Touchscreen analysis shows iPhone accuracy lead over Droid

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    This made my day.

Talk about true technology.

http://www.techcrunch.net/2010/01/10...-cespool-2010/
  • Reply 22 of 56
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    I'd suggest wavy lines mean higher sampling rate. There is always tremor and breathing influence, no man is a robocop.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

But the same can be said for missing features i.e. for my own personal uses I quite often find myself needing mail and a translation app open. Or God forbid we have clipboard history. People selling clipboard apps and all they do is let you copy and paste into the app multiple times. You still have to go back into the app, copy and paste what you want then exit then go into the new app i.e. mail and paste into there. All because Apple doesn't allow app monitoring. Some of these $3.00 copy and paste apps have like a bazillion downloads and they're just a fancy UI that lets you paste text one at a time and keep a history.

Come on.

Clipboard history and at least TWO apps open at the same time. Even if they LIMITED the ONE app to MAIL app it would be light years ahead!!!

I still like my iPod Touch though. All of these things could oh so be forgiven if they include them in 4.0.

I am not sure if this is what you want or even referred to, but "Pastebot"* and its free "Pastebot Sync" app for your Mac are two great clipboard apps. The reviews all rate it at the top?

I personally use it with Dragon Dictation on my iPhone ( especially connected on my TomTom Car Kit) which I would rate both 4.5 stars. Note Dragon Dictation**,***,?? along (as well as Dragon Search) is still free.

*http://tapbots.com/pastebot/

?http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...oard-items.ars

**http://www.dragonmobileapps.com/appl..._overview.html

***http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-on-iphone.ars

??http://www.iphonejd.com/iphone_jd/20...dictation.html
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One user commenting on the results wrote, "accuracy does matter, as anyone who has used a Droid vs an iPhone can tell you. It is much easier to accurately touch small HTML links on the iPhone than the Droid without zooming in, as one example. One can definitely feel the difference in everyday use in the greater accuracy the iPhone has over other touchscreen phones."

Am I reading this right???? Is Appleinsder actually using completely unsubstantiated anonymous comments and reporting them as if this were actual verifiable user experiences? I could care less about the argument, but Appleinsider needs someone to tell them that random people posting on the internet don't qualify as trustworthy sources for real world experiences. If Appleinsider feels that its important to draw conclusions beyond the scope of the article they are reporting on, then they should get off their asses and verify this behavior for themselves with a few simple tests (go ahead AI, if you like when other sites link to you and say "Appleinsider is reporting" maybe you should think about meeting some minimal diligence as a journalist and pick up the devices for yourself).

Seriously, would any poster on this forum be dumb enough to post a link to a comment on another forum from a random person and say "you need to read this because this guy over in this other forum says it matters and he says he has tried it out himself and it completely verifies what this article is saying and there's no way the guy could could be lying or exaggerating but it certainly makes sense because he is reinforcing what I want to hear and therefore you really need to read it"

They would be eviscerated.
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Seriously, would any poster on this forum be dumb enough to post a link to a comment on another forum from a random person and say "you need to read this because this guy over in this other forum says it matters and he says he has tried it out himself and it completely verifies what this article is saying and there's no way the guy could could be lying or exaggerating but it certainly makes sense because he is reinforcing what I want to hear and therefore you really need to read it"

They would be eviscerated.

Unfortunately they do and unfortunately they aren't.

Most of the trollers subsist in the bowels of the earth as evidenced by their commentaries.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I am not sure if this is what you want or even referred to, but "Pastebot"* and its free "Pastebot Sync" app for your Mac are two great clipboard apps. The reviews all rate it at the top?

I personally use it with Dragon Dictation on my iPhone ( especially connected on my TomTom Car Kit) which I would rate both 4.5 stars. Note Dragon Dictation**,***,?? along (as well as Dragon Search) is still free.

*http://tapbots.com/pastebot/

?http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...oard-items.ars

**http://www.dragonmobileapps.com/appl..._overview.html

***http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-on-iphone.ars

??http://www.iphonejd.com/iphone_jd/20...dictation.html

Yes I was talking about them but refuse to give free PR to apps when all they do is store pasted text. I can do the same with Notes. I don't care about the UI. Thanks for the info though. Unfortunately along with countless others who bought that app, I didn't know it wasn't true clipboard history. A lot of the developers have changed their app descriptions because people thought they were getting clipboard history. But it's not their fault they can't monitor other apps.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

As far as multitasking goes that is a double edge sword. I know my current 3G has limited capability here, in fact it probably would greatly impact usability. But it is clear that such an ability is the only way to deliver some really neat functionality. Further notifications and other work arounds that Apple has talked about are very limited solutions. Multitasking should be a given on the next generation hardware. In the end it is about resources (RAM & Processor performance) and having the ability to use them, one more generation ought to give us those resources.

The current iPhone 3G[s] (and even the 3G) is perfectly capable of decent multitasking/app backgrounding - I know from personal experience because I've been doing it for quite some time on both of them via the jailbreak app called Backgrounder. Throw in the recently released ProSwitcher and you have a CoverFlow-like UI (or Palm Pre-ish) that makes switching between running apps very smooth and slick.

