Google Nexus One teardown photos reveal 'thoughtful' design

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 128
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Going so far to say the iPhone UI sucks based on SpringBoard's inability to quickly access icons, is a bit of a stretch.

Springboard was used only as an egregious example. I can give you a dozen more if you want, starting with the basic "serial access only" paradigm.
  • Reply 122 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

What's interesting is that the Nexus One bests the iPhone in just about every technical respect (processor power, memory, screen quality/resolution -- you name it) but watch one of the video demos. In spite of all that power, the animations are jerky and slow. The Android software still has a long way to go to catch up to the iPhone. There are plenty of phones that are good or better than the iPhone in terms of hardware, but none of them have a patch on the iPhone OS.

Yes. The iPhone has beautiful animations. Smooth and fast. That is what makes it great.

Not.
  • Reply 123 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I have no idea what you mean by this unless you are replying to someone else's remark by mistake.

Think about it some more.
  • Reply 124 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b_l View Post

I disagree... the iPhone UI for what it is works for ALL people... I've seen 60 year old men and woman whip out iPhones and iPod Touchs....

We agree, it seems, that the iPhone UI is dumbed down. That seems to be exactly what you are saying, but you speak as though it is a feature.

If the UI was truly great it would be easily usable AND have advanced features. Sacrificing one for the other is NOT a hallmark of greatness.
  • Reply 125 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gtyler View Post

I have never wanted to do any of that on my iPod touch. I have 70 apps.

Fine. But does that mean that for normal folks, the ability should be excluded?
  • Reply 126 of 128
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    All I'll say is I'm glad I've avoided DRM so intensely for so many years. Moving platforms for me then, is easy, and the Nexus One looks like a nice upgrade over the iPhone.

The only question is, should I wait for Apple's response this summer...
  • Reply 127 of 128
    I have been playing with a Nexus all morning and it is anything but jerky. It's butter smooth and lightning fast. It's not as polished as WebOS or the iPhone UI, but it's not far off, the live wallpapers are a nice touch and the screen is beautiful. Really rich.

The voice app is really accurate too, it uses letters instead of words the odd time (b instead of be) but other than that, I am hugely impressed. If this is the current standard, Apple really need something special this summer, because the old "ease of use" argument isn't going to cut it. I will do without a few animations for this speed and ability. I have seven apps open and its like i have one open. Some machine.
  • Reply 128 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

I am hugely impressed. If this is the current standard, Apple really need something special this summer, because the old "ease of use" argument isn't going to cut it.

The voice dial on the iPhone doesn't work well at all.