Apple's tablet interface said to 'surprise,' Jobs pleased

Comments

• Reply 101 of 176
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One current senior employee at Apple would only say that Jobs is "extremely happy with the new tablet." Someone else who recently left Apple reportedly said that users will be "surprised how you interact with the new tablet."

Alpha and theta waves...
  • Reply 102 of 176
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You just reinforced my point. Mobile Firefox is not just Firefox recompiled for a different processor, is it? It's something written basically from the ground up for mobile OSs and devices, and if it's been in the works for "a long time" as you write, then it demonstrates the difficulty since it has never been released to the public in all that time. As I wrote, a simple recompilation simply won't do and most developers of Mac apps will not go to the trouble of rewriting and simplifying complex apps for a new, relatively low-speed device. Hence, no point in the tablet running full OS X since it can't run any regular OS X apps.

According to Wikipedia, "Firefox for mobile 1.0 uses the same version of the Gecko layout engine as Firefox 3.6.? This seems similar to WebKit which means that Mozilla has finally made the Gecko engine and perhaps the associated JS engine efficient enough to run on a mobile device.

Mozilla has been working with Nokia for at least 1.5 years to port Firefox to Qt but I don?t understand why it?s taking so long or why Mozilla doesn?t have their mobile browser on every platform but the iPhone at this part. Can the app really take that long to build when you?ve got an engine that apparently requires no reduction to go mobile? I certainly don?t know, but it does seem like there is a huge chunk of the puzzle missing.
  • Reply 103 of 176
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

So you see Apple could very well, with the iTablet announcement, tell the world Snow Leopard is going to be the last we see of OS X and everyone should just buy a iTablet and develop iPhone OS from now on.

I somewhat agree with you but you're forgetting about all the professionals who use Macs for media ent production. Pro audio/video etc. Apple wouldn't simply and couldn't stop OS X at least for a very long time. Unless those pro applications such as Logic and Final Cut could run on an iPhone like OS.
  • Reply 104 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I'm starting to believe that you aren't serious and just trolling at this point.

i agree. the only thing mactripper or teckstud or whoever it is accomplishes is to fill the threads with crap and meaningless banter. he/they are very strange, and incredibly obnoxious.
  • Reply 105 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

When Apple didn't allow Apps on OS X.

Apple can easily make a dual compiler, they did it with PPC and Intel processors, it's because they don't want Apps running on OS X.

You would think the advantage of having Apps on both the iPhone and their home computer would boost Mac sales, so they could sync and all, Apple makes more sales of Mac hardware in the process.

They are not doing that because they are going to let OS X die as the new iTablet/App OS takes over.

Apple is trending towards a new OS and a simpler interface with new hardware devices.

Play chess enough, you begin to see 20 or 30 moves ahead.

That very well could be. Is it really going to happen? I think it is still too early to tell, but probably not.
  • Reply 106 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Jobs is also pleased with the Magic Mouse. Means nothing. Show me the product and I'll decide for myself.

Wise advice. WHat is good for one is not necessarily good for another.
  • Reply 107 of 176
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

help! I just cut the skin off the tip of my finger! It's just the skin without any flesh. after bleeding profusely I put the skin on top of the finger and after some pressure the bleeding finally stopped. I put the skin exactly as it was before so it's acting like a bandage of sorts. I also put a couple bandages on tightly. I'm hoping my finger will heal with the skin like that on there.

this ruins my Christmas weekend as i was hoping to type on the tech blogs about apple rumors. right now I'm touch typing with one finger on my left hand veryyyy slowly.

Merry Christmas.

Some people use super glue for this type of skin wound. No kidding. Look into it.
  • Reply 108 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Some people use super glue for this type of skin wound. No kidding. Look into it.

Weren?t emergency military adhesives one of the first uses of cyanoacrylate?
  • Reply 109 of 176
    OMG...

As i read this article... I felt terrible thinking, "I want one already!"

Even when I don't know anything about it.... >_>;;;;

*slaps self in the face*

mmm.... There's a good chance I'll still really want one after I see it revealed tho....

Damn Apple.... getting me to spend my money... I feel like I've turned into

an Apple drone now..... the type other people make fun of...

