Apple's tablet interface said to 'surprise,' Jobs pleased

Comments

• Reply 141 of 176
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Guys, do you really want to talk about religion?

Take it here AppleOutsider

... and KEEP IT THERE!
  • Reply 142 of 176
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Guys, do you really want to talk about religion?

Take it here AppleOutsider

... and KEEP IT THERE!

It is off topic and I?ll comment on it no longer, but most of the comments were about the terms and stats, not specifically about religion itself.
  • Reply 143 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

EDIT: The Mac OS certainly reminds me of 1994. Actually, 1984. The "desktop" GUI method is tired, old, and cumbersome. The iPhone OS shows us a new way to be nearly as productive... and that's on a phone! The iTab OS will be even more full-featured.

Yes, I meant 1984. Typo.

I don?t see how the desktop OS method " is tired, old, and cumbersome.? The iPhone OS only works for a small multitouch UI. It?s ideal for that but try only using it for all communication and you?ll wish you had your Mac. I bought a netbook simply because i wanted a ?physical" keyboard for certain tasks.

If you have a new paradigm in mind for desktop commuting then I suggest you patent it. I don?t see the keyboard going away from PCs anytime soon. I think multi-touch displays that are upright are a novelty with very limited practical use for consumers. I?d rather have a non-multi-touch display, physical keyboard, and a mutli-touch trackpad that spans the entire width of the notebook with a visual output when needed. This will give me the best of both worlds. There are many apps that simply don?t work well with a point-and-click method, but most due, so having a hybrid system seems to me to be the best solution.
  • Reply 144 of 176
    I've decided. For me, it comes down to two possible names.

If it exists, it'll be either (1) The all-new Apple iBook, or (2) The Apple iBook touch.

This will be my last bit of speculation on the name until 2010.
  • Reply 145 of 176
    Quote:

And I would also hate to do any serious professional work on a touch-based OS. However, for 90% of us, 90% of the time, a simple touch-based OS will be quicker/easier/better. There will be a big division between Consumer and Professional.

This kind of statement always gets my attention. How do you decide what kind of work is "serious professional" and what is the other kind (non-serious amateur)? Different professions have different needs, but they are all just as "serious."

Lest you think otherwise, I'm not trying to be pedantic. For years as a Mac user, I was told that the Mac was not a computer for "serious" work, and I heard the same thing again from many Mac users when I adopted iWork instead of Office. People tend to define what they do as being serious, and what others do as being somehow less serious. This kind of thinking has a way of blinding them to the reasons why others choose to buy different products than they do.

This will be something to keep in mind when Apple's tablet comes out. It's probably not going to be the product for everybody, but it will suit some very well. We can count on a great many saying that if they don't want it, nobody should.
  • Reply 146 of 176
    Forget writing. Why not intergrate some sort of dragon naturally speaking, only Apple version. That would be a home run. Then they can see the software for all our other devices.

Now that would be cool.

Peace.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

There are a few things that will make or break this device.

1) Will it run a full version of OS X, iPhone/iPod Touch OS or a hybrid.

I can see advantages to all of them, but for my use, an iPhone/iPod Touch only only would be rather limited. But who knows.

2) Price

If it is an amazing piece of hardware, but the price is $1799 (like the MacBook Air was when it came out), it will have a very slow adoption rate regardless of how amazing it is. I would love to see a tablet, but like all Apple hardware, beware of the first version.

3) Handwriting

Hopefully they have nailed the handwriting recognition or at least closed the gap. The Newton was an great piece of hardware towards the end, but in the initial versions, the handwriting recognition was off and it was crucified because of it.

I would LOVE to see Apple really hit a home run with this device. I could see a $799 tablet that is a slimmed down MacBook really amaze, but worry that the device will become a niche item if it is priced in the same ballpark as a MacBook Pro.

• Reply 147 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Forget writing. Why not intergrate some sort of dragon naturally speaking, only Apple version. That would be a home run. Then they can see the software for all our other devices.

Now that would be cool.

I hope that Apple does what Kindle did and supply free cellular connections for specific tasks. This way subscribed periodicals could be downloaded (using the Push Notification Server) when they become available and dictation could work as fast and effectively as Dragon on the iPhone.

I don?t expect any of that to occur.
  • Reply 148 of 176
    And while many will say the labels caught on to late. A lot of artists were hurt. You see they depend on mechanicals, that is, the sale of the hard pressed cd and as an artist, they only got 11-15% of each, not much, but artists lost a lot if money, more then the labels.

But at least as a consumer your nit stuck with filler music or forced heavy rotation which many times turns a nit so hot song, inti a hit song by hearing it over and over. On that note, the one hit wonders, well if they played their cards right, they still get a decent royalty check each quarter. But no more mechanical sales, which made some artists upset.

The times we live in. Strange indeed.

Peace.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by davesmall View Post

iTunes has been such a huge hit that it has changed the music industry forever. The keys to that success were the unbundling of individual songs from a CD (not having to buy the entire CD); easy access over the Internet; and $1 per song pricing making it an easy purchase decision for most buyers.

The iPhone and iPod Touch have been huge hits. The cell phone industry is changed forever. The keys to those successes are the slick user interface and the amazing online App Store with 100,000 plus Apps to download most at very low prices or free. There are many imitators but none have been very successful to date mainly because of the App store scale and momentum. Competitors can match hardware features but they can't deliver the software which is what really makes it work.

Will the iPad or iTablet do the same for publishing? I think it may if Apple can convince publishers to price their products low enough. The low price per song and the low average price per app were crucial for the other products delivered via iTunes.

