Apple recruiting talent for iWork's transition to the cloud

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A December job posting by Apple could indicate an increased emphasis on cloud-based aspects of applications like iWork.

In a potential signal that Apple plans on introducing a fully collaborative cloud-based version of iWork, a job posting revealed that Apple is looking for a software engineer well versed in browser technology, scalable internet applications and word processing development.

TechCrunch noted that on its CrunchBoard job board, Apple posted the following job description:

The Productivity team (i.e. iWork) is seeking an energetic, highly motivated software engineer in building a scalable rich internet application. The person will be part of the core development team and engage in an area from design to development of the software system.

Besides exceptional programming skills and devotion to creating great software, we look for one or more of the following kinds of expertise or experience:

? JavaScript language and browser technology - understanding from inside-out, or

? Computer graphics - the mathematics, algorithms and programming, or

? Experience developing scalable rich internet application, or

? Experience developing presentation/collaboration or word processing projects

BS or better in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering

"What caught our eye on this one is the language around building an application, from design to development. That suggests something different than just joining the existing team. Apple is putting together a whole new team, for a new project, and they need outside expertise," notes TechCrunch.

Apple has already started to incorporate cloud computing concepts into its iWork suite with the introduction of iWork.com in January of 2009. It allowed users to upload iWork '09 documents onto the web for online viewing, comments, and notes.

Apple has also made preparations for a large push into the cloud computing arena. This summer, Apple selected a site for its $1 billion server farm, a project that many believe is intended to power a giant cloud computing operation.

MobileMe was Apple's initial foray into the cloud, delivering push e-mail, contacts, and calendars to handheld devices and computers via the internet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    It better be free. iWork is short on features and overpriced to begin with.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    Apple's work with scripting frameworks (between SproutCore, Gianduia, PastryKit, TuneKit, Coherent etc. and building RIAs is pretty interesting, so it is good to see more resources being devoted in this direction.

It will be interesting to see what the produce. I certainly think we can do better than Google docs.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    801801 Posts: 271member
    Let me get this straight......OK?

Apple has how many employees?

And they cannot hire for this job within?

Or, did they post it internally, as per most company's HR requirements, and no one wanted it?

Or,

Do they have to post it externally, while posting for it internally, wherein it is already filled by someone who was promised the job?

So, they are posting for a job that is already filled, giving themselves a marketing disadvantage, or no one internally wants.

Or am I off base here?

Explain.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    It is so very hard to get a foot in the door when everyone else is already in the room. Cloud based word processing is still new. Now is the time to do this. I think it's great.

And how many employees Apple has isn't really the issue. They each have assigned tasks. We all saw what happened when the iPhone deadline was nearing. OSX development was postponed so the iPhone could release on time. What Apple has is stretched thin, regardless of the number. Apple needs to expand if this is to be a long-term effort. If Apple's investing a billion dollars in a NOC, then this is long-term thinking.
  • Reply 5 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

Or, did they post it internally, as per most company's HR requirements, and no one wanted it?

Or,

Do they have to post it externally, while posting for it internally, wherein it is already filled by someone who was promised the job?

So, they are posting for a job that is already filled, giving themselves a marketing disadvantage, or no one internally wants.

Or am I off base here?

Explain.

who knows, but companies only have so many employees to do so many tasks. i don't think it would be something that apple needs to keep secret, it's just some iwork stuff, not something so heavily copied and game-changing like the iphone.
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Absolutely love iWork. I'd be very interested to see where Apple takes it. This seems like a very progressive idea, but it's odd they couldn't hire from within.
  • Reply 7 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

iWork is unlikely to ever be free. but if this was an additional feature rather than a program you also have to pay for, that would be better.

My hope is that they aren't going to dump the desktop version. I personally have no interest in cloud computing. I want to be able to work on my own computer without my documents being forced to be on someone else's computer in any shape or form.

i actually wonder if perhaps a cloud option is worked on for use with devices that lack the same level of computing power as a full laptop or desktop. like maybe an iphone or a tablet
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

iWork is unlikely to ever be free. but if this was an additional feature rather than a program you also have to pay for, that would be better.

