iGuide may be service tied to forthcoming Apple tablet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    Not happy

Once again, we're talking about future products . Should they be Windows related, we'd call them vaporware ...

Now, when the iMac i5 will be available ? The 2 weeks delay has been on Apple Store for 2 weeks now ...

Could AppleInsider investigate ?

Thanks
  • Reply 22 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Like .Mac => Mobile Me because the Mac part was limiting the appeal to Windows users. In as much as the name iTunes may be less appealing to magazine publishers which Apple is rumored to be courting.

1) iTunes is not Tunes. It’s a product name that is successful and very few are associating it only with music.

2) iTunes syncs with iPods, iPhones and AppleTVs all playing non-audio, yet one is buying an AppleTV and wondering how they play video if it syncs through iTunes and not an app called iVideo.

3) The iTunes Store contains within it the App Store. There is a separate app on iPhone OS devices to connect to this store. I can see an internal store within a different name associated to it for publishers, but not a dropping of the iTS completely.

4) .Mac had many failings, it needed to be revamped and a new name was expected with a new design. Many were expecting Apple to drop the idea altogether. I doubt that they changed the name to appeal to Windows users. I think they changed the functionality of it for the iPhone OS to appeal to Windows users and changed name to indicate a dramatic change in the lackluster service. The only way I can see Apple changing the iTunes name is with a completely new app that changes the feel, look and function, not just a OCD need to rename it because it doesn’t fit some silly dictionary term.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

.Mac had many failings. It needed to be revamped and a new name was expected with the new design. many were expecting Apple to drop the idea altogether. The only way I can see Apple changing the iTunes name is with a completely new app that changes the feel, look and function, not just a OCD need to rename it because it doesn’t fit some silly dictionary term.

I find the ITunes Store very awkward and non-intuitive so a total revamp would be a welcome change in my opinion.

BTW I was disappointed when they dropped eWorld.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    One thing I think will eventually pass is the whole obsession with "iEverything". But until that time, it seems as though Apple prefers a single syllable after the 'i" ruling out iTablet as a potential device name.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Quote:

I find the ITunes Store very awkward and non-intuitive so a total revamp would be a welcome change in my opinion.

BTW I was disappointed when they dropped eWorld.

By now iTunes as a proper noun invokes a certain meaning that trumps any word origin it may have had. It?s silly to come in like an assassin to rename a word because are foolishly pedantic about it?s origins.

If Apple renames it will be when they feel iTunes is long in the tooth and new direction is in order. Many already feel that has happened and it?s possible that may occur with iTunes X, presumably arriving next Autumn (in the N. Hemisphere) with the revised iPods. I assume it will be completely Cocoa (and 64-bit) by then which may give rise to a completely new structure as it will have had to rewritten from the ground up. I look at QuickTime X and it appears that moving from Carbon to Cocoa while trying to maintain the same look and feel my be very difficult and rather pointless with so much change since these these Carbon apps were first started.

Sincerely,

Solipsism
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:

By now iTunes as a proper noun invokes a certain meaning that trumps any word origin it may have had. It?s silly to come in like an assassin to rename a word because are foolishly pedantic about it?s origins.

I'm not advocating anything, only looking at all the naming scheme possibilities. Personally I am not that hung up on product names especially when they are silly made up words although I do think AppleTV is a nice name.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:

I'm not advocating anything, only looking at all the naming scheme possibilities. Personally I am not that hung up on product names especially when they are silly made up words although I do think AppleTV is a nice name.

I?m going for Apple <name> with this rumoured device. I?d like the i<name> to be for pocketable devices, Mac for their PCs that run Mac OS X, and AppleTV and Apple Slate/Tablet for their other devices.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

iGuide sounds like a Nav device. at least iSlate (or iPod Slate which might be more likely) sounds neutral enough to cover all the likely bits and pieces of the device.

iGuide sounds better than iSlate (or iPod slate, for that matter) but it still sounds clumsy and lacks the subtlety of iPod.

Let's face it, all of the good "i" names have been used up at this point. There are still plenty of lousy ones.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    It could even be called iNasserAE

Why not a service tier to AppleTV or Mac?! Why do they need to have a service for a device that doesn't exist yet and not what is already available now?!
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It could even be called iNasserAE

iDon'tthinkso.

