Touchscreen analysis shows iPhone accuracy lead over Droid

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A test comparing the accuracy and sensitivity of smartphone touchscreens across various makers gave the iPhone top marks ahead of HTC's Droid Eris and the Google-branded Nexus One, and much better results than the Motorola Droid.

The results, published by MOTO labs, noted that the company (which has no relation to Motorola) "has years of experience developing products that use capacitive touch, and we?ve had the opportunity to test many of the latest devices. Our conclusion: All touchscreens are not created not equal."

To demonstrate the differences, MOTO developed a simple test applying finger pressure across the screen using a drawing app. Accurate touchscreen performance comes from a variety of factors, the company reported, noting that screen sensitivity is a combination of hardware component quality and design and software integration.

Under light pressure, the iPhone passed the test with straight, unbroken lines, with only a loss in sensitivity occurring at the extreme edges of the device. The Droid Eris, Nexus One and Droid all experienced stair-stepping accuracy problems.

"On inferior touchscreens, it?s basically impossible to draw straight lines," MOTO reports. "Instead, the lines look jagged or zig-zag, no matter how slowly you go, because the sensor size is too big, the touch-sampling rate is too low, and/or the algorithms that convert gestures into images are too non-linear to faithfully represent user inputs."

"This is important," MOTO explained, "because quick keyboard use and light flicks on the screen really push the limits of the touch panel?s ability to sense."

One user commenting on the results wrote, "accuracy does matter, as anyone who has used a Droid vs an iPhone can tell you. It is much easier to accurately touch small HTML links on the iPhone than the Droid without zooming in, as one example. One can definitely feel the difference in everyday use in the greater accuracy the iPhone has over other touchscreen phones."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Good to see these things that can’t be easily stated on a spec sheet quantified to some degree.

I wonder how the Palm Pre would do in this test?
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Just shows Apples attention to the user experience, they want it so streamlined and fluid. The rumored tablet is lookin to knock us on our ass again, deja vu back to 07.
  • Reply 3 of 56
    Having both used Droids and owning an iPhone, I can totally support this article. My mothers Droid's touchscreen was a pain to work with, nothing felt fluid or accurate, and fast motions never translated well.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Just reaffirms my belief that no matter how fast, advanced, cutting-edge, etc. the hardware may be, it's of absolutely no use if the software is not up to snuff. Vice versa as well. It's what the other manufacturers just refuse to acknowledge in their path to out-do Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I'm Apple all the way but to some people other functionality might be more important than precise touch 100% all of the time. i.e. multiple open apps, printing, blah blah blah.

Unless your doing a lot of text I don't see pin point accuracy being that important. Maybe if you want to quickly hide the boobs photo from your boss and accidentally load a shlong shot.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The results, published by MOTO labs, noted that the company (which has no relation to Motorola) "has years of experience developing products that use capacitive touch, and we?ve had the opportunity to test many of the latest devices. Our conclusion: All touchscreens are not created not equal."

I don't not misunderstand that quote.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Another story of Apple's superiority.

It doesn't suprise, but lets hear from all the trolls on the board ...
  • Reply 8 of 56
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

I'm Apple all the way but to some people other functionality might be more important than precise touch 100% all of the time. i.e. multiple open apps, printing, blah blah blah.

Unless your doing a lot of text I don't see pin point accuracy being that important. Maybe if you want to quickly hide the boobs photo from your boss and accidentally load a shlong shot.

It's not the individual actions, it's the sum of the whole experience. Each little inaccuracy adds up to a whole lot of frustration over the life of the device.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    the only issue with the iPhone screen is that the bottom few pixels of the screen have no detection. Try drawing on the very bottom of the screen in an app like sketches and you cant.

This is the same on the original iPhone, the 3G and also the 3GS

Apart from that the sensors are spot on.

This has also been tested on the Nexus one and although it fairs better than the droid it is still not as good as the iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    oc4theooc4theo Posts: 294member
    Nothing beats the iPhone. The rest are just imitators, and will always be playing catch-up. The only phone I will ever use that is not an iPhone, is any other phone made by Apple. The experience can't be matched.

• Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

It's not the individual actions, it's the sum of the whole experience. Each little inaccuracy adds up to a whole lot of frustration over the life of the device.

