Google's Nexus One compared to Apple's iPhone, Motorola Droid

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

If MS hadn't squeezed out other OS's by blackmailing hardware companies, companies like EA would likely have been on multiple platforms far earlier.

So your point seem to be that developers will develop software for fragmented platforms if they are also popular platforms.

That is exactly what I am saying. Fragmentation for Android is a challenge. But given the popularity of Android, the challenge likely will be met.

Why do you disagree? We agree on the basic concept that fragmentation is a challenge, but can be overcome. Why you think that developers will abandon Android due to fragmentation? The most profitable software companies in the world develop for an extrememly fragmented platform already.

Fragmentation is a challenge. It is not a fatal disease.
  • Reply 102 of 106
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    What's it like to pull out of your pocket and make a phonecall on?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

I bought my kid an Archos 5 Internet Media Table...

"blah, blah, blah...

• Reply 103 of 106
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

What's it like to pull out of your pocket and make a phonecall on?

For phpone calls, it works about the same as the iTouch. In all other respects, it makes the iTouch look sick.

Apple has got a lot of catching up to do.
  • Reply 104 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

At least, double tap to zoom in and zoom out works on vanilla Android 2.0

Try triple tap on iphone and you won't like it.
  • Reply 105 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

What an odd thread. Who cares what Google are doing, I'm sure they'll have great phones running Android. iPhone basically has three things that Android doesn't, and maybe never will have.

1) Apps. Loads of them. More than 100,000 available and 2 billion downloaded. Some companies are making up to $1 million a month in sales, something that Google won't get overnight

2) iTunes/iPod. Love it or hate it, iTunes is the defacto music manager and this is the one single thing that would keep me, even if all other things didn't count. I don't want to carry a $300 phone and a $300 iPod around with me. It's just not plausible for me to move over 800GBs of music and video to another format or manager, I think a lot of other people are the same

3) Standards. There are 3 iPhone models and aside of speed, they can all pretty much do the same thing. The problem with the many different versions of Android is that apps will have a hard time staying compatible or being performant on each. OK, so Command and Conquer is slow on the 1st and 2nd gen iPhones, but it works. Some games will be 3GS only, but as a developer, you know everyone who bought an iPhone since July has the same model. You only have to look at the state of WinMo to see what eventually happens when you have 20 different OEMs using different implementations of your OS. Even RIM has a relatively stable OS release/look and feel, which is why they've been so successful.

When all is said and done, Apple and Google may end up owning more than 50% of the market between them before too long (at least in the US and EU), and some people will always want to multi-task regardless of battery life or ease-of-use, which is fine. But the terms "iPhone killer" or even "Droid-killer" are nonsense. These phones are here to stay for a very long time.

This is a brilliant point that needs to be reminded to the mobile fanboys/fangirls. Matching driods with their cousins manufactured by OEMs (soon globally) just like WinMo's case is comprehensible. It is pure baloney to match a software to a real phone.
  • Reply 106 of 106