Psystar lawyer claims company not shutting down permanently

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

It's obvious what's going on here.

Pystar has chosen this path in selling clones and fighting in court as a publicity campaign to develop a client list for it's Rebel EFI product.

Having one lawyer say "Pystar is closing" then another say "No it's not" is giving any potential client a warning that Pystar is about to go undercover, get on board now.

As you know Rebel EFI needs updates to continue to work with future versions of OS X and with PC's, so a covert client list is needed as these people will have to buy the updates so they can sell OS X clones.

Psytar won't be able to advertise their product in the future, thus giving away their location to Apple.

So Apple has smacked this Pystar mole, but now it's morphed into a zillion pieces and become even more dangerous.

By 'a zillion pieces' I assume you mean 'a few hundred Hackintosh enthusiasts who are willing to endure chronic OS update roadblocks and other productivity-draining hassles'. Anyone looking for an alternative to Apple's hardware has an entire galaxy of cheap PC hardware available and this thing called 'Linux' (maybe you've heard of it?) that also happens to be free, as in beer. It's user base is not known for spending a lot of money, unfortunately. But if you're talking instead about the Darwin users who still want that Mac look-and-feel, well, after nearly a decade of existence I don't see their minimal numbers supporting any sort of viable business that has Apple as a legal adversary.

So if the Psystar people really think they have a profitable business plan that relies on a tiny and parsimonious customer base, endless legal troubles, no hope for a working support structure, and zero marketing, hey, I want in on that money-maker!

Quote:

Apple is making mistakes.

1: Not tying OS X to Apple hardware.

You might want to rephrase that. OS X is tied to Apple hardware. Always has been.

Quote:

2: Ignoring the low end of the PC market

You're listing this as a mistake? Do we really need to rehash this failed argument?

Quote:

3: Thinking the law is going to protect their sales.

Again, you're listing this as a mistake? It seems like the law is protecting their sales. I invite you to come up with evidence to the contrary.

Quote:

The results are clear.

You just keep telling yourself that...
  • Reply 22 of 122
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    The court's order does indeed include the Rebel EFI, but not explicitly. If Psystar tries to sell it, they will be in trouble with the court as well as Apple.

As for following the money, we're talking about Miami. I lived there when Castro took over Cuba and we were inundated with Cubans. In the late 50s and early 60s they were all upper middle class and well-to-do doctors, lawyers and such, whose property had been confiscated by the Communists. They weren't boat people. Lots of lawyers meant lots of lawsuits, and that quickly spread to the general population. I later worked as an insurance rater for an automobile insurance company that had to leave the state because of losses in Miami. In Miami, and only Miami, nearly every automobile accident ended up in court, because everyone's brother-in-law's stepson's cousin was a lawyer. This added court fees and damages to the insurance payouts, which didn't happen elsewhere in the state. The result was that auto insurance costs were astronomical in Miami.

I don't think you need to follow the money. It's Miami. That's enough to explain it right there.
  • Reply 23 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

There is competition it is called Dell, HP, Sony, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, ...

Oh come on, are you serious? If an average consumer wants a system that can run Mac OSX, arguably the best operating system available, how many choices do they have for hardware?

I get the feeling most people blindly hate Psystar because "it's the cool thing to do", and blindly support Apple because they have yet to realize that behind the veil it's just a cold, heartless money-hungry company like any other.
  • Reply 24 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

By 'a zillion pieces' I assume you mean 'a few hundred Hackintosh enthusiasts who are willing to endure chronic OS update roadblocks and other productivity-draining hassles'.

The Hackintosh community doesn't really need Rebel EFI and I'm sure it numbers in the thousands.

Rebel EFI is being licensed to Mac cloners, since Pystar isn't allowed to do it themselves on their hardware, at least not in this country.

Quote:

Anyone looking for an alternative to Apple's hardware has an entire galaxy of cheap PC hardware available and this thing called 'Linux' (maybe you've heard of it?) that also happens to be free, as in beer. It's user base is not known for spending a lot of money, unfortunately.

Actually Dell sells a Mini 10 with Ubuntu Linux and it's selling quite well actually, 10% netbook market share is now Linux.

And I use Ubuntu now in VM Fusion, getting to like it too.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://ubuntuforums.org/

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html

Since my future needs doesn't seem to require the power of a MacBook Pro, just a glorified netbook without needing anti-virus, I'm seriously considering getting one.

There is even a program that can access iPods and manage one's music...

