Report: Apple Event set for January 26, 2010

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Segway PUMA with iPhone integration. You heard it here first.

The 10" screen is just part of the package.

Think Mobile®.

They did say "mobility". Sure would like to find out what Doug Field's been up to at Apple!

Steve Jobs thought the original Segway PT design sucked. But he did show up at that first meeting. . .makes ya think. . .
  • Reply 42 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

No multi-tasking isn't due to lack of innovation, it is the first thing that comes to mind when designing a mobile device like a phone. If you are even remotely involved in any system design, you would appreciate that from a holistic user experience and cost/resource standpoint, multi-tasking is too costly. It takes away more than it provides. If you consistently use these multi-tasking phones, you will see that performance and battery life suffer tremendously. At some point in the future, it will be plausible.

I think the innovative thing in this case was to disallow multi-tasking.

Agreed. Many of the iPhone developer videos I've watched make reference to being careful to use resources sparingly: loading them "lazily" only when actually needed.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glockpop View Post

...The only reason to put the full Mac OS X on it would be to allow it to run crap from the 90s like Office and Photoshop. Apple has a modern software model that is humiliating both the conventional desktop and the PC-mobile Microsoft model as well as the Java/Flash/Android/BREW model of other failed mobile platforms...

It doesn't matter if the old model is "crap" or not, it is entrenched. Apple has attempted to change this in the past with Open Doc with little success. There was also a chance with the introduction of OS X and the only "Big Kid on the Block" to loose market share in the transition was Quark, who lost it to Adobe. The open source model has also done little to change things in the application space, Office is still KING with no real threat.

Time and time again backwards compatibility has been a major factor in the success of a new computer product and the lack of it almost always means it's failure.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That makes no sense. The iPhone OS can already output to TVs which are much bigger than 10? The size of the TV has nothing to do with the limitations of the HW to push out a signal. What does matter is the USER INTERFACE. Do you want 2? icons for this exact iPhone OS running on a 10? screen or do you want the same size icons with about 100 on each Home Screen? Neither is ideal thus iPhone OS will not be on any 10? tablet. It will use many elements from the iPhone OS but it will be a different limb of OS X.

Personally I've always referred to "running iPhone OS" as using it as a foundation to expand upon. I don't think anyone should need that picture to see why a direct port of the current iteration of iPhone OS wouldn't work well.

I think you are arguing semantics. It will be a different OS in that it will be skinned differently and have some unique features. However I would expect the two operating systems to be closely related, the tablet will likely be able to run iPhone OS apps, and the two operating systems will undergo parallel development with some features hitting the tablet before being introduced in the iPhone once its hardware catches up.

If a routers OS and ubuntu can both be referred to as linux, why can't we call it iPhone OS for now? Of course that does lead to confusion with people thinking that the tablet would be a big iPhone, but I'll chalk that up to a lack of imagination, that isn't what most people are suggesting when they say iPhone OS. It would be more appropriate to say derived from and simultaneously developed in conjunction with iPhone OS from then on, but that takes more typing.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by @homenow View Post

It doesn't matter if the old model is "crap" or not, it is entrenched. Apple has attempted to change this in the past with Open Doc with little success. There was also a chance with the introduction of OS X and the only "Big Kid on the Block" to loose market share in the transition was Quark, who lost it to Adobe. The open source model has also done little to change things in the application space, Office is still KING with no real threat.

Time and time again backwards compatibility has been a major factor in the success of a new computer product and the lack of it almost always means it's failure.

Entrenched at 5% market share... There are more devices running iPhone OS than OSX. The tablet already has a greater installed user base for applications that will scale up well. Microsoft is free to develop Office for the tablet and I'm guessing Apple has already done so for iWork.

If you always have backwards compatibility, you can never move forward. A greater threat to the tablets success would be a terrible user experience from people using an operating system and programs designed for a cursor with their fingers.

