Apple named 'Brand of the Decade' by Adweek

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Apple Fixes Rush Limbaugh's Mac After He Complains On-Air

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/apple...ns-on-air.html

Quote from Story

"Conservative talk-show host Rush Limbaugh was having problems with his Mac. A program called Time Machine wasn't restoring his emails properly and repeated calls to Apple Support were fruitless. Based on complaints in online forums, he wasn't the only one either. So finally he complained about it on-air and that caught Apple's attention enough to assign an engineer to go fix it (the guy had to delete the "null mail folder" and rebuild it in the internal directory with the terminal command). That's the power of leveraging your voice . But you don't need to have your own radio show, just deploy some of the technique that we deSscribed in "The Ultimate Consumerist Guide to Fighting Back" or in our interview with Ron Burley to get real customer satisfaction."

That is one satisfied user. Glad he's on Apple's side! You can have him. Thank You for pointing this out. I never would have guessed.

I would also suspect that Sarah Palin is a Mac user. You betchya.

I was simply trying to say one nice thing about Limbaugh. Keep up the good trolling.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Well those were pretty easy choices for the decade, no?

I mean here are the biggest product launches that changed how I use technology:

1. iPod, before I had a CD player, now everyone has an iPod.

2. Intel Transition, before I used a PC, now I use both via parallels.

3. Time Machine, before I never backed up, now I do regularly.

4. Time capsule, before I had to connect to back up, now its wireless.

5. Google, before I used yahoo!

6. Gmail, before I used yahoo mail

7. Google maps, before I could not see my house.

8. Google Translate, before translation did not work.

9. Ipod Touch / iPhone, I don;t know how I lived before those.

10. Youtube, Google Earth, Google Docks, Blogger, Android, DNS, 700mhz Freequency freedom, net nuetrality and much more.

Everything that improved tech world seems to have been released or bought and improved on by those two companies. If I never interacted with windows at work or school I would not even remember it existed...

As a side note there are only 3 other things off the top of my head that are worth of mention: Hulu, twitter and facebook, but those were pretty minuscule compared to Apple and Google.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

7. Google maps, before I could not see my house.

How about the flat screen tv's. Helped me move more easily. My 60" projection was a whole separate trip!!
  • Reply 24 of 48
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

Hate to burst your bubble but ...

Good thing this forum has an ignore list. Good bye, Angus.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Kudos to Phil and the marketing dept.

I'm shocked by the Nike+ award.

Wow. Wow. Wow. I just said last night evetytime there is a defect OUT COME THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE REPORTS. Could they be More transpirant.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Does this decade begin on 1999 Dec 31 or 2001 January 1st

Teckstud you can chime in now..... OH wait.... you're banned LOL
  • Reply 27 of 48
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Hate to burst your bubble but for 2009 - Most Talked-About Brand: Microsoft

http://www.adweek.com/aw/content_dis...1055465bee5683

If you're talking current and relevant information then Microsoft has it.

Same survey that this article is about.

It's all about "what have you done for me lately". Microsoft seems to have it for 2009...

...Bloggers often used terms such as ?easy,? ?efficient? and ?better? in their online discussions about Microsoft, said Zeta Interactive CEO Al DiGuido."

The problem for Microsoft is that it's only for a small part (less than half) of 2009 that it got such comments, and the "better" comments were comparisons with "terrible" Vista. The rest of 2009, plus all of 2008 and 2007, were full of "Why is Vista so bad?" comments. Overall, Microsoft certainly had a lot of online discussion during the last decade, but most of it was bad - including all the anti-trust lawsuits filed against it.

Think of it this way - Michael jackson was the most talked-about person in the world a few months ago - was that good for him? And right now, Tiger Woods is the most talked-about person in the world - I don't think you'd call that good for him, either.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Reasonable nomination.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The problem for Microsoft is that it's only for a small part (less than half) of 2009 that it got such comments, and the "better" comments were comparisons with "terrible" Vista. The rest of 2009, plus all of 2008 and 2007, were full of "Why is Vista so bad?" comments. Overall, Microsoft certainly had a lot of online discussion during the last decade, but most of it was bad - including all the anti-trust lawsuits filed against it.

Think of it this way - Michael jackson was the most talked-about person in the world a few months ago - was that good for him? And right now, Tiger Woods is the most talked-about person in the world - I don't think you'd call that good for him, either.

