Apple releases fix for iMac graphics flickering issue

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

I think someone posted that Apple indicated if the update doesn't resolve the problem, then a hardware warranty replacement would be necessary. However, I wonder if some of these issues could be due to some of the ATI chips coming to apple with an old/wrong firmware revision and this would explain a firmware update resolving the issue.

True, they might have more than one issue there... though last time I had to update graphics firmware was in the time of GF2 cards - my GF2 MX worked fine with Win 98 but was black-screening on early XP.

It is not common, but it is possible.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    My new I mac i7 is fine, and I haven't got any flash or screen issue.

That's say, I know too many people having problems. It's not marginal.

I wonder if we could make a poll to see the percentage of defective 27 inch I mac.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    gotgot Posts: 3member
    Received my 27",Quad Core i7, iMac a couple of weeks ago and the CPU fan was spinning out of control at max (sounded like a jet engine). The screen was also yellow across the bottom half and the thing wouldn't stay awake after being woken up.

I took it to the Apple Store and they were going to replace the power supply, logic board, CPU fan and several cables. I opted to have it replaced (middle of January).

Odd thing too, right now I'm running OS 10.4.11 on an 800MHz G4 and Adobe Illustrator CS1 was running faster than when I installed CS4-Illustrator and ran it on the brand new i7 iMac. I opened several large files on the i7-iMac that I was having troubles on my 800MHz-G4 and I had the same problems (rendering large 3D objects that I had created in Illustrator). I opened up Activity Monitor to what was going on and there was only 300MB of RAM being alloted to CS4-Illustrator (out of 8GB of RAM). Don't understand what was going on (and I'm not very techy). Will have to do further test when I get the replacement.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    Got contacted from my Apple dealer today (as I didn't order the new 27" i7 through the Apple Store) and he confirmed me that the iMac (ordered on this past black friday) won't arrive until late January, because of hardware problems, that Apple is trying to fix. Anyway I see that they are shipping them with small delays on the online store, even though they are acknowledging the problems to users experiencing flickers (I see that many users got up to 2 replacement, and after the second replacement they got a full refund). I really hope they manage to fix this problem because otherwise those iMacs are the best Apple ever did and they could help Apple market share a lot!