"Must have everything Apple!" sigh...
  • Reply 110 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asgiov View Post

OMG...

As i read this article... I felt terrible thinking, "I want one already!"

Even when I don't know anything about it?

Given Apple?s track record since Jobs has returned to the helm it?s not too hard to imagine that a tablet they?ve ben working on for presumably several years will be appealing.

Here is a pretty slick mockup of the Notion Ink tablet using Pixel Qi that should be shown at CES in a couple weeks. I have to wonder if Pixel Qi is what Apple will use. It seems like the best fit I?ve seen so far but usually we hear about a unknown beneficiary backing the company or simply Apple buying them out altogether.
  • Reply 111 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Real work lets see. How about trying to work on an Excel spreadsheet using only a multi touch tablet with now keyboard. That would be fun. Or creating a powerpoint presentation. Or for that matter a large word document.

Could the table run a full version of Photoshop? Could you install printer drivers on this tablet? How would you backup your work?

I guess if surfing the internet is real work for you then a tablet would be fine.

Fact is non of us know what it has to offer so talking about a tablet that hasn't even come out yet replacing notebooks and desktops seems a bit of a stretch.

This new Tablet could range from a fairly powerful system to nothing more then Apple version of an e-reader.

An optional custom docking station the base mounts into at around 60-90% angle option [giving 0-30 degrees tilt back and forwards] with usb connectors and bluetooth for a keyboard/mouse option also would turn this tactile tablet on the go to be a true asset in corporations, universities, research labs, etc.

Just have the strip include a a T stand [top view reversed] for stability and collapse inside a bag where one can carry the mini mac keyboard and mouse for those on the go and you're set.
  • Reply 112 of 176
    for it to succeed. i suspect it will fill many needs...here's one to consider...what if it has a forward facing camera for one to one video conferencing...that is one helluva need for business...the iphone 3gs was rumored to have this feature before it came out and i suspect the tablet is going to have it....if it does, that is one awesome friggin feature that is going to get a lot of businesses to buy them.
  • Reply 113 of 176
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

There are some real kernels of truth in what you say. I was intrigued by your posts. Going forwards, you could well be right. I think iPhone OS is the OS of the future. Didn't Mac OS X slim down mightily from its PPC days? Into the trim, lean fighting machine for portable computing? iPhone is lighter, fitter, portable, simpler. OS X is modular and will bolt the necessaries on to become a multi-gesture slate.

Sure, the Mac isn't going anywhere in the interim.

But if the iTab is anything like what it could potentially be...we could have the end game in sight for 1984 style computing for the masses. Leaving the traditional computing paradigm for 'serious' work?

A 100 million ipod/iphone/islates sold a year vs 12 million Macs?

Computing, OS have become and been rather complex. It is refreshing that Apple are going back to the light with an OS for the 'rest of us.'

Can't wait for the iTab. Hope we get it in 7 and 10 inches.

Lemon Bon Bon.

I agree yo,

Mactripper's analysis is totally valid, and i find it quite plausible that apple is moving away from a desk-top operating system as we know it.

What's interesting about the iPhone is that suddenly when you look at your old desktop system it feels outdated and complicated for the daily use.

The iphone os looks and feels like you would think a computer would look if you were to predict 40 years ago what the future would look like.

Maybe you just dont need Finders, Docks, menu-bars, floating windows, terminals, and 1-2 minute start-up waiting to write emails, school assignments and use the web.

And Mactripper is being flamed and accused for trolling, just for pointing that out.
  • Reply 114 of 176
    Quote:

I agree yo,

Mactripper's analysis is totally valid, and i find it quite plausible that apple is moving away from a desk-top operating system as we know it.

What's interesting about the iPhone is that suddenly when you look at your old desktop system it feels outdated and complicated for the daily use.

The iphone os looks and feels like you would think a computer would look if you were to predict 40 years ago what the future would look like.

Maybe you just dont need Finders, Docks, menu-bars, floating windows, terminals, and 1-2 minute start-up waiting to write emails, school assignments and use the web.

