Apple reveals long-awaited multi-touch 'iPad'

Comments

• Reply 281 of 785
    Thank god for all the geniuses at this forum...... I guess I won't waste my time or money on this abject failure of a product.

Yes, not one iPad has been sold yet, but the geniuses here (you know who you are!) know that this product will be a total failure.

Why, I could buy a netbook and run ex pee and squeeze together my fingers on those tiny made of junk keyboards and it would cost so much less..... why would anyone in their right mind want an iPad???

As a matter of fact, I could have saved a lot of money in the past because these geniuses also said:

iPod was a joke, overpriced, and would never sell.

iPhone was overpriced, not a blackberry, on the crummy AT&T network and would fail.

App store would never catch on.

Apple Stores would fail.

As a matter of fact everything Apple sells is overpriced - you can get much cheaper hardware elsewhere, we are all foolish "fanboys" wasting our money. I mean, why drive a BMW when you can drive a Chevy Nova?

Elegance is unimportant

Quality is irrelevant

Design is meaningless

Value is only definable in dollars

Simplicity equals mediocrity.

Yes, THANK GOD for the geniuses that have been so kind to inform me today of how stupid and wasteful this and all Apple products are!!!
  • Reply 282 of 785
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Agreed. I really wanted a fully functional (read Mac OS X) Apple-made tablet, but I think I'll have to settle on a 8.9" Asus Eee PC T91MT convertible netbook. It has multi-touch and you can write on it. And at $484 (Amazon) it's cheaper and I can get a 3G or 4G card from my cellular vendor of choice.

[CENTER]If you really need a MacBook Tablet that badly, these guys can help you out...

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook[/CENTER]
  • Reply 283 of 785
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    The iMaxiPad...a big fat iPod Touch. A useless device.

Someone commented that they would take that on vacation instead, and manage their photos. How do you plan on doing that without your Mac to sync the photos via iTunes? Nice try!

The bezel is to keep your fingers off the viewable area so you can see what you are doing. Bunch of morons that can't figure that one out.
  • Reply 284 of 785
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazda 3s View Post

what's the screen resolution?

1064 x 768
  • Reply 285 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Why get this for more when i can do everything for cheaper on the tablet convertable netbooks that have built in keyboards? I can run full programs on them even run flash that this can't. Also can put osx on it if you like hacking.

Then don't get one. No one's forcing you too. I don't plan on getting one. It fills a gap between my iPhone and my laptop, but not one that I feel the need to spend $500+ for at this time.

If you carry a purse, or man-purse/backpack with you everywhere, this fits nicely with that. You can't put a netbook in your pocket, can you?

Leo LaPorte just said on his live stream that until you hold this thing in your hand (he has already) you won't understand how great it is.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

This is proof that a lot of apple fans ignore existing products just because they dont have an apple logo on them.

Just because we're not as disappionted as you appear to be doesn't mean we're all fanboy reality distortion field impacted.

As far a looking at non-Apple products goes...I'm 5 days into testing a Nexus One phone, and loving it. It far surpasses the iPhone in almost every respect. It's got flaws, and the T-Mobile service is worse than AT&T, and I'm not fond of some of the hoops I have to jump through to make it work with my Mac world, but it's certainly proof that some of us look at, and appreciate, non-Apple products.
  • Reply 286 of 785
    This thing is bee-utiful. This is not a NEED device, it's an incredible WANT device. It is a all-in-one entertainment gotta-have. Now quit whining about what it can't do.
  • Reply 287 of 785
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I am entirely underwhelmed. Hardly more than an enlarged Touch.

The upside is I won't have to disturb the cobwebs encasing my wallet and my Macbook suddenly seems to be better value for money.
  • Reply 288 of 785
    I think it's perfect. I already own a 3G and a Macbook, but this definitely does create it's own space. My iPhone, as capable as it is, really only functions for me in a few ways. iPod, Phone, TXT, e-mail and the quick weather/ scores check. The internet is still too mobile on the iphone to fully enjoy, and the screen is just too small to watch video for my likes.

I will be buying an iPad the day they are released. I will not be buying the 3G capable, as I can use the 3G internet on my iPhone if I need internet access that badly. Where I see this thing really fitting in is for people who travel a lot.

Currently, when I travel, I have to lug around my macbook, for basically full on internet access and video. With the iPad, I'll be able to throw my phone in my pocket, and my iPad in my carry on, leaving the macbook at home.

Unfortunately, when I get around to purchasing an iMac, I think my macbook will begin to be phased out, it is over 2 years old now anyway.
  • Reply 289 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

[CENTER]In many ways, I find iWork much better to use than MS Office, especially Apple Keynote.[/CENTER]

This has been discussed ad nauseam in these Forums. Yes, Keynote is superior to PPT. But Numbers is nowhere near as useful or functional as Excel (it has somewhat better charting capabilities, though). Pages and Word.... I am sort of indifferent (slight preference for Word).
  • Reply 290 of 785
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Minuses:

Battery Life

Lack of camera for video chat (I could have seen that as a big thing)

Lack of multi-tasking

I highly doubt you can use other e-books other than the Apple ibook format. I would also doubt you can use the iBook format else where (prove me wrong please!)

