McGraw-Hill CEO spills details on iPhone OS-based Apple tablet

Comments

• Reply 161 of 235
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

Thanks. I thought she was attractive but from that photo, she looks remarkably like a transexual from Argentina.

As for the CEO, he has an ego...and may have wanted to annoy Steve by mentioning a few tasty details without going too far. God knows what goes on in the minds of such idiots.

Anyway, something you can be sure of regarding the tablet; it understandably won't outsell the iphone or ipod. And I'm guessing it may not even outsell their notebooks (especially if Apple develop macbooks with touch screens somewhere down the line complete with app store).

So, how ground breaking can this thing possibly be? I'm wary of phrases like 'game changer' being banded about.

I do have this awful feeling it may be slightly disappointing after the dust has settled. The sort of 'bigging themselves up' claptrap when they come out with "...and it's got a 3.2mp camera..."!

Anyway, I have an Apple Store Gift Card waiting to be used....so fingers crossed this thing's gonna be damn good!

What does a "transexual from Argentina" look like; and how come you know?
  • Reply 162 of 235
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Na, thinking this was intentional. Any publishers that were on the fence are calling Steve tonight.

Exactly my thoughts. Jobs gave the OK for the controlled leak to entice a recalcitrant publisher to get on board before tomorrow's Show & Tell. Now why the M-H CEO would want to be party to encouraging a competitor I don't know...unless he hadn't really thought through that and the Apple execs were merely using his ego (and desire to be the first to discuss the tablet) to further their own agenda.
  • Reply 163 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If they think that standard Mac OS/X apps will have a chance in hell then yeah they have lost touch. However we are likely to see far more useful Touch apps than are currently seen. For example they might have a Touch based iPhoto that has capabilities from Aperture. Likewise a touch based photo editor is not impossible. Either way direct ports won't cut it, each app will need to be configured/ refactored or otherwise rethought for the Touch environment.

In any event what ultimately can be done with the new device depends upon it's hardware more than anything. RAM is key for many of these functionalities, but RAM also impacts size and heat. It will be interesting to see where the trade offs are made. A happy spot would be around 2GB of RAM.

The problem is that is a lot of board space, heat/power and expense. Apple will likely have 1GB or less on board. If so that greatly reduces the capability of the device to run memory hog apps if there is no paging.

Agreed.

While I believe in the possibility of media editing for the alleged tablet, it would be at the consumer level, not at a professional level.

I would expect to see editing capabilities more in line with the iLife suite rather than the pro applications (Final Cut, Logic, Photoshop, etc.). I have a three-year-old MacBook maxed out at 2 gigabytes of RAM. I know how well many of these pro applications perform at that level.

The insane thing is that many creative or technical professionals seem to imagine this device with limitless battery power, CPU speed, GPU capabilities, I/O, etc. Plus there are user interface considerations that come into play.

Is my iPod touch more powerful than my Wintel PC from 1998? Yes. Is my iPod touch a better device to edit spreadsheets? No.

The alleged tablet is not going to change some basic premises about human-computer interaction.
  • Reply 164 of 235
    ozexigeozexige Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Chubby?! Is that what it is called these days?

Nah - it was new 20 years ago
  • Reply 165 of 235
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Chubby?! Is that what it is called these days?

I guess the correct term would be "wood"
  • Reply 166 of 235
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I am really excited about the apple tablet, but I must say after watching that interview, the reporter can smell my textbooks any time...hubba hubba
  • Reply 167 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I'm just laughing at the image of Steve Jobs yelling obscenities in some back room on the Cupertino campus after this

Ala Ballmer? Throws chairs, says, "I'm going to f***in KILL Terry McGraw!!!".
  • Reply 168 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I'm surprised anyone felt it was okay to discuss this unannounced product the day before the launch. I feel sorry for anyone who may have been complicit, particularly if they work for Apple. Clearly, McGraw-Hill doesn't understand Apple's showmanship and mystique when they announce new "creations." It's part of the fun of the company's style and it's one of the reasons they're so successful.

This guy frakked up big time. Clearly has no idea what the hell Apple is about. Idiot partners that Apple have to deal with, but hey, that's the name of the game... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A12-KN5UijA (just a fun irreverent video for y'all)
  • Reply 169 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

What does a "transexual from Argentina" look like; and how come you know?

