Apple's Wed., Jan. 27 event could include iPhone 4.0 SDK [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    In response to Mactrippers posted pics a few things come to mind.

1-The Core Duo Chip listed is over $200 (US $) in bulk quantities.

2-It is widely rumored that Apple looked at using the Atom chip for Ultra Portable applications and decided it was to hot and power hungry. it is very unlikely that apple will use a core 2 duo in a ultra portable.

3-I am also skeptical that Apple would use a mechanical Hdd in a ultra portable. Yes it worked in the ipod but that was a small simple os that would cache several songs at once to keep the Hdd spun down as much as possible. As a boot drive a mechanical Hdd would be spun up far more often and would be more subject to damage from movement and would be very slow.

4-Basically these are the specs that would be used if Apple was going to create their own Modbook http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Modbook. If Apple were going to do that then they would have done so long ago as that is something they could build without even breaking a sweat.

5-I have no artistic talent and have never used photoshop but there is just something wrong with the way these documents look and IMHO they look very fake.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    what's this i just heard about apple working on a tablet computer?
  • Reply 43 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

what's this i just heard about apple working on a tablet computer?

I must have missed it. Maybe the story was buried in with the thousands of stories about the next "Iphone Killer", hundreds of puff pieces on why AT&T's network suckage is not their fault, and last but not least are all the Stories that teh Steve is still doomed!

It's very easy to see how a little story about a tablet could be missed.
  • Reply 44 of 68
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Traqqer7777 View Post

Man I wish they would hold it sooner. The anticipation is killing me. Maybe they're tyring to squeeze every drop out of the hype machine they can. And that's without a single piece of direct advertising! I'm sure their stock will inch up higher than the high they've recently seen as indicated in the following article:

http://www.alltabletnews.com/2009/12...es-a-new-high/

This.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i guess someone's parents didn't give them enough attention that they post this crap which doesn't even sound true

I can make that document up in 20 minutes, scan it and upload it.
  • Reply 46 of 68
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2series View Post

The family room is also on it's way out, just like the centrally located TV.

Convergence of household spaces. Along with the tablet, Apple introduces the iHouse. One big room to use your iDevices in. All surfaces have inductive chargers built in.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Man! It's coming in like a flood isn't it guys?

FUN......FUN!!!!
  • Reply 48 of 68
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i guess someone's parents didn't give them enough attention that they post this crap which doesn't even sound true

These images look like modified spec sheets from a MB or something. And "Clouded Leopard"? Sounds to me the author of this image is having Google Chrome OS envy...there's one thing the fanboys aren't going to be able to claim as an apple invention.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    NOW on CNBC at 9:30 EST "Welcome to Macintosh"
  • Reply 50 of 68
    Hope they release iPhone os 4.0 soon as I pay my iPhone developer account for 99 dollars so as to get beta !!
  • Reply 51 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

on a more serious note, what if all the iPhone apps were cross platform, say, Mac and Apple TV? Wouldn't that be an interesting announcement? Most apps would suck, but...

I'd like to see something like that.

A deliberate encouragement of app development cross platform - iPhone, iSlate, Mac (Dashboard?), AppleTV.

Apparently Dashboard development (on DashCode) is web based, and has been expanded to allow development of web-apps for the iPhone. Not sure how well that works.
  • Reply 52 of 68
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

New 1080p Apple TV (maybe even with apps and an sdk)

I'd imagine that the new Apple TV will be moving to an ARM based design (hopefully the PA Semi design at a high clock) to cut the cost and improve performance over the old Apple TV design.

In that case, it would only need a "Cocoa TV" API (remote control instead of touch) instead of Cocoa Touch and you'd have an application platform for the Apple TV (2010).

Bluetooth will be included this time so that the iPhone and iPod Touch can be used directly as controllers for the Apple TV, as well as wireless keyboards, etc, for an Apple TV web browser.

iPhone Apps should be easily ported. Games especially so, bluetooth controller aside. It's possible that the iPhone SDK 4.0 may also include Apple TV app support besides support for higher resolutions and other things for platform convergence.

