Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain

Comments

• Reply 61 of 171
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Thename means nothing if the device sucks- look at the AppleTV originally called the iTV.
  • Reply 62 of 171
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Naming products isn't all that easy, you have to appeal to your market and at the same time have something trademarkable. Just look at all the problems MS has had with the word Windows.

I don't personally like the name Slate or iSlate for that matter, but I think Apple could get it to appeal to the marketplace. Like others I'd like to see them revive Newton in some manner. I never owned the original but the name conjures up images of intelligence and enlightenment. Slate doesn't really do that and leaves one with a primitive taste in ones mouth.

As to the name of the device coming next year I simply don't know. I will point out though that the registration is very old now. It could have been a totally different product that never made it out of the labs. Of course it CoulD be the tablet but we won't know until next year. More interesting to me at this moment is how many other companies this Regina Porter is involved in. Because there are a number of naming possibilities and potential future products.

Dave
  • Reply 63 of 171
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I am tired of waiting for Apple's iSlate, so I made my own:

It has a killer UI, the display is easily legible in direct sunlight, and the device has been extensively field tested to ensure there are no nasty defects for the user to discover - unlike products made by Apple. The CPU it uses is the product of over 3.5 million years of improvement via natural selection and is currently the most powerful processor on the planet. It boots instantaneously, is low cost, has a 5 star energy rating and will still be functioning long after everything made by Apple, with the same name, is landfill.

Frankly, I think I am on to a winner. It can't fail.

Wow, Chalko-touch!

This iSlate be in the shape of iSuperman badge
  • Reply 64 of 171
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    The tablet will be called 'Mac touch' and that's the end of it.

So stick your iSlate in your iEye and watch your iSight go iByeBye.
  • Reply 65 of 171
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Does the nomenclature really make a difference to anyone? As long as a product does what I need it to do at a price I find reasonable I don’t care if they call it a TeckStudStone.
  • Reply 66 of 171
    So what if they don't own the url? They don't own a lot of the domain names named after some of their most important products, and they own domain names of non-products. I really think it will be named * iBook Touch *
  • Reply 67 of 171
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does the nomenclature really make a difference to anyone? As long as a product does what I need it to do at a price I find reasonable I don’t care if they call it a TeckStudStone or ExtremeSkaterPad.

missing or deleted electronic blips

i mean dude they completely wiped TS from this board

like stalin did

every post he ever made is ..

well was never ....

or did not ever exist .. or did he exist and ..and then did not exist ,

do you miss him ?? HE was your arch rival you know . you two would go after each other across the whole web ! you did tty to make up with him I remember . and he spurned you . i think he was spurning himself .

oh boy and now you evoke his past ghost .. damn i also miss him but the forum except for some baby trolls is much nicer place to post .

yes blue slate was and is used on school chalkboards and city side walks

hence the term ""a clean slate ""

merry xmas dude i hope your feeling better today

peace and love

• Reply 68 of 171
    Why do some of you (like, two of you) think "iBook" makes any sense for a gadget that does not have two sides or folds closed?

This is a completely new form factor for Apple. It should have a completely new name.

I'm not crazy about "iSlate" or "Slate" or "Magic Slate," but at least it makes a bit of sense. And it's no worse than "iPod." I mean, I still don't know what the hell a pod is.
  • Reply 69 of 171
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Statement of what? Unfortunately, it means nothing at all to the iPod generation. Will more likely provoke a reaction of 'huh'?

newton would be perfect

error type 11
  • Reply 70 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i mean dude they completely wiped TS from this board

like stalin did

every post he ever made is ..

well was never ....

or did not ever exist .. or did he exist and ..and then did not exist

Typically when a poster is removed like that his posts are still there but only the admins can see them. It?s a global ignore list in vBulletin called Tachy Goes To Coventry that is slightly different from the personal ignore list since you can?t even see the placeholder for the post. You know if it has been invoked when you see an extra page for posts when there aren?t enough posts shown to create that page.

This does not mean that he still can?t post under his name, a poster sent to Coventry isn?t necessarily banned from using his account, but he may wonder why he isn?t getting responses and if checks the page from an account not logged in with his name he?ll notice that his posts don?t show up. I think his user name also states he?s in Coventry if he checks his profile status.

I?m not sure if there is a way to delete a user in vBeulletin and remove all their posts from the server.
  • Reply 71 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The tablet will be called 'Mac touch' and that's the end of it.

So stick your iSlate in your iEye and watch your iSight go iByeBye.

There are several reasons it won't be "Mac Touch", despite your aspirations.

First of all, it won't be a Mac. It will run a modified version of the iPhone OS, which will be called "OS X" by Apple, but will be far more akin to the iPhone OS. It will run iPhone apps natively.

If it doesn't run the same OS X that Macs run, it won't be "Mac" anything.