There is no question that Apple will deliver a beautifully designed device with user friendly interface. I think it will be more attractively priced than most pundits are predicting. Apple will also take care of distribution most likely charging publishers just 30% of the sales price (much less than their costs of printing and physical distribution especially for glossy magazines). Publishers will have the opportunity to reinvigorate their businesses so long as they don't get too greedy on pricing. They need to be thinking about a business model change from low volume/high price to high volume/low price. If they do that, I believe it will work out for them.

The same comments on pricing apply to the TV and Movie content providers. They are being offered a opportunity that they can blow with high pricing. I think they've already done that with movie pricing on iTunes.

• Reply 149 of 176
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Your talking to a ex-PowerMac G5 owner that bought into the Rubenstein video and can no longer run future versions of OS X anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnEbPm8mATQ

Chuckles .... the ultimate slap in the face insult to the PPC is the current Mini now Geek bench's higher than the last quad G5.

If IBM had only followed through in developing the high performance desktop chips. Where would we be now? Certainly the switch to Intel has changed the landscape in all manner of ways.

Lets just hope this new device whatever it is has a smoother start than the ill fated Newton.
  • Reply 150 of 176
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This kind of statement always gets my attention. How do you decide what kind of work is "serious professional" and what is the other kind (non-serious amateur)? Different professions have different needs, but they are all just as "serious."

Lest you think otherwise, I'm not trying to be pedantic. For years as a Mac user, I was told that the Mac was not a computer for "serious" work, and I heard the same thing again from many Mac users when I adopted iWork instead of Office. People tend to define what they do as being serious, and what others do as being somehow less serious. This kind of thinking has a way of blinding them to the reasons why others choose to buy different products than they do.

This will be something to keep in mind when Apple's tablet comes out. It's probably not going to be the product for everybody, but it will suit some very well. We can count on a great many saying that if they don't want it, nobody should.

Well stated. I agree 100%.
  • Reply 151 of 176
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Isn't this more to do with music label's business methodology, rather than Apple screwing over artists? The Music Labels, while doing very little, take the lion's share of the revenue of music sales.

Maybe it's time for the iTunes Music Store to be the label. Make some deals with radio stations/MTV/VH1 (haha) for publicity of the up-and-coming hits. Or simply feature them on iPod commercial (seriously, this has created some big sales for those lucky artists). Take a 30% cut, instead of a 85-89% cut.

If the music industry thinks they've been raked over the coals by Apple, they haven't seen nothing yet...

What you and the others have said about this makes sense, but it is straying off topic.
  • Reply 152 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chintan100 View Post

If Jobs is pleased, i can safely bet that we all will be very pleased...

I hope Jobs didn't get soft over the past few months and is really on his A-game. I hope that over the last several months he was screaming his head off and making is people cry like they haven't cried before.

Since he was probably too weak to do it himself I'm hoping that at least he had his imperial guard whip his staff (the lazy slackards) into working harder.

If he did all that then I can be comforted into believing that the product turned out all right.
  • Reply 153 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Thats really nice the only thing it needs is an upgrade to wireless N.

See, this is why I hoped Jobs was kicking butt on their tablet. Look at this notion ink device. It's awesome! If you had told me this was the apple tablet I would have believed you.

Do you all think that the Apple device is as good as this one or even better?
  • Reply 154 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

See, this is why I hoped Jobs was kicking butt on their tablet. Look at this notion ink device. It's awesome! If you had told me this was the apple tablet I would have believed you.

This is a mockup and I question the specs I listed. I think we?ll have to wait until January 7th to get a real idea of what Notion has created.

I do agree that it does have an Apple-like design in many regards, but that is only the HW and we?ve seen more than few times great HW engineering make a lackluster product due to a poor OS and UI. I expect Apple?s tablet to revolutionize the way a tablet UI works. A touch-based version of Win7 or slightly altered version of Android simply won?t cut it.
  • Reply 155 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This is a mockup and I question the specs I listed. I think we?ll have to wait until January 7th to get a real idea of what Notion has created.

I do agree that it does have an Apple-like design in many regards, but that is only the HW and we?ve seen more than few times great HW engineering make a lackluster product due to a poor OS and UI. I expect Apple?s tablet to revolutionize the way a tablet UI works. A touch-based version of Win7 or slightly altered version of Android simply won?t cut it.

Agreed. But don't underestimate the importance of the hardware design. Apple uses software to sell hardware remember?
  • Reply 156 of 176
    Quote:

Those thin beveled edges would feel pretty sharp after holding them and brushing up against them over the course of a year. For a larger form factor to work, it has to be ergonomic. That means making sure human dimensions and considerations are included in the industrial design phase.
  • Reply 157 of 176
    Quote:

Agreed. But don't underestimate the importance of the hardware design. Apple uses software to sell hardware remember?

I think you've got your reasoning inverted. Apple tries to mate form and function, but without function, form is meaningless. Anybody can make an object.
  • Reply 158 of 176
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

For those of us old enough to remember...

kept in a mayonnaise jar outside Funk & Wagnalls' porch since noon today
  • Reply 159 of 176
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Those thin beveled edges would feel pretty sharp after holding them and brushing up against them over the course of a year. For a larger form factor to work, it has to be ergonomic. That means making sure human dimensions and considerations are included in the industrial design phase.

I'm sorry but that notion ink device looks pretty darn ergonomic to me. And I doubt those edges would be sharp once you hold it in your hand. But, I'll reserve judgement till CES. The competition can't just sit there like retards and let Apple steal yet another market segment. They are going to come out guns blazin at CES you just watch!
  • Reply 160 of 176
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

I think you've got your reasoning inverted. Apple tries to mate form and function, but without function, form is meaningless. Anybody can make an object.

No, that is MY design theory. I'm sure that is Apple's as well. But publicly Apple says that they use software to sell hardware.