How about reverse things and put the "i" on the end this time.... how 'bout Nav'i?
  • Reply 31 of 51
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

iDon'tthinkso.

How about reverse things and put the "i" on the end this time.... how 'bout Nav'i?

Oh wait...

Nav'i?

iNasserAE?

They are mine now and no one can use them
  • Reply 32 of 51
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

Not happy

Once again, we're talking about future products . Should they be Windows related, we'd call them vaporware ...

This is just like the talk about the iPhone before the Macworld where the iPhone was released. The tablet is coming, we can't prove it conclusively, but we know it. I don't see what this has to do with Microsoft whatsoever. Microsoft has a habit of talking about products and not making them, Apple hasn't mentioned the tablet once, so it can't be vaporware. You're confusing vaporware with rumorware.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This is just like the talk about the iPhone before the Macworld where the iPhone was released. The tablet is coming, we can't prove it conclusively, but we know it. I don't see what this has to do with Microsoft whatsoever. Microsoft has a habit of talking about products and not making them, Apple hasn't mentioned the tablet once, so it can't be vaporware. You're confusing vaporware with rumorware.

Unlike the slate/tablet/thingy, vaporware AND rumorware are in plentiful supply here. Now taking orders!
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MobileMe View Post

Apple could have been purchasing names and trademarks to eliminate potential knock-off un-innovative competitors. Apples not light years ahead just by accident.

Since the iPod, companies all over like to use iThis and iThat. For people us the US look at Jeeps new saying " iLive iRide iAm ... Jeep " Hands down Apple inspires others which is soooooo cool.

Plus JEEPS Are probably the Best ALL AROUND VEHICLE to drive.

Trademarks don't work that way. If you don't use it, you lose it. Imagine how horrible things would be if people can hoard trademarks like that. Then some trademark troll will have all the good ones and all the products we use will have long and horrible names because someone squatted all the trademarks.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solarein View Post

Trademarks don't work that way. If you don't use it, you lose it. Imagine how horrible things would be if people can hoard trademarks like that. Then some trademark troll will have all the good ones and all the products we use will have long and horrible names because someone squatted all the trademarks.

Remember Cisco?s lack of use of their old iPhone trademark from a 1996 acquisition that they started slapping on products via stickers to claim they are actively using the name. They do look to have been within their legal right for name ownership but the after-the-fact ?stickering" sure screamed desperation.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:

If Apple renames it will be when they feel iTunes is long in the tooth and new direction is in order. Many already feel that has happened and it?s possible that may occur with iTunes X, presumably arriving next Autumn (in the N. Hemisphere) with the revised iPods. I assume it will be completely Cocoa (and 64-bit) by then which may give rise to a completely new structure as it will have had to rewritten from the ground up. I look at QuickTime X and it appears that moving from Carbon to Cocoa while trying to maintain the same look and feel my be very difficult and rather pointless with so much change since these these Carbon apps were first started.

Sincerely,

Solipsism

The name iTunes is familiar to those already in the ecosystem, iPod/iPhone/AppleTV/Mac users who use it to purchase music, video, apps, etc. understand that it is much more than music.

But let's not forget that there are vast numbers of people who are completely unaware or unfamiliar with the ecosystem. But if Apple does get into the subscription TV/newspaper/ebook game, it may attract many such people who have not dealt with iTunes before, and they will be puzzled by the name initially. They will probably become familiar with it given time, but why present this extra barrier? If Apple is looking to completely revolutionize the iTunes platform by expanding into these new areas, this would be a good time to rename the service to something more encompassing to lessen the initial confusion of new adopters.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    seriously, iSlate is a darn lousy name.

Apple iSlate. Apple iS late.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glenemil View Post

seriously, iSlate is a darn lousy name.

Apple iSlate. Apple iS late.

• Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

iGuide sounds like a Nav device. at least iSlate (or iPod Slate which might be more likely) sounds neutral enough to cover all the likely bits and pieces of the device.

yeah, you beat me to it. remember that recent news about apple buying "placebase" -- the *mapping* company? there's no way in hell that apple's tablet/slate will be called an "iguide." the word "guide" is far too specific -- and limiting -- to apply to a device as revolutionary and as versatile as it will be.

"iguide" is for something else. period.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Will it come with a "Don't Panic!" badge?