Lots of wasted bezel space makes it look awkward.

Protective case will be extra (though at least a decent design)

iPhone OS, App Store: Means we have to play by Apple's very strict rules. Makes me curious how file organization will be done especially when it comes to attachments in mail.

10 hours of video and 30 days of standby is a minus?

I personally never thought video chat was coming to this, I understand some wanted it though.

Multitasking in iPhone OS 4.0 (I hope)

It uses the ePub format

The bezel is there so you can get a good enough grip on it without touching the touch screen, does look awkward though

Cases are always extra with Apple.. nothing new

We'll see about attachments, I don't think there is a problem with formats that Apple supports through first party applications, so iWork should help there. In the end, it is and has always been intended to be a companion device, so there are some restrictions for the sake of usability.
  • Reply 291 of 785
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

[CENTER] No... So that one might video conference at their leisure - [/CENTER]

Read more posts...people are complaining saying it should have two cameras. Yes, one for iChat, but one on the back like the iPhone.
  • Reply 292 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Thank god for all the geniuses at this forum...... I guess I won't waste my time or money on this abject failure of a product.

Yes, not one iPad has been sold yet, but the geniuses here (you know who you are!) know that this product will be a total failure.

Why, I could buy a netbook and run ex pee and squeeze together my fingers on those tiny made of junk keyboards and it would cost so much less..... why would anyone in their right mind want an iPad???

As a matter of fact, I could have saved a lot of money in the past because these geniuses also said:

iPhone was overpriced, not a blackberry, on the crummy AT&T network and would fail.

Apple Stores would fail.

As a matter of fact everything Apple sells is overpriced - you can get much cheaper hardware elsewhere, we are all foolish "fanboys" wasting our money. I mean, why drive a BMW when you can drive a Chevy Nova?

Elegance is unimportant

Quality is irrelevant

Design is meaningless

Yes, THANK GOD for the geniuses that have been so kind to inform me today of how stupid and wasteful this and all Apple products are!!!

Best Post Of The Entire Day! Cheers Mate.
  • Reply 293 of 785
    Quote:

Like I said, I'll be buying one ASAP, but...

I really do wish that the iPad at least had:

1. a modern display aspect ratio (16x9 or16x10)

Those aspect ratios would be a disaster for a tablet device that would frequently be used to read books (and magazines, and newspapers, etc.)

Quote:

2. at least a front facing camera for video conferencing.

That would be nice. Maybe AT&T required 3G versions not to have a camera and Apple had to keep the WiFi-only version consistent.

Quote:

3. a media card reader of some sort

Looks like Apple will provide some sort of accessory to do this, though having a built-in SD reader would have been very convenient.
  • Reply 294 of 785
    You still cannot customize a home screen?? WTF? No camera in the Facebook/Twitter/Youtube age? No running multiple apps? I don't know..
  • Reply 295 of 785
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodinho View Post

Just saw that you can actually connect cameras or SD cards with an Apple accessory, as well as use Apple's Wireless Keyboard! Neat! Now it begins replacing the netbooks... if only it could do iChat.

[CENTER]The iPad is a lot of things, but I firmly believe that few will see this 'New Creation' as a suitable replacement for a fully-functioning, real OS running netbook with a built-in web camera, media card reader, user removable battery, optical media supporting, et al.[/CENTER]
  • Reply 296 of 785
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    wait a minute ?

1. no INTEL chip inside the iPad!

2. and no update of the macbook pro!

Are we going to see a custom designed Apple chip in the new MBP in June? That'll be a stellar move by Apple. Intel dropping nvidia. Apple dropping intel, in favour of nvidia. It is a winwin to Apple and us. We get better computers, with better battery life at a competitive price!

3. gotta love the new design of the iPad. I hope the new iPhone is going to look similar.

4. I don't understand the keyboard iPad dock. Will the dock work with a wireless keyboard as well?

I am well impressed! Much kudos to Ive & his team.
  • Reply 297 of 785
    Can it be used in disk mode, i.e., as an external hard drive?
  • Reply 298 of 785
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nowayout11 View Post

No hand recognition for homework, note taking, etc.

Oh, I'm pretty sure there's at least one developer somewhere right now laying down plans for building an app for that.
  • Reply 299 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

Apple Stores would fail.

Elegance is unimportant

Quality is irrelevant

Design is meaningless

I'm forever grateful that there is retards like you to straighten out all those smart people, what we would do without you I don't know....
  • Reply 300 of 785
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

All of you morons just registered today to ditch apple? For crying out loud don't you idiots have anything better to do than troll apple product launches....2 posts, 1 post, 3 posts, everyone of you...get a girlfriend, or boyfriend...jesus...apple is so hot all the losers flog around like flies.

They're losers? They need girlfriends? They need to find something better to do?? OK there "Myapplelove" Now go by your maxipod -