Apple unveils new multi-touch version of iWork created for iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorph View Post

They have merged the two to the extent that it makes any sense to: 80% of their codebases are shared.

I suspect that most of the difference is spelled 'C-A-R-B-O-N.'

iPhone OS has always been capable of full, UNIX-style multitasking. The one-app-at-a-time limitation on the iPhone was imposed at the user level in order to avoid draining the battery (which is capable of draining remarkably quickly) or overtaxing the processor (which isn't that hot). It is not and has never been a fundamental limitation of the OS, and so the presence of iPhone OS on the iPad says nothing about whether it can support multitasking. Even if it doesn't now, Apple can enable it to any degree at any time. The kernel is and has always been up to the task; the hardware hasn't.

As released, it's a well-executed version 1. It's a nice piece of kit. The potential of the device is what's breathtaking to me.

When most people think converged, they think GUI and programs running without much change.

As the iPhone/Touch was based on the Mac version from the very beginning, it's not correct to say that they are merging. They are going their own ways. That doesn't mean that the abilities of the two don't show overlap. They have from the very beginning with Safari and other apps.

Right now, it's a larger screen and better cpu that enables more work to be done. A keyboard was a natural extension.

However, any Mac apps will need to be extensively rewritten to be used on the iPad. That's not convergence. Totally different GUI. I thought we would see more of a modification because of the greater real estate.

However, this will surely cut into the Macbook market, especially in education. The $499 model is all they need at the K-8 levels. Often, students are given a machine to take home with them, and this a far better device to do that with. Much less expensive, much lighter, much smaller. I'm willing to bet that a lot of educational programs will make their debut on this within the coming year. As I said earlier, iWork is BIG. It will encourage developers to have productivity apps for this, and along with the keyboard dock, will not just damage the book reader market, but the netbook market as well.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sgt Zeppelin View Post

Also, what about pulling documents from outside sources. Will we be able to open and edit documents on the web or attached in emails? Also, what choices will we have for sharing documents? I'm thinking it will be a post to iWork.com and send the link.

I'm impressed with the UI (when does Apple disappoint?), but I'm not sure how well the rest has been thought out.

I'm sure it's been well thought out. If Apple does anything, they think things out well.

That doesn't mean they will please everyone. Certainly not at first.

At the PC sites, they are already trying to dismiss this, but they're missing the point.

We will know more as more developers get the new SDK which they can do starting today.

I'm sure that by the time it's available, we will know every little detail.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    One thing I don't get is how well Google maps, especially Street View will work without a GPS. While it does have the compass for orienting oneself on a map, it seems to rely on the tower method of location. That's only good for 30 to 200 feet depending on where you are.

I know that's off topic, but there's no real place to post that right now.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Any word on a real iWork update for those of us not interested in this piece of junk?
  • Reply 25 of 63
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

One thing I don't get is how well Google maps, especially Street View will work without a GPS. While it does have the compass for orienting oneself on a map, it seems to rely on the tower method of location. That's only good for 30 to 200 feet depending on where you are.

I know that's off topic, but there's no real place to post that right now.

My iPhone does really well (most of the time) indoors where you don't get a gps signal, so this isn't entirely surprising to me.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Any word on a real iWork update for those of us not interested in this piece of junk?

Thanks for the troll.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

My iPhone does really well (most of the time) indoors where you don't get a gps signal, so this isn't entirely surprising to me.

So you're saying that without GPS, even indoors, your phone can pinpoint where you are to just a few feet?
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:

Thanks for the troll.

Thanks for not answering my question troll.

See I can do it to!
  • Reply 29 of 63
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,435member
    Quote:

See I can do it to!

iWork update is guaranteed to come on February 29th. I'll be pre-ordering.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

iWork update is guaranteed to come on February 29th. I'll be pre-ordering.

I didn't get a chance to listen in today. Did they announce another event? Hope they bring out the MacBook Pro updates!
  • Reply 31 of 63
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    [QUOTE= Hope they bring out the MacBook Pro updates![/QUOTE] yep have been waiting sometime on this. need one.
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:

See I can do it to!

Except that it was a troll. You could have asked about iWork without trolling the iPad at the same time. Just be careful.

Criticism is fine when it means something.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:

Except that it was a troll. You could have asked about iWork without trolling the iPad at the same time. Just be careful.

I agree Razorpit was bitching for sake of just that, no constructive feedback.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Hey

I was just wandering, but as this iPad doesn't have a USB port but has iWork, how are we suppose to print documents out or spreadsheets if we don't have a WiFi printer. And also what are the chances of apple allowing some sort of external hard drive for files to be saved on, as 64GB is great until you want to work on a project with multiply link files/documents.

• Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I agree Razorpit was bitching for sake of just that, no constructive feedback.

Now that a day has passed, take off your rose colored glasses and look at this thing for what it is, a piece of overpriced junk. It doesn't solve anyone's needs that can be solved better by other means. This can't replace a phone and it can't replace a laptop. For everyone who was falling over themselves prior to announcement you have to feel pretty stupid right now. That's okay, we're hear to help, admitting this is a turd is the first step to recovery. Come back to me a year from now when the real version hits the streets with everything that is missing from the first release.

Even two of the co-hosts on MacBreak said they would not be interested in buying one of these. That's pretty bad considering all of the hype prior to yesterday.

All that was missing from the keynote was for Jobs to say this was another hobby, because the last time we saw a product with as little purpose as this was when the Apple TV came out.

Is that enough constructive criticism for you?
  • Reply 36 of 63
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    My wife was sold on it the second she saw the demo of this. I for one am really thrilled with this.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spikeme View Post

Hey

I was just wandering, but as this iPad doesn't have a USB port but has iWork, how are we suppose to print documents out or spreadsheets if we don't have a WiFi printer. And also what are the chances of apple allowing some sort of external hard drive for files to be saved on, as 64GB is great until you want to work on a project with multiply link files/documents.

You have to imagine there will be all kinds of accessory dongles, including USB.

There aren't too many details on iWork yet, but it's hard to imagine that it can't print.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spikeme View Post

Hey

There's a question as to whether the 30 pin connector will allow that, as Apple has a USN connector and SD adaptor kit. I guess we'll know about the time it's released. That keyboard dock also allows for computer connecting and syncing at the same time with an additional 30 pin connector.

A number of possibilities.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:

Now that a day has passed, take off your rose colored glasses and look at this thing for what it is, a piece of overpriced junk. It doesn't solve anyone's needs that can be solved better by other means. This can't replace a phone and it can't replace a laptop. For everyone who was falling over themselves prior to announcement you have to feel pretty stupid right now. That's okay, we're hear to help, admitting this is a turd is the first step to recovery. Come back to me a year from now when the real version hits the streets with everything that is missing from the first release.

Even two of the co-hosts on MacBreak said they would not be interested in buying one of these. That's pretty bad considering all of the hype prior to yesterday.

All that was missing from the keynote was for Jobs to say this was another hobby, because the last time we saw a product with as little purpose as this was when the Apple TV came out.

Is that enough constructive criticism for you?

I don't agree with it, but it's better than what you said before, by a bit. But it wasn't constructive. Look up what constructive criticism means.

Actually, some of those who haven't handled it have said that, but it's interesting that those who have, have almost all said the opposite.

http://mossblog.allthingsd.com/20100...d-impressions/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358507,00.asp

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358496,00.asp

There's more stuff. Even Dvorak, on Cranky Geeks said that it will sell like hotcakes.

I know that some in the PC world are not happy with this, but that's to be expected as it hits home.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Dvorak likes it? Now I'm worried.