Fall Mac shipments up 21%, sales of 3M projected for quarter

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
New retail sales data shows that Mac sales were up 21 percent year-over-year in the months of October and November, positioning Apple for a potentially strong December to close out 2009.

New data from the NPD Group was acquired by analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray. In a note to investors issued Monday afternoon, Munster said he still believes that Mac sales for the quarter will be between 2.9 million and 3 million. But, he said, much can change because roughly 50 percent of all Mac sales for the quarter occur in the month of December.

November was the first full month of sales for the new Macs, which debuted in October. Desktop Mac sales alone were up 74 percent year over year in October and November, while portable Macs saw a 5 percent increase.

"While it remains early, it appears the new iMacs are driving Mac sales in the Dec. quarter," Munster said, "and we are incrementally more confident in slight unit upside in the Dec. quarter."

If Mac sales hold strong, Apple could be looking at yet another record quarter for sales. In the September frame, the company sold 3.05 million Macs, helping its profits rise to $1.67 billion. That was a 17 percent year-over-year increase in sales.

NPD data also shows that iPod sales for October and November are down 11 percent year-over-year. That would place overall sales for the quarter at between 19 million and 20 million. Again here, Munster notes that it is too early to call, as more than half of all iPods sold in the quarter are during the month of December.

Piper Jaffray has maintained its overweight rating for AAPL stock, with a price target of $277.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Another increase for November?

I am waiting for a disciple from the school of Teckstudian Logic to explain to all us minions how this could be possible since Windows 7 has already been out and they are still selling machines with non-matte screens?

But.. but... if only Apple did <insert wannabe know-it-all remark here> then they would really do well!

</sarcasm>

Go Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Another increase for November?

I am waiting for a disciple from the school of Teckstudian Logic to explain to all us minions how this could be possible since Windows 7 has already been out and they are still selling machines with non-matte screens?

But.. but... if only Apple did <insert wannabe know-it-all remark here> then they would really do well!

</sarcasm>

Go Apple!

Funny, you spent 3/4 of your post trolling for a response form someone you say you don't want to hear from. What a hacker.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Funny you spend 100% of your post off topic. Congratulations!

TTP: If Apple is doing this in a "bad" economy. They will be smashing heads when we the people get some money.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Wow! Tough crowd on this thread. Let’s just enjoy it until Teckstud returns from his ban later today and then be grateful that Extremeskater still has another day on his ban..

My calculations for Q1-2010 is 3.12M Macs sold.
    Q4-2008 — 2.61M (White MB starts at $1,099, Al MB doesn’t exist yet; 21% increase YoY from Q4-2007) *

Q1-2009 — 2.52M (White MB starts at $999 [$100 drop], Al MB starts at $1,299; 09% increase YoY from Q1-2008) **

Q4-2009 — 3.05M (White MB starts at $999 with new case, Al MBP starts at $1,199 [$100 drop]; 17% increase YoY from Q4-2008)
    With new MB and iMacs that just came out, new lower priced MBPs over last year, SL on Macs, a recession that is over is some regards and, actually, Windows7 helping spur the PC market in general the way the iPhone helped smartphone sales in general will all help Apple do a 25% increase in YoY unit sales, hence selling 3.12M units.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

TTP: If Apple is doing this in a "bad" economy. They will be smashing heads when we the people get some money.

Indeed, I'm dying to see Apple's numbers when we get out of this downturn.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    well, I bought two iMacs (a new i5 and a refurbished 24) so that should help
  • Reply 7 of 21
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Funny you spend 100% of your post off topic. Congratulations!

Maybe or maybe not. It might simply be that the Mac market was relatively immune to the downturn. When the upturn comes, the Mac market may continue chugging happily along, slowly but steadily gaining. It might not smash heads, as such. Increases that outstrip industry average are good enough for me
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halse View Post

well, I bought two iMacs (a new i5 and a refurbished 24) so that should help

Guess you could say, I did my part too. I bought a 24" iMac earlier this year and an new iTouch about a month ago. The iTouch previously, was bought when they first came out. Last on the list which is my Christmas present to myself, a new Macbook Pro. WOOHOO!!
  • Reply 9 of 21
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It'll be 3.2 million Macs sold. High demand for the iMac is helping out. Most of the gains will come from outside of the US. Mainly Europe but with some uptick in Asia.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    I bought my sister a 13-inch MBP and MobileMe on Black Friday. Couldn't be happier.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Bought a 24" 2.93GHz iMac in June when my early-2008 15" 2.44 GHz MacBook Pro had to be sent in for repairs to one of its fans.

