Apple's next-gen, dual-core iPhone could debut in April - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 152
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

This new iPhone better have matte display option or some heads gonna roll.

Absolutely no way on an iPhone, and totally no need. You can VERY easily simply turn the screen to reduce/eliminate glare. Personally, I don't have an issue with the glossy displays (admittedly I don't have one) but I can see the argument against them on the iMacs. This just doesn't make any sense at all on the iPhone though.
  • Reply 42 of 152
    \ dual core ?! That's pretty much amazing if it'll boost performance dramatically.

When I picture dual core, it seems like a chip that is somewhat as thick as 3/4" of an iPhone and wouldn't that add a little more weight ?
  • Reply 43 of 152
    Folks, the rumor clearly states that there will be a "removable battery."

Has anyone noticed that Apple has not shipped a product with a removable battery since oh, I don't know, late 2009??

This is clearly FAKE.

Next we're going to hear that it has a front-facing webcam for video chats and gesture recognition.
  • Reply 44 of 152
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I hope the new iPhone has real Quartz support.

Mobile fantasy:

Quartz

multitask

5mp camera minimum

video iChat

dual processor

battery with double the life or a removable one
  • Reply 45 of 152
    I agree with others that the removable battery sounds suspicious. Additionally, I wouldn't want a removable battery. It would ruin some of the tactile sexiness of the iPhone.
  • Reply 46 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I agree with others that the removable battery sounds suspicious. Additionally, I wouldn't want a removable battery. It would ruin some of the tactile sexiness of the iPhone.

99% of people have a cover on the iPhone so you wouldn't miss a beat with sexiness.I haven't looked at the silver sexiness of my iPod Touch since I bought it. A waste really but like others I don't want it scratched up. Now that I think about it the iPhone isn't even sexy silver on the back right? It's either black or white. So what's the big deal?
  • Reply 47 of 152
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Video chat is a gimmick.
  • Reply 48 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Video chat is a gimmick.

No a pretty blue backlit keyboard is a gimmick because it should be on all Apple laptops but apparently it's a feature that only pro video editors and musicians use
  • Reply 49 of 152
    Quote:

Video chat is a gimmick.

So were touchscreens.
  • Reply 50 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

Absolutely no way on an iPhone, and totally no need. You can VERY easily simply turn the screen to reduce/eliminate glare. Personally, I don't have an issue with the glossy displays (admittedly I don't have one) but I can see the argument against them on the iMacs. This just doesn't make any sense at all on the iPhone though.

Add to the fact that a matte display is UNREADABLE in direct sunlight.

http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/images...nlight_710.jpg

Notice the one on the left is GLOSSY and the right MATTE. Thats all.
  • Reply 51 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The touchscreen works behind the matte film?

got a link?

Also it could be hard to clean and wear out, peal and whatnot.

It would be better if Apple used a better form of glass with anti-glare/reflection properties built into the glass itself.

Of course the screens themselves are now glossy, so I don't know how that would work, but something has to be done.

10" with glare and reflections is going to suck @ss. Sure make it hard to read.

The anti-glare screen protectors I use are really good. I should say screen protector, because I've never changed it. It cleans easily, and hasn't peeled at all. Just make sure you apply with no bubbles, not that hard to do either.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS...co=MTM3NTI1ODk
  • Reply 52 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

...An external battery serves the same purpose as a second battery for those who need it anyway. Swappable batteries are nice for some but not used by the majority of people.

A external battery doesn't help if the first one fails like they usually do.

The difference between a user-serviceable and a locked battery is the headache involved if it fails.

One can have a second (internal) battery ready to go if the first one fails.

Can't do that with a locked battery, the whole machine has to go in for expensive service, which is impractical and possibly out of reach for a device that's going to replace the $1000 MacBook price point.
  • Reply 53 of 152
    EDITED because there are morons here
  • Reply 54 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

This new iPhone better have matte display option or some heads gonna roll.

Please, Apple, at least give us back FireWire like the first iPods!!

• Reply 55 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

The anti-glare screen protectors I use are really good. I should say screen protector, because I've never changed it. It cleans easily, and hasn't peeled at all. Just make sure you apply with no bubbles, not that hard to do either.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS...co=MTM3NTI1ODk

Well, well, well. Apple selling such a thing goes to show glare and reflections are a significant issue.

Now if they would apply such a film to glossy Mac's sold in the stores and display them, they would solve a lot of complaint issues.

Or just use a better grade of anti-glare/reflective glass to begin with.

SO stupid we have to pay more for a add on, but that's the Apple way, pay, pay, pay.
  • Reply 56 of 152
    OLED screen - Very likely. Unlike last year, the time is right this year.

Removeable Battery - Very unlikely. With the iPod Nano being an exception, Apple generally doesn't do design reverts.

Video Chat - Could go either way. I'm sure Apple would love to implement this. I'm also sure AT&T would curse them to hell behind closed doors. You think AT&T and their customers are bitching now because of congestion? Just wait.
  • Reply 57 of 152
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:

Video chat is a gimmick.

Completely agree. Of all of the things on individual "wish-lists" for the iPhone, front-facing camera, and the removable battery are the 2 I cannot understand (there are more that are silly, but those are the 2 I question most)

Leave the gimmicks to Android.
  • Reply 58 of 152
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluefyre View Post

It is unpossible!!!!

You exaggugrate - unprobable maybe, unpossible? Not at all.
  • Reply 59 of 152
    It's going to be a new business oriented bPhone that works in the enterprise. Removal battery, a necessity, plus they sell another battery with every phone. More revenue and an easy sale.
  • Reply 60 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Well, well, well. Apple selling such a thing goes to show glare and reflections are a significant issue.

Now if they would apply such a film to glossy Mac's sold in the stores and display them, they would solve a lot of complaint issues.

Or just use a better grade of anti-glare/reflective glass to begin with.

SO stupid we have to pay more for a add on, but that's the Apple way, pay, pay, pay.

You can read into it as you like, but the reason I bought mine was to protect the screen. It actually makes the colors seem a little washed out compared to the clear version they sell.

I do agree with the glossy screen issue on the iMacs and Macbook Pros. They have resolved that issue for the portables in my opinion. Before there was an option, there were many petitions and forum discussions about this, and the consensus was people were willing to pay for an anti-glare option. If Apple as a business decision wants to stock one screen type only, it brings costs down. If you want a different screen, they are willing to make it happen, you just have to pay for the extra stock. It's good for both business and consumers this way. Why they don't have it for the iMac is beyond me, they've had long enough to figure it out.