Edit: This tablet will also be designed to supplement a computer, not replace it, so keep that in mind.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is a lot more to iphone OS than the apps that come with iPhone. There is a real likelyhood that any new large screen devices will come with different apps more suitable for the screen size. These apps will still use iPhone OS UIKit. In any event apps are not the OS.

That being said some apps will likely to be the same across the different sized devices in the family. It all depends upon how useful new interface objects/features would be on the larger screen.

As to multitasking being exposed to new apps that would be easy to do with iPhone OS too. The capability is already there but Apple wisely decided it was not useful on the initial iPhone OS devices. On a tablet there is no reason to think it couldn't be a useful feature. All you need is a Touch based way to access it.

Dave

*jumps up and down like a jackhammer*

wHAtevar!! The...ahem...THE tablet is coming!!!

*giggles like a chimpmunk on drugs*
  • Reply 47 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I think you are arguing semantics. It will be a different OS in that it will be skinned differently and have some unique features. However I would expect the two operating systems to be closely related, the tablet will likely be able to run iPhone OS apps, and the two operating systems will undergo parallel development with some features hitting the tablet before being introduced in the iPhone once its hardware catches up.

Semantics are important when you are trying to establish a baseline of communication. Reading “it’ll run the same OS as the iPhone” without quantifying their statement, then to later have the writer state that they didn’t actually mean “exactly the same” yet aren’t considering iPhone OS to be “the same” as Mac OS despite iPhone OS coming directly from the same foundations.

I can run iPhone OS apps that I’ve developed on my Mac using the iPhone simulator, and that isn’t even using an ARM CPU so I don’t see the logic behind calling anything from Apple with a touch screen or able to run App Store apps as using iPhone OS. There are very distinct aspects of the frameworks, components and UI that make it very much a different OS.

The closest two flavours of OS X seem to be Mac OS and the AppleTV. It’s pretty close to a standard Mac build but using BackRow as the UI. I’d say that iPhone OS in the Touch and iPhone OS in the iPhone are just variations of each other since they only differ of drivers and code for very specific HW differences in the way a Mac Pro differs from a MB with various HW differences.

Quote:

If a routers OS and ubuntu can both be referred to as linux, why can't we call it iPhone OS for now?

That is confusing and makes no sense. Why call every OS from Apple iPhone OS simply because it has touch capabilities when the much more suitable OS X title is there? Why pull a specific OS X flavour to label a completely different Apple device when it’s clear that it will have to have aspects of Mac OS, iPhone OS and a lot of new aspects that will not be found in iPhone OS? It makes no sense.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    The tablet should not be an iPhone, nor a computer. It needs some real productivity applications that are not possible on the iPhone and an interface and user interaction that fits into the real world. To me that means in addition to a touch interface and possible blue tooth keyboard it needs a stylus.

We have had the finger since before we started walking upright, but moved to other tools to draw and paint before we even had a written language. The finger is just not up to the task of writing or drawing efficiently and accurately.

I also feel that the success of the product will require productivity software that fits into the world we live in today. This means having access to the software that we would want or need to use on it in our daily lives. I personally believe that access to programs such as Word, Excel, and Photoshop with the ability to edit the documents will be key components in the success. You won't do it the same way you do on a desktop PC, but you need to be able to access and change data if you are in a meeting or traveling with it for the device to be effective.

Basically it should be similar in function to what we use a clipboard for in everyday use with the addition to the computing, communication, and multimedia functions that we would expect from a personal computing device today.

The iPhone success without backward compatibility comes from the fact that it was a new device, even still it was backward compatible in a way with the iPod, iTunes, and Safari, borrowing on their success and function as part of it's selling point for the new device.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:

I can run iPhone OS apps that I’ve developed on my Mac using the iPhone simulator, and that isn’t even using an ARM CPU so I don’t see the logic behind calling anything from Apple with a touch screen or able to run App Store apps as using iPhone OS. There are very distinct aspects of the frameworks, components and UI that make it very much a different OS.