Transexuals from Argentina gives him a chubby.
  • Reply 170 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

This guy frakked up big time.

People who use this word should be banned from posting on the Internet.
  • Reply 171 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

People who use this word should be banned from posting on the Internet.

Frak you.
  • Reply 172 of 235
    A glorified iPhone for $999 is exactly what people with too much money to spend are looking for.

Truly revolutionary stuff so far.

A touchscreen?!!!!!

An advanced e-reader? NO WAY!

• Reply 173 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Many have complained that if the Tablet is a Touch with a larger screen, they'll be disappointed. Prepare to be disappointed. But it should be noted that the good news is that being as the tablet will not be designed to replace a full-feature laptop, it will be priced accordingly, i.e. below $700.

My guess is a 7-inch screen to achieve the desired price point, as opposed to the rumoured 10-inch screen. $500 would be a good long-term price target with a price a little higher likely to start.

Based on all reports that I have seen, a 10" screen is more likely, although a 7" version is certainly possible.

I highly doubt that Apple would sell the 10" for under $700.

Should most reasonable and not filthily rich consumers be disappointed with a glorified 10" iTouch for around $1,000? Definitely. Most of us who might want a tablet were hoping for a real computer that could replace our MacBook Pro, not this in-between device that is yet another semi-computer for our collection.
  • Reply 174 of 235
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexfischer View Post

if it doesn't run osx it's most likely a deal-breaker for me. \

If it did run OS X then it would suck. It's been understood from the beginning of the iPhone OS that the old Mac OS X--beautiful as it is for the way humans interact with it--is not appropriate for a touch interface. The iPhone OS interface (and all the extraordinary architecture beneath it) wasn't mainly about how to make an interface for a PHONE. It's about how to make an interface for TOUCH. And after having made something that amazing, they'd just forget the whole point of it and go make the same mistake Windows did with its tablets? No. That won't happen.

I'm sorry you've gotten yourself so set on something that was never, ever in the cards. But it was never in the cards. Ever.

Let it go an look at the tablet tomorrow for whatever it turns out to be. Maybe you won't have a use for it. But don't damn the thing for not being something it was never going to be.
  • Reply 175 of 235
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

wrong, wrong, wrong. Apple would not do that because then it would establish a precedent for other CEO-nitwits to talk about upcoming products. When Apple say don't disclose they mean it. No exceptions. The problem here is that CEO's think of themselves as a special breed for whom rules on non-disclosure do not apply.

Have we all forgotten the CEO of Sun and his premature comment about ZFS? Frozen out of the keynote, with no mention at all.

Agree. McGraw thinks a non-disclosure agreement doesn't apply to him, and/or he doesn't get how he could make a transgression. CNBC and FOX pulled his interview, and I bet McGraw is surprised about those pulls.
  • Reply 176 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

Based on all reports that I have seen, a 10" screen is more likely, although a 7" version is certainly possible.

I highly doubt that Apple would sell the 10" for under $700.

Should most reasonable and not filthily rich consumers be disappointed with a glorified 10" iTouch for around $1,000? Definitely. Most of us who might want a tablet were hoping for a real computer that could replace our MacBook Pro, not this in-between device that is yet another semi-computer for our collection.

The Whining has already begun !!! w00t
  • Reply 177 of 235
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

Agree. McGraw thinks a non-disclosure agreement doesn't apply to him, and/or he doesn't get how he could make a transgression. CNBC and FOX pulled his interview, and I bet McGraw is surprised about those pulls.

In Soviet Russia they send you to the Gulag for this kind of stuff. Pity.
  • Reply 178 of 235
    HEY THIS THREAD IS UNDER "TEMPORARY INSANITY" !!! YEAHHHHHHHHHhHHHH
  • Reply 179 of 235
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 115member
    You have to read between the lines here. While it's possible that this was just a major screwup, I think it's more likely that this was a play to get a few more publishers onboard at the last minute.
  • Reply 180 of 235
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iGenius View Post

IMO, a big expensive iTouch is a blunder. Unless it is cheap enough to be an impulse buy, I don't see folks snapping them up.

People said almost the exact same thing about the original iPod.

Then they said almost the exact same thing about the original iPhone.

And now, thank God, someone has said it about the tablet (sight unseen... which is the best way to make a declaration like this, no doubt).