Can someone please explain the use of the tablet to me?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Teachers could certainly use tablets, especially those like EFL teachers who often work with small groups.

Restaurant managers could use them to help with seating plans. Add wedding planners here.

Fire departments could use them to allocate assets.

Lots of pros could use tablets given the right apps.

Sure.

Yes, the tablet form-factor is ideal for a number of on-the-go applications. Point of sale, nursing and so on. But all of these applications could be met by an iPhone class CPU and GPU.

Any of these professions could make use of such a device, as long as the software was available.

But they would not need a "pro" version of the hardware.

C.
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ArticulatedArm View Post

IMO you are dramatically underestimating people. I think most people want to do a lot more with their PCs but don't have the money or the knowledge and ability. To bad Jobs can't address those issues rather than treating them like chimps.

If a user wants to do something more with their tablet. Then they buy an app for it.

The tablet would be great for a large range of general purpose tasks. But bear in mind the nature of a touch interface; it's better for getting stuff out of a computer than putting stuff in.

C.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I am a visual artist.

I need me my 30" screen. Wish it was bigger.

I need a big Wacom tablet.

I need a mostrous collection of CPU Hungry 2D and 3D applications

And my Mac Pro - is a bit underpowered at times.

A tablet-form-factor computer is not going to sell to me for the purposes of work.

But as an entertainment device, I would be quite interested.

C.

Well I AM an artist.. but I am a sculptor and don't require nor can I afford a big Wacom that I would only use in a limited capacity. So I can't justify the expense. I also have no pressing need for a laptop.. a tablet would be a PERFECT solution for me.

I bet there are a ton of right brain people that would prefer a more intuitive method to interact with their computers as well. If Microsofts user interface wasn't so poor I believe many would have discovered that already.

Also, note that Apple computers main market was towards artists in the past.. I think a tablet for artists fits that MO much more than a media player.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

I still don't get it. I don't see what benefits a professional computer user would get by reducing the screen size and losing the keyboard.

C.

Full computer functionality with ultra-portibility, more like an Air on steroids. All the benefits of the  Tablet--like gaming and reading. Direct manipulation of data. Easy learning curve, efficient operation. Revolutionary user-interface.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:

If a user wants to do something more with their tablet. Then they buy an app for it.

The tablet would be great for a large range of general purpose tasks. But bear in mind the nature of a touch interface; it's better for getting stuff out of a computer than putting stuff in.

C.

Not according to this guy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcKqyn-gUbY
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:

Not according to this guy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcKqyn-gUbY

If you watch the video.. Which I have done several times.. What does he achieve?

He uses multi-touch to accelerate and optimise the browsing of data in visual form.

That's what its good for!

C.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ohsnapple View Post

for 600 to 800 bucks? when an iPod touch would cost half that and give the same results?

I would never read a book on a touch. I have tried on my iPhone.

I wouldn't watch a movie on it either.

Nor would I browse the web, if I had a bigger screen available.

So for those activities, a tablet would be as good as - or better than an iPod touch. And for many people who use netbooks for these applications, the tablet would be a much better experience.

So $599-$699 seems okay. I think more is unlikely.

C.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    He says in the video that computer controls should be adapting to us not the other way around. what if you want to use a different keyboard pattern LIKE Dvorak.. or a completely different configuration of buttons?

And creating and manipulating something on screen IS putting in data. It would be impossible to control that stuff he did without that ability to input information in that way with so many control points and so accurately. We just need to learn how to use all that input power to make all our work more efficient.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:

He says in the video that computer controls should be adapting to us not the other way around. what if you want to use a different keyboard pattern LIKE Dvorak.. or a completely different configuration of buttons?

And creating and manipulating something on screen IS putting in data. It would be impossible to control that stuff he did without that ability to input information in that way with so many control points and so accurately. We just need to learn how to use all that input power to make all our work more efficient.

Arm,

I don't think you get what I am saying.

Each input method has its strengths and weaknesses.
    • The scrollwheel is good at scrolling.

• The keyboard is good at inputting text.

