Apple releases fix for iMac graphics flickering issue

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Monday afternoon released a firmware update for its new 27-inch iMac that aims to fix flickering graphics issues that have plagued some users.

27-inch iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0 is available via Software Update or for download direct from Apple. The small 683KB file requires Mac OS X 10.6.2 or later.

Apple said the firmware update applies to the big-screen iMac's ATI Radeon HD 4670 and 4850 graphics cards. It reportedly addresses issues that may cause image interruption or display flickering.

Users are asked not to shut off the power on their iMac during the update. Loss of power could result in the iMac failing to start.

Earlier this month, as reports of flickering on the 27-inch model continued to grow, shipments of the hardware were delayed past Christmas for some customers. Apple responded by apologizing for the delay, which the company implied was due to high demand. However, Apple did not state whether the display issues played a role.

"The new iMac has been a huge hit and we are working hard to fulfill orders as quickly as possible," a company official said. "We apologize for any inconvenience or delay in delivery this may cause our customers."

An example of the screen distortion issue is included below:

Despite the reports of issues, the iMac was the best-selling desktop in the U.S. in the month of October. The new 21.5-inch model took the top spot, while the big-screen 27-inch version came in at No. 3 for the month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Apple better be more careful and spend more time/money on quality issues.

This is exactly the type of problems that people like to use when talking about "overpriced hardware" and it can be avoided!
  • Reply 2 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Who was it that was complaining about this issue and calling for no less than a complete recall of all 27” iMacs?

edit: Ah! http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...0&postcount=37
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Never had any issues at all with my imac 27.

Everything works perfectly.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Apple better be more careful and spend more time/money on quality issues.

This is exactly the type of problems that people like to use when talking about "overpriced hardware" and it can be avoided!

"Shame on Apple?"

I would suggest that if one were to become the BEST OF THE BEST in what he/she invented, made, lead or managed, and done it with consistency, for more than a day, then perhaps one has the right to cast direction on someone.

In the meantime, perhaps one could take out the garbage once in their lifetime without being told.

Until then, 'shame' is not on Apple'
  • Reply 5 of 64
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Finishing up week two of using my i7 iMac. It's an incredible machine and I have had zero issues with it. Sucks that some units have had problems. I wonder what the percentage is of those 27" machines having that issue.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    I too have had no problems w/my 27" i5. Any thoughts/recommendations on the download if there haven't been any issues?

peace,

wmt
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Segue… Is there a formula or law that describes the relative number of complaints or issues for a product growing at a rate much faster than sales are increasing, even if the actual percentage of issues say the same or even lower?
  • Reply 8 of 64
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    I have had my 27" iMac i5 for a few weeks now and I have had no problems with it at all - it is a superb and flawless system. Worth every single penny I spent on it.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willmtaylor View Post

I too have had no problems w/my 27" i5. Any thoughts/recommendations on the download if there haven't been any issues?

peace,

wmt

I think everyone should update to the latest firmware of all hardware.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Next up? Users screaming that the firmware update bricked their iMac. The bitching never, ever, stops.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Next up? Users screaming that the firmware update bricked their iMac. The bitching never, ever, stops.

And you're implying that you wouldn't be screaming. Laughable.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Who was it that was complaining about this issue and calling for no less than a complete recall of all 27” iMacs?

edit: Ah! http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...0&postcount=37

And they still should. Those that got the software fix after Apple STOPPED shipping them are getting a band-aid fix at best.

Stopping Shipping a product and claiming it's because of popularity is the typical Apple reply to a probem.

Does it really mean that much to you to be right all of the time at any cost?

Seems pretty immature.

Won't be on-line the rest of the week. Yes, taking my laptop but time with my family is far more important than bickering with you. So trash away as you normally do.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rudder View Post

Never had any issues at all with my imac 27.

Everything works perfectly.

Same here with my quad i5 iMac. Well apart from it burning my eyes out with its awesome brightness. LOL
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

And they still should. Those that got the software fix after Apple STOPPED shipping them are getting a band-aid fix at best.

