Psystar lawyer claims company not shutting down permanently

Comments

• Reply 101 of 122
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

The "you can leave now" was bad forum etiquette and MATT if your reading I apologize.

That's gentlemanly of you & I appreciate it. I did not take it as such, I thought your post was meant to be a clever & witty smack and thought it was funny.
  • Reply 102 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Posted previously: I took my InFocus machine into the Apple Store, and the MBA would not drive it. Could not detect a video signal. MB & MBP worked just fine. I then took it over to a friend's local office (who had recently purchased this Fujitsu 10.1" model), and ran the projector off the VGA port without a problem. The Mac Gurus could not explain why the projector would not run (nor were they very concerned about it).

I don’t doubt that you had problems getting the projector to work, but it had nothing to do with an underpowered graphics card. Here is a press release from InFocus’ site that that the MBA is supported.
  • Reply 103 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Solipsism he's not understanding that what he seeks is IMPOSSIBLE right now. I've noticed that you back almost every statement you make by facts (which I'm slowly doing myself), so if you cannot get through to this guy then I see it as nobody can.

The "you can leave now" was bad forum etiquette and MATT if your reading I apologize.

Quote:

That's gentlemanly of you & I appreciate it. I did not take it as such, I thought your post was meant to be a clever & witty smack and thought it was funny.

These forums are so much more civil these days. It?s a good thing.
  • Reply 104 of 122
    Quote:

See solipsism he knew I wasn't trying to be malicious

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You have emoticons at the end of your posts but you don’t sound like you are joking. Matt_S is not trolling or being an ass in any way.

Relax Mr.Wilson

• Reply 105 of 122
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t doubt that you had problems getting the projector to work, but it had nothing to do with an underpowered graphics card.

Well, it's certainly possible. You could speculate that unlike the MB or Pro versions, the Air delivers something different signal-wise to the miniDP port which doesn't get interpreted or converted properly by the VGA adapter. However, it also didn't work with the miniDP to DVI cable. On OS X Leopard on the Fujitsu, the InFocus worked just like on the MB or MBP.

I could not tell you precisely why it didn't work, I was only regurgitating the speculation of the Mac Guru at the Apple Store.

Again, as I've noted elsewhere, if you are happy with your MBA, congrats, I'm happy for you. I just have a dream that Apple will someday soon build a netbook that we can all be proud of. I never imagined that my dream machine would make the evening so miserable for so many. Not my intention.

Perhaps the real speculation should be: if you have a dream of a new Apple product, for the love of God, don't bring it here.
  • Reply 106 of 122
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Posted previously: I took my InFocus machine into the Apple Store, and the MBA would not drive it. Could not detect a video signal. MB & MBP worked just fine. I then took it over to a friend's local office (who had recently purchased this Fujitsu 10.1" model), and ran the projector off the VGA port without a problem. The Mac Gurus could not explain why the projector would not run (nor were they very concerned about it).

One projector doesn't work doesn't translate into unable to work with any projectors. Also, I've seen other laptops including one of my Dells unable to sync with some projectors so it's not some MBA limitation.

The fujitsu P1690 has far wimpier graphics for $1900 and the M2011 netbook is...well...a netbook with even wimpier capabilities. Good luck with that as your primary machine.

If the MBA doesn't work for you, that's fine. But your characterizations have been trollish and incorrect. It's a nice road warrior machine on par with the other lightweight notebook options.
  • Reply 107 of 122
    Quote:

Again, as I've noted elsewhere, if you are happy with your MBA, congrats, I'm happy for you. I just have a dream that Apple will someday soon build a netbook that we can all be proud of. I never imagined that my dream machine would make the evening so miserable for so many. Not my intention.

Perhaps the real speculation should be: if you have a dream of a new Apple product, for the love of God, don't bring it here.

That's BS. What you wrote was:

"Lousy graphics. I couldn't get it to work with my InFocus projector, not enough graphics performance or oomph or something. Can't do a business presentation, why tote it? Not a road warrior machine."

"This thing is a cute toy."

"What kind of modern computer is that? It's for suburban housewives who want to look cool surfing at StarBucks."

If you want a 10" netbook that runs OSX then get a Lenovo or Fujitsu and hackintosh it. No one will say boo and some folks will discretely point you in the right direction. Expecting Apple to make one for you will get the usual answer of "not likely given the margins are so low" or "the tablet may be what you're looking for".

But don't act like some hurt party. You were looking for a fight over the MBA and now crying because folks called you on it. You got exactly the same respect you doled out. So man up and don't whine about it.

"Road warrior"
  • Reply 108 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

That's BS. What you wrote was:

"Lousy graphics. I couldn't get it to work with my InFocus projector, not enough graphics performance or oomph or something. Can't do a business presentation, why tote it? Not a road warrior machine."

"This thing is a cute toy."

"What kind of modern computer is that? It's for suburban housewives who want to look cool surfing at StarBucks."

If you want a 10" netbook that runs OSX then get a Lenovo or Fujitsu and hackintosh it. No one will say boo and some folks will discretely point you in the right direction. Expecting Apple to make one for you will get the usual answer of "not likely given the margins are so low" or "the tablet may be what you're looking for".