And what's really nice, the pocket guide shows how easy it is to install Ubuntu in a Bootcamp created partition instead of Windows.

Quote:

But if you're talking instead about the Darwin users who still want that Mac look-and-feel, well, after nearly a decade of existence I don't see their minimal numbers supporting any sort of viable business that has Apple as a legal adversary.

So if the Psystar people really think they have a profitable business plan that relies on a tiny and parsimonious customer base, endless legal troubles, no hope for a working support structure, and zero marketing, hey, I want in on that money-maker!

Not so tiny if you consider the numbers in China.

Quote:

You might want to rephrase that. OS X is tied to Apple hardware. Always has been.

That was the case when OS X was on PPC processors, now Apple uses Intel processors like PC's use.

OS X is only tied to Apple hardware legally, and you see with Pystar and the dozens of other cloners around the world how much credit that is given.

Quote:

You're listing this as a mistake? Do we really need to rehash this failed argument?

Yes I know the low end's margins are not great, but Apple does command the low end of the portable music market and why? Because it threatens iTunes and the higher margin iPod products.

Mac cloners threaten the low end of Mac sales, once people see and get used to OS X (and all the good programs) running on any PC. It's a no brainer.

Quote:

Again, you're listing this as a mistake? It seems like the law is protecting their sales. I invite you to come up with evidence to the contrary.

Laws only work for companies operating upfront. Laws are different and some not even enforced in other countries. Some are simply ignored by companies themselves.

For instance China, Apple is selling tons of iPhones (with WiFi) for the black market when the Chinese government wants Apple selling Wifi-less iPhones.

So Apple is basically breaking Chinese law, by allowing it to occur.

Heck I've seen Chinese nationals buying dozens of iPhones in American based Apple Stores with Bank of China credit cards.

So it's stupid of Apple to just assume that OS X won't be pirated to run on PC's and their terms of use or whatever really has any backbone what so ever.

If Apple really didn't want OS X run on anything but their hardware, they would have made it so with a REAL hardware tie in. To the point that OS X couldn't be profitably run on PC's without a huge investment in rewriting of the code.

But since Mac's are now just Intel PC's like all other computers, even sporting a SD slot, running Windows and even Linux, there is no reason with OS X the vise versa should occur.

But again, with most people's needs just being the web, email and office type software. Netbooks are going to rule and other computers will be sidelined as specialty devices.
  • Reply 25 of 122
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I don't know if you have them in the US but the lawyer may be talking about a "Phoenix company"

Strip the assets and start again with a $2 shelf company that is a different legal entity to Psystar.

The name is R A T S Y S P spelled backwards ... , just saying
  • Reply 26 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The name is R A T S Y S P spelled backwards ... , just saying

Rat system programmer?

A hangout for disgruntled ex-Apple coders?
  • Reply 27 of 122
    THIS JUST IN!!!! Nobody cares about Psytar going out of business.

What would I like to know is how can a company (which stop selling systems) some time ago, manage to continue to pay for these lawyers? Who's really funding them?

Also how can psytar claim to sell EFI (but its out of stock) on its website, not to mention their sold out of a computer download how does that happen?

I hope Apple pounds them even further into the ground and uses them as an example to the Hackintosh community. " MESS WITH THE BEST, DIE LIKE THE REST"
  • Reply 28 of 122
    Quote:

So Apple has smacked this Pystar mole, but now it's morphed into a zillion pieces and become even more dangerous.

Apple is making mistakes.

1: Not tying OS X to Apple hardware.

2: Ignoring the low end of the PC market

3: Thinking the law is going to protect their sales.

The results are clear.

Let me answer this blasphemy statement towards APPLE

Apple is making mistakes. (APPLE RARELY MAKES MISTAKES AND WHEN THEY DO THEY CORRECT THEM IN A APPLE WAY)

1: Not tying OS X to Apple hardware. ( They actually do )

2: Ignoring the low end of the PC market. ( Ignoring for a Great Reason, the low end PC market are just a bunch of Wal-Mart minded consumers, wanting A MAC PRO for the price of a MACBOOK, I'm glad Apple ignores these people and as STEVE told a reporter during the 2007 Apple event " WE DON'T SHIP JUNK, IT'S NOT IN OUR DNA TO SELL PRODUCTS WE WOULDN'T RECOMMEND TO OUR LOVED ONES")

3: Thinking the law is going to protect their sales. ( The law does protect those who are doing right and Apple is doing right so the Law protects them )

The results are clear........... APPLE IS RIGHT... NEW ARGUMENT PLEASE (If you can)
  • Reply 29 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Madcapper View Post

I get the feeling most people blindly hate Psystar because "it's the cool thing to do", and blindly support Apple because they have yet to realize that behind the veil it's just a cold, heartless money-hungry company like any other.

