Blu-ray vs. every other consumer technology (2010)

Comments

• Reply 242 of 421
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Stores that sell/rent physical media have little reason to close if people are buying/renting physical media.

Like I said, I haven't seen any DVD resellers closing their doors around here.

Quote:

Yeah..........Amazon sees the future in shipping paper books is so huge that they made the Kindle......hmmmm.......

We are talking about movies, I wasn't aware of the video playback features of the Kindle.

Quote:

What you don't seem to understand is that companies wouldn't invest billions into entirely new market segments if the change in the market was not happening right now.

What is the market share of digital downloads now? If they have 100% growth this year, they are still miles behind DVD and Blu-ray. The reason they are investing into it now is due to it being the future, it would be pointless to invest in it when everyone else is already doing it.

Quote:

Obviously..........

What is that meant to mean? Why should I be looking at the business activities of companies that have no effect over me? I think you are starting to grasp for things to say now.

Quote:

Its difficult to say they don't break out their individual sales in this way. But yes iTunes as a media store is far bigger than Amazon's media sales.

You made the claim, now back it up. We are talking movies here, so restrict your self to the topic.

Quote:

You say this as I ride the New York City subway and see people watching content on portable devices every day.

So what? I watch media on my iPod every day as well. As I have said, I don't live in the US, when I walk the streets locally I see no one watching content on a portable device.

Last time I checked, I couldn't get a digital download comparable to my Blu-ray movies. The best I can get locally are some low bit rate Apple downloads, with only DD audio, which cost more to purchase than a physical disc, and cost more to rent that a physical disc. And with the downloads I have to pay a lot more to download them than a disc costs to post. And to top it off, I have to purchase additional disc to store it on. And the solutions available to me at the moment only work on one manufactures equipment, I am not going to buy a new device just to support a new company renting a digital download.

If you are happy with the solution available to you, then I am pleased for you. If you are happy to praise the 100% growth of the downloads 1% share, then I am pleased for you. Digital downloads and streaming have a long way to go before they are going to be the market leader, they will get there eventually. But personally, until they resolve all their issues, it isn't a path I am willing to go down.
  • Reply 243 of 421
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

So what? I watch media on my iPod every day as well. As I have said, I don't live in the US, when I walk the streets locally I see no one watching content on a portable device.

I don't live in the US either, and I see people watching video on portable devices in public every day as well. I watched three seasons of Veronica Mars on an iPod Classic!
  • Reply 244 of 421
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    There is little need to keep going round about this. Its pretty clear where its all going.

The funny part is that I actually prefer quality over convenience. But I'm also a realist.

For the majority of people the ability to get something while sitting on your couch in your underwear will trump quality every time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

If you are happy with the solution available to you, then I am pleased for you. If you are happy to praise the 100% growth of the downloads 1% share, then I am pleased for you. Digital downloads and streaming have a long way to go before they are going to be the market leader, they will get there eventually. But personally, until they resolve all their issues, it isn't a path I am willing to go down.

• Reply 245 of 421
    Quote:

The funny part is that I actually prefer quality over convenience. But I'm also a realist.

What is that meant to mean? So I'm not a realist because the current solution is a better fit for me? I'm not a realist because I don't want to pay more for a lesser product? Fine...

I haven't disagreed with what the future product is going to be, I just said what you are experiencing and what others are experiencing are very different.

Quote:

For the majority of people the ability to get something while sitting on your couch in your underwear will trump quality every time.

Yes, it is a sad state of affairs these days when we happy to see how lazy we have become.
  • Reply 246 of 421
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I don't live in the US either, and I see people watching video on portable devices in public every day as well. I watched three seasons of Veronica Mars on an iPod Classic!

I do the same, I watch tv, movies and podcasts all the time on my Classic. Maybe I don't see people doing it as I walk most places, it is a little dangerous to walk and watch tv.
  • Reply 247 of 421
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

This part bears repeating:

And yet Apple continues to force-feed their customers digital downloads as a sad alternative to blu-ray, which they're waiting to "really catch on" before adopting.

BD is already dead in many ways .

All the bullshit involved with discs /packaging /shipping /retailing/driving to the store and then watching >>legally blonde 3 in BD >> FOR $35 BUCKS . Compare this to a steamed APPLE HD movie or watching tons of HD content from Verizon Fios makes this whole thing a no brainer .

Of course i will buy any blu ray movie like 2012 or Transformer or Terminator . <<funny how they give me a digital copy included >> Top action movies that i will watch over and over are worth the hassle to go out and buy a blue ray disc .

My > Dinner with Andre < is not/.

The future in the end will be massive server farms holding all of our content safe and secure and all the pirates and disc makers slowly fade into the ground.

• Reply 248 of 421
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Sto

You say this as I ride the New York City subway and see people watching content on portable devices every day.

I RIDE the one train uptown and watch media content on my mac/ipod. And i now see IPADS showing up on the subway also .

• Reply 249 of 421
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Blockbuster has filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy: Blockbuster Goes Bust

In less than one year, we've seen the top two physical media rental chains go bankrupt.

I sooo should have invested in Netflix. Its stock has gone up 253% over the last year!'

Edit: Here's a telling graph from the consumerist:

• Reply 250 of 421
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

In less than one year, we've seen the top two physical media rental chains go bankrupt.

Reading that article, it seems Blockbuster drove itself down, and people needed any reason to leave them.