And Mactripper is being flamed and accused for trolling, just for pointing that out.

Yeah. I think Mactripper is spot on. He's shrewdly pointing out the inevitable. And anyone paying attention can where Apple is going. They're no longer a 'computer' company but an electronics company. There biggest successes are non-traditional computers. And they're both based on OS X aka the 'iphone os'.

Some people don't want to admit it. Some people fear change. Some people just disagree. But Apple is all about change. 1984 is no longer the key battle ground. Sure, Apple may take marketshare away from Windows. May even get into the 11-15% marketshare in the next few years. However, look at where Windows is in the 'true' Mobile arena. And? They're nowhere. Where are Apple? They're no.1, at the top and look set to consolidate and stretch their lead with the iSlate.

And yes, the iPhone looks and feels 21st century. The Mac is still stuck in 1984 in many ways.

And I think going forwards, computing is going to be gadjet based, simple, intuitive, touchy feely and that many of the things we use a 'complicated' computer OS for...will be handled quite adequately between an iPhone OS and an Apple TV.

Given the choice between sitting uncomfortably at an iMac or slouching with an iSlate...which would I choose to do most of the 'lazy' computing tasks? eg web, dvd, light emailing, games?

It's an iSlate with a box of chocs on the sofa. All ends up. 'Couch potato' computing the 3rd great computing era is upon us.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 115 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

I agree yo,

I wholeheartedly agree: Mactripper has a very valid point re: "consumer UI"... although I strongly disagree with his point about "Mac OS X" dying=not going to happen because it is the very foundation for every Apple UI below it. That Apple has and is concentrating on slimming down OS X, or branching it as with the iPhone OS, is also not surprising, and they just did it with SL as well. Lean, mean, and modular OSes and frameworks are the future. Building blocks really.

iTab OS will be a branch of OS X, with iPhone OS touch goodies, specifically tailored for the new devices and mobile services.

Reference the only other important players in tech: Google and Adobe.

First Google.

Apple having their close relationship with Google through Schmidt, knew long before anyone else about Google's Android and Chrome OS. Was Apple or Jobs scared? No. Because he knows that he can not revolutionize alone. It took his success with the music studios and the iPod revolution to show him the light. He needs validation in his vision, and Google provides it with Android and Chrome OS. One is true mobile only (Android=iPhone OS), the other is mobile services (Chrome=iTab OS).

Neither Google nor Apple want to replace Windows, Mac OS or Linux distros... because there will always be a need for "serious work" systems and OS's. Mac OS X is one of those; Google doesn't care; Linux distros will continue to enrapture the geeks; and MS doesn't get it and/or is too late to the party... although they will (and do) offer "mobile services". We?ll see how good they do with that.

Now Adobe.

While a somewhat painful relationship at best, Apple does know where Adobe is heading in regards to applications, cloud services, etc. We do to. A simple YouTube search comes up with quite a few sneak peeks, but I find this one most interesting, especially what only 20,000 lines of code can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX3S7nrXBNY. This will be something closer to the new Photoshop for use with a tablet. Caveat: Flash and Air. I sure do hope they are working closely with Apple this round, and make it good! Note: notice that the demo of Rome is done on a Mac and it's application creation software.

IMHO:

1) this is not a laptop-, desktop-, iPhone or iPod-Touch...Killer. It kills nothing Apple. It is a device that you will want 2 or 3 of to compliment and use with, all of the above, similar to the iPod range. That's why there are also going to be 2 sizes. I believe you'll want one on your bedstand, your coffee table, in the den, the garage, the kitchen... where ever being a button away from the net will be convenient.

2) Some will say, "that's what the iPhone and iPod Touch are for". True... to a point. However, I said "convenient". Imagine it's also set up to fit the space it occupies "one" touch away. On the coffee-table, it might be a digital picture viewer when not in use. In the bedroom: e-book reader, TV, movie player, etc. The den: ESPN, MLB, IMDB, and remote. Etc, etc.