Well, with such attitude you can turn anything around. For example, having best advertising - well, every recent dictator in the world had one. Heck, Hitler and his mob had bloody effective advertising against Jews. One could ask should that be considered good just based on being effective?

But no matter how we turn it, bottom line is - Apple's advertising sells. And being talked about will help MS image, even if talking about is saying how 7 is better than "horrible" Vista.

Apple needs to keep momentum, and it seems "Get a Mac" ads are managing to do that, even if I personally don't like them much, plus find them sort of too repetitive.

MS needs being talked about in positive way (rather than being talked about only in "Get a Mac" commercials), and it seems they have managed to do that... for 2009. Will they be able to keep their momentum in following years, well, we will discuss that same time next year.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Well, idiots that on average, occupy a demographic that tends to have more education, professional training, and more disposable income. If Paul Thurrott is any authority, and to many MS fans '"Mr. Windows" is quite an authority, then my sig also lends some credence to the high probability that among the average computer-using population (and you don't need to be tech-savvy to be a successful individual) Mac users tend to be the most informed.

In fact, the lemmings out there tend to be Windows users - the likes of which we've seen in the Laptop Hunter ads. MS painted its own demographic in the most uncomplimentary way! MS tends to run on inertia and ignorance, which in turn tends to produce the arcetypal frustrated Windows user, with Macs being the "smarter" alternative.

In any case, the Mac-using demographic tends to appear different (on however many levels) than the Windows-using one.

we own 91 percent of the $1000 plus computer buying crowd crowd

which is all i need to know

ps off topic

it seems nice around here lately

they even deleted all his posts

a rare complete wipe

i wonder how one horse google could beat out apple 
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Well deserved, since they've done so well even during the recession. I hope quality doesn't dip as a result. I still don't approve of the ads, proof of their effectiveness is hard to come by.

Google should win it next year... so many ads these days telling me about the Droid and Chrome 4.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Media Company of the Decade

Digital Company of the Decade

Goes to...

GOOGLE!

http://www.bestofthe2000s.com/media-...he-decade.html

And toothpaste of the decade goes to Colgate.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    istudistud Posts: 193member
    Quote:

Maybe not, but it does to the demographics that Apple is targeting.

O gosh! You are really thick! A retort that only hits yourself!
  • Reply 34 of 48
    DOWN WITH AT&T!!!!

Iphone USERS, HELP BRING AT&T'S NETWORK TO ITS KNEES THIS FRIDAY AT 12:00pm PST... IF YOU HAVE AN iPhone RUN THE MOST DATA INTENSIVE APP YOU HAVE OVER THE 3G NETWORK FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN... REMEMBER, ITS THIS FRIDAY AT 12:00pm PST, 3:00pm EASTERN

HELP SPREAD THE WORD!

( I am not a troll, I am just trying to spread the word)
  • Reply 35 of 48
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Thoroughly deserved. Apple's marketing during the Steve 2.0 era has been outstanding.

Is teckstud gone? Oh deep joy.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Meanwhile in the UK Apple cleaned up on last night's Gadget show.

http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/gadge...-the-decade-is

It's all down hill from now on.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:

Maybe not, but it does to the demographics that Apple is targeting.

I am guessing that angus young is teckstud. even if you're not mate, watch your step - teckstud just went a little too far and got band. wouldn't want the same thing to happen to you.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Well, with such attitude you can turn anything around. For example, having best advertising - well, every recent dictator in the world had one. Heck, Hitler and his mob

mate tone down the nazi parallels. just remember Godwin's law and we can keep our forums at a higher standard. the other contributor had a point. Most talked about is a neutral term - not talked about in a good or bad way.

Cheers
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samanjj View Post

Most talked about is a neutral term - not talked about in a good or bad way.

The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about. (Oscar Wilde)

Apple has certainly perfected the art of being positively talked about, which becomes remarkable when you consider how completely negative the Apple buzz was ten years ago. I've been trying to think of a company that turned their mindshare around so completely, but can't come up with a single one which compares.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Again, read your own article:

Love him (as his "dittohead" fans do) or hate him (as every liberal does), no radio host or personality comes close to Rush Limbaugh in size of audience or volume of political discourse. The man manages to stay in the headlines no matter who's in the White House or who's gunning for him.

In that respect their choice makes perfect sense.

I truly like your posts. You're very fair. (People who dismiss Rush as some 'big fat idiot' don't really get it).