There's no reason for Apple to have put this off for new hardware other than some anal view of UI they have.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wonder how the original and 3G iPhones would compare to the 3GS, as well as how v1.x and v2.x compared to the current iPhone OS version they tested it on.

The 3G and the 3G[s] use the same glass and digitizer, so they should compare the same, unless processor is involved. That said, I think it's irrelevant. Why would you want to compare Apple's old technology to the NEW technology from Motorola and HTC? That's the same logic as those defending all the faults of the current batch of new Android phones by pointing out that Apple's original iPhones didn't do this or didn't do that. Doesn't matter, does it? Because Apple was the only game in town at the time and the Motorolas and HTCs of that time did nothing. Compare the current available models now, that's all that matters.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I'd suggest wavy lines mean higher sampling rate. There is always tremor and breathing influence, no man is a robocop.

I was going to post the same thing. In fact, if you look closely at the video demo, the guy's finger really seems especially unsteady while doing the Droid. I'm not accusing of any malfeasance, but it crossed my mind that the difference was so pronounced against the other two phones that I wondered if MOTO had an agenda to prove.

I'd be much more satisfied with the legitimacy of this comparison if they had used some kind of template to draw the lines, and better yet, some kind of mechanical or robotic finger to do the drawing that absolutely guaranteed no human shakey-finger influenced the test. Yes, in real world the human finger is there, but it would be interesting to see if it's the human finger, or the software, or the hardware that causes the apparent problem.

That said, like someone else mentioned above, I also wondered if the higher resolution, or higher sampling of the faster processor made the difference here, and if Apple will face the same issue. Who knows, maybe Apple chose to forego higher screen resolutions EXACTLY for this reason...?
  • Reply 29 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I can back this up, I now had a chance to use both the Droid and CLIQ from Motorola for the past few weeks and the touch screen accuracy is poor at best when compared to any of the iphones and I have used all 3 version. I do not believe it is a hardware issue but the software algorithm that Google is implementing in Android.

I found that on the Motorola phones you point at something and found it missed or selected something else that you did not want. Sometime just moving your hand over the phone or finger near the display will cause one of the feature to be activated.

The other very noticeable issue is when you have other programs running in the background the responsiveness of display varies. You touch the display as you press again only to have it activation another function which you may not have wanted, or worse another delay and you go to press something and the previous touch registered and finally executed and you find yourself 2 or 3 level down a path without know it.

The other thing I notice is when you scroll the display to move across windows or through the app list it will select something in the window or an app and launches it. This is a real pain to deal with.

I think Apple was smart not allowing background tasks, yes these phone can handle it but it comes at a price, Battery life is one of them and responsiveness to the current task you are trying to do. On both the Droid and CLIQ you can have old tasked running without knowing it only to find out 4 or 5 hours later your battery is almost dead. I have to install a process monitor app so I can go and kill processes I no longer want running.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:

But the same can be said for missing features i.e. for my own personal uses I quite often find myself needing mail and a translation app open. Or God forbid we have clipboard history. People selling clipboard apps and all they do is let you copy and paste into the app multiple times. You still have to go back into the app, copy and paste what you want then exit then go into the new app i.e. mail and paste into there. All because Apple doesn't allow app monitoring. Some of these $3.00 copy and paste apps have like a bazillion downloads and they're just a fancy UI that lets you paste text one at a time and keep a history.

Come on.

Clipboard history and at least TWO apps open at the same time. Even if they LIMITED the ONE app to MAIL app it would be light years ahead!!!

I still like my iPod Touch though. All of these things could oh so be forgiven if they include them in 4.0.

These are all valid points, but the interface is the single most important feature, period.

(Hence the Macintosh computer itself)
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

I was going to post the same thing. In fact, if you look closely at the video demo, the guy's finger really seems especially unsteady while doing the Droid. I'm not accusing of any malfeasance, but it crossed my mind that the difference was so pronounced against the other two phones that I wondered if MOTO had an agenda to prove.

I'd be much more satisfied with the legitimacy of this comparison if they had used some kind of template to draw the lines, and better yet, some kind of mechanical or robotic finger to do the drawing that absolutely guaranteed no human shakey-finger influenced the test. Yes, in real world the human finger is there, but it would be interesting to see if it's the human finger, or the software, or the hardware that causes the apparent problem.

That said, like someone else mentioned above, I also wondered if the higher resolution, or higher sampling of the faster processor made the difference here, and if Apple will face the same issue. Who knows, maybe Apple chose to forego higher screen resolutions EXACTLY for this reason...?

Apple paid attention, while Google/HTC didn't, I dare say. Sampling rate adjustments, programmatic corrections, "whatever" /(c) Steve Ballmer/
  • Reply 32 of 56
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:

I wonder how the original and 3G iPhones would compare to the 3GS, as well as how v1.x and v2.x compared to the current iPhone OS version they tested it on.

