Apple's next-gen, dual-core iPhone could debut in April - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

You exaggugrate - unprobable maybe, unpossible? Not at all.

I bent my wookie.

Quote:

Completely agree. Of all of the things on individual "wish-lists" for the iPhone, front-facing camera, and the removable battery are the 2 I cannot understand (there are more that are silly, but those are the 2 I question most)

Leave the gimmicks to Android.

Are you seriously trying to say removable batteries are a gimmick?
  • Reply 62 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Add to the fact that a matte display is UNREADABLE in direct sunlight.

http://www.ruggedpcreview.com/images...nlight_710.jpg

Notice the one on the left is GLOSSY and the right MATTE. Thats all.

No, the glossy screen isn't in direct sunlight relative to the picture taker in the link you supplied, only the matte screen is.

Notice the matte screen, see how the light is stronger in the upper right hand corner? That's the edge of the light source and it decreases as it goes across the matte screen, disappears on the glossy screen because it's not turned into the light source.

Glossy screens are ALSO unreadable in direct sunlight and nearly every other direction in bright conditions, unlike matte screens.

Here see this for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X0wo6dIsMU
  • Reply 63 of 152
    A removable battery along with a faster processor, FM radio, improved camera with a flash, improved microphone for better call quality (please!), video chat capabilities; updated UI-- including an addition of a 'home screen' similar to that of Android would all make this my dream device. Wishful thinking for the most part. An OLED screen sounds like it would be amazing too but I still haven't heard wether it is really so affected by the sun as to render it an issue.
  • Reply 64 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Motlee View Post

Completely agree. Of all of the things on individual "wish-lists" for the iPhone, front-facing camera, and the removable battery are the 2 I cannot understand (there are more that are silly, but those are the 2 I question most)

Leave the gimmicks to Android.

So you can drunk video call someone, or pocket dial a video conference. That would make for great YouTube videos

Removable battery for the iPhone is dumb...for laptops it should be there. My battery had the service indicator show up on my MacBook Pro after 18 months, and I have AppleCare. They denied me to change it as it had 280 cycles, and it was "used up". What the hell does that mean? The point of a warranty is that it will work correctly through the term of the warranty period or it gets fixed. There is no such thing "used up". I don't want to deal with an hour trip to the Apple Store to replace the battery, or worse, lose the laptop for a week while it goes to Texas to get replaced.
  • Reply 65 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by i_i View Post

huh, don't need everyone calling bs just because the battery. maybe the oled screen is much thinner or other components are smaller and they just have a lot of extra space for something like a removable battery compartment? since the size of the unit overall has to be roughly the same size anyway to be useable

Actually, more likely they'd just add a bigger battery inside all that space...kind of like they did with the MacBook Pros when they went unibody.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

The touchscreen works behind the matte film?

got a link?

Also it could be hard to clean and wear out, peal and whatnot.

A few others have posted they use anti-glare screen protectors. I used them for a while, but I prefer the gloss in the end. I don't even use a screen protector on my 3G[s].

Touch screen works perfectly under these things, even underneath the very thick Zagg Invisible Sheilds. I had one of those on my original iPhone 2G.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

I charge my iPhone every other day, that is hardly all the time (but still bad for a phone). The exception would be playing games on it for extended periods of time, something I rarely do.

An external battery serves the same purpose as a second battery for those who need it anyway. Swappable batteries are nice for some but not used by the majority of people.

I can rarely make it through a day on one charge, but I'm almost always near a charger and 20 minutes in the dock on my desk or in my car a couple of times during the daty does wonders for extending the life of the iPhone. For the times a dock won't be nearby, the Mophie Juice Packs are very nice cases and battery extenders wrapped up in one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by universeman View Post

Has anyone noticed that Apple has not shipped a product with a removable battery since oh, I don't know, late 2009??

Late 2009? As in 1-3 months ago? That's not a very long time.
  • Reply 66 of 152
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Action: To hype the competitor

Goal: To disappoint competitor customers

Result: Apple still on top...
  • Reply 67 of 152
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

I can rarely make it through a day on one charge, but I'm almost always near a charger and 20 minutes in the dock on my desk or in my car a couple of times during the daty does wonders for extending the life of the iPhone. For the times a dock won't be nearby, the Mophie Juice Packs are very nice cases and battery extenders wrapped up in one.

Do you drop in and out of cell coverage a lot? The battery drains fast if it is always looking for a network.
  • Reply 68 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

SRemovable battery for the iPhone is dumb...for laptops it should be there. My battery had the service indicator show up on my MacBook Pro after 18 months, and I have AppleCare. They denied me to change it as it had 280 cycles, and it was "used up". What the hell does that mean? The point of a warranty is that it will work correctly through the term of the warranty period or it gets fixed. There is no such thing "used up". I don't want to deal with an hour trip to the Apple Store to replace the battery, or worse, lose the laptop for a week while it goes to Texas to get replaced.