Secondly, it won't end in "Touch" because that will cause too much confusion with the iPod Touch (which the majority of people stupidly call the iTouch). I see a small possibility of Touch-something, like "Touch Pro" or "TouchBook".

That said, I also think it iNomenclature is too old to keep pushing. It's run it's course, or it should have. I can't believe Steve thinks different(ly) about that. That's why I don't like "iSlate" and I would prefer the "Apple Slate".

"Newton" would not be a bad choice, as it does draw on the idea of "the idea" as well as something sophisticated and scientific. And unlike iBook, the old Newton is so far dead that it's unlikely anyone will be confusing the new and old products.

Or...

It could be something totally unexpected, like iPod was. Something that won't have as much chance of being a trademark issue. Like the Apple Whiteboard or the Apple Ideaboard or something equally as unappealing to some as iPod was to many at the time of its launch.
  • Reply 72 of 171
    Quote:

Typically when a poster is removed like that his posts are still there but only the admins can see them. It?s a global ignore list in vBulletin called Tachy Goes To Coventry that is slightly different from the personal ignore list since you can?t even see the placeholder for the post. You know if it has been invoked when you see an extra page for posts when there aren?t enough posts shown to create that page.

This does not mean that he still can?t post under his name, a poster sent to Coventry isn?t necessarily banned from using his account, but he may wonder why he isn?t getting responses and if checks the page from an account not logged in with his name he?ll notice that his posts don?t show up. I think his user name also states he?s in Coventry if he checks his profile status.

I?m not sure if there is a way to delete a user in vBeulletin and remove all their posts from the server.

I'm certain teckstud didn't receive a permanent ban for his infringements. It's more likely that he decided to remove the history of his account from the board, and asked the admins to take care of it. He may be here in another form, or he may return to lurk silently. But for whatever reason, he no longer wants it to be known that he's here.
  • Reply 73 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Records show that Apple has owned the iSlate.com domain name since 2007, indicating a possible name for the company's much-rumored tablet device.

I can't recall an Apple product that did not get knocked for its name, particularly in the last 10 years.

And in the end, it wasn't the name that was 'stupid', it was the people that said so.

__________________________________________________ ___

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

Meaning What matters is what something is, not what it is called.

Origin From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, 1594:
    JULIET:

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;

Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.

What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,

Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part

Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!

What's in a name? that which we call a rose

By any other name would smell as sweet;

So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,

Retain that dear perfection which he owes

Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,

And for that name which is no part of thee

Take all myself.

• Reply 74 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I'm certain teckstud didn't receive a permanent ban for his infringements. It's more likely that he decided to remove the history of his account from the board, and asked the admins to take care of it. He may be here in another form, or he may return to lurk silently. But for whatever reason, he no longer wants it to be known that he's here.

If he is hear he is keeping quiet. The last time he used a fake name his posting style was obvious immediately despite his attempts at subterfuge. All I know is that it?s been a lot more fun on these forums since he?s been away.
  • Reply 75 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I can't recall an Apple product that did not get knocked for its name, particularly in the last 10 years.

And in the end, it wasn't the name that was 'stupid', it was the people that said so.

__________________________________________________ _

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

[…]

I agree with your statement while having absolutely no appreciation for Shakespeare. I’ve tried, but it just bores the crap out of me to read or watch.
  • Reply 76 of 171
    iSlate...Yaba Daba DOOO!!
  • Reply 77 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

iSlate...Yaba Daba DOOO!!

FLINTSTOOOOOOOONE!!!! Why are you on AI!!! .....

Doesn't Apple know the Slate name and moniker dates back to the pre-historic era!?!

iSee another patent lawsuit coming

All jokes aside, iHeard of the name MAGIC SLATE too (Could tie into Magic Mouse) but hey what do iKnow .... Also people thought iPod was a crazy name..... Finally, I agree with Solipsism, if it has functionality and purpose then the name falls on the back burner.
  • Reply 78 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

Sounds plausible.

The device may need a game changing name to separate it from other tablets that are soon to appear. Since someone owns, and has heavily protected, the ISLATE name since 2006 with the various worldwide trademark offices and domain registries, it could likely be Apple.

If the courier appears to be real, then that looks like a game changer as many execs and students will flock to it. If that be the case, especially at the enterprise level, (exchane), I wonder what the islate will appeal to? iPhone game type of apps, sycnh with iLife or iCal.

Should be an intersting few months, especially if the courier is made and owned by Microsoft.

Peace.
  • Reply 79 of 171
    Quote:

All I know is that it?s been a lot more fun on these forums since he?s been away.

I agree. The only thing that would make it better is if people would stop talking about him or making fun of him, too.
  • Reply 80 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

I agree. The only thing that would make it better is if people would stop talking about him or making fun of him, too.

Point taken, though I don’t think my comment in post #61 was making fun of him so much as using hyperbole to make a clear point about a product name being unimportant if it fits my needs.

PS: There are at least 5 posts on this thread from a poster in Coventry.