I think its naturally the cool thing to do, when another company is profiting off the backs of the most innovative company in history. Their is no blind hatred when your illegally distributing another companies product without its written consent.

Not to mention Blatantly (In a blasphemy way) doing it and not ashamed of it.

All the energies they put into their illegal activities (of scheming past Apple) could have been put into thinking of an idea that innovates and contributes to the industry (instead of taking a page from microsoft and others).

Apple is NOT a cold heartless company either. They are a business and every business needs what it sees as a fair profit for creating life changing devices and software that it distributes. Apple cares about the consumer and focuses on them for the sake of improving the way we fall in love and do with our devices.

I'm sure glad you don't use Apple products, since you clearly say their nothing but a "cold, heartless money-hungry company like any other." Which is NOT TRUE.

Please make a better argument (if you can)
  • Reply 30 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Madcapper View Post

Oh come on, are you serious? If an average consumer wants a system that can run Mac OSX, arguably the best operating system available, how many choices do they have for hardware?

One, which is the way Apple does business, like it or not. If the "average consumer" wants a Honda, how many choices do they have? One, which is the way Honda does business, like it or not. That doesn't mean they can't also buy a Toyota.

Quote:

Oh, sure. You've put your finger right on it.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

One, which is the way Apple does business, like it or not. If the "average consumer" wants a Honda, how many choices do they have? One, which is the way Honda does business, like it or not.

Acura == Honda
  • Reply 32 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Acura == Honda

And your point?
  • Reply 33 of 122
    Quote:

And your point?

Was just a fun fact that you have two choices with Honda... at least in the states since honda is all honda in japan. Wasn't arguing a point.
  • Reply 34 of 122
    Quote:

Was just a fun fact that you have two choices with Honda... at least in the states since honda is all honda in japan. Wasn't arguing a point.

Then you could just as well say you've got about ten choices from Apple, since they sell about that many Mac models altogether. That's all Acura is -- another Honda model. To the subject, I've never understood where anyone gets the idea that it's normal for a company to deliberately compete with itself, which is exactly what some think Apple ought to be doing. It's a pretty weird concept.
  • Reply 35 of 122
    Quote:

Oh, sure. You've put your finger right on it.

... and as MacTripper has so eloquently articulated, "it's a no brainer."
  • Reply 36 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panu View Post

The court's order does indeed include the Rebel EFI, but not explicitly. If Psystar tries to sell it, they will be in trouble with the court as well as Apple.

As for following the money, we're talking about Miami. I lived there when Castro took over Cuba and we were inundated with Cubans. In the late 50s and early 60s they were all upper middle class and well-to-do doctors, lawyers and such, whose property had been confiscated by the Communists. They weren't boat people. Lots of lawyers meant lots of lawsuits, and that quickly spread to the general population. I later worked as an insurance rater for an automobile insurance company that had to leave the state because of losses in Miami. In Miami, and only Miami, nearly every automobile accident ended up in court, because everyone's brother-in-law's stepson's cousin was a lawyer. This added court fees and damages to the insurance payouts, which didn't happen elsewhere in the state. The result was that auto insurance costs were astronomical in Miami.

I don't think you need to follow the money. It's Miami. That's enough to explain it right there.

The problem is that those people (assuming minimum age of 25) would be likely be retired even when Psystar was starting up (2008) so that effectively eliminates them from being a major money source. Besides if it was that easy to get a lawyer why after they lost the first one did Psystar have to get one from Texas--especially one whose only real claim to fame was he managed to get the fine against his client increased?

The money of the 50s and early 60s is likely tied up in other things.
  • Reply 37 of 122
    Quote:

The Hackintosh community doesn't really need Rebel EFI and I'm sure it numbers in the thousands.

Rebel EFI is being licensed to Mac cloners, since Pystar isn't allowed to do it themselves on their hardware, at least not in this country.

. . . . . .

Since my future needs doesn't seem to require the power of a MacBook Pro, just a glorified netbook without needing anti-virus, I'm seriously considering getting one.

. . . . . .

But since Mac's are now just Intel PC's like all other computers, even sporting a SD slot, running Windows and even Linux, there is no reason with OS X the vise versa should occur.