I have all 3 models of iPhone and the screens all perform the exact same way.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I assume that Apple doesn't manufacturer its own panels. Do any of the other phones in this comparison use the same panel as Apple?

Judging by the resultsm and the fact that all three phones run the same OS, the Droid, Droid Eris and Nexus One must all use different panels.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Hmm, I've just tried that same test on my HTC Hero, and the lines are all smooth and straight, and right to the edge. Of course I used two different apps - MagicMarker and FingerPaint, rather than writing my own - just to check. Maybe writing their own software is the fault here? Or maybe the software I used has its own interpolation algorithms, whilst the iPhone implements it as part of the OS...

As someone else pointed out, it looks like the person's finger was actually very jittery. Hardly a fair or reasonable test.

Background applications work on Android, but applications should be mandated to have a quit option so you can totally exit them. I haven't run out of memory yet, but the device does feel slower after running a load (until I kill them with a task manager - see that Keynote SJ did where he mentions such ridiculousness with WinMo in the past). Then again the Hero is an older design with a CPU that's comparable to the ARM11 in the iPod Touch 2G. The music software doesn't handle gapless playback either (maybe fixed in Android 2.x though...).

The mini-USB port on the HTC Hero (and their other phones) is in fact an 11-pin connector that also has audio signals, but you can also use standard mini-USB chargers. Not quite a dock connector, but not only a USB port.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    How do you do that?

On the Magic the corner of the plug is cut off, a mini USB won't fit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

The mini-USB port on the HTC Hero (and their other phones) is in fact an 11-pin connector that also has audio signals, but you can also use standard mini-USB chargers. Not quite a dock connector, but not only a USB port.

• Reply 36 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

The 3G and the 3G[s] use the same glass and digitizer, so they should compare the same, unless processor is involved. That said, I think it's irrelevant. Why would you want to compare Apple's old technology to the NEW technology from Motorola and HTC?

My interest has nothing to do with the iPhone?s competition. I want to see if Apple has improved in this area since its first iteration. I am also not convinced that having the digitizer is the only thing. Recall the 3G?s camera getting much better with only firmware update. Processor, drivers, OS-level software can all contribute to how well the data is interpreted, hence my wish to see how previous major releases fair.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I think Apple was smart not allowing background tasks, yes these phone can handle it but it comes at a price, Battery life is one of them and responsiveness to the current task you are trying to do. On both the Droid and CLIQ you can have old tasked running without knowing it only to find out 4 or 5 hours later your battery is almost dead. I have to install a process monitor app so I can go and kill processes I no longer want running.

I have to disagree. It's the argument of who knows better, the user or Apple. Frankly, I think I know better how I want to use my device, and what trade-offs I am willing to accept.

Apple could have (should have, IMO) allowed an advanced setting to enable background apps and thrown in a warning that backgrounded apps might chew up battery life at a quicker pace. I certainly don't have any major issues with battery life compared with backgrounding vs not unless the radio is involved (ie, Pandora, iHeart Radio, etc)...and the radio apps chew up the battery whether backgrounded or not.

Granted, Apple is targeting at the masses, not advanced users, and this was fine the first couple of years, but the problem is now that there are serious competitors to the iPhone in both hardware and software, the advanced users may start switching, and as we switch, our recommendations may switch too.

I've advised a dozen or more friends to go to the iPhone the last couple of years. If I switch to Android and start recommending it over the iPhone, I am certain most of those friends will follow along.

Apple shouldn't ignore some of these issues much longer.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    Quote:

Come on.

I agree a 100%. Let say we could switch apps by a gesture motion while holding the home key, like make a circle by going downwards and upwards again, the full-screen app would shrink like a card no seriously and it would roll to the bottom of a stack while the other app in the background would pop-up top. What do you say about that?
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Quote:

My interest has nothing to do with the iPhone?s competition. I want to see if Apple has improved in this area since its first iteration. I am also not convinced that having the digitizer is the only thing. Recall the 3G?s camera getting much better with only firmware update. Processor, drivers, OS-level software can all contribute to how well the data is interpreted, hence my wish to see how previous major releases fair.

Fair enough. I actually glossed over the reference you made to the prior OS versions when I first read your post...that of course would be interesting.
  • Reply 40 of 56
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I recently got to play with a Palm Pre at a concert I was at. The individual did international business and traveled a lot, which was part of his reasoning behind his purchase. Price being the other.

I was quite impressed. The GUI was real slick and intuitive, but what impressed me most was how it handled multiple applications ( not much different then exposé).

As far as the phone itself, it felt cheaper and clunky compared to the iPhone, and how anyone can type a message on those tiny keypads is still a mystery to me

The accuracy and response was not as sharp as the iPhone, and there was a slight delay in some cases, it felt as if it was a graphics problem more then the touchpad.

The screen was bright and the colours were vibrant, yet the overall appearance felt cramped because of the 'frame' they put around it. (Apple did it right by extending the the glass over the entire surface).... I don't understand people who put case's and covers on their iphones... changes the entire feel and user experience of the device.

Can't wait until Apple gives us multiple application ability. This summer?