My hope is that they aren't going to dump the desktop version. I personally have no interest in cloud computing. I want to be able to work on my own computer without my documents being forced to be on someone else's computer in any shape or form.

i actually wonder if perhaps a cloud option is worked on for use with devices that lack the same level of computing power as a full laptop or desktop. like maybe an iphone or a tablet

Same here, regarding zero interest in cloud computing nonsense. Sometimes these large companies all start going in the wrong direction in parallel.
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Quote:

Or,

Or am I off base here?

Explain.

Ever hear of expansion? New jobs for new products.

I seriously doubt that any jobs at Apple are supernumerary enough to simply be vacated willy nilly to fill the new slot.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Quote:

Knock off the free crap. It'll most likely be rolled into MobileMe subscriptions.

And iWork isn't short on features, especially for its low price.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:

(post truncated)

If I recall correctly (and I really could be wrong since I am not an HR expert), California employment law stipulates that open positions must be advertised externally. So Apple can interview a handful of external candidates and safely say, "we're picking an internal candidate because they are the best fit for this team, blah blah blah."

That said, I believe that there is a push to turn iWork into a web service. Maybe for this phantom tablet, maybe because of Google Docs, but a lot of this mundane stuff is moving to the Web. Already, many consumers are happy using webmail services.

As always-on Internet connections (via cellular networking) proliferates, the necessity for a standalone, offline client declines. Yes, there will always be places where there is no networking available, but newer web technologies seem to be understanding this limitation.

A cached mode iWork client for a tablet-type device might be in the works.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:

I think you're onto something there with your last comment.

The iSlate could access one's MobileMe account and create/edit iWork documents during one's train or bus commutes or via 3G/4G cellular access, while not having to have the computing power or local storage to run the app on the device.

One could also stream media content to the Slate from one's cloud account.

This could very well be the genius to the iSlate's design--to incorporate cloud computing and streaming to allow for the relative compactness and lower computing power of such a device.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    Quote:

t r o l l a l e r t !
  • Reply 14 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Note that Google Docs is not free if you want the business-grade support. It’s $50/year per user. It does get plenty of business related services not offered by iWork, but iWork also has plenty of features that Google Apps doesn’t offer.
    I highly doubt that it will be free or that they will include more than a trial of iWork.com once the beta (started January 6th, 2009) has ended. I’ll also be surprised, pleasantly so, if they include a web-code version of Keynote that is good. Google Docs presentation app is pretty bad.

Quote:

I don’t disagree with it being overpriced for your needs, but saying that it better be free sounds like you are implying that it’s overpriced for everyone.

I don’t care for Google Docs limitations without simplicity and don’t need the power of MS Office or the limitations of the open source solutions. I need the easy to use Pages and Keynote. I see no other suite that fits my occasional needs as well as iWork.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Same here, regarding zero interest in cloud computing nonsense. Sometimes these large companies all start going in the wrong direction in parallel.

I'm no fan of "cloud computing" either, and yet I think it's folly to dismiss it. It is going to be big, if only because it's cheap and will save big corporations hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just do the math on Google's offering: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/b...ing_value.html

Also, I heard from someone who knows someone who knows what's going on at Google, and the word is that cloud computing is bigger than anyone yet realizes.

I know that last bit sounds really stupid... But I did hear that from the cited source, and there does seem to be substantiation throughout the ether.

I watch the stock market and have gotten parallel vibes.

