Apple introduces iBooks store for iPad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illimiter View Post

Anyone notice the inclusion of Eclipse (third book in the Twilight saga) on the virtual bookshelf?

Could this be a subtle jab at Steve Ballmer (regarding how the cover of Twilight, which consists of hands cradling an apple, was featured in his presentation of the HP slate computer)... as in, you've been 'Eclipsed'?

You are reading way too much into this.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

So... no McGraw-Hill? \

So does that mean no textbooks for the iPad?
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Just means they haven't signed on yet. They will launch day, when lines at every Apple Store stretch for blocks, and all the available iPads sell out in an hour.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

No, it means McGraw-Hill's loudmouth CEO broke his NDA by leaking info about the tablet on live TV the day before the keynote.

It will all shake out in the end, but for today they got their company logo removed from slide deck for the keynote.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibookmark View Post

I wonder if you'll be able to highlight text of the books?

Whenever I read Apples statement of TV shows followed by YouTube dies that mean limited codec, just like the iPhone??? Been waiting all day for the spoiler free event but there is to much traffic. It just hangs for hours and hours. Assuming no flash right as they would have said as so. What about

xvid ???!!
  • Reply 46 of 50
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    I really hope I can access iBookstore on my iPod touch. That would rock.
  • Reply 47 of 50
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    as i have said, some are looking at the ipad as if through a cocktail straw

THIS IS HUGE

text books and kicking amazon to the curb

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/23912/

students given a choice will use the iPad at college and hope at k-12

i can't wait to get rid of my kids backpacks
  • Reply 48 of 50
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I have question.

Will it be possible to buy a book or a newspaper or a magazine elsewhere for the Ipad. For example, could Amazon start selling books that would work on the IPad? Could my local newspaper sell me his newspaper directly instead of going through apple store?

If that thing doesnt allow to go elsewhere its going to become just like AppleTV, which is just a portal to the Apple stores, which is basicly useless, unless you hack the crap out of it, like I did.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhowarth View Post

So... no McGraw-Hill? \

Steve shipped PowerMacs with obsolete rage 128 graphics chips and kept the start of the art Radeon chips out of Macs for months because they tipped off new machines. Not selling McGraw hill isn't so far fetched.

That being said, the iPad has the potential to be the next big thing in education. In fact, I think it has a lot more potential in a classroom than it does as a giant media player. Replacing both the textbooks and the stack of class notebooks. Especially if they introduce a stylus mode. Not having McGraw-Hill on board would be a fatal mistake if they ever enter that market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Anyone know whether iBooks allow user's personal PDF and ePub collection?

At the moment, no. Don't be surprised if ePub functionality shows up for the iPhone sooner rather than later from Apple or a third party.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Dammit Apple, why didn't you just name the freggin' thing iBook instead of iPad? IPAD, I mean, come on, it sounds like something made by Tampax for crying out loud!

Good grief - every time you write on a pad of paper you think of Tampax? How sophomoric can you get?