Evidence points to Apple's ownership of iSlate.com domain

Comments

• Reply 141 of 171
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Is it just me, or is the rest of the industry about to cede the tablet market to Apple? It sure feels like it. The only one creating a sustained buzz is Apple. Apple releases a tablet-like device, consumers and the industry are in awe of it, it sells like crazy, everyone else follows suit by trying to copy it, etc.

I kind of feel bad for everyone that has to announce products at CES just to have them forgotten and causing them to scramble once Apple hold their event. If it?s just a demo it may even give Apple a leg up on some innovative coding idea that others will showcase at CES.
  • Reply 142 of 171
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think it would happen. A large tablet as a cellular phone seems illogical to me so I wouldn?t expect any cellular capabilities outside of data to be included.

Do you think it will have cellular data as standard or as an option? Will it be subsidized for those wanting to save $300 off the initial price? Will it be with AT&T, Verizon, or other? Will there be an internal card that can be added or removed to allow the device to work with various carriers or no carrier at all, somewhat like the original AirPort card in Macs being installed in the battery bay of PowerBooks?

In answer to your questions:

1. cellular data - hopefully a standard that you don't have to activate. but then if that were the case it would also have to have WiFi capability so that you could still use it as it was designed, albeit in a somewhat restricted fashion.

2. $300 subsidy - wouldn't that make the "initial" price somewhat misleading? But to answer your question, I don't know about that.

3. I'll have to combine the answer for your last two - hopefully one will be able to add an internal card that would let you choose the carrier of your choice or none at all if you intend to rely on the hopefully included WiFi capability.

I realize I am no expert. I got on this forum to ask questions and learn from the answers I get. Thanks for your help.
  • Reply 143 of 171
    Quote:

Is it just me, or is the rest of the industry about to cede the tablet market to Apple? It sure feels like it. The only one creating a sustained buzz is Apple. Apple releases a tablet-like device, consumers and the industry are in awe of it, it sells like crazy, everyone else follows suit by trying to copy it, etc.

It only feels like that on Apple forums. Currently HP, Dell, Asus, Sony and Fujitsu all make or have made tablets in the past. Currently they are 2-4% of the entire market. Even Apple has attempted this in the past with the Newton and it failed badly.

Until we know what this tablet has to offer its hard to say what impact if any it will have on the market. Right now we are all just guessing. One of the latest rumors is the tablet is only going to be 7 inches. So we have gone from 10 inches to 12 inches now back down to 7 inches.

Right now people are in awe because unlike reality their imagination has no limits.
  • Reply 144 of 171
    Quote:

That name was: Zune?

Knowing when you’re wrong is a sign of wisdom. It’s possible that the name wasn’t that bad and that it wold now be as iconic as iMac had they went with it. I don’t care for most of these names being thrown out, but I also don’t care what it’s call so long as it’s a product I want and need.

Here is an interesting article about Steve Jobs seeing Jeff Bezo’s Segway. It gives some good insights into the Jobs personality and him as a visionary.

I am also curious about what S.J. wanted to name the iMac. Given his talent, etc., I wonder if the name would have been a detriment to iMac sales if S.J. hadn't listened to Ken Segall?
  • Reply 145 of 171
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

It only feels like that on Apple forums. Currently HP, Dell, Asus, Sony and Fujitsu all make or have made tablets in the past. Currently they are 2-4% of the entire market. Even Apple has attempted this in the past with the Newton and it failed badly.

Only on Apple forums? I see hundreds, if not thousands of investment related blogs discussing an unannounced, unspecified and nameless product as THE game changing device and the funeral bell for all the Kindles, Nooks, etc. - even netbooks. Nobody can create such an amount of buzz without even hinting at a product announcement. I know at least 20 people (only 2 or 3 of them die-hard Mac addicts) that have canned the purchase of an eBook reader until they can see what Apple will offer. MS even went as far as releasing a fictional 3D video of their concept. For how long were blogs discussing it? Not even a week.

While most of this is completely out of proportion... there are two facts that can't be ignored: 1. Apple is the only player that got multi-touch right (with only the niche player Palm getting reasonably close). 2. They have an international distribution channel for content that absolutely no other player can match, a huge installed base of iTunes with real subscribers with real credit cards spending real money and willing to pay for content. If they get it right (product and price point), they will take the number one spot within a few months and nobody has got a chance to get in the way.