Bought a 32GB iPod Touch a few weeks ago because I'd had to wait too long (2 months) for an iPhone.

I'd be an early adopter the iPhone 4G, if it comes with enough new awesomeness. But that Nexus One sure does look interesting, unless newer information shows it to have discouraging downsides.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I dunno. I'd be surprised if they take off THAT much. I'd love them to, of course, but I think the people most inclined to buy Macs are those that are more likely to be less affected by this downturn. Which isn't to say rich people, mind you; some decidedly middle-class people just aren't being affected by it as much as others.

Like me, for instance. The economy is in the shitter, but I haven't felt it at all. I got myself completely out of debt for the first time in my life a year ago, I just bought a MacBook Pro in February (bad timing, but I love it anyway) — and I plan to buy a new desktop in the spring.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post

I bought my sister a 13-inch MBP and MobileMe on Black Friday. Couldn't be happier.

If you're visiting an Apple Store, Black Friday ain't over, but you have to ask! They won't volunteer this, so you have to ask if they'll match the best price currently being offered on the web. Most likely they'll say yes because it's the holidays, with the store manager's approval. You can use one of the demo units on the floor to pull up the Mac Pricing Guide (updated daily) on the AI web site's home page, then link to MacMall, Mac Connection or whoever has the lowest price for the unit you want. I walked out of the store on Dec. 10 with a 27-inch iMac Dual Core for $170 less than suggested retail. And don't forget the printer - most Apple Stores are stocking a couple different HP and Canon models with limited time rebates up to $100. You can even register for your rebate online, on the spot. No forms to fill out and mail in. Neat, eh?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Wow! Tough crowd on this thread. Let’s just enjoy it until Teckstud returns from his ban later today and then be grateful that Extremeskater still has another day on his ban..

My calculations for Q1-2010 is 3.12M Macs sold.
    Q4-2008 — 2.61M (White MB starts at $1,099, Al MB doesn’t exist yet; 21% increase YoY from Q4-2007) *

Q1-2009 — 2.52M (White MB starts at $999 [$100 drop], Al MB starts at $1,299; 09% increase YoY from Q1-2008) **

Q4-2009 — 3.05M (White MB starts at $999 with new case, Al MBP starts at $1,199 [$100 drop]; 17% increase YoY from Q4-2008)
    With new MB and iMacs that just came out, new lower priced MBPs over last year, SL on Macs, a recession that is over is some regards and, actually, Windows7 helping spur the PC market in general the way the iPhone helped smartphone sales in general will all help Apple do a 25% increase in YoY unit sales, hence selling 3.12M units.

Not even close. My research says it's just a hair over 3.121 Million.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Not even close. My research says it's just a hair over 3.121 Million.

Put down the Kool-Aid and get realistic for once. Sheesh. You’re always so bullish on Apple’s sales there is no way it will go that high.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Quote:

Put down the Kool-Aid and get realistic for once. Sheesh. You’re always so bullish on Apple’s sales there is no way it will go that high.

Time for you two to put your money where your mouths are. I'll be happy to hold your wagers.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Time for you two to put your money where your mouths are. I'll be happy to hold your wagers.

I have in the stock market. The beauty of it is, my estimates don?t have pan out for me to win.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

I have in the stock market. The beauty of it is, my estimates don?t have pan out for me to win.

Agreed. AAPL gains in the last 12 months paid for my new iMac and lots more besides (presuming the price doesn't tank before I sell!).
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

The question is of course whether she is happier. But from your post I assume you're still 'testing' the stuff for her

Bas
  • Reply 20 of 21
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

all those young kiddies reaching that ponderous age of owning a computer will drive sales far far forward into the future they will even talk daddy into going all mac house holds .

And Asia andEurope somehow finally << get it << and have been mac crazy lately .

Every road APPLE is on is streaming all head full speed .. sometimes i think

pinch me

to see if i am dreaming ?

could any company do so good for so long ??

my dick tracey video nano phone wrist watch is ringing

gotta go