But don't act like some hurt party. You were looking for a fight over the MBA and now crying because folks called you on it. You got exactly the same respect you doled out. So man up and don't whine about it.

"Road warrior"

THATS RIGHT VINEA, TELL HIM TO MAN UP!!! WE LOVE APPLE WHOOOOT!!

• Reply 109 of 122
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Apple is making mistakes.

1: Not tying OS X to Apple hardware.

OS X is tied to Apple hardware

Quote:

2: Ignoring the low end of the PC market

And doing so very profitably

Quote:

3: Thinking the law is going to protect their sales.

It just did

Quote:

The results are clear.

As mud!
  • Reply 110 of 122
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

(MacBook Air) ... is a bit under powered. No storage. No replaceable battery. Lousy graphics. I couldn't get it to work with my InFocus projector, not enough graphics performance or oomph or something. Can't do a business presentation, why tote it? Not a road warrior machine. ...

I get that you don't like the Air, but this is just a nonsense statement.

Projectors use VGA, they always have and always will. There is no notebook or laptop alive today that can't output VGA even if you have to use an adapter. The idea that a notebook "doesn't have enough oomph" for a presentation is just ridiculous.

Quote:

I have more Power Point presentations, Excel budget spreadsheets and PDF specification sheets on our products than the MBA can hold on it's puny drive. This doesn't even account for any applications or music or photos or any other documents. This thing is a cute toy. ...

Also a ridiculous statement.

You carry 100 Gigs of presentations around with you? Even if I believed that, You'd be an idiot for doing it, and most other laptops would put you in the same boat.

To say you don't like the Air and want something larger or more powerful is one thing, but to imply that you can get all that in a netbook is just disingenuous. Generally speaking netbooks (like the Air), make enormous compromises just to exist at all. It's just a matter of what you want to give up.

Apparently you want to give up style, power and long battery life in exchange for small footprint, and stupid amounts of storage and are willing to deal with a lot of extra baggage like batteries, SD cards and so forth in order to get it.
  • Reply 111 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

Apple created an OS, own it, and want to earn money from it..

That doesn't mean that it isn't in our best interest as consumers (people seem to forget what they are) for Apple to have some competition from companies like Psystar.
  • Reply 112 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You carry 100 Gigs of presentations around with you? Even if I believed that, You'd be an idiot for doing it, and most other laptops would put you in the same boat.

Well the bizzaro thing is that if you really needed 100GB+ of presentations you're an idiot if you don't carry a backup in the form of a few USB keys or external drive. Which is more stuff he doesn't want to carry but since you SHOULD anyway, carrying an external HDD and the most important presentations on the internal drive is STILL the minimal loadout.

On a customer site with a smashed or stolen laptop I can borrow one for powerpoint and not look too stupid. Stuff happens. What I can't do is easily get 100GB worth of presentations over their network.

All that said...I can see the MBA being phased out for the tablet at some point. The 13" MBP is a pretty nice road warrior machine at only 1.5 lbs heavier. The footprint that matters the most is whether your screen is likely to be smushed in coach and the 13" is small enough that it's not a problem.
  • Reply 113 of 122
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Well the bizzaro thing is that if you really needed 100GB+ of presentations you're an idiot if you don't carry a backup in the form of a few USB keys or external drive. .... What I can't do is easily get 100GB worth of presentations over their network. ...

Anyone carrying a hundred Gigs of PowerPoint presentations is just "doing it wrong" as they say and deserves to be ridiculed, but in fact I think the original poster was just exaggerating/lying when they stated that. All of their posts are full of hyperbole and overstatement, so it's not a stretch to think they were just being annoying when saying that and that they don't actually have that many presentations.

My main beef was with the implication that all this could be easily had on a netbook, but that the MacBook Air was a "toy" that couldn't do the job. Netbooks are "toys" to the exact same extent (or more so), that the MacBook Air is. You can't differentiate the two, and "Road Warriors" actually carry giant heavy laptops with lots of external drives and batteries.

There is no "road warrior" netbook that exists, but because of the new technology and the cloud, many can now "get by" with a lesser machine, like a netbook or an Air. In that scenario, the "warrior" is making compromises and it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Netbooks are slightly smaller footprint and cheaper, but they are also on average a lot slower and less powerful than the Air.
  • Reply 114 of 122
    Quote:

You mean like the Geo Prizm was a Corolla made and sold under a GM brand? The Geo brand was essentially cars licensed from Japan from various companies (Toyota, Isuzu, Suzuki).

I don't think that Apple should license or have clones but it's not exactly as uncommon as you suggest.

It's very uncommon. Geo was a joint venture between GM and Suzuki, not a licensing arrangement. GM also did a joint venture with Toyota, which is why they both sold similar cars.
  • Reply 115 of 122
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Madcapper View Post

That doesn't mean that it isn't in our best interest as consumers (people seem to forget what they are) for Apple to have some competition from companies like Psystar.

Madcapper - please get off that shaky soapbox of yours and stop pretending to be the righteous fighter and representative of consumer rights.

