on this site for a long time now, since my usual troll wannabe extremeskater has behaved himself and understood the process of using factual data and rational opinions. Now I see another person is taking his place.

CEO position depends on him delivering on his set objectives on year by year basis and if CEO is increasing the company net worth, keeping shareholders happy and improving the company brand/image globally, then no Board of Directors in their right mind is going to terminate his position, since he has delivered on his objectives and why spoilt a good run.

There are no hard and fast rules for keeping an CEO and the length of time, as long as that person is intelligent to understand market changes, adapts to his environment and keep producing financial and brand image success, then why would you want him to leave.

As for the high school qualifications dig, really are you that bitter at SJ that you have a college degree and worth probably at most a 3 bedroom house with car and he has the 9 figure worth in his wallet.

put back in your claws, there are showing
  • Reply 55 of 56
    chiachia Posts: 714member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

1938. Mysteriously, I cannot find the Time article on Hitler winning Man Of The Year anywhere on the internet. If anyone knows of it, please post a link. Was it written negatively, positively, or neutral? Remember, this was before we were at war, and well before THE HOLOCAUST.

Anyways, "certainly not because he did anything good"? How about a complete turn-around of the German economy, restoration of Germany's pride and self-worth after an embarrassing defeat in WW1 with crippling reparations followed by a depression that made ours look like winning the lottery), a re-unification of German (people's) lands, an amazing Olympics in '36 (which the Germans decidedly won overall, despite the only caption you hear is how Jesse Owens won in track and Hitler didn't wave to him... which is a lie), the Autobahn, amazing advancements in science (where did Einstein come from anyways?), animal rights, the list can go on and on for the good things he did but they are always ignored due to THE HALLOCAUST! 1 small country; so great of power in so little time when they were properly led. He DID do some good things.

Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable. Those "achievements" were at the price of the persecution, enslavement and death of millions. They didn't experience the "good side" of his regime.

It seems you're quite an admirer of Hitler.

Be thankful that thousands of Americans died fighting his despicable regime for your freedom to admire him.

What next from you?

Are you going to start praising Bin Laden for creating new opportunities for downtown New York real estate and military contracts?