Most existing tablets are underpowered notebooks at lunatic price points. Too bulky for casual use, bad value for the money, no custom tailored applications and content (just desktop stuff forced into a different usage scenario). The past market acceptance is not necessarily a valid indicator for a product that gets it right. Neither HP, Dell, Asus, Sony nor Fujitsu do really understand content delivery. MS could get it right, if they would leave the phase of internal competition behind... but without a management change, this will not happen.
  • Reply 146 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

i searched for TS and cannot see him anywhere

he was on here for a little while this morning. I saw him listed in the active users.
  • Reply 147 of 171
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

Is it just me, or is the rest of the industry about to let Apple run away with the tablet market? It sure feels like it. The only one creating a sustained buzz is Apple. Apple releases a tablet-like device, consumers and the industry are in awe of it, it sells like crazy, everyone else follows suit by trying to copy it, etc.

This is what annoys the hell out of me when comes to the rest of the tech INDUSTRY. Is everyone retarded besides Apple when it comes to industrial design for consumer electronics? I mean seriously!

My suspicion is that some competitor out there is about to lay the smackdown on Apple when CES begins. If not then I will be extremely disappointed. And if Apple does indeed runs away with this then the tech industry will get what it deserves.
  • Reply 148 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Why do some of you (like, two of you) think "iBook" makes any sense for a gadget that does not have two sides or folds closed?

THANK YOU. Amen. It will never be "iBook" (for the above reason).

Scratch "iSlate" too. Does not flow off the tongue well, and sounds way too much like "isolate," although "Apple Slate" (with the Apple symbol) would work well, IMO. Also, for those stuck on the "Pad" or "Touch" names, why not have the best of both worlds: the Apple "Touch Pad."

Personally speaking, Touch Pad ftw
  • Reply 149 of 171
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Touch pad? Otherwise known as a Trackpad? Think it through man.
  • Reply 150 of 171
    I think they have worked out a deal with Mead, and it will be the iTrapperKeeper.
  • Reply 151 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soward View Post

I think they have worked out a deal with Mead, and it will be the iTrapperKeeper.

ROFL!! Well played.
  • Reply 152 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cranky View Post

In answer to your questions:

1. cellular data - hopefully a standard that you don't have to activate. but then if that were the case it would also have to have WiFi capability so that you could still use it as it was designed, albeit in a somewhat restricted fashion.

There seems to be five distinct ways they can go here.

1) WiFi only. (This would limit its usefulness for many)

2) WiFi + proprietary internal port for different carrier?s proprietary data cards. (I think it?s unlikely to go to that much trouble but it?s still a technical possibility even if extremely unlikely)

3) WiFi + paid for cellular data (This would limit its availability to many due to an increased TCO if contract is required while also limiting usefulness for those without a good cellular data connection for a specific mobile network operator. Unless they offer multiple HW versions this likely limits the carrier options)

4) WiFi + included cellular data (akin to the Kindle?s cellular data for subscription updates and iTS purchases but no internet access)

5) WiFi + included cellular data + option for paid for cellular data with included card (This is the combo I want, this way you can buy the product outright and get a data plan if needed without having to make an other HW investment)

Quote:

2. $300 subsidy - wouldn't that make the "initial" price somewhat misleading? But to answer your question, I don't know about that.

But it does make the initial price easier for many to swallow. If you aren?t going to get any other discount from your mobile network operator then you might as well take discount, even if it requires a contract since until Verizon upped their prices the cost or cancelation was less than the discount for the 3G data cards (at leas the last one I bought from AT&T).

Quote:

All the tablets I?ve used over the years have been horrible. They?ve all used a desktop version of Windows for the OS so I can understand why the uptake was always low. Look at the cellular market to see the smartphone market increasing in popularity specifically because of Apple?s emergence with a UI designed around the HW and the user, not trying to mimic a desktop OS like MS did with WinMo/CE.

The first newton went on sale over 16 years ago and stopped selling almost 12 years ago when Jobs, the one who is rumoured to have finally ?OK?d" this mythical tablet, put an end to the line. I see nothing that suggests that history will repeat itself, which seems to be what you are implying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Only on Apple forums? I see hundreds, if not thousands of investment related blogs discussing an unannounced, unspecified and nameless product as THE game changing device and the funeral bell for all the Kindles, Nooks, etc. - even netbooks.

Even my father mentioned Apple?s stock jump this week based on an unannounced product. If he?s hearing about a rumoured Apple product then I have to expect that indigenous natives of the Amazon who have never seen modern man are well aware of this rumour, too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

THANK YOU. Amen. It will never be "iBook" (for the above reason).