Wow. I had TWO MacBook Pro (2006 model) batteries replaced under AppleCare without any questions. On one of them the Genius didn't even turn on my computer to check it out, he just took my word for it that the life was unacceptable and handed me a replacement.
  • Reply 69 of 152
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

I can't believe nobody mentioned this...but a removable battery? No way...that makes this source uncredible. :-)

Never say never with Apple.
  • Reply 70 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Do you drop in and out of cell coverage a lot? The battery drains fast if it is always looking for a network.

No, not really. I get 5 bars almost everywhere I go, even inside my house. I am just a real heavy user of network connect apps, and I like the screen brightness very bright.
  • Reply 71 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluefyre View Post

So were touchscreens.

No they were not.
  • Reply 72 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No they were not.

Yes, they were. Or so everyone claims. Everything is a gimmick until it finds its niche.
  • Reply 73 of 152
    Quote:

Yes, they were.

No they were not. They have been on video cameras for years, and to good effect. Result being you didn't need to have 60 physical buttons on the video camera, just an elegant touchscreen with a simple menu system. There's nothing gimmicky about that.

However, looking at a person's face when I don't need to is a gimmick. I can tell everything by listening to the persons voice, thus it's more efficient. Not to mention the last thing we need is everyone walking around not looking where they are going. You're wrong.
  • Reply 74 of 152
    Quote:

If the design size of the 10" iSlate can handle a battery that only lasts 4 or 5 hours, it certainly would be removable to extend it's usage.

why? there are many third-party external batteries/chargers, even the solar ones. If someone needs more working hours on the go, what would be the difference between removable extra battery and external battery/charger?
  • Reply 75 of 152
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:

The touchscreen works behind the matte film?

got a link?

Also it could be hard to clean and wear out, peal and whatnot.

I honestly don't recall the brand I bought, but I got a pack of 10 matte covers for the screen when I got my phone 2 years ago.

They work beautifully and I've still got two left. I only change them when they get really scratched and filthy.

They have no effect on the touch interface.
  • Reply 76 of 152
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Officials at KT, the exclusive provider of the iPhone in South Korea, have allegedly said Apple could debut a new iPhone with an OLED screen, video chat and a removable battery as soon as April.

All good news. Will it also have software improvements sufficient to catch up to the market?
  • Reply 77 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No they were not. They have been on video cameras for years, and to good effect. Result being you didn't need to have 60 physical buttons on the video camera, just an elegant touchscreen with a simple menu system. There's nothing gimmicky about that.

However, looking at a person's face when I don't need to is a gimmick. I can tell everything by listening to the persons voice, thus it's more efficient. Not to mention the last thing we need is everyone walking around not looking where they are going. You're wrong.

Again. Touchscreens were considered nothing more than gimmicks until they found their place. You can claim otherwise all you want, but you are wrong. Don't try to argue that touchscreens were not gimmicks with someone who has been knee deep in the technology for ~20 years.
  • Reply 78 of 152
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

What the hell does that mean? The point of a warranty is that it will work correctly through the term of the warranty period or it gets fixed.

Warranties never cover wear parts, unless they've worn faster than expected given use. IIRC the material they provide at the time of sale specifically states what charge retention they guarantee at a given number of cycles.
  • Reply 79 of 152
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:

I bent my wookie.

Are you seriously trying to say removable batteries are a gimmick?

Not a gimmick. I just dont see the need for it in a lot of cases for the average iPhone user. (Although some instances would warrant a removable battery.)
  • Reply 80 of 152
    You may rethink that once you hit your 400 recharge cycle on your phone. Sent mine in Dec. 22 and I am still waiting to get it back (which is ~480 days from purchase). I won't buy another iPhone. A month without a phone every year and a half with the additional 100 bucks of "didn't get a phone with a replaceable battery tax" isn't worth it when the apps I use are available on other platforms...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkelly View Post

I highly doubt Apple would use a removable battery for several reasons.

First, Apple loves to use new materials. They redefined what you could do with plastics with their color iMacs, made innovations in manufacturing aluminum, and even created a new rubber like material for the non slip grip on the bottom of the new iMacs. Batteries doors almost always create design limitations. Just look at the aluminum macbook with a battery door. They went out of their way to design that door. Second, apple loves internal batteries because they allow for longer battery usage. Apple, as we all know, is a stickler when it comes to battery life. New features like an led flash or multitasking would likely suck up battery. Apple, if anything, should be trying to increase battery life. Third, I don't see much use in a removable battery. I have never wanted to swap a battery with my phone, or even my laptop for that matter. I don't really see the point; it's not like tons of people go and buy extra batteries for their phones anyway. I only think this would be a reality if Apple released a Pixi like competitor in April. I doubt Apple would break tradition and announce a new iPhone 3gs HD early. This probably means that a phone will be announced at the developers conference if they announce multiple screen resolutions. This will probably be done in order to keep their stocks under control. Imagine if apple had announced months ago the created software for a tablet but said that they had no intentions on creating a tablet device. Anyway, that is my opinion on the current situation.