Apple to unveil tablet in January, ship in March - WSJ

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

...with a $300 device - just as they followed the iPhone several years later with the budget Genio phones, which have been a massive hit with the tween crowd here in the UK.

Pfft. I hate to say this, but what happens with tweens in the UK market -- no doubt important to you -- is not particularly relevant, I think, for Apple. It's nice that Samsung is filling that huge void.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

yes, you and Gazoobee are both right. Apple is pathologically secretive, and the resulting guessing game probably generates 10x as much media coverage as releasing advance details al la MS would. we all love the guessing game. and then the follow-up kevetching game. but not, however, the inevitable whining game.

So true.

PS: It's 'kvetching.'
  • Reply 23 of 89
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I hope they are wrong about the $1000 price point.

And what if they're wrong about everything? Teh Steve will laugh his head off.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    The Wall Street Journal has been moaning the loss of ad views to Google using it's content.

So something like the iTablet/iSlate where it's a closed device and can subscribe to PDF versions of the WSJ would be welcome in their eyes.

I wouldn't mind getting the WSJ, just I don't like getting my hands dirty with ink and should be getting a discount for PDF as it saves labor/paper/printing.

It's going to be a tough sell, getting users to pay for content again.

No AdBlock for the iSlate though!

And Steve Jobs is wrong, people DO READ, it's just they like to read on computers rather than on books and newspapers.

People like to be able to set the type size and fonts, auto load their favorite information and so on.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    Maybe just my overactive imagination but fore some reason I feel the tablet is going to have a basic voice control API. Is it possible to offload voice commands to a specialized chip rather than tapping the CPU? I'm thinking back to the "knowledge navigator"; seems like they recognized (even then) that a "tablet" would benefit from voice commands. If it worked right it sure would be a compelling feature that would be hard for competitors to copy.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

And what if they're wrong about everything? Teh Steve will laugh his head off.

That will be one expensive laugh -- his head notwithstanding -- for Apple's shareholders.

If people are 'wrong about everything' the responsible thing for the company's top management to do at this point would be to flatly deny 'everything.'

The fact that they have not done so tells me that we pretty much know the main facts at this point.
  • Reply 27 of 89
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PapayaSF View Post

I'd be very surprised if Apple announced a tablet months before it was available, because MacBook sales would plummet in the meantime: the Osborne effect. The early announcement of the iPhone was different, because it didn't compete with any existing Apple products.

I disagree. I think the new product will be aimed largely at households with one or more MacBooks and/or iMacs. It could be a more convenient way to access web content, depending on its interface and specs, of course.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple positions the new product as a replacement for the low-end MacBook. If so, it might be called MacPad, and Apple could eventually offer screen sizes approaching the MacBook's 13".
  • Reply 28 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The Wall Street Journal has been moaning the loss of ad views to Google using it's content.

Lots of the financial media have been doing the same thing, i.e., WSJ is not alone. For instance, you rarely see the Financial Times or The Economist or Bloomberg featured at the top in Google news stories. Between these four, they account for most of the eyeballs when it comes to global financial news.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    bammibammi Posts: 1member
    They just upstaged every netbook/tablet announcement at CES and froze all the discretionaly / impulse pinetrail netbook/tablet dollars

(Just like 2007 when the iPhone announcement upstaged the entire CES show!)
  • Reply 30 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That will be one expensive laugh -- his head notwithstanding -- for Apple's shareholders.

If people are 'wrong about everything' the responsible thing for the company's top management to do at this point would be to flatly deny 'everything.'

The fact that they have not done so tells me that we pretty much know the main facts at this point.

Your posting is almost laughable.

That’s just how Apple’s Top Management handled the condition of Steve’s Health.

Deny everything until absolutely necessary to tell the press. The comparison is no different.

If everything is not true and their stock price has already accounted for the tablet then it will diver quicker than it did when Steve announced that his condition was just a “little” more than a hormone imbalance.

Apple Senior Management and Responsible should never be used in the same sentence. It’s an oxymoron.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Why all the secrecy on a product... then unveil it and not have it ship for 2 months?

Is it to test the market reaction before assembling them?

Get some hype going?

Give the competition 2 months to copy it, thereby rushing it to market and sucking so that the iSlate stands above?

It can be a good strategy to intimidate your opponents. Though we usually see it as vapourware mockups that never see the light of day. Perhaps this 2 month advance notice is more for publishers so the ones that haven’t signed up can see what they are missing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You don't just copy something like that in 2 months. Maybe 2 years. Just look at the iPhone. It was previewed in January and didn't ship until June.