Why not sell OSX for free then? That would certainly be in the consumer's best interest right? Heck, why not allow OSX to be installed on a any untested hardware configuration which would end up resulting in the Windows experience of unstable drivers, and system freezes? What would the consumer end up doing in this scenario?? Blame Apple.

Thank goodness precedent was set by the judge. It's one of those rare instances where justice was actually served.

Company A develops great product and bases their business from it.

Company B comes out from under rock and takes Company A's product and steals revenue from it.

What part of this scenario eludes you? You're not thinking of the consumer's best interest. Your substituting your lack of respect to IP property as being what every consumer must want. Apple does not want to cater to whatever low-end market you seem to be representing. That certainly does not give you the right to simply steal (and that is exactly what it is) a company's property to do with as you please. Go to Apple's other competitors. Windows, Linux, Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, etc. List is seriously long. Apple's blowout quarters (and in a recession) do show that more consumers (minus you of course) do believe that Apple is doing something right. But of course, it's not about Apple, it's all about you and what you want. Damn the legality of it.

If you don't like the way Apple runs its business, we'll gladly show you the door and recommend to you to not have it hit your backside on the way out.
  • Reply 116 of 122
    @ Matt_S

Reviews of the new Asus Eee PC 1005PE have just starting hitting the net. It uses the new Intel Atom “Pine Trail” CPU which translates to a more efficient processor with better performance and by extension more battery time. The only negative mark seems to be the LCD quality.
  • Reply 117 of 122
    Quote:

Lousy graphics

MS has a point. Apple products aren't beyond criticism.

Netbooks do seem underpowered. But then, what are people attempting to do on them? I guess if you're desperate, a skinflint and want 3 inches less (on your screen...) then they're 'ok' for a bit of emailing, word processing on the go. If fact my cousin had a netbook doing the music on his dj stint only yesterday. Not exactly quick. But it 'did the job.'

Clearly, they'll get faster in time. But I can see why Apple hasn't made one.

As for the Macbook Air. Apple's 'netbook' or ultra slim notebook. I like the design of it. But the 'ports' thing. Hmm. How many do you need when you're 'on the go?' Depends on the purpose, I guess. But if you want to do emailing...it's a snip at...well. Clearly, Apple thinks you should pay extra for something that thin. Er. Just buy the 15 inch Macbook Pro instead.

9400. Not lousy. But I've noticed a trend of Apple 'side grading' alot this past year or two. iMac notably. And when the 'new' iMac came? Nothing new GPU wise. Just last years low end card in a 'top of the range' machine. Bar the new screen? i5 in the top end model. (A dirt cheap quad core cpu...and the dual core 3 gigger flogged again in most of the models.)

If we're lucky, next year we'll see some spec progress next year.

Oh yeah. Psystar. Who cares? They're out of it. Personally, if you owe 2 million dollars how can you afford to eat? Let alone sell an 'efi' product? Shrugs. If Apple have to...they'll grind what's left of their dust and set it on fire then throw the ashes into the sea.

Personally I didn't agree with their conduct. Thieves who abused Apple's copyright. However, another point. Apple does compete against the collective might of the PC industry. And of course I cheer them on. It's a virtual holy war.

However, Apple themselves have no direct competition in Macs. There are holes in their desktop line, quad core price of entry is still stupidly high, the Mac Pro is outrageously priced, the Macbook Air is bordering on folly, the Mac Mini overpriced...and the specs somewhat apologetic. The gpus on all machines are pretty stale as standard, and in some cases over a year out of date...for the 'double' or treble the price you're paying...compared to the PC competition and the vram is pretty dour. Sure, there are 'junk' netbooks for £200. Junk desktops for around £400.

But in that £700-£1400 range?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 118 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Some believe that Apple should be licensing OSX to other hardware makers, though why they believe this, has never been clear to me.

Running OSX on generic PCs appeals to basically 3 types of users.

1. So cheap that they can't afford a Mac Mini.

2. Want to build a PC more powerful than Mac Pro for half the cost.

3. Want a netbook form factor.
  • Reply 119 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Running OSX on generic PCs appeals to basically 3 types of users.

1. So cheap that they can't afford a Mac Mini.

2. Want to build a PC more powerful than Mac Pro for half the cost.

3. Want a netbook form factor.

I understand the appeal to people who want cheap Macs. What I am failing to see is any rationale that works for Apple's actual business of manufacturing and selling computers. As nearly as I can tell, the entire thought process behind this desire is that if Microsoft does it, Apple should too. Setting aside the business considerations for a moment, I don't know why anyone would want Apple to be more like Microsoft
  • Reply 120 of 122
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You are making my point -- both are products of Honda, not some other car manufacturer licensed by Honda to make Honda cars. Some believe that Apple should be licensing OSX to other hardware makers, though why they believe this, has never been clear to me. So you'd have to ask them why. The point I'm making is, if Apple followed this advice, they'd be creating competitors for themselves, which is an unusual business strategy to be sure.

You mean like Apple making iTunes, iPhone and QuickTime available for PCs?