But the same can be said for missing features i.e. for my own personal uses I quite often find myself needing mail and a translation app open. Or God forbid we have clipboard history. People selling clipboard apps and all they do is let you copy and paste into the app multiple times. You still have to go back into the app, copy and paste what you want then exit then go into the new app i.e. mail and paste into there. All because Apple doesn't allow app monitoring. Some of these $3.00 copy and paste apps have like a bazillion downloads and they're just a fancy UI that lets you paste text one at a time and keep a history.

Come on.

Clipboard history and at least TWO apps open at the same time. Even if they LIMITED the ONE app to MAIL app it would be light years ahead!!!

I still like my iPod Touch though. All of these things could oh so be forgiven if they include them in 4.0.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It's free and it's called Notes, they'll even sync with Mail on a Mac via MobileMe if you have it.

Here is some text I cut and pasted using an HTC Magic, Android phone:-

! Check the official statement of Eric Lin(HTC)"The Magic being sold in most of Asia is not a Google experience phone so we have started to put some of the HTC special sauce into Android. That Magic has started to put some of the HTC special sauce into Android. That Magic has Exchange support, a much more responsive and full featured camera application, a custom dialer application with smart dial and additional widgets as well." custom dialer application with smart dial and additional widgets as well."

This is what was copied:-

Check the official statement of Eric Lin(HTC):

"The Magic being sold in most of Asia is not a Google experience phone so we have started to put some of the HTC special sauce into Android. That Magic has Exchange support, a much more responsive and full featured camera application, a custom dialer application with smart dial and additional widgets as well."

You may notice a slight problem with the accuracy.

Quote:

But the same can be said for missing features i.e. for my own personal uses I quite often find myself needing mail and a translation app open. Or God forbid we have clipboard history. People selling clipboard apps and all they do is let you copy and paste into the app multiple times. You still have to go back into the app, copy and paste what you want then exit then go into the new app i.e. mail and paste into there. All because Apple doesn't allow app monitoring. Some of these $3.00 copy and paste apps have like a bazillion downloads and they're just a fancy UI that lets you paste text one at a time and keep a history.

Come on.

Clipboard history and at least TWO apps open at the same time. Even if they LIMITED the ONE app to MAIL app it would be light years ahead!!!

I still like my iPod Touch though. All of these things could oh so be forgiven if they include them in 4.0.

• Reply 13 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It's free and it's called Notes, they'll even sync with Mail on a Mac via MobileMe if you have it.

Notes is NOT clipboard history. Yes we already know you can paste into notes. Heck you can paste into an email draft if you wish.

I want clipboard history that is available with 3rd party apps on OS X. Even if it's not accurate at least I can edit it.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I say system because there is more to it than the touch screen sensor. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the sensor isn't the same from one phone to another. In a sense what MOTO is really describing is software behaviour with respect to how to convert user input to on screen graphical elements. On the other hand Apple probably has a big advantage in the lower resolution screen of the iPhone.

Whatever it is I've become a big champion of iPhone dueto the way it behaves. This to me is the key. Yes iPhone has short comings ( multitasking user apps & no scripting come to mind) , but these are overshadowed by the class leading performance of the device overall.

As far as multitasking goes that is a double edge sword. I know my current 3G has limited capability here, in fact it probably would greatly impact usability. But it is clear that such an ability is the only way to deliver some really neat functionality. Further notifications and other work arounds that Apple has talked about are very limited solutions. Multitasking should be a given on the next generation hardware. In the end it is about resources (RAM & Processor performance) and having the ability to use them, one more generation ought to give us those resources.

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 56
    My experience with both the Droid and the iPhone 3G/3Gs definitely echo this demonstration.

Those who band-wagon jumped onto the Droid instead of waiting for Snapdragon powered alternatives may begin kicking themselves repeatedly now. Unless, of course, they're swamped in denial.

The keyboard sucks, the touch screen sucks... how are you supposed to interact with the phone? Shake it in morse code?
  • Reply 16 of 56
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    This just makes me even more greatful for what apple has managed to achieve.
  • Reply 17 of 56
    This is difference between a genius CEO vs the others.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I wonder how the original and 3G iPhones would compare to the 3GS, as well as how v1.x and v2.x compared to the current iPhone OS version they tested it on.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:

lol. funny...
  • Reply 20 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The time spent editing is longer than the time it takes to open and close Apps on an iPhone especially when the clipboard gets as badly jumbled as in the example from a Google experience Magic running Android 1.5 I gave.

How they coming along with copying from non-text entry fields in Android?

They got system wide cut and paste down pat yet?

Quote:

I want clipboard history that is available with 3rd party apps on OS X. Even if it's not accurate at least I can edit it.