Scratch "iSlate" too. Does not flow off the tongue well, and sounds way too much like "isolate," although "Apple Slate" (with the Apple symbol) would work well, IMO. Also, for those stuck on the "Pad" or "Touch" names, why not have the best of both worlds: the Apple "Touch Pad."

There are plenty of eReaders with the word ?Book? in them so I don?t think that saying ?never? should be used. I don?t think that the term ?Mac? can be used without having it use Mac OS X and have access to all Mac apps. I don?t think that it should use any thing with a lowercase ?i? unless it will fit in your pocket. I think starting with ?Apple" is the most likely nomenclature at this time if we must assume it will follow current convention.
  • Reply 153 of 171
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Didn't mean to imply that he would be turned off by it, only acknowledging the possibility. And yes, as you say he is a smart guy for surrounding himself with bright people. Thankfully he lets them do thier job as you pointed out below with regards to the iMac.

QUOTE - It was Ken Segall from Apple marketing that named the "iMac" despite Jobs objections. In fact, jobs had a different name for the iMac that he insisted would be the name. It was so terrible that Ken had to plead and make his case for it to be the iMac. The old name was so embarrassingly stupid that up till now the old name wasn't released to the public. At least I don't know it. I guess Steve doesn't want to be embarrassed.[/

QUOTE - I just hope similar wisdom is being used to name this new product as well.

I hope so also.

The way everyone on these boards has been "screaming" for this device to happen it would almost be appropriate to name it iScream, i.e. I scream, you scream, we all scream for iScream !
  • Reply 154 of 171
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    iSlate is not the tablet. The tablet will be called MacTablet the iSlate will be the new touch keyboard/input device we've been hearing about.
  • Reply 155 of 171
    Quote:

All the tablets I?ve used over the years have been horrible. They?ve all used a desktop version of Windows for the OS so I can understand why the uptake was always low. Look at the cellular market to see the smartphone market increasing in popularity specifically because of Apple?s emergence with a UI designed around the HW and the user, not trying to mimic a desktop OS like MS did with WinMo/CE.

The first newton went on sale over 16 years ago and stopped selling almost 12 years ago when Jobs, the one who is rumoured to have finally ?OK?d" this mythical tablet, put an end to the line. I see nothing that suggests that history will repeat itself, which seems to be what you are implying.

You have no clue if history is going to repeat itself because we don't know what Apple is going to release. Apple could release something with the iPhone OS on it which wouldn't give many a reason to buy it. Also we don't know the size or cost of the Tablet which are both major factors.

Many were hyped that Apple was going to release something smaller then the Macbook and had been asking for an ultra portable for years and all Apple did was release something that was thinner which wasn't what most were looking for in an ultra portable.

Right now we have nothing more then hype and rumor.
  • Reply 156 of 171
    Quote:

There seems to be five distinct ways they can go here.

5) WiFi + included cellular data + option for paid for cellular data with included card (This is the combo I want, this way you can buy the product outright and get a data plan if needed without having to make an other HW investment)

This is the one I like the best. It would be the most versatile and could go along way towards further solidifying Apple's rep for customer satisfaction.
  • Reply 157 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

The way everyone on these boards has been "screaming" for this device to happen it would almost be appropriate to name it iScream, i.e. I scream, you scream, we all scream for iScream !

• Reply 158 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

So, are we all going with "iPad"? Because I've settled in my mind that that particular name would be acceptable.

I've changed my mind from what I said in post #136 because as someone else said in another post, either on this thread or another, iPad = Tampon. Not a parallel S. J. would want drawn.
  • Reply 159 of 171
    Quote:

You have no clue if history is going to repeat itself because we don't know what Apple is going to release. Apple could release something with the iPhone OS on it which wouldn't give many a reason to buy it. Also we don't know the size or cost of the Tablet which are both major factors.

Right now we have nothing more then hype and rumor.

We don’t know but we can infer the likelihood of many things based on the history.

For starters, it won’t have iPhone OS on it because to simply plop the IPhone OS onto a tablet device that is much larger than 3.5”, has presumably more power and HW, thus allowing for more uses and needing frameworks and apps not in iPhone OS, nor altering the UI to accommodate the screen size and optimize for usability is something Apple has no history of doing.
  • Reply 160 of 171
    Quote:

I've changed my mind from what I said in post #136 because as someone else said in another post, either on this thread or another, iPad = Tampon. Not a parallel S. J. would want drawn.