The iPhone and the tablet will likely have similar internal hardware, with the tablet being a little ahead of the game. It is likely that both will be running Arm chips. They are not just devices with a touch screen, they are devices with similar usage requirements. They will both utilize low power chips to maximize battery life and the operating system should be designed best utilize those chips which makes iPhone OS a great starting point. The fact that it was made with touch in mind is simply icing on on the cake.

Why does the need to clarify exist? It is obvious that the two operating systems wont be identical. Common sense should give a person the capability making some inferences into what the intent was.

As far as I see it, iPhone OS will branch out after 3.x. One branch to 4.x and beyond and one for the tablet. Neither will be the same OS as the current iPhone OS, but they will both share aspects of the current OS. If they changed the UI for 4.0, is it no longer iPhone OS?

PS: A tablet would likely run iPhone apps natively, that would be the distinction between it and your simulator. Full hardware and OS support, not simulated.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I think it's a fundamental piece of category confusion to assume an Apple tablet will just run some kind of "enhanced" or "big" iPhone OS, just as it would have been off the mark to imagine that the iPhone was going to run "little" OS X.

Apple designs user experiences. They tailor the software and UI to work with the hardware at hand. A 10" tablet is a very different piece of hardware from an iPhone, for reasons that should be obvious. A touch based device with that size screen calls for new kinds of integration that have little to do with either desktop OS X or the iPhone OS.

What does a "finder" look like on such a tablet? It can't just be a bigger grid of icons, and it likely isn't going to look like the desktop OS X finder. How does a UI designed to be easy to use with one hand scale up? It doesn't, which is why I think the "run iPhone apps in a native res window" idea doesn't really fly. If a tablet allows for pervasive multitasking, how is windowing and app switching handled? System notifications? Communication notifications? Multitouch gestures are different when they can involve more than two fingers, and there's been some patent rumblings from Apple that involve five fingers plus the palm-- how does that work? Certainly doesn't have any precedent in either the desktop or phone OSes.

I say that the tablet OS will have the same OS X underpinnings and many of the same development tools as the iPhone OS, but take the idea of a touch based, general purpose computing device to a new place entirely. I think Apple intends a reinvention of the whole idea of mobile computing, not a big iPod or an underpowered, keyboard-less laptop.

To do that, they'll come up with the kind of specific, startling hardware/software integration that characterized the original iPhone, and once again surprise us. Just as the iPhone turned out not to be an iPod with phone functionality, the tablet won't be an iPhone with a big screen, and we won't think of the OS as the iPhone OS. If anything, I think we'll come to understand the iPhone OS as a hardware limited subset of the Touch OS that Apple intends to take mainstream.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    What amazes me most is that we truly have no idea what this fabled product is going to be. The seemingly distinct possibilities are so very different in reality.

Some people believe that Apple is gearing up to disappoint with a large iPod touch.

Some people believe that Apple is gearing up to impress with a small multi touch hyper-portable mac.

Some people believe that Apple is gearing up to blow away all expectations and release an all new device.

I'm going with all 3.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What amazes me most is that we truly have no idea what this fabled product is going to be. The seemingly distinct possibilities are so very different in reality.

Some people believe that Apple is gearing up to disappoint with a large iPod touch.

Some people believe that Apple is gearing up to impress with a small multi touch hyper-portable mac.

Some people believe that Apple is gearing up to blow away all expectations and release an all new device.

I'm going with all 3.

So you think they are going to impress and disappoint? The main disappointment will be the price = expensive. The the main impressive point will be the hardware and Mac OS X touch.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    I'm hoping for a new aTV based on ARM* and using the app store as much as a tablet for this event.

Specifically the 1Ghz Humminbird CPU from Samsung. I would expect the tablet to use the Hummingbird too.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Reports that Apple is hosting its own January media event at the same venue it has historically used for its fall iPod-related music events also explains why the company announced last year that it would no longer be presenting a keynote or even a booth at IDG's Macworld Expo event, which has typically been scheduled for the first week of January. The event date set in late January allows the company more time to plan and prepare for the slate introduction.