Remember, the behavior in the US doesn't match the entire world, like I have said, the only real digital download option here is Apple, and they charge nearly twice what the local video store does for a rental.
  • Reply 251 of 421
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

BD is already dead in many ways ...

i disagree. the format has been on the consumer market, worldwide, since June 2006 and its adoption continues forward. Blu-ray is a viable alternative to digital downloads. it'll be interesting see how both forms of media distribution will fare in 2015 and beyond.
  • Reply 252 of 421
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

i disagree. the format has been on the consumer market, worldwide, since June 2006 and its adoption continues forward. Blu-ray is a viable alternative to digital downloads. it'll be interesting see how both forms of media distribution will fare in 2015 and beyond.

Don't forget that DVD is still a very strong digital format worldwide and it may still be one of the major media format in 2015.
  • Reply 253 of 421
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Don't forget that DVD is still a very strong digital format worldwide and it may still be one of the major media format in 2015.

yes. physical media will be around for quite some time. inexpensive and reliable high speed connectivity to the Internet is not as ubiquitous as some people like to believe.

one of the most connected countries in the world, South Korea, won't have 100Mbps as a standard until 2013. Seoul will be the exception where its current 100Mbps services will be upgraded to 1Gbps by 2013. aside from Hong Kong, Singapore, the Netherlands and Finland, everyone else is likely far behind the curve (or will provide these high speeds at high cost to the consumer).
  • Reply 254 of 421
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emacs72 View Post

yes. physical media will be around for quite some time. inexpensive and reliable high speed connectivity to the Internet is not as ubiquitous as some people like to believe.

one of the most connected countries in the world, South Korea, won't have 100Mbps as a standard until 2013. Seoul will be the exception where its current 100Mbps services will be upgraded to 1Gbps by 2013. aside from Hong Kong, Singapore, the Netherlands and Finland, everyone else is likely far behind the curve (or will provide these high speeds at high cost to the consumer).

I was in Barcelona couple of weeks ago and internet connection to check emails were just plain pain.

Atleast, some countries are more capable than others when it comes to streaming contents. It is definitely getting better for most tech savy countries creating the market for streaming technology. I wouldn't expect every country to be on board, but key countries are coming along for streaming content market.
  • Reply 255 of 421
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Netflix streaming is about to make another leap forward on the PS3 with 1080i, 5.1, and an improved UI!

http://gizmodo.com/5663821/netflix-s...disc-required3

It is great how every platform is actively striving to improve their viewing experience. The heavy competition is really working out for us consumers. And I include blu-ray in that competition as well. It seems that every major tech corporation is sinking millions into these products and services.

Now if only copyright holders would get their acts together and stop dragging their feet!
  • Reply 256 of 421
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The fact is that Netflix members are already watching more TV episodes and movies streamed instantly over the Internet than on DVDs, and we expect that trend to continue.

The Netflix Blog
  • Reply 257 of 421
    Just to wrap up on the BD progress against all other formats, it's not winning anything anytime soon.

I finally did get a standaone BD player to support 3D, Panasonic BDT300, and it is still very sluggish to start up BD movies. It's really quick with boot up and opening the tray, though.

BD Live is still a beta quality format, causing more trouble than adding any values.

Now onto the streaming format thriving and being offered on most newer BD players these days and Netflix and Vudu offering SD/HD streaming contents, there is no doubt it's being adopted much quicker than any other video formats we've seen. Well, at least for those living in the place with available broadband.
  • Reply 258 of 421
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Just to wrap up on the BD progress against all other formats, it's not winning anything anytime soon.

I finally did get a standaone BD player to support 3D, Panasonic BDT300, and it is still very sluggish to start up BD movies. It's really quick with boot up and opening the tray, though.

BD Live is still a beta quality format, causing more trouble than adding any values.

Now onto the streaming format thriving and being offered on most newer BD players these days and Netflix and Vudu offering SD/HD streaming contents, there is no doubt it's being adopted much quicker than any other video formats we've seen. Well, at least for those living in the place with available broadband.

Thanks Steve Jobs

Blu-Ray is available in RedBox kiosks in the smallest of rural American towns; so much for it going the way of those elusive CD-replacement formats. Blu-ray players are showing up in houses where I least expect them; Apple TVs? Not so much. And the content available on Netflix streaming, especially HD content, is still a joke.
  • Reply 259 of 421
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Thanks Steve Jobs

Blu-Ray is available in RedBox kiosks in the smallest of rural American towns; so much for it going the way of those elusive CD-replacement formats. Blu-ray players are showing up in houses where I least expect them; Apple TVs? Not so much. And the content available on Netflix streaming, especially HD content, is still a joke.

That's good to hear, but not available in my area, though. Still yet to see one of those boxes with HD contents.

You're right. Streaming anything on a modem speed is a joke. If you like to see what streaming future is like, then try streaming HD trailers from VuDu. It's a free demonstration. Well, if you are able to.
  • Reply 260 of 421
    mglmgl Posts: 3member
    I'm torn on blu-ray. I don't need to replace my DVD player and I only have a 32" LCD. I know blu-ray would look better, but DVD is good enough given how much I use it. I think people like me are the reason blu-ray has grown so slowly. When my DVD player needs replacement, I will definitely buy a blu-ray player, but until then, I'm happy enough with my DVD player.

I think Steve Jobs has looked at the data and realized that people aren't upgrading to blu-ray fast enough to justify the costs of including it. If he wanted to push the format forward as he's done with other standards, it would be easy to include, but I don't think he has an interest in the format gaining any more ground, especially not at Apple's expense.