Patent suit takes aim at Apple's iTunes, MobileMe, QuickTime

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

Being a judicially-friendly host to a particular group of people is nothing new. Delaware has basically made a business out of playing host to publicly-traded corporations because of their corporate-friendly legislature and business-savy chancellory court.

Right, but the odd part about this is that these are federal cases brought before federal judges, all appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. So every time an opening comes up in this district the sitting President (of either party) decides "oh, time for another one of those whacky Marshall-style appointees, where's my list?" Obviously I'm missing something, but I don't get how this persists. Perhaps it's just a couple of particular judges who happen to be in that district and until they retire Marshall is the place to go to file your patent claims.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Patent filers should have a relatively short time to actually do something with a patent before it expires. These "ideas" were patented in 1992 and 1993. The strategy is simple patent a fuzzy concept and wait for it to be implemented industry-wide by large companies that actually do something and attempt to cash in for an undeserved payday. It's extortion and not only should their suit fail, they should go to jail.

No doubt somebody has already filed patents on the holodeck, replicator, and transporter.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

No you are an idiot.

This could cause deaths through the inability to call emergency/911 lines.

Actually, you're wrong about that. How Do you think you're able to make emergency calls when either your SIM card is removed, or when you don't have a signal? Networks have dedicated towers that handle emergency calls. If you don't hve a signal from your carrier, then the emergency call is handed off to another network. Watch who you call an idiot, Bud.

Do some research before you accuse me of some BS you made up.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenkman91 View Post

no, I am not. Go to Fake Steve Jobs blog page and read the article about the iPhone choke hold. If you are an iPhone user like me, then you must be annoyed (or have been in some point in time) about At&t's horrible service.

I don't understand why you have to use harsh language. I am just trying to spread the word. All of us iPhone users need to do this Friday.

Have nothing but Praise for AT&T ...

3G speed is great , No Droped Calls , Service is there whenever I need it.

If you have problems with AT&T call them, WE cant fix your problems..

But you are a troll , Posting this in a thread that has nothing to do with your post.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

And what exactly is this going to achieve? I won't be participating because where I am at, there are NO issues. AT&T is very strong down here (Houston) and have great data speeds, reliable signal and am 100% happy.

The purpose is to show AT&T that we are not happy with the service they provide. AT&T has $8 billion to improve the network. What are they waiting for? I'm an iPhone user, I love my phone, it's the best phone I ever had. It pissed me off when I pay AT&T X amount each month for bad service. I fell that this is the only way to show AT&T that we are not happy with the service they provide.

If you don't have any problems in Houston then don't participate. Nobody is forcing you. It's really aimed for people who are not happy with AT&T
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Patent filers should have a relatively short time to actually do something with a patent before it expires. These "ideas" were patented in 1992 and 1993. The strategy is simple patent a fuzzy concept and wait for it to be implemented industry-wide by large companies that actually do something and attempt to cash in for an undeserved payday. It's extortion and not only should their suit fail, they should go to jail.

No doubt somebody has already filed patents on the holodeck, replicator, and transporter.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

no, I am not. Go to Fake Steve Jobs blog page and read the article about the iPhone choke hold. If you are an iPhone user like me, then you must be annoyed (or have been in some point in time) about At&t's horrible service.

I don't understand why you have to use harsh language. I am just trying to spread the word. All of us iPhone users need to do this Friday.

You and that loser Fake Jobs can go bleep yourselves.

AND NO, 9/11 PROVED YOUR STUPID WE HAVE CAPACITY JUST FOR 911 CALLS BS. YOU ARE ADDED TO MY IGNORE LIST.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

@jerkman91

If you were standing right in front of me and SHOUTED the crap you've posted here (ALL CAPS!), I would knock your block off, you vacuous troll. If you don't like the iPhone/ATT connection, don't use it. What you're advocating here is childish, puerile, pathetic, and whinerific. (Is that language clean enough for you?)

Go haunt some other site with your "campagin alert," jerkman. (Why not try a Million Man March on DC next time?)

and if I was in your shoes, I would do the exact same thing. The whole caps lock thing was so people like you can read it. You read it, right? You obviously did. If you didn't read then you would not be responding to my post. I thank you for taking the time out of your day to read it. I do not consider myself a troll. It's okay for you to think I am a troll. Everybody can have an opinion. That's what makes America great. . I really do appreciate you using clean language. (No sarcasm). It's not really a campagin. I'm just trying to get as many iPhone users as we can together and show AT&T that we are not happy with the service they provide. They tell us they are spening $8 billion dollars to improve the network. Over the past years, nothing has changed. AT&T does not deserve the iPhone. They still don't realize that Apple saved At&t's butt. If it was not for the iPhone, AT&T would be a dim memory.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

You and that loser Fake Jobs can go bleep yourselves.