If the PA Semi ARM design is indeed a dual-core ARM Cortex A9 with Imagination Tech SGX543 graphics then you'll have significantly more power than a Nintendo Wii, but not as much as a PS3/360. Should suffice for most uses, and with 1GB RAM at least there will be some advantages.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

That was cool, thanks, didn't even know such a animal existed.

Clouded Leopard > cloud computing.

sounds good and a good name if true.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Especially if they have their data center built and really are focusing a lot more on the cloud. I didn?t think that was a real animal.

Ahem:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Interesting. Quick Google shows that

1-- There actually is a species of cat called "clouded leopard"

2-- Its closest relative is the Snow Leopard, and (didn't actually need Google for this)

3-- It's a name that obviously alludes to the "cloud", which would be a natural evolution for OS X (more hooks to cloud based services, etc.)

So I could actually see that as an internal designation, although it doesn't quite work for a consumer release (clouded isn't really and adjective you want associated with your OS), although "Cloud Leopard", a very recently discovered type of Leopard, might.

• Reply 54 of 68
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Traqqer7777 View Post

Man I wish they would hold it sooner.

1. Apple hasn't announced that they are holding anything.

2. assuming they are, perhaps that was the earliest available date

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The notebook will, in time, give way to the Tablet,

or not. the strongest and most logic rumors are that this Tablet is an iphone device, not a computer one. So it will not likely have the power and function of a full notebook (think netbook instead). The White Macbook model might drop off the lineup, but the other notebooks will be around for a while.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Also... a new SDK introduced at an event like this? I don't think so.

I think very much so. Introduced doesn't mean that they won't have a second event. Or perhaps the changes aren't really that huge. A new simulator isn't really cause to have a whole new event. Especially if one was already doing apps for the phone/touch. So this 'introduction' could be as simple as saying there will be one and when folks can start using it. with a few of the details of what to expect
  • Reply 55 of 68
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Would they really kill the white Macbook, 2 1/2 months into its life as the unibody model, to make way for this tablet??
  • Reply 56 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

Would they really kill the white Macbook, 2 1/2 months into its life as the unibody model, to make way for this tablet??

Very unlikely, but the tablet may steal of its market, or so the thinking goes.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I'd imagine that the new Apple TV will be moving to an ARM based design (hopefully the PA Semi design at a high clock) to cut the cost and improve performance over the old Apple TV design.

In that case, it would only need a "Cocoa TV" API (remote control instead of touch) instead of Cocoa Touch and you'd have an application platform for the Apple TV (2010).

Bluetooth will be included this time so that the iPhone and iPod Touch can be used directly as controllers for the Apple TV, as well as wireless keyboards, etc, for an Apple TV web browser.

iPhone Apps should be easily ported. Games especially so, bluetooth controller aside. It's possible that the iPhone SDK 4.0 may also include Apple TV app support besides support for higher resolutions and other things for platform convergence.

If the PA Semi ARM design is indeed a dual-core ARM Cortex A9 with Imagination Tech SGX543 graphics then you'll have significantly more power than a Nintendo Wii, but not as much as a PS3/360. Should suffice for most uses, and with 1GB RAM at least there will be some advantages.

Thanks for the insight, one can only hope.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

My guess is the tablet is intended for users who simply don't demand the features of a full desktop experience.

That said, I think a lot of kids who just want to watch movies, and browse the web and do Facebook, currently buy the white MacBook.

So Apple could lose some white Macbook sales as a result. But if the profit margins on the tablet are good, Apple won't lose a penny.

I think it is very likely that the tablet will ship with a built-in cellular modem. If tablet-buyers take out a wireless broadband contract - they will get a subsidy discount.

C.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Ahem:

You?re 8 months ahead of me.. which means I?m catching up.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:

Ahem:

But aren't Cloud Leopards a dying species?