• The Wacom/stylus combo is great for painting and drawing

• And the touch surface is great for moving through visual data and selecting.

That's what I meant when I said the touch-surface is good for getting out of a computer. It's simply awesome for browsing through a virtual space. It's much less good at the sort of input drudgery required to write a report or do a spreadsheet.

C.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:

Arm,

I don't think you get what I am saying.

Each input method has its strengths and weaknesses.
    • The scrollwheel is good at scrolling.

• The keyboard is good at inputting text.

• The Wacom/stylus combo is great for painting and drawing

• And the touch surface is great for moving through visual data and selecting.

That's what I meant when I said the touch-surface is good for getting out of a computer. It's simply awesome for browsing through a virtual space. It's much less good at the sort of input drudgery required to write a report or do a spreadsheet.

C.

I understand what you are saying.. I just don't think you realize all the potential the touch interface has for inputing data and controlling apps.. and how poor the keyboards and mouses we use are for this.

I would like to see how many people are touch typists anyway.. probably a minute number of computer users. If no one can touch type very efficiently is it a good input method?
  • Reply 31 of 61
    You guys realize the tablet isn't out yet? Is it really worth arguing the merits of a product that we don't even know official details of?

"Well, I heard these rumors, and they think it's going to look like this, so it obviously must be a useless device"

It's still a little early to call this one. Can't you just wait a couple more hours to figure out if the tablet has any real purpose?
  • Reply 32 of 61
    @ bungamunji.

We got nothin better to do to kill time!
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:

@ bungamunji.

We got nothin better to do to kill time!

Yeah, This is fun!

And in a couple of hours the referee blows the whistle and we see who came closest!

C.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Haha, me either. I mean, I'm doing the same thing you guys are. But the hype is a little bit ridiculous. It just cracks me up when people seriously argue over things that aren't announced yet.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    It doesn't really surprise me people are arguing.. I know how much I have invested in this -- lots of time and thought. I have a bad feeling my dreams are about to get dashed from what I have heard so far though..
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:

Yeah, This is fun!

And in a couple of hours the referee blows the whistle and we see who came closest!

C.

Sadly, from what I have heard so far, I think you may end up being right about what we get.. BUT.. the question then becomes.. did we get what we really need?
  • Reply 37 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bungamunji View Post

Haha, me either. I mean, I'm doing the same thing you guys are. But the hype is a little bit ridiculous. It just cracks me up when people seriously argue over things that aren't announced yet.

the tablets like apple's Area 51. The most famous thing that doesn't exist.

the odd thing is despite my inability to see how this "rumored" product would be useful, i'm still expecting to be won by it once it's presented
  • Reply 38 of 61
    If it allows coupling of a keyboard and ten-key (USB or BT) then it will be very useful for lots of people.

As a teacher, I can see plenty of ways even just a touch-based device could be very useful, not just for accessing data, but inputting. I already use my iPhone for plenty of tasks I used to use a notebook for.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

did we get what we really need?

Depends who you mean by we.

I think we professionals did not get what we need from this product.

But to be fair... we professionals have had the entire computer industry making us products for the last 25 years.

But we consumers will get a device which is pretty cool, and people will ask why no one has build a consumer computer before.

C.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

Depends who you mean by we.

I think we professionals did not get what we need from this product.

But to be fair... we professionals have had the entire computer industry making us products for the last 25 years.

But we consumers will get a device which is pretty cool, and people will ask why no one has build a consumer computer before.

C.

The problem I have with this though is that I think ANYONE is capable of making the kind of device you are talking about. I think the CES was flooded with them.

This is why it is so imperative that Apple deal with the bigger issues.. because they are the only ones that can possibly handle them. If they don't do it then who will? This is why I say leave the media machines to them.

The way I look at it is that apple is in a position to make a wacom or Cintiq that works seamlessly with all the other capabilities Apple computers have... Imagine a Modbook made by Apple melded with the touch interface from the video I showed you before crossed with a fingerWorks keyboard.. that's my Apple tablet. I think I'm going to have to make it myself!