Here's some free info from my own recent investigation; the numbers just to the right of the stock symbols are the price per share on 11-27-09; the rating out of 10 is from MSN Stocks, same for the Buy/Hold/Sell roccommendations:

Fri, Nov. 11-27-09 Stock Research

Cloud Computing:

GOOG 579.76 9 out of 10 3 CAPS Stars Moderate Buy

AKAM 23.92 10 out of 10 5 CAPS Stars Hold

VMW 41.30 6 out of 10 4 CAPS Stars Hold

EMC 16.75 9 out of 10 4 CAPS Stars Moderate Buy

AAPL 200.59 9 out of 10 3 CAPS Stars Moderate Buy

MSFT 29.22 8 out of 10 3 CAPS Stars Moderate Buy

INTC 19.11 6 out of 8 4 CAPS Stars Moderate Buy

ARMH 7.81 8 out of 10 3 CAPS Stars Hold

GOOG already has big companies using its Google Apps and cloud computing will probably grow if only because it's cheap. Also, GOOG is set to produce its own hardware in a phone and in a netbook. The netbook could especially be big if cloud computing takes off.

AKAM basically sells a "private internet" to big companies that benefit from having traffic efficiently routed.

VMW can turn one actual server into 4 or 5 virtual servers. This will open up possibilities for companies that turn to cloud computing (it will free-up their existing servers and open new possibilities). Of course, virtual servers will facilitate cloud computing in the first place.

EMC owns about 80% of VMware.

AAPL is the dark horse in cloud computing (in my opinion). What are its plans for that server farm it recently inked? Tablet or netbook in the future? What about the iPhone?

MSFT may be in play from a cloud perspective due to its efforts at getting MS Office into that realm. Also, what effect will its "ribbon" interface actually have wrt locking-in users. Finally, Windows 7 is doing well and MSFT will probably never go away.

INTC will benefit from its Atom processor.

ARMH will benefit from its ARM chips.

Full disclosure: I own stock in AAPL and INTC. Other companies may compose stocks in various index funds I own; I'm not sure.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WIJG View Post

I'm no fan of "cloud computing" either, and yet I think it's folly to dismiss it. It is going to be big, if only because it's cheap and will save big corporations hundreds of thousands of dollars. Just do the math on Google's offering: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/b...ing_value.html

Also, I heard from someone who knows someone who knows what's going on at Google, and the word is that cloud computing is bigger than anyone yet realizes.

I think our perception is off because how we define "cloud computing? is off. We seem to be looking it at from a perceptive that it has to be maintained from the cloud and that we have to be online to use it. This is simply not the case.

Google Gears gave us offline storage of their apps but they are moving to HTML5 along with Apple, MS and others which has local DB caching in the spec and already added to WebKit andGecko, and coming to IE8. A web-code based apps look to be the future and the three biggest tech companies are already perusing it heavily.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    Pure speculation, but I think the server $1B server farm has to do more with content distribution. Besides the current iTunes and App store content, I suspect Apple will get into media distribution like TV content, movies, magazines, news papers... especially the media rich stuff being discussed for the iTablet.

I think spreadsheets, word type stuff is yesterday's news... though it is essential to keep Google from controlling the customer. I suspect Microsoft will have hi powered MS Office running in the cloud. That is the standard for businesses.

Regardless, I want to have data right with me locally or in a LAN server. I need the privacy, security and dedicated data processing. Not dependent on somebody like Google or the telco.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

but it's odd they couldn't hire from within.

A few people have said this... I don't get it.

Unless Apple is laying off in a big way?

Quote:

I would really like to see a hybrid approach. To a large degree, it's been web or local... they need to merge better.

Ideally, I'd like my whole user folder to be in the cloud with a full synced copy on my hard disk.

* Great backup (when there's a cloud OR local hardware problems!)

* Fast opening of data by using local synced version

* Offline usage perfect via local data

* access/edit my stuff via web apps OR local apps

* Let a document be collaborated on - me on my local app working with my colleague on a web-based app etc etc.

* full syncs at home (minimal syncs while mobile)
  • Reply 19 of 62
    Yes it does sound like they are setting up a "cloud" based service for some iWork apps. I hope they continue to make the standalaone iWork software as well, for those who don't want to use "cloud computing" apps (bandwidth, need to have Internet connection, etc.)
  • Reply 20 of 62
    AAPL has billions in the bank.

Why not acquire 280North.

This would solve 2 problems:

1) They'd get some talented ex-apple employees back.

2) Keynote would be ready to go in the cloud.