AND NO, 9/11 PROVED YOUR STUPID WE HAVE CAPACITY JUST FOR 911 CALLS BS. YOU ARE ADDED TO MY IGNORE LIST.

Dude, do you understand that 9/11 was over 8 years ago? We want to cripple one network. Not every network in the country. Cell technology has greatly improved since 9/11. Do a little research before you bring 9/11 into this.

Welcome to 2009.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:

Welcome to 2009.

Welcome to the ignore list, troll.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Sorry to post something relevant to the topic, but I did a little research and it turns out that "US District Court Eastern District of Texas - Marshall Division" translates into two, count 'em two, federal judges. One was appointed by Clinton in 1999 the other by Bush in 2002. I don't know which has the reputation for being friendly to these types of cases, maybe both of them are. Presumably when one of them retires we will see an immediate change in filing behavior, with people bringing suit in whatever random court has these types of judges.

These are the two judges that serve the Marshall District:

http://www.txed.uscourts.gov/Judges/Davis/Davis.htm

http://www.txed.uscourts.gov/Judges/Ward/Ward.htm
  • Reply 32 of 48
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Marshal District just needs to be shut down and incinerated.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I had given the flagrantly offtopic offender a bit of a timeout, and cleaned up the thread of the offending posts and direct replies.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    Actually wikipedia seems to point at the juries and a law allowing any attorney that passed the bar in any state, as the reason for all these patent cases in Marshall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...trict_of_Texas

But then the judges must some hand in it too.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Fair enough.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Actually wikipedia seems to point at the juries and a law allowing any attorney that passed the bar in any state, as the reason for all these patent cases in Marshall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...trict_of_Texas

But then the judges must some hand in it too.

Also from that Wiki link: "the district has a set of local rules for patent cases and relatively fast trial settings"

If this is a federal court, why on earth would they have different rules than every other federal court?
  • Reply 37 of 48
    "U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia recently dismissed Marshall as a "renegade jurisdiction" that unfairly favors litigious patent holders." ("Court Marshall High-stakes patent lawsuits surge in small East Texas town" Austin American Statesman, April 16, 2006")

I have to ask if it is believed by one of the Justices of the Supreme Court that this is a "renegade jurisdiction" why in the name of justice is the place still allowed to operate like a loose cannon on deck? I have to also ask where is the appeals court for this region parking its brain?

it is a pity that the False Claims Act (also known as the Lincoln Law) can't be used to shut down this financial gravy train. Having hundreds of concerned US citizens suing this district on behalf of the Federal Government in their own districts would force somebody to do something about this court's flaky behavior.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple and 17 other companies were named in a new lawsuit filed this week over two patents related to accessing computer software from remote systems.

What a joke, ever seen an IBM green screen 3270 terminal? or a Tektronix Graphics terminal dating from the '70s. Somebody needs to get a life.

The next thing will be claiming against the inventor of the Newtonian telescope, trouble is he died several hundred years ago.

Patents are for physical ideas, not software, IMHO
  • Reply 39 of 48
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

When all the lawyer have to show up where do they stay, in some motel 8 or the next major town.

What we all do not realize this is part of this towns tourist plan, since they can not get people to come spend money on their own, they made it easy to file lawsuits and then high priced lawyer come and spend money at the local establishments. It is a job program for the town.

I thought the Bush Administration was against frivolous lawsuit, I guess that does not apply in his own home state.

Patent infringement cases are tried in federal courts and heard by federal judges not state judges. Federal judges are appointed and not elected. Feel free to correct me, but I believe most of the federal judges in that district are Clinton appointees.

Still in all, that doesn't mean there isn't a need to revamp the U.S. Patent system. I'm thinking increase the burden of proof on the plaintiff during the pre-trial phase to weed out the frivolity. Also making the plaintiff pay court costs & lawyer fees for both parties if they bring a "bonehead"

suit might also help.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

Actually, moving your lawsuit to Marshall says a lot about the deal. It seems that Marshall has set it self up as a place that favors the one suing. Time and again, they find for the patent holder no matter how stupid and how much prior art exists.

That is why companies with weak cases go there vs locally.

Just a thought. PS I live near Marshall, and its a pretty hick town.

en

sorry for the double post. Internet is glitchy today :-)

I have relatives in the Tyler & Marshall area and their internet service pretty much sucks a majority of the time. No problem with me on the double post. I understand your problem very well.