But again, with most people's needs just being the web, email and office type software. Netbooks are going to rule and other computers will be sidelined as specialty devices.

The Hackintosh community may not need Rebel EFI but guys like me certainly do. I used to take that stuff apart and put it all back together when I was younger but I just don't have the time anymore. It all has to work and keep working... I didn't even upgrade to SL until this past weekend, not because I was waiting for anything new - I bought the disk the same week it came out - I just never had a couple of hours available to dedicate to a machine. A good friend of mine bought a Fujitsu 10" netbook, installed the Rebel EFI & is running Leopard. He said it was simple, and it works great.

Like this guy and yourself, I really want a netbook running OS X. After 144 plane flights in 2009, I'm sick and tired of toting that damn 13" MacBook everywhere I go. I want to buy a 27" i7 iMac for my office and a 10" netbook for the road, and provide myself with the perfect office/road combo computing experience.

Apple just doesn't make anything for the uber road warrior, all of their portables feature a similar size footprint (13") and it just has to get more compact to suit my needs, and keep the schlepping factor low. A 10" (or even 11") MacBook Trail - a removable battery for long flights, no DVD, 2-3 USB2.0 ports, Ethernet, DVI (or their idiotic miniDP), maybe 1394 - would be awesome. Don't de-feature to achieve lightweight portability, innovate instead. Not to be.

You're right about "most people's needs." Too bad video is forcing guys like me to scroll and scroll. I spend 0 time watching movies on my MacBook but 18 hours a day on documents. This makes me pretty much average compared to the vast majority of portable computer users. Current available LCDs are all wide screen instead of delivering document height. Why would I want to watch a movie on some 13" screen when I have a 50" HDTV with 7.1 surround sound at home? Look around in airports and of the hundreds of people with open laptops, less than a handful are watching video. Virtually everyone's trying to get some work done.

Apple is missing a key market segment. They'll continue to ignore it because they have the tooling complete for their odd-numbered 13-15-17" unibody line and they're going to milk the profits for all it's worth, as long as they like - even though the whole metal shell laptop thing is closing in on 8-9 years old, grown really long in the tooth, and I yearn for something fresh and new and different looking... but forget that, think same.
  • Reply 38 of 122
    Quote:

Then you could just as well say you've got about ten choices from Apple, since they sell about that many Mac models altogether. That's all Acura is -- another Honda model. To the subject, I've never understood where anyone gets the idea that it's normal for a company to deliberately compete with itself, which is exactly what some think Apple ought to be doing. It's a pretty weird concept.

It's not really competing with itself though. In Japan, the Acura Legend is actually the Honda Legend. They are just rebadging the cars for the US. But Apple doesn't rebrand their computers, so can't really say it's the same thing. Why would people want Apple to compete with itself? On what?
  • Reply 39 of 122
    Quote:

It's not really competing with itself though. In Japan, the Acura Legend is actually the Honda Legend. They are just rebadging the cars for the US. But Apple doesn't rebrand their computers, so can't really say it's the same thing. Why would people want Apple to compete with itself? On what?

You are making my point -- both are products of Honda, not some other car manufacturer licensed by Honda to make Honda cars. Some believe that Apple should be licensing OSX to other hardware makers, though why they believe this, has never been clear to me. So you'd have to ask them why. The point I'm making is, if Apple followed this advice, they'd be creating competitors for themselves, which is an unusual business strategy to be sure.
  • Reply 40 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Like this guy and yourself, I really want a netbook running OS X. After 144 plane flights in 2009, I'm sick and tired of toting that damn 13" MacBook everywhere I go. I want to buy a 27" i7 iMac for my office and a 10" netbook for the road, and provide myself with the perfect office/road combo computing experience.

Apple just doesn't make anything for the uber road warrior, all of their portables feature a similar size footprint (13") and it just has to get more compact to suit my needs, and keep the schlepping factor low. A 10" (or even 11") MacBook Trail - a removable battery for long flights, no DVD, 2-3 USB2.0 ports, Ethernet, DVI (or their idiotic miniDP), maybe 1394 - would be awesome. Don't de-feature to achieve lightweight portability, innovate instead. Not to be.

I couldn't help read your phrase of "MacBook" which isn't meant to be for the "Road Warrior".

Apple has the MacBook Air and as our Steve said "Was meant to be for the Wireless World" An innovative piece of engineering in a slim and sexy design. Not to mention the MacBook Air beats any netbook in the market in regards to computing power.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/features.html

Give this a try