I'd say the 6 months advanced notice was to keep people from signing up for another 2 year contract, which is typical of cell users in the US.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

4.0? How about 3.5 now?

With other vendors releasing more compelling options Apple may not be able to wait until March to demo iPhone OS v4.0 and new SDK. We may even see the 4th iPhone before the expected later June release date.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It can be a good strategy to intimidate your opponents. Though we uSually we it in vapourware claims that never come to pass. Perhaps the advance notice is more for publishers to see which ones haw signe on and or them to guage reaction.

I'd say the 6 months advanced notice was to get people from getting another contract, which is typical of cell users in the US.

With other vendors releasing more compelling options Apple may not be able to wait until March to demo iPhone OS v4.0 and it's SDK. We may even see ttr 4th iPhone before June.

Solipisism, have a little to much vino with dinner this evening? It's almost as comical as anantksundaram's posting.
  • Reply 33 of 89
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    NOW on CNBC at 9:30 EST "Welcome to Macinstosh"
  • Reply 34 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AngusYoung View Post

Your posting is almost laughable.

That?s just how Apple?s Top Management handled the condition of Steve?s Health.

Deny everything until absolutely necessary to tell the press. The comparison is no different.

If everything is not true and their stock price has already accounted for the tablet then it will diver quicker than it did when Steve announced that his condition was just a ?little? more than a hormone imbalance.

Apple Senior Management and Responsible should never be used in the same sentence. It?s an oxymoron.

You raise some good points. You are right about the likely stock price dive if nothing happens on Jan 26/27. My guess would be, perhaps back to $190 or so.

However, I'd like to think that Apple has been quite chastened by that episode, just as they have been with the options backdating episode. These are the types of things they may think twice about doing again. Tim Cook has been in charge for a while when Jobs was away, and perhaps he has a bit more sway over things than before.

Maybe I am being too optimistic.......
  • Reply 35 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

NOW on CNBC at 9:30 EST "Welcome to Macinstosh"

It was made in 2008, check info on the guide. I've already watched it before, not bad for its time.

Pretty pathetic attempt at ratings to air a 2 year old show...

But Apple is a hype machine and CNBC needs ratings
  • Reply 36 of 89
    Quote:

You raise some good points. You are right about the likely stock price dive if nothing happens on Jan 26/27. My guess would be, perhaps back to $190 or so.

However, I'd like to think that Apple has been quite chastened by that episode, just as they have been with the options backdating episode. These are the types of things they may think twice about doing again. Tim Cook has been in charge for a while when Jobs was away, and perhaps he has a bit more sway over things than before.

Maybe I am being too optimistic.......

Tim Cook was in charge when the board and stock holders were not told the truth.

You are being too optimistic. He's as guilty as Steve in that particular situation.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    Quote:

Solipisism, have a little to much vino with dinner this evening? It's almost as comical as anantksundaram's posting.

Instead of throwing out juvenile invectives, why don't you actually add to the discussion -- as you did before -- by arguing why it's 'comical?' Just making an assertion makes you look silly..... (but that's OK too).
  • Reply 38 of 89
    Quote:

Tim Cook was in charge when the board and stock holders were not told the truth.

You are being too optimistic. He's a guilty as Steve in that particular situation.

'In charge' of what? I thought he was COO/President then? Wasn't Jobs the CEO?
  • Reply 39 of 89
    Quote:

'In charge' of what? I thought he was COO/President then? Wasn't Jobs the CEO?

Don't play games. It's worse than Steve did during the options scandal. If Tim Cook was put in charge and didn't know Steve's true health condition then both Steve and Tim are idiots.

This is off topic.

The topic is the release of a product that doesn't exist being introduced at a speculated date that Apple hasn't confirmed for a feature set that nobody has any knowledge of other than pure speculation.

Edit. The side topic is solipsism's hammered and as usual you can't understand his posting only this time there are typo's and words that don't exist.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Why all the secrecy on a product... then unveil it and not have it ship for 2 months?

Is it to test the market reaction before assembling them?

Get some hype going?

Give the competition 2 months to copy it, thereby rushing it to market and sucking so that the iSlate stands above?

Possibilities:

2 months for software to start rolling out from 3rd parties...

2 months for marketing to get going

Since it's not a replacement for another Apple product, there is no concern with slowing sales or creating inventory pileups. Apple has done this for iPhone and AppleTV.