Sources detail physical design of Apple's upcoming tablet device

Comments

• Reply 201 of 257
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That seems overly bulky for Apple. I wonder if they’ll just let 3rd-parties make after-market stands to suit various needs and just keep the tablet design sleek and simple.

It is sleek and simple when it's closed. When closed the device would have the basic shape of an iPhone 3G. Keep in mind this is a rough sketch. This stand is necessary to make the device useable for typing and watching movies. They can't let third make the device useable, Apple has to build that in. This stand is fundamental to the device working as a product. And actually, if designed right I believe it could look nice. The stand has two simple functions that would be used the whole time, and when not needed it can be popped away out of sight.
  • Reply 202 of 257
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It is sleek and simple when it's closed. When closed the device would have the basic shape of an iPhone 3G. Keep in mind this is a rough sketch. This stand is necessary to make the device useable for typing and watching movies. They can't let third make the device useable, Apple has to build that in. This stand is fundamental to the device working as a product. If done right I believe it could actually look nice. The stand has two simple functions that would be used the whole time.

My concern is real world use requires certain engineering.

For instance, they need to have it so excessive pressure doesn?t bend or snap the stand, that may mean putting the fulcrum deeper inside to make it more secure and give it more resistance along the back when open. This may take up too much space in the device which many may it too bulky for Apple?s needs.

If they go thinner there is an increased risk of it breaking and requiring a replacement at Apple?s expense.

I?m not saying they won?t, as I imagine this sort of inclusion may require some trial and error to get it right, but so far I?ve seen nothing that indicate a built-in stand will be included, especially since I don?t think this device will designed primarily for typing in full-keybaord more. I?d lean more toward a separate attachment as a simple piece of plastic used for viewing in either portrait or landscape more and nothing more.
  • Reply 203 of 257
    Quote:

My concern is real world use requires certain engineering.

For instance, they need to have it so excessive pressure doesn’t bend or snap the stand, that may mean putting the fulcrum deeper inside to make it more secure and give it more resistance along the back when open. I’m not saying they won’t, as I imagine this sort of inclusion may require some trial and error to get it right, but so far I’ve seen nothing that indicate a built-in stand will be included...

Naturally.

Quote:

I’d lean more toward a separate attachment as a simple piece of plastic used for viewing in either portrait or landscape more and nothing more.

Couldn't disagree with this point more if I tried. It's fundamental to the product as far as I'm concerned. It'd be like an iPhone without an ear-piece. To me it's unavoidable.
  • Reply 204 of 257
    Working Mode - eminently doable.

But my brain says Movie Mode would require defying the laws of physics. I don't think they're that good. Even if the body of the tablet was impossibly light, that positioning would still be incredibly unstable.
  • Reply 205 of 257
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crazychester View Post

But my brain says Movie Mode would require defying the laws of physics. I don't think they're that good. Even if the body of the tablet was impossibly light, that positioning would still be incredibly unstable.

My first thought as well. There's a rumor, if I recall correctly from a source with a pretty good track record, that the tablet has a dock connector on both long and short sides. It's not hard to imagine a weighted desk accessory with a retaining lip in front, a higher, supporting back, and a dock slot that goes the entire width so the tablet could be inserted in either orientation.

A dock thing would have the advantage of being used as a charger and I/O breakout box, as well.

Oh, and I realize a thing built into the body of the tablet has the advantage of being available where ever you are, but realistically if you're going to be propping the thing up you'll probably be at home or at your office, not just out and about. If you're planning to hang at the coffee shop, you could always bring a dock/stand thing with you.
  • Reply 206 of 257
    Quote:

That would be the trick, doing it in a stable manner, like putting the battery at the rear of the tablet for example. It could be done I believe, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.
  • Reply 207 of 257
    This is probably the most exciting thing I have ever anticipated. I was looking to buy a Plastic Prologic Que, but after news of Apple coming out with one, I just have to wait. I am typing on my iMac and I love my iPhone that I bought about six weeks after it entered the market. I just have to wait until the 27th.
  • Reply 208 of 257
    Quote:

That would be the trick, doing it in a stable manner, like putting the battery at the rear of the tablet for example. It could be done I believe, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Having it thicker at top end where the battery and ports are to allow for an angled display while sitting on a flat surface sounds more likely. Then when you gold in portrait mode with one hand it could act as a grip.
  • Reply 209 of 257
    Quote:

What about, rather than a thing that hinges the full width from the down side, a narrower stick like prop that hinges from the top? So that it sits up like an easel?
  • Reply 210 of 257
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

My first thought as well. There's a rumor, if I recall correctly from a source with a pretty good track record, that the tablet has a dock connector on both long and short sides. It's not hard to imagine a weighted desk accessory with a retaining lip in front, a higher, supporting back, and a dock slot that goes the entire width so the tablet could be inserted in either orientation.

A dock thing would have the advantage of being used as a charger and I/O breakout box, as well.

As much as I like the idea of the dock, I believe without this stand as part of he device it will never be a laptop replacement. Having to always bring the dock with you just isn't a solution, it's a pain in the ass. Build the push stand into the device means you simply press a button and you can type or work away.

I'm not buying the flat angle just-like-paper argument either. It needs to be angled. Imagine your laptop screen was totally flat, it would be a nightmare.
  • Reply 211 of 257
    Quote:

As much as I like the idea of the dock, I believe without this stand as part of he device it will never be a laptop replacement. Having to always bring the dock with you just isn't a solution, it's a pain in the ass. Build the push stand into the device means you simply press a button and you can type or work away.