Later versions of this device will incorporate RFID tech to aid in ?location and service awareness?. As an example, in the kitchen, look up a recipe on the net, and this device will tell you what you already have for ingredients, and list what you don?t and sync it to your iPhone shopping list. If you happen to be already shopping, you will be able to query with your kitchen tablet, to tell you what's there or not. 2 way communication and syncing, why just "one device for everything" will be insufficient and not convenient. This is nothing new and has been talked and speculated about for years.

Last but not least, these devices are ALL synced through an iMac or Mini server( as well as the cloud i.e. MobileMe)... and all available as iChat video conferencing and screen sharing, room to room. So it will be multi-tasking. Basic syncing will work through iTunes, but advanced syncing/sharing will only "truly" work on a Mac.

Note: Google's Chrome OS and Android will work in this set-up as well I think, but again, not nearly as seamless as if you have all Apple hardware. While many may see Google as a competitor, I don't. Google wants ad $$$ - Apple wants hardware and micro-payment $$$.

3) I did leave "netbook-killer" for a reason. While this device may or may not "kill" netbooks, it WILL take over 90% of the reason for purchasing one for many people, mac or otherwise (internet re: mobile and web services anywhere and on the go), as well as canceling your need for a separate e-reader.

I think the e-reader category of devices will be effectively dead by this time next year. When e-reading on Apple?s new device, it will intelligently use ambient light sensors, as well as program/format awareness, to alter the devices brightness automatically. Rather easy stuff these days tech-wise.

4) I (still) think it will be called the rebirth of the real iBook... possibly adding "Newton Edition" to the mix just for nostalgia sake.

5) last but not least is the price point for these ?iBooks?. I actually think that Apple is going to surprise us with this most of all, in that they will be ?very? affordable, and not much more expensive than an iPod Touch right now. It will be treated for the first time ever (by Apple anyway), as a ?micro-payment service enabler?, which might be at only slightly more than cost, due to the eco-system already in place and ramping up to make back the difference in a short period of time.

Sorry for the long post. Interested in coming back to see what others think... and after the device is released to see if any of my opinions were possibly right(?!)

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah.
  • Reply 116 of 176
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Some people don't want to admit it. Some people fear change. Some people just disagree. But Apple is all about change. 1984 is no longer the key battle ground. Sure, Apple may take marketshare away from Windows. May even get into the 11-15% marketshare in the next few years. However, look at where Windows is in the 'true' Mobile arena. And? They're nowhere. Where are Apple? They're no.1, at the top and look set to consolidate and stretch their lead with the iSlate.

Lemon Bon Bon.

Word to this. Its the bigger picture that counts. Of course we all know Mac os x, the desktop version, is going to be in professional set-ups for more years. But honestly i could see an iphone type of os on my professional machine too. And i think we are heading there.
  • Reply 117 of 176
    Quote:

Yeah. I think Mactripper is spot on. He's shrewdly pointing out the inevitable.

Inevitable? You think it’s inevitable that Apple will eventually ditch Darwin, OS X and Cocoa for something better or that Apple, Macs, OS X will no longer exist at all at some point? That is “spot on” thinking to you and not simply basic logic of everything tangible that has ever existed and will ever exist in this world?

If you read his posts he’s stated that Apple has stopped developing OS X for the Mac and is only focusing on the iPhone platform. That is not true. He gives no reasons as to how, why or why this change will come. It’s just a pessimistic rant stating, “Steve Jobs doesn’t care about Mac people”, nothing more.

It’s like saying, “The 21.5” iMac sucks! Apple gonna stop selling them.” Guess what, eventually I’ll be right.

Quote:

May even get into the 11-15% marketshare in the next few years.

For Apple to get 11-15% marketshare will require a change to their business model. They’re already getting a huge portion of the operating profits from the PC market and will have to do one or more of three things in order to increase marketshare once they’ve saturated a market segment:
    1) sell cheaper PCs, with less profit, thus move more product and let volume increase profit. This is a slippery slope as it’s easy to drop a price but not to raise it and if your cheaper product also gets associated with a cheapened brand you destroy your sales for the upper tier of the brand. You either step softly to expand the market to the larger bottom on the pyramid or you create a new brand that doesn’t affect your top end.