Yes, but the new mid-feb mwsf date would give apple even a few more weeks "to plan and prepare". I'm disappointed apple didn't choose to make its announcement AT mwsf this year: it would only have to have delayed the announcement two weeks. is anyone aware of industry activity that would have made that a problem?

here's an email i sent steve jobs last month:

"It would be ironic if it turns out a new apple tablet's release could have coincided with a Jobsean keynote at MWSF.

Reports are the company dropped out of MW because people can go to a local apple store to see product (true, but only for some) and that Apple can stage its own special events to announce products (true, but have the company's special events attracted more coverage than the annual keynotes used to)? The press lined up at those meetings just like us fanboys.

So timing was the issue: Apple wanted to make announcements when products were ready, not squeeze announcements into an artificial MW schedule.

Taking control of its own destiny in that way makes sense. But if there's a product ready to announce within weeks of the rescheduled (Feb 9-13) MWSF, it would also make sense to hold the special event there. The press will attend a special event at Moscone whether it's that week or a week earlier or later. By revealing a new product at MW--IF the timing is right--the announcement would be made in front of several thousand afficianados. I say bring back the magic, and do it there."
  • Reply 55 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Born and grew up in Malaysia, went to high school in Singapore, college/uni in Australia, then worked in the US, Australia, now back in Malaysia the past few years.

Sounds very interesting, quite the experience.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    Quote:

I would think that they will have at least a viewer for iWork apps that is much better than the iPhone OS version.

At least. I hope that the tablet has the ability to be used as a note pad in some way.

Perhaps it's time for iWork to progress to the next level - a slight redesign with the intent for native viewing & creating on a tablet, Mac, or web.

As an example, I'd like to take a Pages document and draw a little 'post it note' style comment on it. Or make a pages document. I can't see how to do either except for handwriting recognition though, so who knows. Hey is there a good reason that Numbers and Pages aren't integrated into 1 app?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

I am looking forward to this. They would not put on a big event like this unless they had some special product(s) and/or services up their sleeves...

They haven't actually announced any event yet though. Nor how 'big' it will be. Even if they had, it could be an iLife upgrade + memory upgrade to iPod Touch/iPhone, or an iWork upgrade, or the subscription TV (and AppleTV?) upgrade, or any combination.

All that said - I believe they do have some special products or services up their sleeves.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Last post for today (for me):

Have a Happy New Year, everyone! Let's all hope 2010 is a lot better than 2009 for all.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So you think they are going to impress and disappoint? The main disappointment will be the price = expensive. The the main impressive point will be the hardware and Mac OS X touch.

when would be the last time Apple held a media event and did not impress and disappoint?
  • Reply 59 of 76
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Last post for today (for me):

Have a Happy New Year, everyone! Let's all hope 2010 is a lot better than 2009 for all.

I was tired and didn't feel well so I missed the new year cross over. Anyways, happy new year everyone!

Now that we're officially into January 2010 let the great Apple event countdown begin!!!
  • Reply 60 of 76
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Born and grew up in Malaysia, went to high school in Singapore, college/uni in Australia, then worked in the US, Australia, now back in Malaysia the past few years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alectheking View Post

Sounds very interesting, quite the experience.

Expensive, bewildering and stressful at times, but many priceless experiences. ...For example, growing up watching a lot of American TV and movies (like a lot of the world), I had to check out SF* (that Star Trek movie + many more), LA (no explanation required), NYC (NYPD Blue?), Vegas (no explanation required), Chicago (Hmm... The Negotiator?), Boston (home of the infamous Harvard and MIT, Good Will Hunting)... LOL.

*Spent most of my 2.5 years in the US in the SF Bay Area, for many reasons, besides just because of TV and movies.