I'm not buying the flat angle just-like-paper argument either. It needs to be angled. Imagine your laptop screen was totally flat, it would be a nightmare.

Can't really argue with that, it just doesn't seem like there's a super clean, Apple like way to put a folding prop on the back.
  • Reply 212 of 257
    Quote:

What about, rather than a thing that hinges the full width from the down side, a narrower stick like prop that hinges from the top? So that it sits up like an easel?

That would be inelegant. This hinge would be solid aluminum and stretching across the device--it could also be nicely shaped too--so it would give a feeling that the device is solid and strong. The easily idea just wouldn't look right, even if it was thick. The push-stand would be a neater job.
  • Reply 213 of 257
    Quote:

As much as I like the idea of the dock, I believe without this stand as part of he device it will never be a laptop replacement.

I would bet the farm that the Apple tablet will be an accessory to your PC, not a replacement to your PC.
  • Reply 214 of 257
    Quote:

I would bet the farm that the Apple tablet will be an accessory to your PC, not a replacement to your PC.

This is precisely why the other companies should be worried, cause I believe this will be a laptop replacement. Let's have a revolution, not an accessory. Are Apple ambitious enough?
  • Reply 215 of 257
    Quote:

That would be inelegant. This hinge would be solid aluminum and stretching across the device--it could also be nicely shaped too--so it would give a feeling that the device is solid and strong. The easily idea just wouldn't look right, even if it was thick. The push-stand would be a neater job.

It might be less elegant, but if there were a way to do it with a modicum of style it would be way more stable. Having a few inches of base depth just isn't going to very tip resistant, especially, as Chester pointed out, in portrait mode. And they can't fix it by making the fold out part heavy, because keeping the weight down is critical.

You can make a piece that hinges like an easel have a good six inches of swing, which makes for a pretty stable footprint.

Anywho, as I say, I don't really like the sound of any of this. Fiddly parts aren't really Apple's style.
  • Reply 216 of 257
    Quote:

You must be reading my mind. Though I was thinking two rods that take advantage of the stability of a right angled triangle. Of course, how you do that without it being fugly is another issue.........

Quote:

As much as I like the idea of the dock, I believe without this stand as part of he device it will never be a laptop replacement. Having to always bring the dock with you just isn't a solution, it's a pain in the ass.

<snip>

Yep.

I have confindence in their ability to cram sufficient functionality into the device. Seems to me it's the ergonomics that are the key to the whole thing.

On that score, I'm yet to be convinced by any of the suggestions I've seen. But then, that's what's really driving the current frenzy of interest IMO. If anyone can solve it, Apple can. The tablet's either got to be the pinnacle of their design aspirations or it's sunk.
  • Reply 217 of 257
    Quote:

This is precisely why the other companies should be worried, cause I believe this will be a laptop replacement. Let's have a revolution, not an accessory. Are Apple ambitious enough?

1) Typing excessively on a piece of glass instead of a full-sized keyboard is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

2) Having half my useable display go away because I need to type something is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

3) A 10? display over 13?+ is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

4) An ARM powered device of Intel Core is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

5) A several dozen GB of NAND when I can get 500GB HDD for less money is not going to overthrow the notebook market.
  • Reply 218 of 257
    Quote:

I have confindence in their ability to cram sufficient functionality into the device. Seems to me it's the ergonomics that are the key to the whole thing.

Exactly.
  • Reply 219 of 257
    Quote:

1) Typing excessively on a piece of glass instead of a full-sized keyboard is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

2) Having half my useable display go away because I need to type something is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

From my experience they don't have a lot to beat.

Quote:

3) A 10? display over 13?+ is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here. Netbooks are invariably by definition 10" on average.

Quote:

4) An ARM powered device of Intel Core is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

ARM is the rumor. It might not be an ARM.

Quote:

5) A several dozen GB of NAND when I can get 500GB HDD for less money is not going to overthrow the notebook market.

500GB netbook? Which planet is that?
  • Reply 220 of 257
    Quote:

Not quite sure what you're getting at here. Netbooks are invariably by definition 10" on average.

You said “overthrow the notebook market”, not netbook.

Also, note that despite the cramped screen and keyboard of a netbook they still are separate. Now, have a cramped virtual keyboard that you find on a netbook overlay the 10” display and you have considerably less space than you find on those small netbooks. The only saving grace is having the letters and numbers separated, like with iPhone OS, but that isn’t ideal for people trying to use this like a notebook.

Quote:

ARM is the rumor. It might not be an ARM.

I doubt it would Core, and it’s unlikely to be Atom. ARM is simply the coolest and most power efficient option available, which is one of many reasons why I don’t think it will have anything resembling Mac OS X on it.

Quote:

500GB netbook? Which planet is that?

If they have a 2.5” drive they can get a 500GB HDD, but you stated notebook, not netbook. Plus, this will surely be NAND so the price per GB while also being small in capacity by comparison.

This looks like 10” 16:9 display. Superimpose the one on the other and you get a pointless device.
    Even this small keyboard would make trying to reply to a forum like AI extremely tasking. I’d rather use my thumbs on the iPhone.
    I think that we’ll see a back panel multitouch for gestures so you can hold the tablet securely while still using your fingers to navigate and have a curved virtual keyboard that will let your thumbs travel to all buttons. There is a UMPC with it at least in demo, and Apple did file a patent for it.
    Don’t get me wrong, I think there will be a larger, typical QWERTY virtual keyboard for when you are not holding it, but I don’t think that will be the typical input method. I can conceive of a million and one uses for a tablet which Apple has to address out of the gate, but not of them includes focusing on replacing the notebook market with a 10” display with virtual keyboard covering up half the screen.