So you?re still holding that it?s a HW problem, not a driver problem and that every 27? iMac should be recalled despite the many that are working just fine. Great argument!
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Quote:

Stopping Shipping a product and claiming it's because of popularity is the typical Apple reply to a probem.

Seems pretty immature.

Won't be on-line the rest of the week. Yes, taking my laptop but time with my family is far more important than bickering with you. So trash away as you normally do.

Might be easier to just admit that you were wrong about it needing a recall. You are correct though, you seem immature. You are incorrect about needing a recall, but you are sticking to your original argument even though the fix is a simple software patch. Does it really mean that much to you to feel like you are right even though you aren't?
  • Reply 16 of 64
    @AngusYoung and Roos24

Here's to heaping contumely on both of you, for your holier-than-thou positing is infantile and embarrassing.

I've had my 27" iMac quad-i5 from the very beginning (purchased from the local Apple Store). No problems whatsoever . . . but little is ever heard from those with perfect hardware, huh? It's only the squeaky wheels that get the grease (and column inches) today, so if only .0001% of iMac owners have had problems with the 27", it is THEIR voices people like you choose to hear. Not the 99.9999% who are more than satisfied with their machines.

NOTE: A well-respected national consumer advocate is frequently heard to say that it is not how many perfect products a company ships that merits his respect: It's how that company subsequently treats its customers who receive imperfect ones! And Apple, Inc. is the world's best in this arena. That's a fact and something you two elect to ignore. Shame on you, for your opinions are unworthy of our respect and consideration.

NOTE 2: Applied the update this afternoon anyway. Display still perfect. No change.

One would have to pry this machine from my cold, dead fingers to take it away. It is a dream come true.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

@AngusYoung and Roos24

Here's to heaping contumely on both of you, for your holier-than-thou positing is infantile and embarrassing.

I've had my 27" iMac quad-i5 from the very beginning (purchased from the local Apple Store). No problems whatsoever . . . but little is ever heard from those with perfect hardware, huh? It's only the squeaky wheels that get the grease (and column inches) today, so if only .0001% of iMac owners have had problems with the 27", it is THEIR voices people like you choose to hear. Not the 99.9999% who are more than satisfied with their machines.

NOTE: A well-respected national consumer advocate is frequently heard to say that it is not how many perfect products a company ships that merits his respect: It's how that company subsequently treats its customers who receive imperfect ones! And Apple, Inc. is the world's best in this arena. That's a fact and something you two elect to ignore. Shame on you, for your opinions are unworthy of our respect and consideration.

NOTE 2: Applied the update this afternoon anyway. Display still perfect. No change.

One would have to pry this machine from my cold, dead fingers to take it away. It is a dream come true.

"Hear! Hear!" Well put.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Quote:

Apple said the firmware update applies to the big-screen iMac's ATI Radeon HD 4670 and 4850 graphics cards. It reportedly addresses issues that may cause image interruption or display flickering

ATI is punishing Apple for not choosing AMD (parent company of ATI) x86 processors for their Mac's.

Although I hear some other devices Apple uses AMD chips..

Also let this be a warning!

Never, never, buy a first generation Apple product unless your two steps away from a Apple Store, got cart blanche and a lot of time and money to spare. Certainly buy Apple Care, because after the first year, they drop you good.

Apple likes to innovate and unfortunately doesn't test any of it's products before release, rather relying upon the "surprise" and hype factor and cleaning up the mistakes later on if not at all.

Also the second and third generation has a more mature product offering, better processor, features, etc.

And yes I'm still on Leopard, because we called it Leoptard for the first 8 months out of the gate.

The Snow Leopard "guest deletion" problem is proof it's better to wait for things to get a bit solid before committing.

I've done enough beta testing for Apple over the years, my heart just isn't into it anymore, it's not making me money, so why bother?
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:

Seems pretty immature.

how is this a band-aid fix? it fixes the problem without needing to get up from your chair. the fix was available in a reasonable amount of time.

of course you'll just say "i'm not going to be online with my make believe family after i post a stupid comment so i won't see the endless flames it generates"
  • Reply 20 of 64
    My beautiful astounding perfect iMac i7 which arrived Nov 27 is still working 100% after the firmware upgrade. This machine is a mega beastie beaut!