Apple confirms Jan. 27 media event to show off 'latest creation'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

The teaser makes me think this is more geared toward the graphic design, photo and entertainment industry with probably mobile versions of Aperture or iPhoto and a painting program.

Maybe, I hope so. I just have this feeling that this is going to be a product that either everyone is going to completely blown away with or completely underwhelmed.
  • Reply 62 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

well, the official invite says "come see our latest CREATION". That would tell me that they only intend to show ONE (1) NEW product. Now that may be symatics becuase technically what you describe are more UPDATES to exisitng products. I don't see an iPHone mini anytime soon...

It's rare that Apple fails to make multiple annoouncements. With all that press there, why wouldn't Apple avail itself of free PR?

In the past Apple has used trade shows to launch new stuff but the company isn't going to do that any more.

Besides Apple has always referenced just one item in invitations. It's not like telling the media that a particular item will be the focus of a presser means Apple isn't allowed to talk about other items. We're talking a captive audience. If in the process of unveiling a particular product, Apple reveals details about product updates, etc., no one would protest. It would be like being invited over to someone's house for a beer and protesting because you're offered chips and dip to with the brew.

The MacBook Pros, the Mac Pros, the cinema displays, are all due for some updating. Apple could announce the product updates simply by updating the Apple Store on line but why would they do that alone if they are planning a media event for the unveiling of their latest creation? The timing of the event also suggests updates to go with the tablet unveiling. After all, if this were strictly about the tablet, which apparently will not be available for sale until March, why wait until the end of January? They could have stolen some of CES's thunder by holding their presser a lot closer to that event. On the other hand, if this is also about product updates, those would come when Apple is ready to offer the revised products for sale. Once you announce that a better, usually cheaper version of a product is about to come to market, nobody wants to buy your existing stock.

The main reason why, I think, Apple has abandoned trade shows is that those shows force the company to make announcements on the date of a given event, which for obvious reasons, has to be set well in advance. Instead, Apple didn't formally announce the Jan. 27 event until nine days before. If there had been a last-minute hiccup, Apple could easily have altered the date internally and no one would have known outside of Apple's inner circle. Apple holds events for the media when it knows that it's ready to make a good presenation. Products are subsequently not rushed into production, announced earlier than Apple would like, etc.

There is little likelihood that Apple will gather the media on the 27th and only make one announcement. Other items are going to be updated and it's a logical venue for such announcements.
  • Reply 63 of 299
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Oh jesus, they're going to make them a dozen different colors like the iPod Nano and first iBooks.

The teaser makes me think this is more geared toward the graphic design, photo and entertainment industry with probably mobile versions of Aperture or iPhoto and a painting program.

Hmmmm..... someone already reference the iPod socks, but those colors come from the iPods.....so....

Here's the current Nano pallet, also using the paint motif:

And here's the product announcement colors, again:

Could be just colors Apple likes, or the art director talks to Ives, but.... that's an exact match.
  • Reply 64 of 299
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Emerging from and replacing the confusion of multiple [paint splatters], Apple stands on the solid background of [a calming color], shining with a simple, familiar white purity which cuts through ALL the clutter.

It is a very powerful and evocative image. Apple must have just about the best PR firm in the world.

Several people have taken shots to see if something would stick on the wall and all they achieved was drippy misses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWatchfulOne View Post

What I see is that if you examine the word "latest" you will it is almost an anagram for the word "slate". After forming the word "slate", you do have one letter remaining which is the letter "t". And as we all know, "T" is the first letter in the word "tablet"!

Come, see our slate (tablet) creation!

It's so simple, a caveman could understand it!

Either it is subtle neurolinguistic hinting or Paul is dead.
  • Reply 65 of 299
    where can we watch live ?
  • Reply 66 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Maybe, I hope so. I just have this feeling that this is going to be a product that either everyone is going to completely blown away with or completely underwhelmed.

My guess is that the more sane individuals will see the potential of the device, yet realize that it will take months for developers to learn how to fully exploit the device's full capabilities.

Also, it is likely that a couple of iterations of the device will be necessary to hone the design and features, as well as bring the cost down to a more appealing range.
  • Reply 67 of 299
    Looking at the invitation:

We see a mosaic of fresh paint. Some of it even dripping down.

Where do we see such paint? From an artist.

And what does an artist work on? A Canvas.

Behold: Apple's latest creation is called the Apple Canvas.
  • Reply 68 of 299
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Could be just colors Apple likes, or the art director talks to Ives, but.... that's an exact match.

Wow! Nice catch!
  • Reply 69 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intense View Post

We have gone over this before.

Apple does not stream video from its live events.

You can follow the event via third-party livebloggers (Cnet, Gizmodo, Engadget, etc.). At some point in the future (maybe a day or two later), Apple will upload video to their own website.
  • Reply 70 of 299
    If it's the tablet, this will be HUGE. On January 28th people will be acting as if tablets had never existed before. That's how big this will be.
  • Reply 71 of 299
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Lets assume it is tablet / slate in which case it is an entirely new platform. The app developers will flock to it and in no time there will be a huge amount of apps. Hopefully also hardware add-ons like keyboards etc. will be plentiful in no time. With all that the thing can be pretty much anything and so it will come down to a) form factor - will it physically work as a portable device, will it be to heavy etc, b) price and c) computing power. This could just become the coolest little laptop you ever owned. Here's hoping.
  • Reply 72 of 299
    Quote:

I'm not sure they will broadcast video of the event live. However, the sites like AppleInsider.com, Engadget.com etc. used to publish somewhat "live" transcripts of keynotes with pictures.
  • Reply 73 of 299
    merçi !

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

I'm not sure they will broadcast video of the event live. However, the sites like AppleInsider.com, Engadget.com etc. used to publish somewhat "live" transcripts of keynotes with pictures.

• Reply 74 of 299
    Quote:

merçi !

y'a pas de quoi
  • Reply 75 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You are correct!

Which might imply that Apple see this creation as part of their iPod product line - and not part of their Mac product line.

Or perhaps we are reading far too much into the technicolor vomit?

C.
  • Reply 76 of 299
    To quote my favorite scholar, Bugs Bunny, you guys are a bunch of maroons! It is obvious that Apple is introducing the iVandal. Environmentally friendly paints that will allow vandals to be more creative and brighten up our gloomy inner city neighborhoods. And with new compression algorithms Apple will be able to fit the equivalent of one gallon of paint in a "can" the size and shape of an iPod Nano.
  • Reply 77 of 299
    As I've said previously, I believe (from what I've seen/read) that there'll be no stand-alone 'Tablet', there'll be a new iPhone hardware version with a super-fast multicore chip spawned from their PA Semi IP. There will then be an iPhone accessory which is essentially a large, multi-touch display which will house the iPhone.

The display will be OLED or PixelQI, suitable for multimedia, optimised for reading. That way, they can continue to sell iPhones, users still have one data subscription, they can still carry around one device when they need to, but have the large display of the accessory ready for reading, or whatever a large multi-touch display will be used for (judging by the advert, artisty stuff).

The accessory will also have its own battery due to the size of the screen.

Plus... it'll wash the dishes.

My 2p.
  • Reply 78 of 299
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Is it just me who would find it hilarious if Steve came on stage and just said something like, "we've re-designed our website" then wandered off!

It is just you.
  • Reply 79 of 299
    I just saw the official invitation...hmmm, a rectangular shaped object with colors all inside of it, an Apple Logo, and the phrase "come see our creation". If this isn't a big enough hint of a Tablet, Apple has a wicked sense of humor....lol.
  • Reply 80 of 299
    can i carry thing thing around my neck?

or.. how else ....