Verizon, AT&T in 11th hour talks for CDMA, GSM Apple tablets - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 98
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Yeah, I really doubt the 3G modem will be included at all. Because it's such a data hog, plans would have to be prohibitively expensive for the carriers to seemingly justify the expense of the device on their network. But somehow Europe's providers can manage in Europe to cover the continent for $20 a month, plus give you landline internet. I call shenanigans on the telcos, but the FCC got its kness cut, so I guess the market is unregulated? Sounds like a plan to start ripping people off...

Are you sure about that $20/month??? I don't see how an outfit like Orange can stay in business.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phon...bestfortexting
  • Reply 22 of 98
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Whatever happened to Verizon's any device any app policy? Seems like if Apple made a cdma phone Verizon would be in a tricky position when it came to crippling it.

Quote:

Dubbed "Any Apps, Any Device," the move will reportedly let any cellphone, computer, or similar device that meets a certain minimum technical threshold run on the carrier's network and use its services. Those devices will be able to use any software a user demands rather than what Verizon dictates for its own handsets.

From: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._flagship.html
  • Reply 23 of 98
    ...why would I buy the Verizon-CDMA one that only works in the US?
  • Reply 24 of 98
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Plenty of United States citizens never leave these shores !
  • Reply 25 of 98
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:

....who cares if they don't cover some remote mountain out west.

Folks who like to travel out west.
  • Reply 26 of 98
    igeniusigenius Posts: 1,240member
    Quote:

Dunno about you. But most folks who live in the US spend 99%+ of their time here.
  • Reply 27 of 98
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

Verizon covers 85% of the USA with 3G towers.

AT&T covers 17% of the country.

(Yes... 5 *TIMES* difference.)

Gee... I wonder if Apple will sell more Verizon-Tablets... or AT&T-Tablets.

And just where did you come up with these statistics? By watching Verizon commercials?
  • Reply 28 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

Please, Apple, have a communication chip inside it so it will work with either AT&T or Verizon, without the need to buy a carrier specific model of the tablet.

honestly I expect that this would be the case. there's likely plenty of room for two chips (since there isn't one for both systems in existence right now).

the real question is exclusive contracts (hope not since ATT sucks and I'd rather stick with T-Mobile which is tons better in my area). and optional (I hope so cause I'd like the choice to go wifi only and save $400 a year)
  • Reply 29 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bartfat View Post

Yeah, I really doubt the 3G modem will be included at all. Because it's such a data hog, plans would have to be prohibitively expensive for the carriers to seemingly justify the expense of the device on their network. But somehow Europe's providers can manage in Europe to cover the continent for $20 a month, plus give you landline internet. I call shenanigans on the telcos, but the FCC got its kness cut, so I guess the market is unregulated? Sounds like a plan to start ripping people off...

Interesting. I didn't realize that it was so cheap.

In other words you can use your iPhone you contracted in France and surf the net in Italy or any other country and it only costs $20 a month.

Wonder why they charge 60¢ a minute roaming from outside your country to another?

By the way, I think your information is totally out of wack. Could you give a link or two?
  • Reply 30 of 98
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Dunno about you. But most folks who live in the US spend 99%+ of their time here.

And for the 1% that they spend elsewhere, the data roaming charges are insane!
  • Reply 31 of 98
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Besides WiFi, the Tablet will need 3G coverage. GSM/UMTS makes the most sense because of worldwide coverage. Verizon's CDMA is just niche coverage.

In terms of cost, ATT could bundle the Tablet with the iPhone for an incremental cost of say $10/mo. Use tiered data plans if needed initially. Those who opt out can just stay with WiFi.

I think that the CDMA tech is a dead end... no worldwide coverage and will be phased out. What would Apple go with a dead end tech? SJ does not have an history of going with dead end techs... he is the first to dump old techs.

The volume of the Tablet units will not be very hi. 1-2M/Q?
  • Reply 32 of 98
    Cool. As if it wasn't already like an iPhone with a bigger screen. I wonder if you can buy it without service (I don't want another hold the cell phone company has on me. If I'm at home, I can access everything I can with a data plan. I want and have a PHONE, not a PC.).
  • Reply 33 of 98
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Crazy... CDMA was killed off here many years ago, I find it staggering that it even becomes an issue. It almost seems like like commercial suicide that they'll have to make a tablet/iphone just to suit the few networks that actually use CDMA tech still.
  • Reply 34 of 98
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TammyT View Post

Verizon covers 85% of the USA with 3G towers.

AT&T covers 17% of the country.

(Yes... 5 *TIMES* difference.)

Gee... I wonder if Apple will sell more Verizon-Tablets... or AT&T-Tablets.

By area, not by population. Right?

So who cares if Verizon is covering the heck out of Death Valley?
  • Reply 35 of 98
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

Folks who like to travel out west.

A small percentage of the whole... especially during travel. (That's what the iPhone's for. I'll whip it out while in transit far more readily than a tablet. I'll pull the tablet out at the hotel... where there's most likely AT&T 3G coverage.)
  • Reply 35 of 98
    We are stating that no matter what network these devises work on, They belong in the category "TABSLATE" "Tabslates" are handheld computers larger than an IPONE but smaller than a LAPTOP.

In this case apple will be introducing the "TABSLATE" that will definitely be the biggest winner in the computer information war. This is the unit that allows all of us to become the center of knowledge and have all information at our fingertips... This particular "TABSLATE" by Apple will probably be called IPAD and is expected to sell over 10 MILLION units in its FIRST YEAR! The tabslates are coming...The tabslates are coming and Boy OH BOY are the EVER!by the way Stewve, the domains tablate.com, mytabslate.com, and itabslate.com are available for a price....
  • Reply 37 of 98
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I'm happy that Apple is finally at least considering offering a CDMA device. I can't even count the number of times where I've been somewhere that every single person with a GSM phone had no signal, while every one with a CDMA one had four or five bars. CDMA may be yesterdays tech, but at least it actually works.
  • Reply 38 of 98
    Seems most likely to me that Verizon and AT&T will offer a 'data-only' plan for the tablet device. The question is - for how much? Currently, a data-card for a laptop can cost anywhere from $40-$100 per month. I'd expect AT&T could bundle with iPhone (and maybe Verizon could in the future if they carry iPhone) and perhaps drop that price to $25-$30. But, iPhone + tablet = bandwidth drain. This will have to be resolved or consumers will bail.
  • Reply 39 of 98
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by adamw View Post

Please, Apple, have a communication chip inside it so it will work with either AT&T or Verizon, without the need to buy a carrier specific model of the tablet.

It could be something different entirely though...

Apple could be an MVNO on both AT&T and Verizon... and when we buy a tablet we buy an AT&T or Verizon version but we're paying Apple our data contract for that.

Then the tablet works
    1. at home & work hot spots

2. at verizon hot spots

3. at AT&T hotpsots

4. lastly, on either Verizon 3G

or AT&T 3G networks

I haven't really thought this through... so just throwing a thought out.
  • Reply 40 of 98
    Not to be an apologist for ATT, but you watch... once iPhone users get on Verizon, they'll be bitching about the service there as well. Though it may still be better, the sad truth is all the carriers suck.

Also - by the time many of the current iPhone users having trouble with call drops can switch to Verizon, ATT may have improved the network sufficiently to give as good or even better service. I wouldn't be so quick to jump to the "greener side".