2) move into new markets or market segments. If you are referring to countries this may mean cheaper products if the countries are poorer or different designs to adapt to cultural differences. For the Mac, this could be developing a machine for the business sector. However, this would mean a very different Mac than what Apple offers now and would likely have limited success without the licensing of the OS.

3) divisify their product category more than the boutique-like setup they now employ.
    Quote:

However, look at where Windows is in the 'true' Mobile arena. And? They're nowhere. Where are Apple? They're no.1, at the top and look set to consolidate and stretch their lead with the iSlate.

They are #1 socially, with many internet usage stats and perating profits but Nokia still sells more handsets and gets more revenue than Apple’s iPhone. Since your previous sentence was about marketshare it seems unlikely that you were talking about anything other than marketshare, of which they aren’t even #2 for the worldwide market.

Quote:

And yes, the iPhone looks and feels 21st century. The Mac is still stuck in 1984 in many ways.

Snow Leopard and current Mac HW reminds you of 1994? You’ll have to explain that logic to us.

Quote:

Given the choice between sitting uncomfortably at an iMac or slouching with an iSlate...which would I choose to do most of the 'lazy' computing tasks? eg web, dvd, light emailing, games?

You think Apple’s tablet will have a DVD player in it? Maybe you need to look toward the future and not the past a little more.

Quote:

It's an iSlate with a box of chocs on the sofa. All ends up. 'Couch potato' computing the 3rd great computing era is upon us.

“Couch potato” computing doesn’t equate to your typical user’s overall needs. It’s like an iPhone or netbook. It has it’s place but a real computer, with a robust and versatile OS with a real keyboard is still going to be the norm for many, many years until there is a paradigm change in the way we input data. So far, I’ve seen no multi-touch solution that will initiate that change.
  • Reply 118 of 176
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The thing about summarily dismissing desktop OS X as old and busted is that there are still quite a few "computing" functions that are easier to do with bigger, fixed screens, full sized keyboards, and granular control over processes and file systems.

The iPhone looks and acts like it does because that's the best way to handle computing functionality on a very small screen with limited hardware resources, not because Apple has decided that all computers are too complicated and need to be pared down. It follows that while the iPhone is great for certain tasks, it fails utterly for other, more O/I intensive programs.

While I don't doubt that certain UI conventions will migrate from the iPhone to desktop OS X, or that OS X will see further iterations that tailor it for other, non-desktop hardware, there's no reason to think that even semi-serious video editing, photo editing, 3D modeling, sound editing, web design, graphics layout, presentation creation, database creation and editing, long form text editing, etc., etc. are going to magically be rendered trivial because of some touch gestures and non-user facing file systems.

I suppose you can argue that the future of computing is away from such content creation and towards the kind of casual consumption that requires little more than a pointing device and an icon, but that's a different idea than "computers are too complicated and will become more iPhone like." It's like saying that easel painting is too complicated, what with all the brushes and pigments and techniques, so that henceforth fine art will consist of casual cutting and pasting or finger paints. You're just redefining "computing" downwards to suit an idea of simplicity, rather than thinking through what might actually be involved with doing complex, interrelated tasks which require a great deal of fine grained control and sophisticated file structures. I haven't seen anything yet from the iPhone OS that suggest it is suited, or is being groomed for being suited, to that kind of computing.

EDIT: and what Solipsism said
  • Reply 119 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well Apple did try this before. In fact you can get a Newton for 56.05 plus tax if you want one.

http://www.recycledgoods.com/27030_A...0OS%202.0.html

Don't wait too long they are shipping the nicest ones first....

I am not sure Apple wanted to jump back into the market with a Tablet until they were sure they could at least make a good one this time around.

Uh, no. I bought a Newton back in the day, and it never did any of these things. For all intents and purposes, it was nothing more than an overgrown PDA. Now, that was something new back then, but when Palm beat Apple on form factor and cost, the Newton was history.
  • Reply 120 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Alpha and theta waves...

My double-secret inside source says we'll have to write our requests on a piece of paper, place it inside an envelope, then hold it up to our forehead while the computer guesses the content of the envelope calling on an exciting new advanced quantum entanglement fuzzy logic engine that runs on sweat beads.